Photo
- - - - -

Why do they take so many softs to every race weekend only to find hard is the best race tyre?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,637 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:00

For most races its similar story, 1 billion soft tryes mostly used in practice sessions, a few medium tryes, and one or two hards only, on the sessions that matter, soft might help in quali, but most of the time in race the hards or mediums are best and I keep hearing nearly every weekend "teams are racing blind on the hards since they only brought one set they done no running on them", and "surprisingly they the fastest trye"

Also how do I edit topic title? I typod. sorry.

Edited by chrcol, 14 July 2019 - 16:08.

Advertisement

#2 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:01

Qualifying, that's it.

#3 pdac

pdac

• 17,293 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:03

They bring so many softs because, if they do work well, they don't want to be the team that runs out.

To change the title, I would suggest contacting the mods with the title that you would like.

Edited by pdac, 14 July 2019 - 16:03.

#4 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:08

I agree. Makes no sense to not bring 2 sets of hard and medium each race. One set for practice and one for the race.

#5 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:10

Probably based the choice on the what worked last year - not easy when the track gets resurfaced after you have to nominate the tyre choice.

#6 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,718 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:29

For most races its similar story, 1 billion soft tryes mostly used in practice sessions, a few medium tryes, and one or two hards only, on the sessions that matter, soft might help in quali, but most of the time in race the hards or mediums are best and I keep hearing nearly every weekend "teams are racing blind on the hards since they only brought one set they done no running on them", and "surprisingly they the fastest trye"

Also how do I edit topic title? I typod. sorry.

Is what I changed it to okay?

#7 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,637 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:34

yeah thats good, I missed the word race, thanks.

#8 Dr. Austin

Dr. Austin

• 3,293 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:35

They need to bring the mega soft back.

#9 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:37

I agree. Makes no sense to not bring 2 sets of hard and medium each race. One set for practice and one for the race.

You can get the practice data from one car. No reason to bring 2 sets of hard for both cars. In turn the other car will collect data on the mediums.

If the hard gets used in the race, it's always just one set.

#10 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:40

Because qualifying is so important in modern F1 so the teams will always bring at least 7 sets of soft tyres.

One to use in FP1, one for FP2, two for FP3 and then use at least 3 sets in qualy (plus if you get to Q3 you get an extra set). That's the minimum. Usually the top teams will use an extra set or two in qualy/on Friday.

#11 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,258 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 18:40

As it is now, Pirelli picks one set of each compound and team picks 10 sets as they want. It could be more interesting if teams would pick all 13 and were able to have 0 sets of certain tyre. Of course that would mean that they would have no flexibility towards the two-compound rule for the race.

As they have to return two sets of tyres after each practice, teams have seven sets for qualifying and race. And almost every time it's 1-2-4 or 1-1-5 when reading from hardest to softest option.

#12 pdac

pdac

• 17,293 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 18:46

As it is now, Pirelli picks one set of each compound and team picks 10 sets as they want. It could be more interesting if teams would pick all 13 and were able to have 0 sets of certain tyre. Of course that would mean that they would have no flexibility towards the two-compound rule for the race.

As they have to return two sets of tyres after each practice, teams have seven sets for qualifying and race. And almost every time it's 1-2-4 or 1-1-5 when reading from hardest to softest option.

Or even better if Pirelli picks all 13 and the team just have to make the best of them. Or maybe Pirelli brings enough sets for all, of whatever compound, and the drivers pull balls out of a hat to determine which they get.

#13 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,683 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 21:11

The “three tyre rule” is usually the reason why we have one-stoppers nowadays. If Pirelli only brought two compounds (e.g C2 + C3 e.g.) we would’ve had much more strategic variance.

Edited by TomNokoe, 14 July 2019 - 21:11.

#14 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,477 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:13

Maybe they should get 12 sets for the weekend 4 of each compound and get rid of the stupid 2 compounds for the race rule. Just let them run what they want. If someone wants to run 3 sets of softs for the race let them, if someone wants to run the hard and do 0 stops let them.

#15 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,648 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:08

The “three tyre rule” is usually the reason why we have one-stoppers nowadays. If Pirelli only brought two compounds (e.g C2 + C3 e.g.) we would’ve had much more strategic variance.

