• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 15:47

F1 2020 has been announced: https://www.autospor...management-mode

New features will be the ability to manage and drive for an 11th team. You'll also be able to run shorter seasons of 10 or 16 races in career mode. You'll be able to choose races in the shorter ones.

Hanoi and Zandvoort will be included.

A selection of Michael Schumacher's cars will be extra content for the deluxe edition: The Jordan 191, Benetton B194 and B195 and the Ferrari F1-2000.

The F2 content will remain.

The game is set for a July relase.

Advertisement

#2 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 15:55

Call me cynical but I find it amusing that they drip feed us F1 fans on little new bits each year, rather than doing one kickarse game that has everything we want. The "bleed them dry" approach, not the "Geoff Crammond" approach.

No doubt the game is another £45 and the MS edition is £60.. :rolleyes:

Edited by BuddyHolly, 15 April 2020 - 15:55.

#3 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 17:24

To be honest I’d far rather it came out accurate in November than in the summer before the season has even got underway.

They can have no idea about the competitive order of the cars or what the actual calendar will end up being.

#4 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 17:41

You'll also be able to run shorter seasons of 10 or 16 races in career mode.

Who could have known that this would be the most realistic element of the 2020 edition of the game?

#5 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 18:49

Codemasters releasing the game before the season starts. Now that's something I never expected to happen.

#6 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,972 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 20:52

Call me cynical but I find it amusing that they drip feed us F1 fans on little new bits each year, rather than doing one kickarse game that has everything we want. The "bleed them dry" approach, not the "Geoff Crammond" approach.

It's the way all games are now. Add some features, remove some. Then add back the removed ones a few years later as "new" features. 

That's how it is when games are made as franchises, or when all sport-games have exclusive licenses. Back in the days of Geoff Crammond there was a lot of F1 games. From 1995 with Grand Prix Manager, until F1 2003 when Sony got the exclusive license for F1. There was 48 F1 games. 6 games a year on average (though, 5 of these 48 games were manager-games). There was 4 games with a license for the 95 season and three for 96. And 5 licensed games for the 2001 season. With the exception of Image Space Incorporated's Xbox version of their game, which was the only Xbox F1-game, all the others competed against at least one other licensed gamed. This meant you couldn't just add and remove features, as it would be a good chance that the other developer(s) made a much better game, and that would have an impact on sales.

You can see this one every other game that shows a sport-season as well. MotoGP, WRC, NASCAR, Football, Basketball etc. If you look at game-franchises it's the same there as well, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Sims, Ubisofts entire game-catalog etc.

Edited by Myrvold, 15 April 2020 - 20:53.

#7 pRy

pRy

• 26,320 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 21:48

They're asking for £54.99. I was about to make a joke about them wearing masks but that might be somewhat inappropriate at this time.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against yearly titles. But the issue is their 2020 product will be missing its core 2020 component: the 2020 cars. So all we're getting that's different from 2019 is two new tracks and a team manager mode. 

What they perhaps should have done was kept back the team manager mode for 2021 and given everyone the two new tracks as either a DLC or a patch. 

#8 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 22:03

They're asking for £54.99. I was about to make a joke about them wearing masks but that might be somewhat inappropriate at this time.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against yearly titles. But the issue is their 2020 product will be missing its core 2020 component: the 2020 cars. So all we're getting that's different from 2019 is two new tracks and a team manager mode. 

What they perhaps should have done was kept back the team manager mode for 2021 and given everyone the two new tracks as either a DLC or a patch. 

Where do you get that idea from? The 2020 cars are of course going to be the core content of the game.

https://www.formula1...grid-in-f1-2020

As for the price, games are expensive. But I always look at it like this. A 1:43 scale model of a single F1 car is gusting £90, and all that does is sit on a shelf and look pretty.

#9 pRy

pRy

• 26,320 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 22:26

Where do you get that idea from? The 2020 cars are of course going to be the core content of the game.

https://www.formula1...grid-in-f1-2020

As for the price, games are expensive. But I always look at it like this. A 1:43 scale model of a single F1 car is gusting £90, and all that does is sit on a shelf and look pretty.

