intrigued by discussion on the recent incident proneness of a certain top driver & distressed by some disagreements of memory on how exactly incident prone he was in the past, I decided that there ought to be solid data on this issue. Which I couldn't find anywhere on the internet. So today I chose to resolve it myself. I embarked on a historical journey through 2007 to 2019 using whatever remained in my own memory, whatever was left of Bernie's purges on Youtube, and, ehm, Wikipedia. The aim of this quest was to find out who (of the 3 F1 drivers whose entire F1 career history I have bothered to go through so far (=Verstappen, Hamilton, Vettel)) has *actually* been the most incident prone, and on which season.
So what counts as an "inciden"t, then? Well, it is a very good question, and the definition is bound to cause some disagreement. I have gone with my definition, but I fully accept that yours may be different. In any case, in my books, there are six different types of race-ruining disasters that can happen due to driver error, and four of them should count as incidents that are one's own fault to determine the incident proneness.
1) Crash. When you crash alone in a) race, b) qualifying, or c) free practise in a manner it compromizes the rest of your weekend (Max at Monaco last year being a prime example of this) without having a very solid excuse. Or when you crash with another driver in an incident, where most of the blame can clearly be attributed to you.
2) Collision with another driver. Reserved for those fifty-fifty, eighty-twenty, half guilty half racing incidents, where you were (in my opinion) not *clearly* to blame, usually didn't receive a penalty, but where, in hindsight,you could have avoided the incident with reasonable measures had you been more careful or driven more smartly. (Hamilton/Button 2011 at Montreal / Spa 2016 with Verstappen, Raikkonen and Vettel where both parties would get a "collision" but neither a "crash". Conversely, Vettel would get a "collision" for Brazil 2012 whereas Senna would get a "crash".)
3) Spin. When you have a spin in a race entirely on your own.
4) Mistake. When you run wide in the race and lose a position as a consequence (Vettel 2019, Montreal for example), or when you run out of track in qualifying in a manner that clearly compromizes your start position (Hamilton 2014, Austria for example)
5) Others. Where a penalty was handed out to you because of your error but where there was no crash, collision spin or a mistake. In other words - impeding, speeding, cutting the track, ignoring flags, leaving the track and so on, however (obviously) no penalties that were given out for technical reasons were counted. One could reasonably argue that these should be counted with categories 1-4, as breaking the rules is a major mistake as well, but I have decided to count these as a separate category, solely because of the inconsistency of the stewards on certain matters. Such as forcing another driver off the track which has only been handed out on the whim of a steward basically.
6) Events where you are not to blame yourself. I did not count these as incidents that should be added on your tally. (Spa 2012 for starters. Grosjean would get a "crash" and all others who get collected won't have it counted. Another example, Shanghai 2018 - Verstappen gets a "crash", Vettel gets nothing. Crashes caused by blown tires or failing brakes, or other circumstances out of a driver's control that made the collision or the cras unavoidable.)
In addition to this, I have specified if an incident was "race ending" or "first lap".
I hope I could make myself understood!
Naturally, the list is bound to include errors. Some incidents are will certainly spark discussion whether there was fault. I will fully admit I haven't re-reviewed them all, and on some of them I went by the steward decision alone to count them as incidents. Hence any of the drivers may have a few incidents that should have counted but haven't because I deemed them not at fault (or most likely, didn't see them/forgot) and a few incidents that should not have counted on their "tally". On any of the incidents, I welcome any remarks, opinions, or reminders about some incidents to improve the list. However, I don't think the incompleteness should spoil the "grand picture" so I'm ready to present the fruits of my "research" already.
