Photo

Your ideas for a great movie?

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Cappo

Cappo

• 101 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 19:53

Prompted by the various discussions on the recent movie on the rivalry between Ford and Ferrari, and other motor sport movies (based on true events) such as Rush, I thought it might be an interesting challenge to see what the knowledgeable community that lurk on here would like nominate as to a suitable dramatic story for a Motorsport movie blockbuster!

I'll start it off by suggesting

1. Helle Nice - motor racing, nude dancing, millionaires, downhill skiing, Nazi spy's and a tragic ending. Oscar winner?

Advertisement

#2 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 896 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 20:01

Jean-Pierre Wimille, Robert Benoist and William Grover-Williams; triumph, tragedy and heroism.

#3 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 20:45

VIVA!

The story of a madman snowmobile racer living out of a station wagon to work his way towards driving Badass blood-red cars every which way but straight.

#4 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 21:28

HAMILTON!

A sung-and-rapped through version of the six times world champion's glittering career.

#5 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,088 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 22:10

Jean-Pierre Wimille, Robert Benoist and William Grover-Williams; triumph, tragedy and heroism.

Definitely, but we'd all say: "It's not as good as the book."

#6 Pascal

Pascal
  • Administrator Emeritus

• 22,897 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 22:49

The Zanardi story.

An inspirational tale of speed, tragedy, and triumph over adversity that would make Niki Lauda's comeback look like a walk in the park.

Chasing the Rondeau.

How in the 1980 edition of Le Mans the mighty Jacky Ickx in a race-proven Porsche faced the unexpected challenge of trying to catch up with an artisanal car driven by its maker and a veteran driver, and ultimately failed.

#7 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,038 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 23:04

The Ottorino Volonterio Story?

(This may not be an entirely serious suggestion)

#8 LucaP

LucaP

• 1,478 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 23:50

The real Lanier-Whttington story

#9 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:53

The Porsche family.

#10 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:55

• Richard Seaman.

• The 1958 Grand Prix season.

• The rise and fall of Colin Chapman.

• The life and times of William Grover-Williams.

Well that's a start anyway.   ;)

#11 10kDA

10kDA

• 1,000 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:51

Jim Hall

#12 Bikr7549

Bikr7549

• 338 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:25

Dan Gurney

#13 rudi

rudi

• 345 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:20

Sportscar Heaven 1957

#14 GazChed

GazChed

• 698 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:36

'Our Nige' . Drama all the way !

#15 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:47

Indy '65

with Martin Compston as Jim Clark and Michael Sheen as Colin Chapman.

#16 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,909 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:07

Indy '65

with Martin Compston as Jim Clark and Michael Sheen as Colin Chapman.

With in mind the books about those years, Indy '64 and '94 may be more interesting with more stunning plots.

Edit: as for '94 it is of course the story about the secret Ilmor 265E engine and all that happened to make that happen that would make most of the story.

Edited by Henri Greuter, 26 November 2019 - 09:19.

#17 1969BOAC500

1969BOAC500

• 113 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:41

'Mon Ami Mate'. Almost impossible to recreate the racing scenes with conviction - but there wouldn't be a dry eye in the house.

#18 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 896 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:28

Archie Scott-Brown's story would make a cracking film and with a wide audience, if done well.

#19 RobertE

RobertE

• 292 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:54

Archie's tale was optioned by an Anglo-American production company, heavy discussions, castings, budgets, etc., but the Company went bust during the financial unpleasantness of 2008. All rights were reverted back to me, as the writer. Oddly enough, I had originally conceived the project not as a book, but a film!

But I didn't know how to do that. I still don't, in fact and I marvel at those who know that market...

Advertisement

#20 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 13:13

A Musical Comedy about the rise and fall of the Silver Arrows.

#21 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 14:04

Thirties. Top driver at the height of his career meets the wife of a teammate and they fall for each other. Scandal on the newspapers and newsreels. She introduces him to drugs, he is caught into a downward spiral, until forced to abandon his racing career.

Fast-forward a couple of years. The guy is rehabilitating, also thanks to the care of his new girlfriend, who is in fact an old flame. He resumes his racing career, starting from scratch. No more silver cars, he has to settle for an old and underpowered red car in GP racing.

End of July 193…. War impending over Europe. German GP on the Green Hell of the Nordschleife. Day of days looming. Everything is set for the greatest victory of the silver cars, in front of the dictator in attendance.

What can possibly happen…?

