Photo
- - - - -

Who is the most successful manufacturer in motorsport history?

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#1 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 19:02

All motorsports: cars, bikes...(planes, boats)

I can't really find it anywhere so maybe someone here knows?

Advertisement

#2 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 19:05

Ferrari

#3 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 19:05

Or Porsche.

One of those two. 

#4 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,244 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 19:10

Honda? All kind of bikeracing, touring cars etc.

#5 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,929 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 19:17

Had their PostWar activiies been as intense as before the war, Alfa and/or Mercedes could have been the ones.

#6 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,049 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 19:19

McLaren.

They've done the Triple Crown.  Le Mans, Indy 500, World Constructors' Champion.  And they did it themselves.

Whereas e.g. Mercedes and Ford only supplied engines for the 500 winners.

#7 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 19:21

It's probably some parts manufacturer.

#8 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,278 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 20:06

Honda would surely have a good shout at this - long history of success in virtually every motorcycle category, success in Touring Cars and then as engine supplier to IndyCar winners and Indy500 winners plus Super Formula, GT and Works partner to teams like Williams and McLaren when they were winning championships. I think there might be almost an entire decade in F1 of the champions being powered by Honda, and Honda being a big part of their winning.

I really cant think of another manufacturer that might come even close.

#9 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 20:09

McLaren.

They've done the Triple Crown.  Le Mans, Indy 500, World Constructors' Champion.  And they did it themselves.

With which engine? Do they produce engines? If not sorry they don't count.

For those who supplied engines another teams, they do count.

#10 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,155 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 20:24

It depends what your criteria are. For example, do you mean who has won the most top level events as a works entrant, or do you seek the engine manufacturer with most wins in all categories?

#11 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,224 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 20:26

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancia

#12 noriaki

noriaki

• 2,047 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 20:26

McLaren.

They've done the Triple Crown. Le Mans, Indy 500, World Constructors' Champion. And they did it themselves.

Their Le Mans winner was a privateer effort though. I wouldn't say they won it themselves.

I would go with Mercedes-Benz. Apart from that shoddy project in the early Twenties, basically every time they began building GP cars or engines in their racing history, they would also become dominant.

Don't know what their marketing has done wrong that still they don't seem to be considered a "legendary" brand in F1 akin to Ferrari!

#13 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 20:30

It's probably some parts manufacturer.

Brembo!

#14 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 20:48

It depends what your criteria are. For example, do you mean who has won the most top level events as a works entrant, or do you seek the engine manufacturer with most wins in all categories?

Both.

#15 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 21:02

Must be Honda. They've done it all. Boats, motorcycles (off road and on track), cars, lawn mawer racing etc.

#16 Hati

Hati

• 6,988 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 21:03

Ford has won in what, F1, Indycar, Nascar, LeMans, Rally etc.

#17 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,403 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 21:05

Most likely Ford - Think of all the NASCAR races they've won...

#18 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,049 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 21:09

I would go with Mercedes-Benz. Apart from that shoddy project in the early Twenties, basically every time they began building GP cars or engines in their racing history, they would also become dominant.

But their recent successes are not really theirs, they're about as much Mercedes as 1978 was John Player's. 

#19 beute

beute

• 1,357 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 21:30

Don't know what their marketing has done wrong that still they don't seem to be considered a "legendary" brand in F1 akin to Ferrari!

Easy: because becoming a legendary brand has nothing to do with marketing and all to do with myth/philosophy.

Ferrari started out as a race team, became a roadcar producer in order to fund their race team instead of the other way around and NEVER stopped being a racing team.

Advertisement

#20 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 3,581 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 21:43

Ford, Ferrari, Honda and Mercedes are probably all within spitting distance of each other.  

#21 noriaki

noriaki

• 2,047 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 21:48

But their recent successes are not really theirs, they're about as much Mercedes as 1978 was John Player's. 

In addition to the funding Mercedes still build the engines and have brought in a vast amount of expertise to Brackley.

John Player's, well...didn't.

So essentially you're saying that McLaren's Woking-based successes shouldn't count either. 

#22 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,878 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 22:06

I'd say it's Dallara, who have only recently overtaken Lola.