Ladies, gentlemen, here it is in all its glory - How Many Incidents These Guys Had Annually:
https://i.ibb.co/NT4...ad-Annually.png (if the picture isn't visible)
*Vettel's 2007 and 2019 incidents have counted double because he has only competed around 50% of the races
AVG Starting Position
2007: Vettel 14.4 | Hamilton 2.6
2008: Vettel 11.0 | Hamilton 3.9
2009: Vettel 4.4 | Hamilton 9.3
2010: Vettel 1.9 | Hamilton 5.2
2011: Vettel 1.3 | Hamilton 3.6
2012: Vettel 5.0 | Hamilton 4.3
2013: Vettel 2.1 | Hamilton 3.5
2014: Vettel 7.8 | Hamilton 4.2
2015: Vettel 5.3 | Hamilton 1.6 | Verstappen 11.4
2016: Vettel 6.2 | Hamilton 4.1 | Verstappen 6.0
2017: Vettel 3.1 | Hamilton 3.6 | Verstappen 6.1
2018: Vettel 2.9 | Hamilton 2.7 | Verstappen 7.1
2019: Vettel 4.1 | Hamilton 2.0 | Verstappen 4.4
2007 Italian GP Race Collision (Davidson) 2007 Japanese GP Race Race ending crash (Webber) 2008 Australian GP Race Race ending first lap collision (Webber, Button, Davidson) 2008 Bahrain GP Race Race ending first lap crash (Sutil) 2008 Turkish GP Race First lap collision (Sutil) 2008 Canadian GP Practice Crash 2008 British GP Race Race ending first lap collision (Coulthard) 2009 Australian GP Race Race ending crash (Kubica) 2009 Malaysian GP Race Race ending spin 2009 Monaco GP Race Race ending accident 2009 Turkish GP Race First lap mistake 2009 Hungarian GP Race First lap collision (Raikkonen) 2009 Brazilian GP Race First lap collision (Kovalainen) 2010 Turkish GP Race Race ending crash (Webber) 2010 Belgian GP Race Crash (Button) 2010 Italian GP Qualifying Mistake 2011 Canadian GP Race Mistake 2011 German GP Race Spin 2011 Hungarian GP Race Mistake 2012 Malaysian GP Race Collision (Karthikeyan) 2012 Abu Dhabi GP Race Collision (Senna) 2012 Abu Dhabi GP Race Mistake (Ricciardo) 2012 Brazilian GP Race First lap collision (Senna) 2014 Austrian GP Race Collision (Gutierrez) 2014 Hungarian GP Race Spin 2014 Belgian GP Race Mistake 2015 Bahrain GP Race Mistake 2015 Mexican GP Race Collision (Ricciardo) 2015 Mexican GP Race Spin 2015 Mexican GP Race Race ending crash 2015 Abu Dhabi GP Qualifying Mistake 2016 Chinese GP Race First lap collision (Raikkonen) 2016 Malaysian GP Race Race ending first lap crash (Rosberg) 2016 Belgian GP Race First lap collision (Verstappen, Raikkonen) 2017 Baku GP Race Crash (Hamilton) 2017 Canadian GP Race First lap collision (Verstappen) 2017 Singapore GP Race Race ending first lap crash (Verstappen, Raikkonen) 2017 Malaysian GP Post race Collision (Stroll) 2017 Mexican GP Race First lap crash (Hamilton) 2018 Baku GP Race Mistake 2018 French GP Race First lap crash (Bottas) 2018 German GP Race Race ending crash 2018 Italian GP Race First lap crash (Hamilton) 2018 Japanese GP Qualifying Mistake 2018 Japanese GP Race Collision (Verstappen) 2018 United States GP Race First lap spin 2019 Bahrain GP Race Mistake 2019 Canadian GP Race Mistake 2019 British GP Race Crash (Verstappen) 2019 Italian GP Race Crash (Stroll) 2009 Singapore GP Race Speeding in the pitlane 2010 Hungarian GP Race Failing to stay within 10 car lengths of the safety car 2012 German GP Race Overtaking illegally (Button) 2012 Italian GP Race Forcing another driver off track (Alonso) 2015 Canadian GP Practice Overtaking under red flags (Merhi) 2016 British GP Race Forcing another driver off track (Massa) 2016 Mexican GP Race Driving dangerously (Ricciardo) 2018 Austrian GP Race Impeding (Sainz)