Erm no, we would have S-H or S-H strategy. They used to bring two compounds and that wasn't favorable. Opening up the choices gave more strategic variance.

#16 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:10

Not sure about that. If they can do the race with one stop, then they will. The tyres generally can't be pushed hard for long enough to make up for the extra stop.

#17 Raest

Raest

• 1,023 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:16

Not sure about that. If they can do the race with one stop, then they will. The tyres generally can't be pushed hard for long enough to make up for the extra stop.

I am not sure whether it's actually the tires or the fuel limit. Shorter stints, with more pit stops, only make sense if you can offset the time lost during the pit stop on track. Which means you have to push, and I don't know if they can do that without going the fuel limit, assuming that the tyre can hold. In general fast degradation tires and fuel cap on top of that was not exactly clever... 

#18 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:22

I am not sure whether it's actually the tires or the fuel limit. Shorter stints, with more pit stops, only make sense if you can offset the time lost during the pit stop on track. Which means you have to push, and I don't know if they can do that without going the fuel limit, assuming that the tyre can hold. In general fast degradation tires and fuel cap on top of that was not exactly clever... 

At this time I think it's the thermal degradation of the tyre that is the problem, not tyre wear. Fuel wise, I doubt the teams are using a full fuel load at most races, so there is probably lee way there to push for longer.

#19 revmeister

revmeister

• 812 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 15:27

You can get the practice data from one car. No reason to bring 2 sets of hard for both cars. In turn the other car will collect data on the mediums.

If the hard gets used in the race, it's always just one set.

Each car is setup to its driver's preference, and each driver needs time on the various compounds on each track. It would be terrible handicap for the driver that didn't get to run them during free practice.

Advertisement

#20 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 16:19

If you really want to mix things up then one way would be as follows.

• Each team is allocated a fixed no of each compound for the season for each driver. 
  • The drivers are allowed to nominate whatever compounds they want from that allocation for each race.
  • Pirelli take just those tyres to the event and take them back after the race.
  • The team can use any combination they want from those sets at each race weekend.
  • Teams cannot 'save' unused tyres from the weekend for a later race.

I think it has the potential to really mix things up, especially towards the end of the season when some teams/drivers might only have less than optimum tyre compounds left.

#21 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 16:59

Each car is setup to its driver's preference, and each driver needs time on the various compounds on each track. It would be terrible handicap for the driver that didn't get to run them during free practice.

If it was terrible I doubt it would be a common approach like it is.

#22 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,393 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 17:05

What we don't see of course is how much lost track time is made up through simulator work.

#23 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,683 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 17:34

Erm no, we would have S-H or S-H strategy. They used to bring two compounds and that wasn't favorable. Opening up the choices gave more strategic variance.

I don't agree.

The hardest compound at most Grand Prix is usually the only viable compound for one-stoppers.

This allows teams to qualify on the middle tyre, and then one stop moving to the harder tyre.

If Pirelli dropped the hardest tyre, teams would probably 2 stop because running the softest compound for half the race isn't feasible at most circuits.

Even if teams continued to qualify on the harder tyre, their only option on Sunday would be to pit onto the softer tyre for one-stoppers. It wouldn't work. Even at Monaco it was the wrong strategy.

I know it sounds counterproductive. The 3-compound rule really did help for a time, but not anymore.

Just go back through Grand Prix this year.

Silverstone without the C1?
Austria without the C2?
France without the C2?
Canada without the C3?
etc...

Go back and look at the stint lengths.

One-stops would have been difficult or impossible. It's always the hardest tyre that teams rely on.

Obviously the same thing would happen if Pirelli simply made the tyres softer. We are always at their mercy as to which compounds they bring.

Edited by TomNokoe, 18 July 2019 - 17:39.

#24 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 17:42

I mean that could be resolved by just going a step softer on nearly all tracks. Even if not, I'm sure that you can stretch on many tracks the medium to over 60-70 % of the distance and then the soft to 30-40 %. In fact, in Silverstone Vettel had already completed 38 % of the race distance on softs, and he was probably going to surpass 40 % without the SC.

A bit of a shame that Pirelli only once or twice skipped compounds (e.g C1, C2, C4), on some tracks this could open a ton of options.

#25 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,648 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 18:04

I don't agree.

The hardest compound at most Grand Prix is usually the only viable compound for one-stoppers.

