Photo

GPL Query - one for DCN

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 526 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:57

Apologies for using the forum for what is essentially a PM, but Doug's profile is not accepting PMs at present....

Doug - I wonder if you may be able to help me. I have a query regarding the GPL, and I am conscious that when you kindly posted the Lauda / BRM P160C shots on TNF some time ago they very quickly ended-up distributed across the web....

Does the GPL contain many F2 or ancillary race images in its archives? In particular I am trying to find decent photos of the following (Mr Lauda again, of course...)

30/8/1971- Brands Hatch F2 Rothmans International Trophy - March 712M #22
28/5/1972 - Brands Hatch Fordsport Capri Trophy - Ford Capri #12

I've never seen a Lauda pic from the Rothmans International Trophy, and the ones I have from the Fordsport race (whilst clear on some cars) all have Lauda's machine somewhat distant, making detailed work tricky.

Thanks once again for all your help - sorry to be a pain!

Kind regards.

Jon

Edited by Jon Saltinstall, 04 April 2019 - 09:52.

Advertisement

#2 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:30

Jon, somewhere, just possibly, there might be some BBC footage of the 1971 Brands F2 race. The television cameras (I think it was BBC) were there that day as I remember watching the dramatic battle in the supporting 2-litre sports car race. There's a clip of John Hine's accident on YouTube but that's all I can find from the day. I assume the cameras were there for the F2 - I don't remember how much was broadcast - but I've never seen any clips.

#3 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:11

I agree John it was shown live on BBC. I recall the camera following Ronnie in the F2 race for lap after lap, as they were wont to do then, and especially the Vicks advert on his car!

#4 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 526 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 15:38

Thanks guys - I will see what (if anything) I can find of the footage. It's quite surprising that there aren't more photos from the meeting, given that It had been four years since Brands Hatch had hosted an F2 race and it was well-attended (a crowd of 30,000 turned up for the Bank Holiday event). 

#5 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 15:42

I agree John it was shown live on BBC. I recall the camera following Ronnie in the F2 race for lap after lap, as they were wont to do then, and especially the Vicks advert on his car!

Clearly left no impression on me Dan, but I must have watched it! Perhaps I was spoilt by the Crystal Palace race earlier that year which had plenty of good battles raging, Ronnie and Tim Schenken included. The Brands 2-litre sports car race has stayed with me though, and not just for John Hine's accident - terrific battle at the front, and well covered on television too. 

#6 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 16:01

Thanks guys - I will see what (if anything) I can find of the footage. It's quite surprising that there aren't more photos from the meeting, given that It had been four years since Brands Hatch had hosted an F2 race and it was well-attended (a crowd of 30,000 turned up for the Bank Holiday event). 

A Google search (Rothmans International Brands Hatch) found, apart from shots of Ronnie and Graham Hill, a grid picture, copyright Getty. Primarily it shows the Fittipaldi brothers but, behind Wilson, I'm pretty sure that's Niki. (middle of the third row?) Approximately 5% of his March is visible, so not much use!

There's also a spectator shot of cars sweeping through Paddock, but it's hard to identify cars and drivers, let alone detail.

#7 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 16:27

Sorry Jon - yes we do have some F2 coverage but not very much from the period you require.  I very much doubt we would have anything of the Ford Capri from 1972.  Geoff Goddard for example would very seldom "waste good celluloid" on "------ saloon cars".   :cool:   Sorry again.

DCN

#8 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 526 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 21:32

Thanks Doug - I appreciate the response. It was a long shot anyway. Interesting to hear Geoff's view of saloon cars, though he may have enjoyed the hooliganism of that Capri race.,

John - I've seen the photo you refer to and I agree that it's Lauda on the grid shot but as you say, there's little of his car visible. There's another colour photo I've seen (possibly a Brabham I recall) where his March is a fuzzy image in the background, but that's about it as far as I can see. I've examined pretty much every contemporary European motor sport magazine and most have few if any photos, despite the race's high profile. So unless there are some private photos out there that have not been published, I think I might be struggling.......

Edited by Jon Saltinstall, 04 April 2019 - 21:35.

#9 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 21:51

A long shot Jon but here is the sole piece of TV/film footage I've ever seen from that day: the John Hine/ Wilson Fittipaldi incident from the sports car race. Might it be worth contacting 'The Fastlane', who uploaded the clip' to see if he knows if there's more? (As Dan confirms, the F2 race was definitely filmed). Unlikely I suppose because it seems that this clip was shown on the news and may have originated from there, rather than the sports broadcast. Also, briefly, there is a french caption, just to complicate things! I guess it was shown on TF1......

https://www.youtube....h?v=KP-hecniXyw

#10 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 526 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:11

Thanks John - I will give it a go!

#11 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,005 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:18

That was a bit loutish from Fittipaldi, wasn't it?  I normally use a pedal to brake. 

#12 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 13:15

Wilson loses it doesn't he?  Shame, a good battle.

Jon, I've found a photo of Niki! In Motor Sport, would you believe? I was hunting for some info on the 1983 Spirit and, in my 1980s F2 cuttings, I found an interesting 1982 article by Alan Henry looking at the history of F2 from 1967, and reflecting on its current state. The article is headed by a 1971 colour shot at Westfield, Reutemann leading Lauda, Schenken and Jaussaud.

It's the April 1982 issue, page 446. If you're looking at the Motor Sport online archive it's page 80. It's only a head-on shot of the March but, I presume, better than nothing!

#13 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 526 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 13:36

John - that is fantastic, thank you so much! This shot appears to have been taken a few seconds later than the one I referred to earlier, where Lauda is a fuzzy blob further back round the bend. I have a set of the "disk"versions of the Motorsport archives too, so I will see if that shows up any clearer than the on-line scan. 

I really appreciate you taking the time to look.