Silver cars

Red cars

Drivers

Team manager silver cars (not a caricature)

Team manager red cars (not a caricature)

Realistic racing scenes

Totalitarian officials (not caricatures)

Sergio Leone would have been ideal

If made, I want my royalties…

#22 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 14:12

Kind of been done, Michael. Have you not seen the propaganda placements cameos of Messrs Lang, von Brauchitsch and Caracciola and three W125s in Es leuchten die Sterne? Go to 9'25".

#23 D28

D28

• 2,028 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 14:29

VIVA!

The story of a madman snowmobile racer living out of a station wagon to work his way towards driving Badass blood-red cars every which way but straight.

A project by well known Quebec producer Kevin Tierney on the Gilles story is on hold due to disagreement on story line with the family. Tierney was working on a story of the early years, up to the call from Maranello. Joann is reported to now favour an international  TV series. But stay tuned, there was enough drama in Gilles life for 3 or 4 movies, something is likely to be produced.

#24 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,545 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 14:35

1. Helle Nice - motor racing, nude dancing, millionaires, downhill skiing, Nazi spy's and a tragic ending. Oscar winner?

Both optioned and never produced, I believe.

The Connew story wouldn't stand a chance of production. No way that happened.

#25 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 14:59

With in mind the books about those years, Indy '64 and '94 may be more interesting with more stunning plots.

Edit: as for '94 it is of course the story about the secret Ilmor 265E engine and all that happened to make that happen that would make most of the story.

No human interest story though. And the general public wouldn't understand what all the fuss was about. I have problems myself (!) - Ilmor saw a loophole and exploited it, and everyone else gets a fit of the vapours? I thought it was just us Brits who said "dash it all chaps, that's not cricket".

As for Indy '64, that would be in my narrative - near victory in 1963, failure in 1964 and then 'third time lucky'.

#26 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 15:41

Without doubt the inspiring, compelling but ultimately tragic story of Dick and Erika Seaman...

DCN

#27 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 896 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 16:13

Thirties. Top driver at the height of his career meets the wife of a teammate and they fall for each other. Scandal on the newspapers and newsreels. She introduces him to drugs, he is caught into a downward spiral, until forced to abandon his racing career.

Fast-forward a couple of years. The guy is rehabilitating, also thanks to the care of his new girlfriend, who is in fact an old flame. He resumes his racing career, starting from scratch. No more silver cars, he has to settle for an old and underpowered red car in GP racing.

End of July 193…. War impending over Europe. German GP on the Green Hell of the Nordschleife. Day of days looming. Everything is set for the greatest victory of the silver cars, in front of the dictator in attendance.

Silver cars

Red cars

Drivers

Realistic racing scenes

...or a film about Nuvolari.  :cool:

#28 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 16:14

Oh yes, the lengthy monologues about how difficult each race had been would be the highlights.  Perhaps Jasper Carrott to play the lead?  A proper Brummie accent - take that Christian Bale!

With an ensemble song and dance number "Scraping the paint off a car" as the finale?

#29 D28

D28

• 2,028 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 16:25

Excellent idea, with Varzi as a foil!  Still, all those P3 Alfas and other vintage cars would be a bit pricey to replicate for the racing scenes.

#30 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,909 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 17:44

No human interest story though. And the general public wouldn't understand what all the fuss was about. I have problems myself (!) - Ilmor saw a loophole and exploited it, and everyone else gets a fit of the vapours? I thought it was just us Brits who said "dash it all chaps, that's not cricket".

As for Indy '64, that would be in my narrative - near victory in 1963, failure in 1964 and then 'third time lucky'.

Does a movie have to be a human story? How about the people who made it all possible, working in secrecy and planning all kind of tricks ans situations to keep things secret? Or the men who had to come up with brilliant solutions preferrably `yesterday`?

No offence intended because I am a Clark fan as well if hit comes to his Indy career. But the '65 race was so much of a boredom event while in practice also little happened, the '63 and '64  events had way more history and events that happened even for Lotus and Clark themselves. It makes that your so called climax event is a near letdown and making the movie fizzle out and die out after all the best parts had been in the first half.

#31 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 18:10

You'll be proud to know it's what I call the Missus when she veers towards the dramatic.  :kiss:

#32 Bikr7549

Bikr7549

• 338 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 18:30

Does a movie have to be a human story? How about the people who made it all possible, working in secrecy and planning all kind of tricks ans situations to keep things secret? Or the men who had to come up with brilliant solutions preferrably `yesterday`?

No offence intended because I am a Clark fan as well if hit comes to his Indy career. But the '65 race was so much of a boredom event while in practice also little happened, the '63 and '64  events had way more history and events that happened even for Lotus and Clark themselves. It makes that your so called climax event is a near letdown and making the movie fizzle out and die out after all the best parts had been in the first half.