This allows teams to qualify on the middle tyre, and then one stop moving to the harder tyre.

If Pirelli dropped the hardest tyre, teams would probably 2 stop because running the softest compound for half the race isn't feasible at most circuits.

Even if teams continued to qualify on the harder tyre, their only option on Sunday would be to pit onto the softer tyre for one-stoppers. It wouldn't work. Even at Monaco it was the wrong strategy.

I know it sounds counterproductive. The 3-compound rule really did help for a time, but not anymore.

Just go back through Grand Prix this year.

Silverstone without the C1?
Austria without the C2?
France without the C2?
Canada without the C3?
etc...

Go back and look at the stint lengths.

One-stops would have been difficult or impossible. It's always the hardest tyre that teams rely on.

Obviously the same thing would happen if Pirelli simply made the tyres softer. We are always at their mercy as to which compounds they bring.

We would miss out on the battles in Austria or Silverstone with softs. They would fall apart.

#26 revmeister

revmeister

• 812 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 19:10

You are saying the each driver doesn't get to do set up laps on the compounds they will qualify and race with?

Examples please.

#27 Ramon69

Ramon69

• 1,381 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 19:14

First of all, the dumbest rule EVER is that The top10 must start on the tyre they qualified on which kills racing.

#28 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 19:19

You are saying the each driver doesn't get to do set up laps on the compounds they will qualify and race with?

Examples please.

No, just the hards. It's not uncommon a driver wont be on hards before the race.

#29 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,683 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 19:21

We would miss out on the battles in Austria or Silverstone with softs. They would fall apart.

Well now we are talking about two different things. I am talking about introducing more pitstops. You are talking about exciting racing despite limited stops. :D

#30 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,180 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 19:22

• Each team is allocated a fixed no of each compound for the season for each driver. 
  • The drivers are allowed to nominate whatever compounds they want from that allocation for each race.
  • The team can use any combination they want from those sets at each race weekend.

I think it has the potential to really mix things up, especially towards the end of the season when some teams/drivers might only have less than optimum tyre compounds left.

That's the kind of thinking that got F1 into the tyre nonsense that has ruined the races since Pirelli got the contract for joking rubber.

#31 P123

P123

• 23,963 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 19:30

The biggest issue with tyres is that come race day, whatever the compound, there seems to be a negligible difference in pace and wear between them all.

#32 ATM

ATM

• 1,074 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 20:14

...and it’s better to start 12th on new medium tires than 7th on worn soft ones. Why bother getting in Q3 then?

#33 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,359 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 20:37

I want flat out racing - not some unnecessary random pseudo tactical stuff and trade-off games for nerds in armchairs.

Edited by r4mses, 18 July 2019 - 20:37.

#34 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 20:43

First of all, the dumbest rule EVER is that The top10 must start on the tyre they qualified on which kills racing.

Surely there must be some rationale behind it?..Like, only the top 10 can  participate in going for fastest lap point..lest wise some team find it worth while to build a fastest lap special  for every race  No?

#35 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 20:48

I want flat out racing - not some unnecessary random pseudo tactical stuff and trade-off games for nerds in armchairs.

When was there ever balls to the wall flat out racing start to finish with zero regard to tactics be it prolonging reliabity saving fuel etc? :eek:

Edited by Fatgadget, 18 July 2019 - 20:50.

#36 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 21:20

That's the kind of thinking that got F1 into the tyre nonsense that has ruined the races since Pirelli got the contract for joking rubber.

Any suggestions as to how this utopia may be achieved?

#37 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 21:38

The biggest issue with tyres is that come race day, whatever the compound, there seems to be a negligible difference in pace and wear between them all.

And by and large everyone choses exactly the same combination!..What's the point choices other than monkey see monkey do?

Edited by Fatgadget, 18 July 2019 - 21:40.

#38 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,359 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 22:33

durable tyres and mandatory pit stops (we already got the latter - at least one stop). tyres which last longer then the stints between the stops, so drivers do not need to nurse the tyres nor care about wear.

#39 pdac

pdac

• 17,293 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 22:39

Glue the gas peddle to the floor.

Advertisement

#40 boomn

boomn

• 1,218 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 23:08

durable tyres and mandatory pit stops (we already got the latter - at least one stop). tyres which last longer then the stints between the stops, so drivers do not need to nurse the tyres nor care about wear.

