- - - - -

Automobilista 2

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,017 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 19:01

Some of you may be familiar with Reiza Studios' gMotor- based effort (think rFactor) from a couple years back.

It was a known fact that the team was developing a new hardcore sim, but very little was actually known about it - until now:

I'm going to go all Ovdrone on this and call it: H Y P E !

This is a sim racer's wet dream! A title that does so many things right, but one has been held back by an old graphics engine is finally getting the upgrade it so deserves!

Many regard AMS 'as the perfect sim', but with the caveat that it's missing rain and VR. From December onwards, not anymore. Why this is such a big piece of news is Reiza's track record in delivering quality content and actually listening to their fans.

They may not always make the deadlines they plan to hit, but when it happens, one can be sure the content is as polished as it could be. This, combined with their general friendly attitude towards fans and loyal customers, is what earns them a considerable amount of goodwill and is also the reason for the hype.
-----

Interview on Race Department: https://www.racedepa...-part-1.168990/

And here's a little video of AMS I did a couple years back, showcasing the Formula 1 content in the sim. A 2017 F1 car has since been added to the roster.

Edited by Jeeves, 30 May 2019 - 17:58.

Advertisement

#2 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 9,653 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 15:39

They're using the Madness Engine from PCars2 presumably for the track and weather effects, but tweak the car physics towards their own ideas? Sounds like a really good mix.

#3 Peat

Peat

• 4,583 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 15:50

Colour me excited!

AMS was/is a very worthy sim.

#4 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,017 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 18:02

They're using the Madness Engine from PCars2 presumably for the track and weather effects, but tweak the car physics towards their own ideas? Sounds like a really good mix.

Indeedio. If they can pull it off with the same level of detail as they put in AMS, we might just be looking at something very special here.

What's so surprising is that they somehow managed to get the engine with a 'no strings attached'- kind of deal from Ian Bell. Kudos to him for going forward with this.

#5 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 9,653 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 17:01

Indeedio. If they can pull it off with the same level of detail as they put in AMS, we might just be looking at something very special here.

What's so surprising is that they somehow managed to get the engine with a 'no strings attached'- kind of deal from Ian Bell. Kudos to him for going forward with this.

Perhaps as with the gMotor engine before it's a static version of the engine that SMS have progressed upon since... Either way its no bad thing, when PCars2 is doing everything right its maybe the most complete title out there, it just isn't doing everything completely right all of the time (I love it still though)

Edited by DanardiF1, 31 May 2019 - 17:02.

#6 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,017 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 03:22

Second part of the long interview at RD: https://www.racedepa...-part-2.169275/

#7 Prometheus

Prometheus

• 10 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 15:41

This title will need more European content for me.  The 1st game was decent in the physics etc but again in this day and age no VR???

#8 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 32,223 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 16:03

How does this exist in conjunction with PCARS? Such a shame pcars is a bug fest, overly complex too. i still miss it. 

#9 Prometheus

Prometheus

• 10 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 15:37

How does this exist in conjunction with PCARS? Such a shame pcars is a bug fest, overly complex too. i still miss it. 

Maybe because PCARS is old now and new one on the horizon, plus Automobilista is mostly south American cars and track so not stepping on Mads toes

Edited by Prometheus, 25 June 2019 - 15:39.

#10 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,017 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 21:20

This title will need more European content for me.  The 1st game was decent in the physics etc but again in this day and age no VR???

RD: Now first things first, let’s address the elephant in the room. MADNESS engine – that one came as a surprise! What made you decide on taking this engine for AMS 2 development?

RS: Firstly one clarification that may be worth making is that specially when it comes to more sophisticated racing sim engines, there aren´t just options one can simply pick off from the shelf at our own discretion - the engine providers also must want to work with us, under conditions that we can meet.

MADNESS was one option we had in our radar, but it was actually Ian Bell who approached us first at some point last year looking to do something together. Although I believe his original idea was a little different, I made the point we were already committed to doing Automobilista 2, and that we were on the market for a game engine - if he was kind enough to let us have a go with his with no strings attached we´d be more than happy to try work out something in case we managed to get on with it. To my pleasant surprise and his considerable credit, he did just that.

#11 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,017 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 01:47

June development roadmap: https://www.racedepa...y-video.170216/

#12 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,017 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 16:22

August development roadmap: https://forum.reizas...nt-update.6597/

Formula Classic gets expanded, team hard at work converting assets from AMS as well as developing new ones. 

#13 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,017 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 14:16

September development roadmap is out: https://www.racedepa...ictures.173835/

Stuff about audio and physics tick rates, manual transmission model, etc. Plus some new videos:

F1 V10, V8 & V6 (WIP) sounds: 

Formula Classic on slicks on a damp track:

WIP transmission model at work:

Edited by Jeeves, 03 October 2019 - 14:56.

#14 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,017 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 15:27

October development roadmap: https://www.racedepa...nfirmed.175005/

- Release delayed until March(ish) 2020.
- New videos.
- Some new info about FFB, AI, animations and weather.
- Jerez announced.