I always thought that we only got to see the final cars once they arrived at Friday Free Practice in Melbourne. Everything up until that point was launch cars and testing cars. But perhaps the testing cars are as close to Melbourne as they were likely to get.

However looking at the Mercedes I'm not even sure it's the 2020 testing car. 

https://assets-eu-01...rcedes_16x9.jpg

https://cdn1.formula...995-768x512.jpg

Note the shark fin and how deep it cuts into the 44 in the testing shot compared to their render. And the rear wing. Perhaps I'm being overly picky. 

Edited by pRy, 15 April 2020 - 22:26.

#10 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 22:39

Yeah it does look like the Mercedes car model is a bit different. However, Codemasters also always update their car roster to reflect the season as it progresses, and those updates are automatically applied to the game. They did that most noticeably with 2017 when a lot of the teams changed their liveries to meet the number rules, and they did it last year with the Haas Rich Energy logos and swapping Albon and Gasly.

#11 cjm321190

cjm321190

• 1,188 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 06:39

I think they should go for a modern game engine. We could have a library of cars and seasons for download. Classic tracks is now a must. Imola, turkey, Valencia, India, south korea, estoril, south africa etc.

#12 pRy

pRy

• 26,320 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 07:27

Yeah it does look like the Mercedes car model is a bit different. However, Codemasters also always update their car roster to reflect the season as it progresses, and those updates are automatically applied to the game. They did that most noticeably with 2017 when a lot of the teams changed their liveries to meet the number rules, and they did it last year with the Haas Rich Energy logos and swapping Albon and Gasly.

True but that relies on the 2020 season restarting which is far from certain. The Ferrari isn't right either. But I'll stop nitpicking. 

#13 balage06

balage06

• 3,108 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:18

Hmm, I think I'll pass this time. Automobilista 2 has an excellent roster of unlicenced F1 cars from every era, drives great and works like a charm in VR. The career mode of the official game is unmatched, but looks like I won't have too much freetime in the upcoming months anyway...

#14 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:06

I think they should go for a modern game engine. We could have a library of cars and seasons for download. Classic tracks is now a must. Imola, turkey, Valencia, India, south korea, estoril, south africa etc.

My absolute dream F1 game series -

F1 ‘70s (1970-1979 seasons, cars and tracks)
F1 ‘80s (1980-1989 seasons etc)
F1 ‘90s
F1 ‘00s

I would buy all four and my wife would never see me again.

Codemasters has the 2010s covered. I played F1 2012 yesterday for nostalgia’s sake and was surprised how little it’s actually aged. Sure, the modern games look smoother but it’s still perfectly presentable. There’s definitely a much, much smaller difference between the games of now and the games of a decade ago to the difference between 2012 and 2002. I can’t play anything from on the PS1/PS2 era these days, they just look a dog’s dinner and the handling models are so primitive.

Edited by messy, 16 April 2020 - 09:10.

#15 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,512 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:12

I'm afraid the addition of a Michael Schumacher edition gives me no choice but to buy the game, even if I don't really drive the codemasters games much. More into sims. 

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:43

The steam (and also Xbox store. I'd imagine PS4 one is the same) store gives a couple of details.

https://store.steamp...080110/F1_2020/

o NEW MYTEAM MODE - An immersive driving game, players can now create their own F1® team.

* Create a driver, then choose a sponsor, an engine supplier, hire a teammate and compete as the 11th team on the grid.

* Build facilities and develop the team over time and drive to the top.

o NEW - Two new races: Hanoi Circuit and Circuit Zandvoort. NEW - Split-screen racing.

o NEW - Casual race options for more relaxed racing.

o NEW - Shorter season-length options: 10, 16 or full 22 race options.

o All the official teams, the drivers and circuits from the 2020 Formula One World Championship™.

o Acclaimed ten-year career mode.

o Formula 2™, the ultimate training ground for F1®, is also included, now with new half or full season options and 2019 and 2020* season content.

o x16 classic F1® cars from 1988-2010.

o Esports - in-game area for the online qualification events, latest news and even watch the new F1® Esports Challenger and Pro Series races.

o More ways to race: Time Trial, Grand Prix™ Mode, Championships and relive your glory with saveable automated highlights.

o Compete online in Multiplayer: Ranked and Unranked races, Leagues, Customisable Liveries and Weekly Events.