I don't find anything wrong with drivings having to deal with some tire management, and the strategy that can come from that.  Watching a driver try to keep it on track with greasy old tires to make his pit strategy work can be exciting!  But that seems to work better in series that don't use Pirelli tires ,which either don't grip well enough or drop off badly, grain, blister, etc if the car and setup aren't designed in just the right way and the driver doesn't ever so carefully manage them to the proper delta.  

#41 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,393 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 01:08

I mean that could be resolved by just going a step softer on nearly all tracks. Even if not, I'm sure that you can stretch on many tracks the medium to over 60-70 % of the distance and then the soft to 30-40 %. In fact, in Silverstone Vettel had already completed 38 % of the race distance on softs, and he was probably going to surpass 40 % without the SC.

A bit of a shame that Pirelli only once or twice skipped compounds (e.g C1, C2, C4), on some tracks this could open a ton of options.

I think they would need more compound options again to effectively skip compounds. Right now, if they tried to take a C1-2/3-4 or C2-3/4-5 to more tracks, the Hard would still be durable enough to one stop but the Soft would fall apart in qualifying.

In the past though whenever they've had more than 5 compounds, they seem to always get 2 compounds somewhere that degrade the same despite one being softer/harder or they have the hardest unable to warm up.

#42 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,209 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:57

Here's a theory: Just one compound. Like it used to be. And then we went down this stupid route and for some reason keep persisting with it.

Now we have two dry tyres but wets that can't handle a substantial puddle.

Dry. Wet. Monsoon. 

#43 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:15

When was there ever balls to the wall flat out racing start to finish with zero regard to tactics be it prolonging reliabity saving fuel etc? :eek:

Maybe in drag racing.

#44 Pharazon

Pharazon

• 1,156 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:46

Maybe they should get 12 sets for the weekend 4 of each compound and get rid of the stupid 2 compounds for the race rule. Just let them run what they want. If someone wants to run 3 sets of softs for the race let them, if someone wants to run the hard and do 0 stops let them.

can you imagine how much more boring Monaco would be with 0 pit stops

#45 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,007 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:26

• The drivers are allowed to nominate whatever compounds they want from that allocation for each race.
  • Pirelli take just those tyres to the event and take them back after the race.
  • Teams cannot 'save' unused tyres from the weekend for a later race.

I think it has the potential to really mix things up, especially towards the end of the season when some teams/drivers might only have less than optimum tyre compounds left.
Short term it would - long term it wouldn’t change anything...

Also I think that’s a bad idea.

#46 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:35

can you imagine how much more boring Monaco would be with 0 pit stops

to the contrary I actually think that it could increase the overtaking probability. The only realistic way to overtake on such a track is massive tyre wear, which you wont get on a 1 stop. Obviously I'm not saying that you will get it with 0 stops, but it's more likely and thus would probably encourage more offset strategies.

Though Monaco is a special case anyways.

#47 FirstWatt

FirstWatt

• 1,073 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:59

to the contrary I actually think that it could increase the overtaking probability. The only realistic way to overtake on such a track is massive tyre wear, which you wont get on a 1 stop. Obviously I'm not saying that you will get it with 0 stops, but it's more likely and thus would probably encourage more offset strategies.[...]

Looking at bike races, there is a high probability that this would happen. Some start quick, just to loose out at the end, and vice versa. Maybe it really would be good to cancel that mandatory pitstop and the "two different tyres per race" rule. Also the rule about starting on the Q2 tyre, or about same tyres front and rear. Strategies would be less predictable for the competition, teams could have more room if a tyre works at the front but not at the rear.

So much is so tightly regulated, what would we lose by loosening up a bit?

#48 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,648 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:06

Teams voted down the abolishment of the Q2 tire rule last year. Lower midfield profits from their competitors running a sub-optimal strategy if they reach Q3. The rule was designed in a time the top 3 teams didn't have such a clear gap to the others.

#49 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,393 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:54

Here's a theory: Just one compound. Like it used to be. And then we went down this stupid route and for some reason keep persisting with it.

Now we have two dry tyres but wets that can't handle a substantial puddle.
Dry. Wet. Monsoon.

When was this time they only used 1 compound?

#50 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:52

FF1600 - when some club drivers used only 1 set of tyres a season...