Photo

1979 Race of the Year

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,870 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 10:59

By chance I recently found out that the 1979 Race of the Year was held at Oulton Park, not Mallory Park. On digging deeper, neither Motocourse nor Motorsport aktuell offered any explanations as to why there was a change of venue, and in fact reported the event very much matter-of-factly, like there was nothing out of the ordinary. Which left me wondering, was this the only time the event took not place at Mallory, or were there other years as well, and does anybody know the reasons for the change?

Advertisement

#2 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,391 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 13:24

An article in the Football Post (Nottingham) 24 February 1979

said  it was "being transferred ... to give a better balance of International events".

It was certainly at Mallory again in 1980.

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,586 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 18:28

According to a brief report in the Daily Mail, Kenny Roberts wasn't keen on the switch as he didn't like Oulton, due to the poor surface, which had caused him to crash previously. Given that he won the race, maybe he changed his opinion!

#4 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,870 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 18:43

Unlikely! His only rival, Barry Sheene had broken a collarbone the week before, so anything else but a win would have been embarrassing for "King Kenny"! Third was Jeff Sayle on a 350 Yamaha...

#5 Steve99

Steve99

• 552 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:33

I'm pretty sure I was there. The meetings blend into one but I would likely have been perched in the press box keeping a lap chart for my father, a journo of the time. Probably have the programme somewhere too!