• RC Forum Host

• 24,676 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:14

Probably?

Adam Cooper
@adamcooperF1
·
3m
BA has suspended flights to China (“the safety of our customers and crew is always our priority”) and the UK Foreign Office advised against all non-essential travel. Chinese GP is still some weeks away but there must be doubts over it now

Possibly I am remembering this wrong, but travelling against FCO advice tends to invalidate all kinds of insurance so if they are still issuing that advice come race weekend, I really doubt it's happening.

Advertisement

#2 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:48

I was thinking about this issue right now. Good chance it might be canceled. The virus situation seems pretty damn serious.

#3 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:16

It all depends on the next 2-3 weeks. If it can be contained it will fizzle out but if the number of infected people continue to rise there is no way the gp will go ahead (atleast with people coming to see the race)

#4 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:24

Obviously extremely rare for F1 races to be cancelled, when was the last one?

There are contracts, planning and movement of race equipment months in advance, presumably decisions will need to be taken quite soon.

Like everyone, I'm hoping it's contained and controlled quickly of course not just for F1 race but for humanity. China seems to be acting very proactively but it's still a wild one !

#5 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,676 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:26

It all depends on the next 2-3 weeks. If it can be contained it will fizzle out but if the number of infected people continue to rise there is no way the gp will go ahead (atleast with people coming to see the race)

Yeah, in all honesty, large collections of people in one place for a few days who then disperse all over the world are bad news if you're trying to contain epidemics.

#6 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,355 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:27

Really wouldn't want F1 to be either a victim or a carrier for the disease.

#7 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:30

There are contracts, planning and movement of race equipment months in advance, presumably decisions will need to be taken quite soon.

Like everyone, I'm hoping it's contained and controlled quickly of course not just for F1 race but for humanity. China seems to be acting very proactively but it's still a wild one !

Flag_of_Bahrain.gif

#8 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:30

The last one was the 2011 Bahrain GP due to protests/unrest

#9 Beri

Beri

• 11,636 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:01

Simply common sense makes Liberty not even think twice on cancelling this Grand Prix.

#10 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,126 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:10

The F1 juggernaut doesn’t stop easily, would expect an announcement very soon. Also Chinese government unlikely to let it go ahead unless there’s some magic turnaround in the situation there.

#11 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,676 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:12

Simply common sense makes Liberty not even think twice on cancelling this Grand Prix.

I guess some of it comes down to who pays out for all the costs associated with any cancellation. Who refunds the fans, hosting fee etc? 

#12 Beri

Beri

• 11,636 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:14

The F1 juggernaut doesn’t stop easily, would expect an announcement very soon. Also Chinese government unlikely to let it go ahead unless there’s some magic turnaround in the situation there.

Weren't you surprised when Bahrain was cancelled in 2011. And this was due to local issues. The current "thing" is a worldwide epidemic. Even juggernauts can grind to a halt faster than F1 cars can when the situation asks for it.

#13 Sash1

Sash1

• 1,295 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:15

Vietnam might be influenced as well at the rate this is going. At the moment there are 2 confirmed cases (Chinese Tourists) in Hanoi. And bordering Chinese provinces Yunnan and Guanxi have 40-50 confirmed cases each. The latter two are in the Wuhan phase of several weeks ago. A thing to keep an eye on.

http://www.asianews....ate-49134.html .

...if the authorities do not implement in time policies that protect human health, if they don’t increase controls or close border crossings with China, Vietnam will likely become the second country in terms of coronavirus cases in the Asia-Pacific region...

Lot's of if's, but imho Asia is a place to avoid the next months.

#14 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,126 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:22

Weren't you surprised when Bahrain was cancelled in 2011. And this was due to local issues. The current "thing" is a worldwide epidemic. Even juggernauts can grind to a halt faster than F1 cars can when the situation asks for it.

What I meant was a decision is likely to be made sooner rather than later.

#15 Talisman

Talisman

• 7,073 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:26

It won't be up to Liberty though.  The Chinese government has been very proactive, effectively shutting down an urban area that has a far bigger population than, say, London with all the economic consequences that would result.  They've also cancelled events across the country including areas that haven't seen cases so I don't think it will be too long before the GP is also shut down.  That is unless the outbreak peters out soon which I think is unlikely.

