* * - - - 4 votes

Robert Kubica - what's next

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
839 replies to this topic

#1 rkrp

rkrp

• 248 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:53

I think since Kubica is done with Williams we need to take the conversation about his future elsewhere. 
For now it doesn't look like Robert will be racing F1 car next year, but here's something  from Daniel Obajtek - Orlen CEO:

Puls Biznesu: We're unsure about Kubica's future in F1. Is his absence in this series equals Orlen leaving F1?

Daniel Obajtek: You don't go to F1 only for one year. We all know that. This is the brand recognition we were talking before. We are talking with several partners about this. Orlen will be present in Formula 1 and Orlen will be working with Robert Kubica. This is what I can say about that matter.

PB: But won't it work without Kubica? Is this a necessity?

DO: There is one condition - Robert Kubica. That's because we have research, we know his recognition in Poland and I can say this (RK in F1) worked very well for us (...). 

PB: But if he doesn't race in F1...

DO: But did I say he won't be racing? I said it precisely...

PB: If he doesn't race you won't be there?

DO: We are talking (with partners). Orlen will be in F1 and will be with Kubica. I answered that!

PB: It is possible that no team will...

DO: For now we are talking. These talks are creative, intense and specific.

PB: What's your plan B if Robert won't find a racing seat?

DO: You see, you're still asking the same thing. We as Orlen have a plan together with Robert for many possibilities but there's one option: Formula One.

PB: Robert Kubica as a simulator driver. Does this satisfies Orlen?

DO: <laughs> I just answered that. 

PB: He would be in F1, just not racing...

DO: We have talks, we are prepared for many possibilities...

PB: Would it be an acceptable scenario?

DO: We will give you full info soon. I will only say this: you will be pleased.

PB: When will be that?

DO: Soon. I think 4 to 6 weeks from now it will be very clear. 

Advertisement

#2 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,294 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:57

He is either speculating, or there is one big announcement coming in the next 4 to 6 weeks!

#3 CSF

CSF

• 2,842 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:01

Kubica to Mercedes, Hamilton to retire! 

#4 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:04

This interview sounds as annoying as the whole Williams thread all year.

#5 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:06

Kubica to Stefan-F1.....you heard it here first!

Best bet is an Audi DTM drive with development/sim work for an F1 team...possibly as the reserve driver too.

#6 AndyPerry

AndyPerry

• 507 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:07

Either Orlen sets up an F1 team for 2020 season, or Robert won't be racing in F1. The only other option is some FPS with a team like Haas in exchange for $$. But that isn't racing, of course.

#7 CSF

CSF

• 2,842 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:08

They seem a very strange company.

#8 rkrp

rkrp

• 248 posts

Kubica to Mercedes, Hamilton to retire! 

I took this conversation away from Williams topic to avoid such comments. If you're not interested in Kubica's career - there's a lot of places you can go. If you were annoyed by the Williams thread all year, don't bring it here. 

#9 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,223 posts

Best bet is an Audi DTM drive with development/sim work for an F1 team...possibly as the reserve driver too.

This.

#10 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,676 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:09

Orlen must like throwing their money away.

Which team would be crazy enough / cash strapped to take him on?

#11 Peat

Peat

• 8,872 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:12

The cult of Kubica. *sigh*

#12 CSF

CSF

• 2,842 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:13

I took this conversation away from Williams topic to avoid such comments. If you're not interested in Kubica's career - there's a lot of places you can go. If you were annoyed by the Williams thread all year, don't bring it here. 

There is no seat available for Robert outside of Williams though. The sponsor has been making stupid statements for a while now, and this is just another one to add to the list.

#13 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:17

Seems as they they maybbeing willing to open up the purse strings to try and convince someone like a Haas who’s going to be down on cash as a means of filling up the it coffers...

#14 rkrp

rkrp

• 248 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:18

He is either speculating, or there is one big announcement coming in the next 4 to 6 weeks!

Obajtek doesn't strike me as a person who is speculating. In the interview he talked a lot of Orlen's plan to co-brand and rebrand their business outside Poland and they need F1 to do that. 
There was a lot of rumours about his plans, big ones, from Orlen employees. I decided not to bring that here as there's no point. 

It's no surprise Orlen is talking with Racing Point and Haas. Kubica will have no problem getting 3rd seat with friday drives. But i also think Obajtek aims for something more. 

And once again. I'd rather see this topic as a place to post some news about Kubica's future rather than another sh*tstorm about him beeing unable to drive with regular steering wheel or how Williams car are perfectly equal or quite opposite. Thanks.

Edited by rkrp, 08 October 2019 - 11:19.

