Photo

Bobbies on the beat

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 397 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:40

Last week I was contacted as someone who apparently knows a little of Le Mans.

The question was why were there two British Bobbies in the pit lane at the 1966 Le Mans 24 Hours?

How little I really know of Le Mans was demonstrated by the fact that I could not answer, beyond some vague speculation of a connection to the Football World Cup.

If there is any group that will have the correct answer I suspect it will be this one.

Here is a screen grab of the pair.

Capture.jpg

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:37

Presumably some sort of 'exchange visit'? There is of course un flic with them. And I might be wrong, but is the smiling chap on the right wearing a British fire brigade uniform? Cap badge doesn't look to be big enough for a police force one, but the cap pattern seems identical to this:

cap_1_orig.jpg

Source: https://www.240flm.c...d-uniforms.html

See also various crew photos on the Greater Manchester Fire Service Museum site: http://gmfsmuseum.or...igade-histories

I do vaguely remember some visiting French policemen being on the beat with the local lads where I went to school in Berkshire. Late 1960s.

#3 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 13:10

Both UK Police have cameras as well. Not on duty?

#4 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 13:49

Both UK Police have cameras as well. Not on duty?

Could be a scam by unaccredited photographers with access to fancy dress, but not to ACO pit-lane passes. Perhaps not, the cameras look a little low key, even for 1966.  :)

#5 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 17:33

I have always wondered why in those days there was half the French police force in the Le Mans pitlane, let alone British PCs.  Were they afraid that someone might sneak off with a Ferrari P4?  Or was it all a massive jolly for them - in which case, visiting British police might well get in on the act, cameras and all.  Or was Ken Miles on the wanted list back home?

#6 moffspeed

moffspeed

• 232 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 19:45

Could be a photo-shop but can't understand why anyone would bother as there can be no "value" in doing this.

If it is genuine then the Dutray clock is just a few minutes shy of 4 and the track appears wet, so that must mean the end rather than the beginning of the race.

Off to see the film next week, I presume I'll be watching Le Mans 66 rather than Ford v Ferrari over here in the UK.  That's fine by me as Le Mans 66 (as in the Decca LP record) was my most prized childhood possession....

Edited by moffspeed, 10 November 2019 - 19:47.

#7 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 397 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:01

Perhaps I should have included a little more information, humble apologies to all.

The screen grab is from a film - not Photoshopped but a commentary on Ken Miles being robbed of his victory

8 Meters: Triumph, Tragedy and a Photo Finish at Le Mans

https://www.youtube....h?v=fhiWRTDZ7-E

#8 john aston

john aston

• 2,700 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:40

The arrival of some carabinieri - with  cool shades and attitude to spare - would certainly liven up some of the duller race meetings I get to.

It speaks volumes for our sport that unlike at ball games , the only police presence tends to be the traffic police dropping in for a coffee and an ogle at the cars . Unless it's a drug bust anyway ...

#9 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 397 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:41

The are quite a number of Formula One photographers down the years have not enjoyed the addition of Belgian police to the mix at Spa during the Grand Prix. Some have been arrested for standing in places that their accreditiation allowed; reason or following pre-agreed protocols were not strong suits for the Federale Politie.

#10 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 21:44

Not just photographers. Ronnie 1970 and I think Jacques Laffite at Zolder one year had unpleasant meetings with les vieux Guillaumes  !!

#11 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 17:37

And didn't Colin Chapman fall foul of the cops ....at Zandvoort, was it?

#12 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 17:47

Chapman running from the police

#13 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,585 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:33

Presumably some sort of 'exchange visit'? There is of course un flic with them. And I might be wrong, but is the smiling chap on the right wearing a British fire brigade uniform? Cap badge doesn't look to be big enough for a police force one, but the cap pattern seems identical to this:

cap_1_orig.jpg

Source: https://www.240flm.c...d-uniforms.html

See also various crew photos on the Greater Manchester Fire Service Museum site: http://gmfsmuseum.or...igade-histories

I do vaguely remember some visiting French policemen being on the beat with the local lads where I went to school in Berkshire. Late 1960s.

The Cap Badge on the chap on the extreme right looks like that of the Ulster Constabulary.

#14 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:12

The RUC did wear peaked caps, but I don't think the badge pattern matches, Steve. RUC badges are asymmetric, whereas the one in the screenshot looks symmetrical.

http://royalulsterco...rg/uniforms.htm

https://www.cultmanc...product_id=7490

#15 68targa

68targa

• 1,148 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 18:20

Page 243 of  Rainer Schlegelmich's superb book Sportscar Racing 1962-1973 shows the1966 Le Mans winners podium with the two bobbies standing on the far right so they were certainly getting a good view. There's a website http://www.britishpolicehelmet.co.uk for those wanting to gen up on police badge designs !

#16 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:40

47657-EB7-4378-4-A9-E-917-A-39463-B64469

FB7-A92-D9-44-D7-487-B-BDB7-A8-E4-F57-C6

#17 404KF2

404KF2

• 19,131 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 06:36

'ello 'ello 'ello

#18 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 06:46

In response to post #1, I think perhaps the Met sent a few lads over to look out for the interests Ken against the preponderance of Colonials from the Americas and the Antipodes.

Ken-on-Podium.jpg

#19 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 397 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:09

Good Moaning..............

Advertisement

#20 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 397 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 17:09

I have had another mail in that gives the full story. 

I have confirmation the Officers in question are from the Isle of Wight force, part of Hampshire Constabulary. The conservator of the Hampshire Police History Society has been able to identify two individual officers, and has located and spoken to one of them ! A great bit of detective work. They were there as part of an exercise by the International Police Association to improve cross-border assistance and co-operation. The Gendarmerie were very hospitable. The trip was repeated in 1967, but with different officers. So, no photo shop work !

As a really nice side story, the officer who has been located was apparently the very first UK officer to drive a Volvo Amazon patrol car. The Hampshire Police History Society have recently found, bought, and restored said car, and now a reunion of car and driver may be possible !

#21 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 17:14

Ah yes, I remember the flak that Hampshire Police got for daring to buy foreign vehicles.  In those long ago pre-social media days, it still made the papers as a piece of unpatriotism.  Many years later, there was some controversy when Surrey Police considered buying Skoda Favorits.  Today, there would be Twitter meltdown and outrage, except that there are no British cars anymore.