#16 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,649 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:34

This is likely to have a massive impact on shipping and logistics. F1 teams send motorhomes, garage equipment, etc. out to the flyaway races weeks in advance.

#17 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,546 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:44

Yeah, despite the GP being a few months away, they'll likely need to make a decision in the coming weeks.

#18 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,747 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:08

I think they'll try and reschedule it. That was the plan for the Bahrain GP in 2011, but in the end the country was not much more stable or safe in the autumn than it had been in spring. Grands Prix being moved because of force majeure are much more common than ones being cancelled altogether.

Is there a place in the autumn that the Chinese GP could be slotted into? Obviously a bit harder to achieve the more events you try and jam into the year. Midweek GP under the floodlights anyone?

#19 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:13

In logistical terms, the meeting takes place two weeks after F1’s inaugural race in Vietnam and cars and equipment could conceivably be held there while awaiting a decision on the race in Shanghai to be made.

A statement from F1 read: “At this stage we can only say that we’re monitoring the situation closely with our promoter in China and the FIA.”

Should it be deemed unsafe to hold the race, with 21 other meetings this season, finding a space to reschedule it appears unlikely. A spokesperson for the FIA emphasised that the decision would be made by F1, the promoter and National Sporting Association (ASN), which is the Federation of Automobile Sports of China.

“We are monitoring the situation in close collaboration with F1, the promoter and with our ASN which is our conduit on the ground in China,” the FIA said. “We are all monitoring it together. At this stage not much we can do except watch the situation and react if necessary, if recommendations are made by the relevant authorities.”

https://www.theguard...eat-coronavirus

Seems rescheduling is unlikely, cancelling seems the more obvious solution.

Advertisement

#20 Beri

Beri

• 11,636 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:17

It won't be up to Liberty though. The Chinese government has been very proactive, effectively shutting down an urban area that has a far bigger population than, say, London with all the economic consequences that would result. They've also cancelled events across the country including areas that haven't seen cases so I don't think it will be too long before the GP is also shut down. That is unless the outbreak peters out soon which I think is unlikely.

It will be up for Liberty to decide if the Government doesn't take action. Like it was the case in 2011, if I'm not mistaken. It was the decision of the FOM/Bernie that they cancelled the Grand Prix.

#21 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,258 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:28

Zika did not affect the Olympics. The situation will be under control by the time we get to testing. IMO It's overblown just like 99% of things in the media. 

#22 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 1,515 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:29

Wait what, cancelling the race for a coronavirus? Thats overkill.

#23 sgtkate

sgtkate

• 5,614 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:07

Wait what, cancelling the race for a coronavirus? Thats overkill.

China has effectively quarantined a major city and region as a result of the seriousness of the virus. Foreign flights in and out of China from a lot of Europe are suspended. Consulates from all nations are sending in full rescue squads to get the countries nationals out of the affected area. The spread of the virus is extremely fast and at present the death rate and infection rates are more serious than for SARs. But you still think a GP that brings hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world to sit together in close proximity doesn't present a risk that should be avoided?

#24 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,453 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:13

Vietnam might be influenced as well at the rate this is going. At the moment there are 2 confirmed cases (Chinese Tourists) in Hanoi. And bordering Chinese provinces Yunnan and Guanxi have 40-50 confirmed cases each. The latter two are in the Wuhan phase of several weeks ago. A thing to keep an eye on.

http://www.asianews....ate-49134.html .

Lot's of if's, but imho Asia is a place to avoid the next months.

You do realize that Germany, Canada, Australia has also been affected, do you?

#25 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,546 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:14

You do realize that Germany, Canada, Australia has also been affected, do you?

Better just cancel the season to be on the safe side...

#26 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:17

Just have the Chinese GP in Malaysia, like we had the Swiss GP in France in 1982. Problem solved.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 29 January 2020 - 12:17.

#27 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 733 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:19

Yeah, in all honesty, large collections of people in one place for a few days who then disperse all over the world are bad news if you're trying to contain epidemics.