#15 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:32

He’ll pick up a third or reserve driver role somewhere.

#16 rkrp

rkrp

• 248 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:36

He’ll pick up a third or reserve driver role somewhere.

He doesn't need 20mln for that. But yeah, he probably will.

#17 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:38

Nailed on Racing Point something-or-other.

#18 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,260 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:40

Nothing. I dont see the point in hanging around. Have a go a DM or TCR somwhere

#19 Anja

Anja

• 10,355 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:44

In the interview he talked a lot of Orlen's plan to co-brand and rebrand their business outside Poland and they need F1 to do that. 

This was stated as one of the main F1 sponsorship goals a year ago already. And of course they'll only start implementing it as Kubica stops racing in F1, good job Orlen. 

Advertisement

#20 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:47

Maybe Orlen are in talks with Agent 47. Lewis Hamilton better watch out for pink flamingoes.

#21 rkrp

rkrp

• 248 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:57

This was stated as one of the main F1 sponsorship goals a year ago already. And of course they'll only start implementing it as Kubica stops racing in F1, good job Orlen. 

And the full statement was that this is long term plan. F1 is a part of it. You probably know better, but i will still rather listen to Obajtek, who leads a company that have a Q2 profit of 628mln euro (140mln more than last years Q2). Sorry.

#22 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,834 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:11

Maybe Orlen are in talks with Agent 47. Lewis Hamilton better watch out for pink flamingoes.

If Lewis is vegan I don't think he's allowed to eat dogshi- oh you're not talking about the movie.

#23 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,730 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:13

That interview sounds like it is with someone answering all questions by smugly tapping the side of his nose.

#24 rkrp

rkrp

• 248 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:20

That interview sounds like it is with someone answering all questions by smugly tapping the side of his nose.

It was 10 min video interview. The part I translated lasted maybe 2 minutes. Interviewer tried to get as much from Obajtek as possible. Sorry if I made it look this way, but in fact it was just a quick conversation with a busy man during some economical congress.

#25 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,033 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:21

So, 4 open seats. Alfa Romeo (The Ferrari choice), Red Bull & TR and Williams. Kubica will not return to Williams, don't see Ferrari putting him in Alfa instead of any of their jr./reserve drivers. Then all that's left is one of the two red bull seats.

#26 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 733 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:25

What if Williams is for sale? Perhaps Robert needed to cut ties with the contracting entity first?
That's all I got. Annoying interview indeed.

#27 Krr

Krr

• 669 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:26

It does not happen overnight you know.

The main goal at the moment is Germany where Orlen owns all Star petrol stations. They already tried with Orlen brand several years ago, but it did not work out, maily due to specific of German market, also Orlen was not the same company back it the day, as it is today.

Plan is to start co-branding soon, where on Star stations new baners will appear with "Orlen Group" on it, and then re-branding to be finished in 3 years. This is not like oppening some grocery shop on the village in the middle of nowhere.

BTW, have anyone here from non polish posters have occasion to visit Orlen station recently? If not, I strongly reccomend it, they are one of the best I've ever been, and I've been in several countires across the world. Fast food is delicious!

#28 rkrp

rkrp

• 248 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:26

So, 4 open seats. Alfa Romeo (The Ferrari choice), Red Bull & TR and Williams. Kubica will not return to Williams, don't see Ferrari putting him in Alfa instead of any of their jr./reserve drivers. Then all that's left is one of the two red bull seats.

Well, Grosjean is confirmed but i don't see why he couldn't be replaced with so many dnfs. I mean, that's Haas. There's a lot going on there.
Lance Stroll hasn't been confirmed for 2020. But that's not an option unless he finally says he's bored with F1 (heard that a lot as rumours).

#29 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,730 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:32

It was 10 min video interview. The part I translated lasted maybe 2 minutes. Interviewer tried to get as much from Obajtek as possible. Sorry if I made it look this way, but in fact it was just a quick conversation with a busy man during some economical congress.

Nah, sorry for cracking wise and thanks for doing it  - I appreciate translated conversations stripped of the body language etc are going to seem different from the original context.

#30 Krr

Krr

• 669 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:39

Nah, sorry for cracking wise and thanks for doing it - I appreciate translated conversations stripped of the body language etc are going to seem different from the original context.

You should not take much from Obajtek body language as he suffers for Tourette's syndrom.

Anyway, from 7,30 about Robert, but in polish obvioulsy.

https://www.pb.pl/sp...i-orlenu-972321

#31 pdac

pdac

• 17,308 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:45

That interview sounds to be like someone who has wasted his money and does not want to accept that.

