- - - - -

Ferrari signs Sainz

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#1 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,863 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:43

Ferrari confirm the signing of Carlos Sainz from Mclaren on a 2 year deal.

https://www.autospor...tel-replacement

Maranello 14 May 2020

Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow is pleased to announce that Carlos Sainz will drive for the team in the 2021 and 2022 seasons of the Formula 1 World Championship.

Mattia Binotto, Managing Director Gestione Sportiva and Team Principal

"I’m pleased to announce that Carlos will join Scuderia Ferrari as from the 2021 championship. With five seasons already behind him, Carlos has proved to be very talented and has shown that he has the technical ability and the right attributes to make him an ideal fit with our family.

“We’ve embarked on a new cycle with the aim of getting back to the top in Formula 1. It will be a long journey, not without its difficulties, especially given the current financial and regulatory situation, which is undergoing a sudden change and will require this challenge to be tackled in a different way to the recent past.

We believe that a driver pairing with the talent and personality of Charles and Carlos, the youngest in the past fifty years of the Scuderia, will be the best possible combination to help us reach the goals we have set ourselves".

Carlos Sainz #55

"I am very happy that I will be driving for Scuderia Ferrari in 2021 and I'm excited about my future with the team. I still have an important year ahead with McLaren Racing and I’m really looking forward to going racing again with them this season."

Born in Madrid on 1st September 1994, Carlos already has plenty of Formula 1 experience, having taken part in 102 World Championship Grands Prix, over five seasons. In 2019, he finished sixth in the Drivers’ Championship, his best ever result, in a year when he also made it to a podium position for the first time, finishing third in Brazil.

Thoughts?

Personally, the must underwhelming, boring of signing in Ferrari's recent memory. Gutted! 

Wish him all the best, though.

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 14 May 2020 - 09:49.

Advertisement

#2 baddog

baddog

• 29,768 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:44

He is a great potential hire. We will all learn much. Mainly if he can handle the politics and pressure.

If you think he is somehow a boring journeyman then maybe you havent been paying attention to the races behind the leaders.

#3 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:45

Ferrari confirm the signing of Carlos Sainz from Mclaren on a 2 year deal.

https://www.autospor...tel-replacement

Thoughts?

Personally, the must underwhelming, boring of signing in Ferrari's recent memory. Gutted!

Agreed. Clearly a number 1/2 driver policy going on and that's underwhelming. Still well done to Sainz, it's a dream move.

#4 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,555 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:46

Yeah! I'm excited about this. I think he'll do well.

#5 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:46

I find this extremely underwhelming. I hope Sainz is better than I think he is.

#6 CL16

CL16

• 1,302 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:47

I think we’ll all be pleasantly surprised at how much more of a Ferrari fight we’ll get next season.

#7 KavB

KavB

• 1,593 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:47

I enjoy seeing fresh faces at the front of the grid but I remain to be convinced whether this is a good move for Ferrari when better options were available.

I can see Ferrari beating Red Bull with this line up, but I can't see them beating Hamilton/Bottas to a constructors championship.

#8 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:48

I find this one quite interesting.  I think Sainz is still a relatively unknown quantity overall.  He hasn't set the world alight for me but in all fairness he's rarely had the equipment to do much.  I think he has the potential to rattle Leclerc's feathers on occasion and I'm curious to see by how much.

#9 BCM

BCM

• 1,965 posts

I predict fireworks.

#10 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

I'm not sure if he will surprise people but the moaning about this signing in the last few days was so utterly out of order that I hope he will.

#11 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:49

I enjoy seeing fresh faces at the front of the grid but I remain to be convinced whether this is a good move for Ferrari when better options were available.

I can see Ferrari beating Red Bull with this line up, but I can't see them beating Hamilton/Bottas to a constructors championship.

So, just like Vettel and Leclerc then? But then cheaper. And more future proof.

#12 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,292 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:51

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I don't have a strong feeling either way about how Sainz will do, but I look forward to finding out.

#13 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,399 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:55

Good luck to Carlos, a great opportunity for him.

However... meh.

#14 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:00

Agreed. Clearly a number 1/2 driver policy going on and that's underwhelming. Still well done to Sainz, it's a dream move.

Judging by several messages its clear that you dont rate sainz at all and you see him as a lapdog for Leclerc.... But please, just wait and see. He has not signed to be a number 2. He is not a Barrichello

#15 KavB

KavB

• 1,593 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:01

So, just like Vettel and Leclerc then? But then cheaper. And more future proof.