#23 loki

loki

• 12,440 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 22:11

All of motorsports?  Pro and amateur?  Factory backed team, pro race team or privateer?   It's not going to be a non US brand.   Likely GM and of the brands probably Chevrolet.  Ferrari isn't even going to be close.  Nor is Mercedes.  Now if you want to talk about just Europe it's a different story.

#24 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 22:13

Ford, probably for the DFV years alone.

#25 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,678 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 22:25

Ford provided the money but other than that I wouldn't be giving them too much credit for the DFV.

#26 Beri

Beri

• 11,702 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 22:28

Would think so too.

#27 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,496 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 22:46

If F1 engine success is your main criterium it's Ferrari http://forix.autospo...hp?l=0&r=0&c=50

#28 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 23:57

You are going to have to weight various different categories into levels of importance, which will always be difficult. Otherwise whoever makes the best go-karts will likely be the most successful, mathematically. 

#29 Beri

Beri

• 11,702 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:00

Ford has had its successful spell in Touring Cars, F1, Rally, Le Mans and many other categories. Cant think of any other manufacturer who did that as well. And during so many decades.
Its nearly impossible to come up with solid numbers. So its more a gut feeling. But an intriguing question it is!

Edited by Beri, 26 July 2019 - 08:00.

#30 taran

taran

• 4,475 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:01

Some worthy contestants such as Ford, Porsche and Ferrari but it has to be Honda of course.

Some 50 years of uninterrupted success in bike racing, presence in touring cars, GT's, Formula Nippon (or whatever its called every few years), overwhelming success in F1 and a stalwart of Indycars/CART.

I don't think any other manufacturer even comes close in outright number of wins.

#31 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,425 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:21

The Cosworth DFV is surely the most successful racing engine ever, but I don't think it makes Ford the most successful manufacturer ever. Engine is one thing, but a racing car is much more than it.

Besides, the contribution of Ford was more on the financial side than on the technical side. More a sponsor than any other thing.

#32 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,425 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:31

For me, there is word which epitomises success in motorsports: "Porsche".

Why? Because they tend to win in every racing category in which they are involved. They are not the manufacturer with most wins, but probably they are the best in terms of the ratio wins/categories contested. When there is a Porsche on the grid, you know it's going to be a contender for the win.

#33 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,049 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:31

Flat-track bullies.  Arses kicked in F1.  Took McLaren to turn them into winners.  Q.v. Footwork.

#34 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 3,237 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:55

It would be a considerable project trying to compile all the major racing series, and the successes of each manufacturer. This would have to include bikes, cars, planes, boats, and other oddball sports that have motors. My money is on Honda due to bike racing. I think they leverage a massive number of wins and championships there on every continent, that will outweigh most manufacturers in the other vehicle types.

#35 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:41

Honda would surely have a good shout at this - long history of success in virtually every motorcycle category, success in Touring Cars and then as engine supplier to IndyCar winners and Indy500 winners plus Super Formula, GT and Works partner to teams like Williams and McLaren when they were winning championships. I think there might be almost an entire decade in F1 of the champions being powered by Honda, and Honda being a big part of their winning.

I really cant think of another manufacturer that might come even close.

To be considered "the most successful" surely you'd have to apply some weighting to categories. I mean it's not a quantity thing is it, 100 touring car wins in Japan or national motorcycle level can't really be compared to world championship level wins right?

I think Ford would be a good should with wins in F1, World Rally, Le Mans and then have Honda covered throughout motorsport at lower classed from Formula Ford up. 

Edited by Rinehart, 26 July 2019 - 09:46.

#36 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,531 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:52

I think Ford would be a good should with wins in F1, World Rally, Le Mans and then have Honda covered throughout motorsport at lower classed from Formula Ford up. 

A bit difficult for Honda (or Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, Renault, etc.) to be successful at Formula Ford.

And Ford would have struggled to win in Formula Renault.

#37 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,723 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:58

Graham Hill. Not for his F1 team, but for manufacturing Damon Hill.

#38 Garndell

Garndell

• 1,287 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:20

Does single make series count towards it?

#39 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:46

Must be Honda. They've done it all. Boats, motorcycles (off road and on track), cars, lawn mawer racing etc.

Advertisement

#40 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:04

I'm going with Honda.