It's about brand recognition

You need more than one year in F1

They are doing this with Kubica

So it follows that if Kubica is not in F1 next year then the operation has failed and they've thrown away all of the money they've invested to date - something he does not want to accept or admit.

Edited by pdac, 08 October 2019 - 12:45.

#32 AndyPerry

AndyPerry

• 507 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:49

Well, Grosjean is confirmed but i don't see why he couldn't be replaced with so many dnfs. I mean, that's Haas. There's a lot going on there.
Lance Stroll hasn't been confirmed for 2020. But that's not an option unless he finally says he's bored with F1 (heard that a lot as rumours).

This is dream territory. Robert won't be racing full time in F1 next year. That means Orlen CEO is either bull****ing or will later claim that doing FPS equals racing.

Edited by AndyPerry, 08 October 2019 - 12:54.

#33 Krr

Krr

• 669 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:57

That interview sounds to be like someone who has wasted his money and does not want to accept that.

So it follows that if Kubica is not in F1 next year then the operation has failed and they've thrown away all of the money they've invested to date - something he does not want to accept or admit.

Have you actually watched it and understand in full?

Obajtek looks as comfortable and happy about their cooperation as always.

Advertisement equivallent itself was about 15 mln up to date, not to mention almost 100 mln euro profit increase in first 2Q of 2019 compared to 2018 in non petrol sales on their stations. What not to be happy about?

#34 rkrp

rkrp

• 248 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:58

Why speculating if you have the numbers? Orlen is extremely happy with Robert. Even if he's last. He's supported by 70% of ppl (not only f1 fans), Orlen got $15mln marketing equivalent from him. Sales are much better, recognition is much better. They even showed how many competition customers switched to them due to F1 presence.

What do you have? An opinion, and urge to justify it.

#35 rkrp

rkrp

• 248 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:59

This is dream territory. Robert won't be racing full time in F1 next year. That means Orlen CEO is either bull****ing or will later claim that doing FPS equals racing.

Don't be so harsh. Romain is so much fun (but yes, Grosjean out is a dream ;))

#36 Mark521

Mark521

• 532 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 13:14

I don't understand why anyone can be so critical about what was said in this interview.  Daniel Obajtek - Orlen CEO only says that they will be some sort of sponsor in F1 next year and Kubica will be involved.  He never says Kubica will be racing, he just says they are talking with a number of different entities about a number of different options.  The interviewer pushes for a more definitive answer but he only gets the normal "I can't say what we're doing next year as we either don't know exactly" (or we want to make a big announcement later).

For the moment I believe that Orlen the company thinks using F1 as an advertising/branding vehicle is a good idea and using Kubica as a "face" is also a good idea. If they want to spend enough money then they can get a F1 team to paint Kubica's picture on their cars while wearing an Orlen's hat.  After the Rich Energy saga I'd bet Haas F1 would sign them up in a heartbeat.  :rotfl: 

#37 rkrp

rkrp

• 248 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 13:20

But is Rich Energy saga over tho? :stoned:

#38 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 13:56

Why speculating if you have the numbers? Orlen is extremely happy with Robert. Even if he's last. He's supported by 70% of ppl (not only f1 fans), Orlen got $15mln marketing equivalent from him. Sales are much better, recognition is much better. They even showed how many competition customers switched to them due to F1 presence.

70% of people? Is that Polish people? Sounds a rather high figure.

#39 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 1,292 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 14:15

Retirement. Or a test driver role.

He has shown himself as a out of his depth in the modern F1 era.

His injuries don't help matters, being able to use the controls on the steering wheel correctly and effeciently is part of the challenge of F1.

Advertisement

#40 Mark521

Mark521

• 532 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 14:25

But is Rich Energy saga over tho? :stoned:

Yes, it is for Haas F1.  At least for now.  

#41 rkrp

rkrp

• 248 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 14:30

70% of people? Is that Polish people? Sounds a rather high figure.

Yep, Poles. That number is really high, considering that most people think Orlen is sponsoring Kubica with no real benefit.

Retirement. Or a test driver role.

He has shown himself as a out of his depth in the modern F1 era.

His injuries don't help matters, being able to use the controls on the steering wheel correctly and effeciently is part of the challenge of F1.

Agree to disagree. He has shown he has no problems caused by the injuries driving the car. I think the fight about his streering wheel would be funny for him. It could be more handy for him, Williams couldn't do it properly, too bad. Move on. He did Monaco, he did rain. He did Singapore with arm injury. 

As for the speed. I think there was nothing really to prove in that car. But let's leave it there. If we are lucky, we will see him driving something more like an F1 car in the future.

I mean you need to be fair. In the end Williams did not deliver. Yet Kubica scored that one impossible point. Need to respect that.