If Leclerc truly is the real deal and was in the 2018 Ferrari, then yes I think they would have won the constructors championship even with Vettel's mistakes that year and even if Leclerc did not win the drivers championship himself. 

Vettel and Ricciardo still have another 5 to 7 years in the sport so I don't see how signing Sainz is any more future proof than those two. How many teams actually stick with the same driver for longer than that except for world champions?  

#16 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,863 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:03

Judging by several messages its clear that you dont rate sainz at all and you see him as a lapdog for Leclerc.... But please, just wait and see. He has not signed to be a number 2. He is not a Barrichello

From what I’ve seen, you’re right. He’s worse.

#17 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,554 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:06

Sainz is a solid driver, but anyone believing he'll be any more than a lapdog to Leclerc is naive...

#18 dissident

dissident

• 1,620 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:06

I think this is a good move, probably a lot cheaper than Ricciardo too.

#19 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:07

From what I’ve seen, you’re right. He’s worse.

Nope, Barrichello was the genuine lapdog driver, that accepted being a number 2 for MS..., Carlos on the other hand doesnt, and he aims to get better and better each day and beat anyone. With this attitude difference alone, I'd say Carlos is better than Rubens ever was.

Carlos reminds me of Rosberg, who with insanely hard work and a bit of luck he beat Lewis and became champion, even though he ultimately wasn't as talented.

Edited by NixxxoN, 14 May 2020 - 10:09.

Advertisement

#20 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:08

How do you know? I mean, I don't know either lets be frank. But what we do know is this - the best available driver in Ricciardo wasn't considered. If you're genuinely running an equal drivers policy, don't you go for best available?

I'd also question why Vettel didn't stay. Offered 1 year on same cash as Charles, is that enough to make him want to walk? Or did he walk because he knew Charles was to be the #1 moving forward?

I don't mind Sainz at all. Totally vanilla about it tbh. But lets stop pretending he was hired because he's the best option available, Ferrari are well known to enjoy a number 1/2 policy. As does Mercedes and Red Bull incidentally.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 14 May 2020 - 10:09.

#21 jannyg

jannyg

• 2,044 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:10

Good luck Sainz, he has deserved a role at a top team for a few seasons as he has impressed in midfield and done his groundwork.

Leclerc is a star though and continues to improve and I see him winning this battle well.

#22 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:12

Many of you underestimate Carlos.

Great move from both parties.

#23 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:13

How do you know? I mean, I don't know either lets be frank. But what we do know is this - the best available driver in Ricciardo wasn't considered. If you're genuinely running an equal drivers policy, don't you go for best available?

I'd also question why Vettel didn't stay. Offered 1 year on same cash as Charles, is that enough to make him want to walk? Or did he walk because he knew Charles was to be the #1 moving forward?

I don't mind Sainz at all. Totally vanilla about it tbh. But lets stop pretending he was hired because he's the best option available, Ferrari are well known to enjoy a number 1/2 policy. As does Mercedes and Red Bull incidentally.

Ric is going to be 31 in 2021, Sainz is 5 years younger with more room for improvement. And cheaper. And more hungry and ambitious probably too.

Ric may be a bit better but he considers himself an "established superstar" even though he has never been champion and has won just a bunch of races.

Vettel is an even more of "established superstar" than Ric, and would have not accepted a massive paycut.

Edited by NixxxoN, 14 May 2020 - 10:14.

#24 Hellow

Hellow

• 75 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:14

Not excited at this move by Ferrari at all - don't remember when Ferrari had such an underwhelming lineup before (maybe 1994). But I wish good luck for Ferrari maybe they will surprise with this lineup.  :)  

#25 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,814 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:15

It sometimes feels like Sainz has risen without trace but post 2015 that could probably apply to any driver, Verstappen excepted, who hasn't raced for Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull.

He's got a lot of work to do but I have no idea how this will go!

#26 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:15

Ric is going to be 31 in 2021, Sainz is 5 years younger. And cheaper. And more hungry and ambitious probably too.
Ric may be a bit better but he considers himself an "established superstar" even though he has never been champion and has won just a bunch of races.
Vettel is an even more of "established superstar" than Ric, and would have not accepted a massive paycut.

I think you're reaching for justification why Sainz was signed by throwing age and money reasons out there. I don't think the paycut had anything to do with Vettel walking... in time I'm sure we'll find out. In the meantime, best of luck to Carlos. Time will tell what Ferrari want from him and what he can give them.