Well, people are being flown back on intercontinental flights. Virus with up to two weeks incubation period during which it's contageous.
At this rate there may be absolutely no need to visit China, or Asia for that matter, to obtain the virus.
Good news I heard in passing is that supposedly it's not killing young people yet, but oldies have much reduced chances. As usual I suppose, but this is not a usual virus.

China is taking it seriously. F1 should need no more cue to reschedule.

#28 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,523 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:21

Absolutely. Safety always first.

#29 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,453 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:25

Better just cancel the season to be on the safe side...

Might as well just sit at home and don't come out..

#30 Talisman

Talisman

• 7,073 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:27

China has effectively quarantined a major city and region as a result of the seriousness of the virus. Foreign flights in and out of China from a lot of Europe are suspended. Consulates from all nations are sending in full rescue squads to get the countries nationals out of the affected area. The spread of the virus is extremely fast and at present the death rate and infection rates are more serious than for SARs. But you still think a GP that brings hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world to sit together in close proximity doesn't present a risk that should be avoided?

Yes it should be added that China's economy wasn't doing that well BEFORE the virus and the shutdowns have disrupted their industrial logistics massively which they'd have known would happen.  They've chosen to risk an economic downturn in order to contain this outbreak.  Anyone claiming that either the infection isn't serious or the Chinese aren't taking it seriously is simply uninformed.

#31 Peat

Peat

• 8,851 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:29

I find the blasé attitudes quite amusing. 

There'll always be thoses who revel in saying "see? nothing happened!" while blindly ignoring the vast amounts of money and effort that went into mitigating it. 

#32 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,950 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 13:36

People's health and safety is more important than one race that doesn't really add a whole lot to the calendar anyway. The sensible decision would undoubtedly be to cancel; but no doubt F1 is going through the motions and delaying that call till the last possible moment.

#33 Absulute

Absulute

• 1,051 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 13:39

There'll always be thoses who revel in saying "see? nothing happened!" while blindly ignoring the vast amounts of money and effort that went into mitigating it. 

Y2K

#34 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,217 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 15:20

Zika did not affect the Olympics.

Tell Hope Solo that.
Jp

#35 ANF

ANF

• 29,399 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 15:44

Due to the outbreak and continuing spread of the Novel Coronavirus, FIS, the Chinese Ski Association and its Yanqing Local Organising Committee, have jointly decided to cancel the upcoming men’s Audi FIS World Cup races scheduled for 15th-16th February 2020.
https://www.fis-ski....g-chn-cancelled

#36 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,258 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 16:23

Tell Hope Solo that.
Jp

Oh yeah I remember that - she deserved the trolling.  No doubt the villan of 2016 olympics. I wonder if she can Ryan Locthe are friends   ;)

#37 BRG

BRG

• 25,943 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 17:14

It is the media story of the week.  A few years ago, it was the ebola virus that was going to sweep the world.  There is a current ebola outbreak in Congo, but no-one is even mentioning it anymore. 

If the Chinese GP is cancelled, it doesn't bode well for Vietnam or for the Japanese GP (especially if the Tokyo Olympics are cancelled as well). 

#38 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,973 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 17:17

It is the media story of the week.  A few years ago, it was the ebola virus that was going to sweep the world.  There is a current ebola outbreak in Congo, but no-one is even mentioning it anymore. 

If the Chinese GP is cancelled, it doesn't bode well for Vietnam or for the Japanese GP (especially if the Tokyo Olympics are cancelled as well). 

How fitting.

#39 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 17:26

I think they will just cancel it. Some crazy videos on live leak of China shutting things down big time. Factories even being shut down til mid feb in some areas.

Don't see it going ahead.

Advertisement

#40 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 1,515 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 17:28

Quarantines are normal during outbreaks (No explanation needed).

Full rescue-squads? Thats a bit sensationalist. Sending a "medevac" is also normal. 

As for death-rates: the current death-rate is far below that of SARS. Only casualties so-far have been the old and sickly.

The race is in mid/late April. All will be fine by then (Or, if not; we all ded).

#41 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 17:28

It is the media story of the week. A few years ago, it was the ebola virus that was going to sweep the world. There is a current ebola outbreak in Congo, but no-one is even mentioning it anymore.

I agree, but ebola is not airborne. This is a lot more contagious. However, being a fit and healthy 37 year old I'm not too worried for myself lol.