#42 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 733 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 15:11

Could Robert become the Polish Brundle, with Orlen making it interesting for him?

#43 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,714 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 15:15

I've no idea what Orlen is.

That's my contribution to this thread.

#44 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 730 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 15:26

Agree to disagree. He has shown he has no problems caused by the injuries driving the car. I think the fight about his streering wheel would be funny for him. It could be more handy for him, Williams couldn't do it properly, too bad. Move on. He did Monaco, he did rain. He did Singapore with arm injury. 

As for the speed. I think there was nothing really to prove in that car. But let's leave it there. If we are lucky, we will see him driving something more like an F1 car in the future.

I mean you need to be fair. In the end Williams did not deliver. Yet Kubica scored that one impossible point. Need to respect that.

It's all sunshine and lollipops for Robert and his tremendous skills. Too bad that pesky Williams team has taken him down and made him look so bad. Seriously, you're discounting his lack of speed because you "think there was nothing really to prove in that car", when he's been pasted by George all season long. Rose tinted glasses much?

If he has amazing feedback skills, he might find a job in F1 driving a simulator. Otherwise, he'll be finding a job outside of F1 after how this season has gone for him.

#45 pdac

pdac

• 17,308 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 15:33

Have you actually watched it and understand in full?

Obajtek looks as comfortable and happy about their cooperation as always.

Advertisement equivallent itself was about 15 mln up to date, not to mention almost 100 mln euro profit increase in first 2Q of 2019 compared to 2018 in non petrol sales on their stations. What not to be happy about?

His answer, when pressed on what he would do if Kubica did not get an F1 seat next year was to suggest that the questions were already answered or were meaningless. I don't need to see or hear anymore to understand what was going on there.

Edited by pdac, 08 October 2019 - 15:35.

#46 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 15:34

Yet Kubica scored that one impossible point. Need to respect that.

He's also getting spanked 12:2 by his Rookie team mate and one swallow does not a summer make especially if that point came from 7 retirements and 2 pretty harsh penalties. I mean both Williams drivers still came effectively last just that last was pretty far up the field.

#47 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,033 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 15:42

That would be extremely weird, even for Haas to confirm a driver to get rid of said driver within 2 months... I mean that's almost Sauber territory.

#48 rkrp

rkrp

• 248 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 15:51

His answer, when pressed on what he would do if Kubica did not get an F1 seat next year was to suggest that the questions were already answered or were meaningless. I don't need to see or hear anymore to understand what was going on there.

So you ignore the facts and official statements to do some reading between the lines so it fits your opinion xD Nice one pdac, nice one. 

He's also getting spanked 12:2 by his Rookie team mate and one swallow does not a summer make especially if that point came from 7 retirements and 2 pretty harsh penalties. I mean both Williams drivers still came effectively last just that last was pretty far up the field.

Not this thread really. Some ppl think Kubica is ridiculously slow, some think the cars aren't equal. This was the conversation we had in Williams thread. Go there if you cannot leave it behind. Maybe you'll still find someone willing to repeat this over and over again. Cheers.

#49 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 15:58

That would be extremely weird, even for Haas to confirm a driver to get rid of said driver within 2 months... I mean that's almost Sauber territory.

That would be indeed weird and probably will only happen if Haas has unexpected financial issues of which they didnt know about last month, which seems very unlikely. 

It's quite obvious that Kubica's only options in F1 are test driver roles, except of Williams all available seats are owned by teams that dont have money issues (Red Bull/Ferrari), so not really sure what there is to discuss about. He'll probably end up being a test driver at Racing Point or Haas (more likely the later since I assume he has better chances of a 2021 seat there, as Steiner seems to value experience over potential, also Orlen would probably get a better sponsorship deal than at Racing Point) and do something like DTM on the side.

#50 pdac

pdac

• 17,308 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 16:15

So you ignore the facts and official statements to do some reading between the lines so it fits your opinion xD Nice one pdac, nice one. 

Not this thread really. Some ppl think Kubica is ridiculously slow, some think the cars aren't equal. This was the conversation we had in Williams thread. Go there if you cannot leave it behind. Maybe you'll still find someone willing to repeat this over and over again. Cheers.

I ignored no facts pertaining to the issue at hand - which was, if he thinks that it makes no sense to go into F1 for just one year, what is he going to do if Robert does not get a seat next year. All the facts are there - he evaded these questions. I'm not passing judgement on whether Robert will be in F1 next year or not or, indeed, whether, in my opinion, Orlen's marketing campaign has been a success. All I'm doing is taking the words of Daniel Obajtek, when asked very specific questions and coming to a conclusion that, by the standards that he's declared, he could well have wasted his money and he knows that.