*Online connection required to download the final teams’ 2020 cars (as applicable) and the F2™ 2020 season content post-launch.

Looks like the 1970s cars are gone. Not a massive shame for me as I wasn't too fond of them. Still, all the classic cars have been relatively under-utilised compared to F1 2013 which had actual classic circuits and suitable drivers in them.

Confirmation that the 2020 cars will get updated, as well as the 2020 F2 content.

#17 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:46

F1 ‘90s
F1 ‘00s

Codemasters has the 2010s covered. I played F1 2012 yesterday for nostalgia’s sake and was surprised how little it’s actually aged. Sure, the modern games look smoother but it’s still perfectly presentable. There’s definitely a much, much smaller difference between the games of now and the games of a decade ago to the difference between 2012 and 2002. I can’t play anything from on the PS1/PS2 era these days, they just look a dog’s dinner and the handling models are so primitive.

I've got two dream F1 games in my head.

One is one with a season from every decade. I once worked out that each year ending in 7 would provide a fantastic snapshot of each decade.

The other is a 12 year career mode game, running from 1986 to 1997 inclusive.

#18 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 12:58

Just wait 2-3 weeks and it will be half price anyway. Was the same last year

#19 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 20:24

Early look at the game courtesy of Jimmer "Punted by Lando" Broadbent.

TLDR: Refinement on the previous games. Don't expect it to suddenly be iRacing, but it's the steady improvement of the franchise keeping it accessible.

Advertisement

#20 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,859 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:06

F1 ‘90s
F1 ‘00s

I can tell you that there's a 1991 mod for rFactor that my wife seriously complained about. It is the best, most realistic, gratifying, F1-sim ever... all built by volunteers. I myself stopped playing video games because it takes too much time... but if you want to ruin your life and your marriage, give it a whirl.

https://rfactorcentr...istoric Edition

#21 Prometheus

Prometheus

• 22 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 13:22

No doubt the game is another £45 and the MS edition is £60.. :rolleyes:

Try CDkeys

#22 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,875 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 16:27

I got a Beta invite for F12020 - will post my thoughts once I’ve had a play about

#23 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 17:33

I got a Beta invite for F12020 - will post my thoughts once I’ve had a play about

Cool. Please do.

#24 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 969 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 09:51

o NEW - Shorter season-length options: 10, 16 or full 22 race options.

Wish there's an option to change point scoring system too. Be it 6 point scoring positions or 8 point scoring positions instead of the current system.

#25 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,875 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 20:10

Spent an hour or so on 2020

Now I love F1 racing, but no space for a wheel setup, so I’m pretty nifty with the pad... I have to say; pad users will love the 2020 handling model. So much easier to be smooth and attack the corners and kerbs - I was playing F1 2019 a couple night back and I found the thumb stick just doesn’t allow for a smooth racing line. That’s definitely been addressed. And the auto-drs and ers is another godsend for pad users.

Loving it so far - very good.

#26 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 20:27

That's good to hear FnLn.

#27 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,972 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 22:05

Spent an hour or so on 2020

Now I love F1 racing, but no space for a wheel setup, so I’m pretty nifty with the pad... I have to say; pad users will love the 2020 handling model. So much easier to be smooth and attack the corners and kerbs - I was playing F1 2019 a couple night back and I found the thumb stick just doesn’t allow for a smooth racing line. That’s definitely been addressed. And the auto-drs and ers is another godsend for pad users.

Loving it so far - very good.

Not sure how much one can say outside the Codies forums? Cannot find the NDA now :drunk:

#28 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:11

Just me who’s still not massively interested in F1 2020?

No doubt it’ll be a good game, but it doesn’t represent a ‘real’ season yet and I’m probably gonna wait till it gets patched to actually reflect reality. I think I’m a bit autistic about this stuff.