year gp session incident type 2007 European GP Race Mistake 2007 Chinese GP Race Race ending crash 2008 Bahrain GP Race Crash (Alonso) 2008 Canadian GP Race Race ending crash 2008 Belgian GP Race Mistake (Hamilton) 2009 Monaco GP Qualifying Crash 2009 British GP Race Mistake 2009 German GP Race First lap collision (Webber) 2009 Italian GP Race Race ending crash 2010 Australian GP Race Collision (Massa) 2010 Italian GP Race Race ending first lap crash (Massa) 2010 Singapore GP Race Race ending collision (Webber) 2011 Australian GP Race Mistake 2011 Malaysian GP Race Collision (Alonso) 2011 Monaco GP Qualifying Mistake 2011 Monaco GP Race Collision (Massa) 2011 Monaco GP Race Crash (Maldonado) 2011 Canadian GP Race Crash (Webber) 2011 Canadian GP Race Race ending collision (Button) 2011 Hungarian GP Race Spin 2011 Belgian GP Race Race ending crash (Kobayashi) 2011 Singapore GP Race Crash (Massa) 2011 Japanese GP Race Collision (Massa) 2011 Indian GP Race Collision (Massa) 2012 European GP Race Collision (Maldonado) 2013 Brazilian GP Race Crash (Bottas) 2014 Austrian GP Qualifying Mistake 2014 Hungarian GP Race Spin 2014 Belgian GP Race Collision (Rosberg) 2015 Hungarian GP Race First lap mistake 2015 Hungarian GP Race Collision (Ricciardo) 2016 Spanish GP Race Collision (Rosberg) 2016 Baku GP Qualifying Crash 2017 Brazilian GP Qualifying Crash 2018 German GP Qualifying Mistake 2019 German GP Race Crash 2019 German GP Race Spin 2019 Belgian GP Practise Crash 2019 Italian GP Race Mistake 2008 Malaysian GP Qualifying Impeding (Heidfeld, Alonso) 2008 French GP Race Cutting a corner (Vettel) 2008 Belgian GP Race Gaining an advantage off the track (Raikkonen) 2008 Japanese GP Race Forcing another driver off the track (Raikkonen) 2009 Australian GP Race Lying to the stewards 2011 Hungarian GP Race Forcing another driver off the track (di Resta) 2011 Indian GP Practise Disobeying yellow flags
2015 Monaco GP race Race ending crash (Grosjean) 2015 British GP race Race ending spin 2016 Australian GP race Collision (Sainz) 2016 Monaco GP qualifying Crash 2016 Monaco GP race Crash 2016 Baku GP race Mistake 2016 Belgian GP race First lap collision (Vettel, Raikkonen) 2016 Belgian GP race First lap mistake 2017 Spanish GP race Race ending first lap collision (Bottas, Raikkonen) 2017 Hungarian GP race First lap crash (Ricciardo) 2018 Australian GP race Mistake 2018 Australian GP race Spin 2018 Bahrain GP race Collision (Hamilton) 2018 Chinese GP race Mistake 2018 Chinese GP race Crash (Vettel) 2018 Baku GP race Collision (Ricciardo) 2018 Monaco GP practise Crash 2018 Italian GP race Crash (Bottas) 2018 Brazilian GP race Collision (Ocon) 2019 Belgian GP race First lap collision (Raikkonen) 2019 Italian GP race First lap crash (Perez) 2015 Hungarian GP race Speeding under SC 2015 Japanese GP race Stopping on the racing line 2015 Abu Dhabi GP race Leaving the track and gaining an advantage 2015 Abu Dhabi GP race Ignoring blue flags 2016 Mexican GP race Cutting the track (Vettel) 2017 United States GP race Cutting the track (Raikkonen) 2018 Japanese GP race Forcing another driver off track (Raikkonen)
Edited by noriaki, 18 September 2019 - 17:15.