#42 pdac

pdac

• 17,239 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 17:48

There'll always be thoses who revel in saying "see? nothing happened!" while blindly ignoring the vast amounts of money and effort that went into mitigating it

Ah, such a shame.

#43 pdac

pdac

• 17,239 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 17:49

It's because the bush fires in Australia seem to have become less of a threat to the GP there.

#44 BRG

BRG

• 25,943 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 18:16

It's because the bush fires in Australia seem to have become less of a threat to the GP there.

Bush fires? What bush fires?  Nothing in my paper about bush fires.  Today it is corona virus.  Yesterday it was Prince Andrew.  The day before it was Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.  Friday, it will be Brexit. 

The Chinese will decide whether to axe the GP and F1 will just have to play along.  If they cancel it, so be it, if the Chinese say it is going ahead, F1 will have to race, perhaps all wearing face masks.  

#45 SagemX

SagemX

• 1,266 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 19:30

The World Indoor Athletics championships have been postponed for a year, so there's a chance it could happen to the F1 too

#46 Cliff

Cliff

• 2,086 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:20

Bush fires? What bush fires? Nothing in my paper about bush fires. Today it is corona virus. Yesterday it was Prince Andrew. The day before it was Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. Friday, it will be Brexit.

I think Its time for a new newspaper..

#47 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 2,907 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:39

It should've been cancelled already years ago (due to the human rights situation).

On the other hand, by April the coronavirus has spread to every country, so we just have to accept the situation. It's more likely you will be dead from common influenza anyway.

#48 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:19

It should've been cancelled already years ago (due to the human rights situation).
On the other hand, by April the coronavirus has spread to every country, so we just have to accept the situation. It's more likely you will be dead from common influenza anyway.

Then even the Japanese GP should be canned for the way their justice system works

Edited by RA2, 30 January 2020 - 02:20.

#49 Reddington

Reddington

• 955 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 05:36

I live in Hong Kong and work in China. I can tell you that the western press hasn’t even scratched the surface. Shops are empty, no bread, veg, no masks available, even the HK government (only 10 confirmed cases so far) asking all employers to grand their employees to work from home, asking people to self quarantine, Governmental employees are off work, public transport to China shut down, factories in China will all remain closed at least 2 more weeks, flights are cancelled or partly canceled, streets are very quiet.

Sure, people love drama and will sometimes exaggerate the danger, but this is no Zika or so, this is an airborne virus that can be transmitted from human to human contact and where people are actually dying. Completely different matter. The virus might also mutate therefore and become even more dangerous.
Even when reports are that the virus has been singled out, animal testing will take months and human testing is at least a year away.

Yes, it can blow over, they might get it under control, but government just can’t take risks in case it would get worse. Can you imagine what the backlash would be if they shrugged it off and things would get worse? All of us, including the blasé people here, would scream murder.

So far the virus is spreading and until it gets under control the GP will be at risk and rightly so. Even when, hopefully, in the near future it will have blown over.

#50 Beri

Beri

• 11,636 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:22

I live in Hong Kong and work in China. I can tell you that the western press hasn’t even scratched the surface. Shops are empty, no bread, veg, no masks available, even the HK government (only 10 confirmed cases so far) asking all employers to grand their employees to work from home, asking people to self quarantine, Governmental employees are off work, public transport to China shut down, factories in China will all remain closed at least 2 more weeks, flights are cancelled or partly canceled, streets are very quiet.

Sure, people love drama and will sometimes exaggerate the danger, but this is no Zika or so, this is an airborne virus that can be transmitted from human to human contact and where people are actually dying. Completely different matter. The virus might also mutate therefore and become even more dangerous.
Even when reports are that the virus has been singled out, animal testing will take months and human testing is at least a year away.

Yes, it can blow over, they might get it under control, but government just can’t take risks in case it would get worse. Can you imagine what the backlash would be if they shrugged it off and things would get worse? All of us, including the blasé people here, would scream murder.

So far the virus is spreading and until it gets under control the GP will be at risk and rightly so. Even when, hopefully, in the near future it will have blown over.

The most fitting reply thus far. Thanks for the insight.
Good luck in HK! Hope it will be all back to normal soon for you.