#29 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:00

I've decided to go for it.

If it's anything like all the others you'll be able to make a season with the right races in it anyway. Personally I'm looking forward to the My Team aspect and being able to have shorter seasons in career mode, with calendars that vary year to year. Even in F1 2019 with the driver swaps I got bored of playing the same season by the time I got to the third time through.

#30 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:36

Just me who’s still not massively interested in F1 2020?

No doubt it’ll be a good game, but it doesn’t represent a ‘real’ season yet and I’m probably gonna wait till it gets patched to actually reflect reality. I think I’m a bit autistic about this stuff.

I really doubt it's going to be patched to reflect the "real" 2020 season. Maybe some tweaks performance wise but certainly not ciruits added or removed

#31 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 13:50

I really doubt it's going to be patched to reflect the "real" 2020 season. Maybe some tweaks performance wise but certainly not ciruits added or removed

I don't think they'll remove content, but Codemasters have a good record of updating their games to reflect reality. Could be interesting if we get some out of nowhere circuits which would take a while for them to model but otherwise I'd imagine they'll do a fairly good job. For 2019 all the liveries were updated, and Gasly and Albon were swapped. The pit lane at Paul Ricard was also updated.

#32 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 16:19

New features will be the ability to manage and drive for an 11th team. You'll also be able to run shorter seasons of 10 or 16 races in career mode. You'll be able to choose races in the shorter ones.

Hell yeah, finally career mode without Monaco !!! I hate driving that track :( I never finished that GP once unless I turn off all damage and that's boring

What I hope is that they bring back auto breaking as strong and good as in F1 2012. I always struggled with the games past that. I am mostly playing F1 games to relaxx and listen to music, I don't want to learn to be a perfect driver, so what I hope for is being able to play and do okay on a lower difficulty setting without needing to learn how to break right first.

Edited by Sin, 05 June 2020 - 16:21.

#33 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 12:45

They really have FIFA esque ratings. I-

https://www.formula1...O9aRORmaKf.html

#34 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 12:57

Stroll 83 pace, Gasly 80? Haha. Oh dear.

#35 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 15:27

They need a separate ranked lobby for no driving assists with cross platform play. I got no interest in investing any time when I feel like I’m at a disadvantage, just because I want to keep it authentic.

Edited by MikeV1987, 11 June 2020 - 15:31.

#36 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 17:48

That Benetton B195 looks like fun.

#37 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,972 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 00:51

They really have FIFA esque ratings. I-

https://www.formula1...O9aRORmaKf.html

As I said in the Racing Comment thread (in case someone doesn't read that one) - it's for the MyTeam in the game, with signing drivers etc. you kinda should know how good those drivers are.

#38 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 21:50

A My Team trailer https://www.formula1...CO7wuk11Fp.html

#39 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:40

Got up a little early this morning so that I could have time to try this before work. 

Last Codemasters F1 game I played "seriously" was probably 2014 or 2015. I do have 2018 on Steam since it was on sale once, but only played it a handful of times. 2020 is the best feeling Codemasters F1 game I've played to date, and I could probably see me enjoying this one as much as the old Psygnosis games on the original Playstation. The overall overall car handling is noticeably better than how I remember it feeling in the past games though braking has caught me off guard a bit so far, especially with the last corner at Melbourne.

I'm having fun with My Team so far, I decided to bring back Arrows. Recruited Tatiana Calderon as my teammate and made my driver in My Team female so that the grid could have two ladies on it for a change. I would have finished in the points in Australia, but I bungled the safety car laps pretty bad after Magnussen had an accident somewhere. Had Sainz running in front of me and gently tapped the back of his car twice while the safety car was out. Oh boy, did I ever get penalized some hard for that. First time I've ever run behind a safety car in an F1 game since F1 '99,  and I haven't "seriously" played an F1 game in ages, so running behind the safety car definitely takes some getting used to for me.

Edited by UPRC, 07 July 2020 - 10:58.

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 11:18

I’m looking forward to having a go tomorrow.