Dominated so many classes in motorsport for long periods of time on 2 wheels and 4.

Off the top of my head, MotoGP, Superbikes, Supoersport, Superstock, Touring cars, both domestic and national series.

Honda teams seem to get a decent backing from the factory, Ya Usa Honda, ten Kate honda, HM plant Honda back in the day, don't forget Colin Edwards and the like on the Sp-1/Sp-2 and the RC30 before that. Don't forget all the NSR 2 strokes as well.

Check the wiki pages on the 125/250/500(motoGP) classes. Honda dominates them all.

Edited by Retrofly, 26 July 2019 - 11:17.

#41 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 5,553 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:05

It's Honda, only look at their domination in MotoGP and then their history in F1 and who knows what they will win in the future with Red Bull.

#42 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,827 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:09

Probably either Bridgestone or Michelin.

#43 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:19

Ok I did the math for myself, this is precise calculated. I covered 3 biggest series: Formula 1, MotoGP and WRC.

1. Honda 55 titles and 379 wins

2. Ford 31 titles and 267 wins

3. Ferrari 31 titles and 236 wins

Others are beneath

#44 Sash1

Sash1

• 1,301 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:26

A bit difficult for Honda (or Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, Renault, etc.) to be successful at Formula Ford.

But Porsche has the Porsche Supercup in all kind of countries and supportrace to championships.

And Ford would have struggled to win in Formula Renault.

#45 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,151 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 13:22

Ford.  They have won everything (F1, Indy, LM, WRC, NASCAR, NHRA, TC and plenty of grassroots stuff) but motorcycles and accomplished things in the motorsport world Honda hasn't even attempted.  Ford's NASCAR success isn't much less than what Honda has done in MotoGP.

McLaren.

McLaren never made an engine for any of those, so they didn't do it themselves in the same way Ford or Mercedes didn't.

Edited by Nathan, 26 July 2019 - 13:47.

#46 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,703 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 13:26

All motorsports: cars, bikes...(planes, boats)

I can't really find it anywhere so maybe someone here knows?

Define success in regard to your question please.

My personal belief is Ferrari, but that may be based on incorrect understanding of success as you mean it.

:cool:

#47 taran

taran

• 4,475 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 13:48

People haven't mentioned Renault so I'll give them a shout out.

First Grand Prix winners ever and involved in motorsport from the start. Present in grass roots all the way to F1 (take that Ford lovers :kiss:) and always willing to be innovative. Rally champions, F1 champions, Le Mans champions.....Even Ferrari can't say that  ;)

#48 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 15:24

Honda has one massive advantage in a question like that. They are the only big car manufacturer, who is truly "big" also in motorcycles. This enables them to basically double their overall success rates. BMW and Peugeot also produce motorcycles, but in racing they haven't done much or showed up much.

In terms of racing on 4 wheels specifically Ford is the great "all-rounder". They have been there or thereabouts in many disciplines over many decades. But since 2004 they have somewhat cut down their presence.

Ferrari is very specialized in their approach. Their success comes from very specific series, so they are not the 'all-rounder' you are looking for. Porsche is also quite specialized in this sense and also been picky as in when and where to show up.

Regarding Mercedes one can wonder, what would have happened without 1955 Le Mans disaster. They pulled out of motorsports for many decades, thus their overall CV looks less impressive than it should be. But with Mercedes the keyword is quality. When they show up, you know you have to take them seriously.

I'd say the same about VW Group. Wherever they show up, you know they mean business and they don't want to do a 'half-arsed' effort. But of course the presence of Audi and VW has been more sporadic compared to other successful brands, mostly concentrated on Le Mans and rallying.

#49 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 15:28

Graham Hill. Not for his F1 team, but for manufacturing Damon Hill.

What about Keke Rosberg and Gilles Villeneuve in this matter? :p

People haven't mentioned Renault so I'll give them a shout out.

First Grand Prix winners ever and involved in motorsport from the start. Present in grass roots all the way to F1 (take that Ford lovers :kiss:) and always willing to be innovative. Rally champions, F1 champions, Le Mans champions.....Even Ferrari can't say that  ;)

Good point. Renault also deserves to be mentioned. :)

#50 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,258 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 15:36

Honda of course!