Skip Barber's 1969 FF Championship - a good read

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 13:59

https://racer.com/20...ome-latest-news

Exciting times.  Must have been a heart-stopping weekend for Skip Barber. 

Advertisement

#2 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 15:02

Thank You very much for posting that, I sent it on to Eddie Miller who should really be tickled by it.

Very cool.

#3 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 17:27

I remember reading an Autoweek race report about the SCCA FF runoffs one year.  Probably '72 or '73, because I started getting Autoweek in '72,  Ron Dykes followed Eddie Miller the entire race, then passed to win on the last lap.  Dykes said he learned more from following Miller in that race than he had all season long.  So I was a bit more impressed with Miller's performance than Dykes'.  Kept my eye on him and was disappointed that he crashed in his first Indy attempt.  I don't think he ever got another chance, which was a shame. 

But this thread is supposed to be about Skip Barber.  I should know; I started it :)

I read that Skip Barber once said that when he started the racing school he had a partner who told him if he ran a racing school he'd get lots of offers to drive other peoples' cars.  Didn't work out that way, but the school was certainly a success. 

#4 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 17:36

I think that was '71. Eddie won in '72 and '74, and Bob Earl in the first ADF between, while Eddie ran F5000.

(Edit: thinking more, you may have it backwards... I think Eddie passed Ron Dykes on the last lap to win in '72, and am thinking that Jim Harrell won in '71)

But sorry, not to skip Skip here. :-)

Thanks Again.

Edited by E1pix, 03 September 2019 - 18:37.

#5 Bikr7549

Bikr7549

• 338 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 17:40

Deviating and wandering off topic is one of the best features Dave of TNF!

#6 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 00:07

I think that was '71. Eddie won in '72 and '74, and Bob Earl in the first ADF between, while Eddie ran F5000.

(Edit: thinking more, you may have it backwards... I think Eddie passed Ron Dykes on the last lap to win in '72, and am thinking that Jim Harrell won in '71)

But sorry, not to skip Skip here. :-)

Thanks Again.

Looks like you are right, Wikipedia agrees with what you said.. 

At least I was close....sort of....

#7 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 978 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:54

Keen article!  Thanks for the link, Dave.

I love that poster.  I recognize Dave Loring in the Eagle.  That can't be Dave Weitzenhoff put way out back, can it?  He wouldn't be amused.   :p

#8 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:17

I love that poster.  I recognize Dave Loring in the Eagle.  That can't be Dave Weitzenhoff put way out back, can it?  He wouldn't be amused.   :p

Bruce McInnes ain't exactly fightin for the lead either!

#9 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 15:00

Nor is Brian Goodwin (white 4 or 41), Tom Davey (silver 3), or Tom Wiechmann (blue ADF).

The red Lola must be representing Eddie Miller as no other Lola ever won IIRC. Either the artist had no reference photos or thought black would get lost. Darned artists, anyway. ;-)