#41 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 13:30

I’ll get this at some point, and like the sound of the handling improvements etc - but I’m prepared to wait for the ‘proper’ 2020 season to be updated not to mention the 2020 F2 grid. It might not be so horrifically expensive then, too. The Schumacher classic cars look great particularly the Benettons but I’m a couple of years behind on F1 games - I’m still working through 2018 and haven’t spent any time with 2019 (aside from the F2 which I’ve done a lot of) yet, let alone the new one.

#42 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 13:36

I think I read that Codemasters said they'll patch the game with performance updates so that the teams in the game are more in line with their performances over the actual 2020 season. If you have a career in progress when these performance updates roll out, you'll be allowed to opt out of applying these updates to your active career save file. The performance updates will still go into affect outside of the save files you decide to opt out on, so that sounds pretty neat.

Also read that the 2019 F2 grid is staying put so that players can accurately pick from the real 2019 F2 grid when starting their team in My Team, but there are plans to add the 2020 F2 grid at a later date.

Overall, it sounds like Codemasters intends on giving the game some decent support. Here's hoping they also decide to add whatever substitute races make it onto the real 2020 calendar, such as Algarve and Mugello.

Edited by UPRC, 07 July 2020 - 13:37.

#43 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 13:41

They did the same last year didn’t they - starting with the 2018 season only then adding the up to date season a couple of months on. It’s good - I like that it develops and updates to go along with real life, but means increasingly I’m avoiding buying unfinished games on release day. The 2020 season racing games are coming out more unfinished than most too, understandably.

#44 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 13:43

True. I view it as a necessary evil when buying games that are based on real world competitions. The number of times I need to download roster updates in EA's NHL games makes my head spin at times.

Edited by UPRC, 07 July 2020 - 13:44.

#45 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 14:51

Any bets on when the game will be 50% off on some platform?  ;)

My bet is on end of September

#46 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,972 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 17:05

I think I read that Codemasters said they'll patch the game with performance updates so that the teams in the game are more in line with their performances over the actual 2020 season. If you have a career in progress when these performance updates roll out, you'll be allowed to opt out of applying these updates to your active career save file. The performance updates will still go into affect outside of the save files you decide to opt out on, so that sounds pretty neat.

Also read that the 2019 F2 grid is staying put so that players can accurately pick from the real 2019 F2 grid when starting their team in My Team, but there are plans to add the 2020 F2 grid at a later date.

Overall, it sounds like Codemasters intends on giving the game some decent support. Here's hoping they also decide to add whatever substitute races make it onto the real 2020 calendar, such as Algarve and Mugello.

This is true. It already happened pre-release that there was a news mail in the game that said performance had been updated, and there was a button to apply that to existing savefiles.

That might be a reason, but the main reason for F2 2019 to be in the game, just like F2 2018 was in the last game is the career mode. Now you can choose to do a full F2 season, and the results based on that season dictates what teams offer you a contract for the first F1 season.

As the F1 bit is starting in 2020, it would mean that is 2019 you are doing the F2 championship. Which is why F2 2019 is in the game from the start.

The 2020 season in F2 doesn't do antything other than add another season to do in the "championship" mode, and will add some more drivers to the MyTeam.

They have said they will not add any new tracks. Apparently it takes approx a year to make tracks.

Personally I regret choosing a 22 race season when I started my MyTeam career. Should've gone with 16!

#47 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 17:26

This is true. It already happened pre-release that there was a news mail in the game that said performance had been updated, and there was a button to apply that to existing savefiles.

That might be a reason, but the main reason for F2 2019 to be in the game, just like F2 2018 was in the last game is the career mode. Now you can choose to do a full F2 season, and the results based on that season dictates what teams offer you a contract for the first F1 season.

As the F1 bit is starting in 2020, it would mean that is 2019 you are doing the F2 championship. Which is why F2 2019 is in the game from the start.

The 2020 season in F2 doesn't do antything other than add another season to do in the "championship" mode, and will add some more drivers to the MyTeam.

They have said they will not add any new tracks. Apparently it takes approx a year to make tracks.