To me that is really the most interesting part of a story, and was one of the best parts of the Lotus 72 DVD that Gary C recently released-the actual hands on people who made it happen were there talking about how they made it happen. The wrench turners, the drivers, the procurement department-all the functions needed to make up a functional group. But that level of minutia bores most people unfortunately and would hamper a big screen release.

#33 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 18:41

With an ensemble song and dance number "Scraping the paint off a car" as the finale?

Something like that, yeah. But not as the finale, I think there's no way this could work w/o a big ballet of the NSKK honchos and henchmen.

#34 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 18:49

Oh yes, the lengthy monologues about how difficult each race had been would be the highlights.  Perhaps Jasper Carrott to play the lead?  A proper Brummie accent - take that Christian Bale!

Excellent idea! The Drama Queen in Cinemascope and Dolby Stereo!! But I would keep the focus on his suffering during or after the races, remember, the knife edges on the trophy, the pinched nerve in his back etc. Like, "... and now to the race where his head fell off..."

#35 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 19:16

It's not about Nuvolari. The point is a story that works on its own to represent the possible themes of the film: the troubles and overcoming of a driver, to recreate and represent the atmosphere of an era for example like the Thirties with all (a lot) that went on, and so on. The story, plot and themes must capture the attention and be realistic enough to held the suspension of disbelief, exactly without thinking all the times "that one is Nuvolari and the other is Varzi", when one knows already how they actually looked like. And the racing realistic all along to enjoy the scenes.

If I wanted a biopic - which I really don't, I'd rather a well-made documentary - I would have stated it explicitly. Like someone else on TNF has said, me too I don't have taste and time for motorsport fiction films purporting to show what actually happened. Even less for hagiographies like "Senna".  I have never watched Rush, precisely because the "rivalry" Hunt-Lauda I watched it live on TV and followed it week-by-week on the magazines. For me Lauda is exactly the person he was, likewise Hunt. An actor impersonating them would never work for me, it would look a caricature.

I presume and have assumed the thread is about ideas for a fiction movie, with an original story, not a documentary.

EDIT: only to add that "your mileage may vary". Needless to say.

Edited by Regazzoni, 26 November 2019 - 19:19.

#36 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,909 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 19:49

Silver cars

Red cars

Drivers

Realistic racing scenes

I read a lot of Rudolf Carraciola in all of this.....

#37 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 20:19

Someone "operatic" like Luchino Visconti.or David Lean, or Leone.

Anyway, it's all a joke. I want to see great racing and sporting drama - and current F1 is not the place for that.

#38 SKL

SKL

• 1,416 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 20:33

For anyone in the PHX area until next March you can see Helle Nice's Bugatti type 35 in all its glory at the PHX Art Museum along with an unbelieveable collection of historically important race cars...  (how about Clark's Indy winning Lotus,  the big Eagle's Spa winning Gurney/Weslake + many more)

#39 chr1s

chr1s

• 457 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 20:45

I've always thought David Purley's life would make a great film.

Advertisement

#40 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 22:46

I think Mel Brooks may have covered this in Springtime for Hitler but, sadly, it never made the final cut.

#41 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 23:07

FOYT: Just Try Beating Me

#42 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 00:24

FOYT: Just Try Beating Me

How bout:  FOYT: I'm From Texas. I Don't Kiss Men!   :cool:

#43 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,623 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:27

Pedro and Seppi in 917's. You could do one just on the Rodriguez family actually........

#44 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,585 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:15

Emerson Fittipaldi's rise to become World Champion

#45 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 18:26

The Connew story wouldn't stand a chance of production. No way that happened.

So long as Hollywierd was left out I am convinced this would make a brilliant film, nothing a like a triumph over repeated adversity to warm the heart. Must dig out and re examine my Connew documentary notes ;-)  

#46 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 1,555 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 18:56

Peter Gregg

#47 retriever

retriever

• 560 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 20:57

I would like to see a movie where an audience of TNF members sit around a table for 90 minutes discussing whether car no 8 or car no 11 won the 1966 Le Mans race!

#48 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 22:35

I would like to see a movie where an audience of TNF members sit around a table for 90 minutes discussing whether car no 8 or car no 11 won the 1966 Le Mans race!

12 Grumpy Men?

#49 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 373 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 02:15

I'm not grumpy. I'm cheerfulness-challenged.

#50 404KF2

404KF2

• 19,131 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 02:36

+1 for Gilles, but it can't be called Viva.  No no no.