Personally I regret choosing a 22 race season when I started my MyTeam career. Should've gone with 16!

That's too bad that they're not interested in adding additional tracks since it would be a nice bonus for this year. And oof, I knew 22 races would be too much for my first season. I picked 16 since I've always felt that it's the optimum number of races. Not too few, not too many.

Looking forward to throwing my Arrows around Hanoi today after work. I've never watched any videos of the track, game or real life, so I'm going into that race completely blind. Also want to play with the photo mode since I've seen some folks on Reddit taking some really stunning shots. 

#48 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,300 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 18:21

Had a little play about this afternoon. First impressions are good.

I play with a controller and I find the handling to be a slight but noticeable improvement over last year. Where I feel they've really got things right are in some of the little details. Having an overtake button rather have having to flick through the menu is pretty good, and having a virtual mirror is a great thing too as the mirrors are too far apart for a normal screen.

Just getting started in My Team. I've gone for 10 race seasons. Last couple of games I've only got to season 3 so at least this way I might get a few more seasons in. Was hoping to be able to choose which races I'd get, but at least Hanoi and Zandvoort are included in season 1. I quite like the way the development structure from the existing career mode is integrated into the team management side of things. I'm looking forward to how it will work as I play through.

As for Hanoi and Zandvoort, it's great to have a couple of new tracks to learn. I'm enjoying Zandvoort for the few laps I've done. Feels good. Hanoi is a bit more frustrating. Going to take a lot more learning. First two complexes are very hard to read the line for and the back section all looks very similar.

Interesting to see what's been cut from the game. The 70s classic cars aren't there, which doesn't bother me that much as they were my least favourites. The number of single player championships and special events are massively reduced too. I feel like they've closed in on what they want the game to be, in a good way.

Lastly I had a quick go on the Schumacher cars. They're fun, and I like how you get the option to drive in his helmet and overalls rather than your own character's which adds some authenticity.

#49 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 11:20

I'm definitely having a lot of fun customizing my team so far. Here's what my Arrows Grand Prix team currently looks like (though this is slightly outdated since I have four sponsors now instead of just one). 

i7aoinoqdt951.png

I like to imagine that Michael made a miraculous recovery and return to F1 at the age of 51 somehow, even though it defies all logic. So far I've been getting into Q2 pretty easily while Tatiana's been able to just get past the two Williams cars. Trying to invest my team's finances into developing her whenever I have the ability to do so. I assume you're probably able to take any F2 driver and turn them into a decent F1 driver with enough time and patience, so I'm going to try to stick with Tatiana for the long haul unless my efforts eventually prove to be fruitless.

I love the fact that you can edit your driver whenever you want in My Team as well. I'll probably "retire" Schumacher at the end of my first season with Arrows. I wanted to have him at the start for novelty/sentimental reasons, but changing up who my created driver is in between seasons is a great way to simulate additional driver movement in the off-season.

Edited by UPRC, 09 July 2020 - 16:43.

#50 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 20:23

As usual after doing the whole ‘too expensive, I’m not buying it yet’ crap I bought it, and the Schumacher edition no less. Finally got to playing it this afternoon as it took hours to download yesterday then this morning there was a whopping 16gb update which took another couple of hours with my rubbish connection speed....

I’m impressed, it’s not massively different to F1 2019 bit I personally thought 2019 was great so it’s fine by me. I like that you can now do a full F2 season in career, I reckon that’ll be my starting point. I’m not really bothered about MyTeam. The classic cars, I think are a great improvement this year. The new ones especially, they feel fantastic don’t they? I spent ages lapping Spa in the 1995 Benetton, and it felt so satisfying. The original, 1995 season F1 by Psygnosis was the first F1 game I ever tried, and that Benetton the first F1 car I ever drove in it. So that car, it’s kinda my car zero. And finally being able to drive it properly, my ten year old self trying the F1 demo on the PlayStation at the Nurburgring.....my eyes would have popped out, I’d have been doing backflips if I knew that I’d be playing a game like this 25 years on.

As it is, the 35 year old me is fairly impressed with it.