#27 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:17

I think you're reaching for justification why Sainz was signed by throwing age and money reasons out there. I don't think the paycut had anything to do with Vettel walking... in time I'm sure we'll find out. In the meantime, best of luck to Carlos. Time will tell what Ferrari want from him and what he can give them.

According to spansih reports, the offer Ferrari made to Vettel was so ridicluously low compared to what he used to earn, like an invitation for him to leave the team. Vettel would probably have agreed to be stripped out of number 1 status but maintaining the very high salary, but not lose both

Edited by NixxxoN, 14 May 2020 - 10:20.

#28 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:18

Not excited at this move by Ferrari at all - don't remember when Ferrari had such an underwhelming lineup before (maybe 1994). But I wish good luck for Ferrari maybe they will surprise with this lineup. :)

For myself, their most underwhelming line up was Alesi/Capelli in 1992. There is a bit of similar feeling with this, though I rate Leclerc alot higher than I ever did Alesi.

#29 balaclava

balaclava

• 378 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:18

People hating on Sainz because of wrong passport. If he had an anglo or german surname, people would find the signing at the very least logical after his performance last season.

The reality is that Sainz has upside. He's been progressing at a signficiant rate, and we may yet to find out if he still has room to become even better, or stay at his current level. If he improves qualy speed, he could give Leclerc a scare, since his racecraft is already remarkable, but not enough to overcome a bad qualifying performance...

Edited by balaclava, 14 May 2020 - 10:20.

#30 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 1,714 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:19

Another Barichello for cheap - this time for Leclerc and it's so obvious it hurts. But Ferrari needed this if you look at Merc & Red Bull.

#31 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:21

According to spansih reports, the offer Ferrari made to Vettel was so ridicluously low compared to what he used to earn, like an invitation for him to leave the team. Vettel would probably have agreed to be stripped out of number 1 status but maintaining the very high salary, but then, that was just too bad for him

Don't buy that. It wasn't peanuts with performance bonuses, yet it was a substantial drop from an astronomical salary he'd been on for years. There is more to it. Vettel and Leclerc ended up on equal terms during 2019, so something changed within the negotiations moving forward.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 14 May 2020 - 10:25.

#32 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:22

Good luck taking on Mercedes/Hamilton and Red Bull/Verstappen with this line-up.

#33 Casey

Casey

• 2,476 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:22

Great for Carlos, I expect him to be a lot closer in speed to Charles then some people seem to think .

#34 P123

P123

• 23,964 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:23

Happy for Sainz.  Don't think he will have enough to beat Leclerc over a full season, but good enough to win races if the car allows, and that is exactly what Ferrari is after.

And the TV cameras won't ignore him now ;)

Edited by P123, 14 May 2020 - 10:25.

#35 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,181 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:25

People hating on Sainz because of wrong passport. If he had an anglo or german surname, people would find the signing at the very least logical after his performance last season.

The reality is that Sainz has upside. He's been progressing at a signficiant rate, and we may yet to find out if he still has room to become even better, or stay at his current level. If he improves qualy speed, he could give Leclerc a scare, since his racecraft is already remarkable, but not enough to overcome a bad qualifying performance...

It's not the Anglos or the Jerries dude, the bulk of the detractors wear Orange (and I don't mean papaya)

#36 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

No proper F1 driver is useless and he has the potential do a good job and give CL a run for his money if things go well for him .... dont see him as a future WDC though. 

#37 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Don't buy that. It wasn't peanuts with performance bonuses, yet it was a substantial drop from an astronomical salary he'd been on for years. There is more to it.

It was a massive salary drop plus much likely he would've lost number 1 status aswell to Leclerc.... If I were Vettel, I would find that hard to accept. I think Vettel never deserved to win as much as 4 WDC, but still, with 4 WDC, you simply can't accept anything other than number 1 status, no matter the team. Unless you do a Kimi and go down to a midfield team to have some fun or something like that

#38 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:26

I find this extremely underwhelming. I hope Sainz is better than I think he is.

I find it it bit surprising that some people think 2019 season wasnt prove enough that he is well deserving of top seat.. Anyhow I think he will prove quite many doubters wrong. In my books he really does deserve that seat and based on 2019 alone much more deserving than Ricciardo for example. And drivers like Ham/Verstappen were simply not available/too expensive.

For the first time since the start of 2007 Ferrari wont have a champion driving for them. I think thats exactly what they need, 2 young hungry drivers going for their 1st championship. Ofc time will tell whether Leclerc-Sainz will be championship winning drivers or will their be more like another Alesi-Berger pairing.

Edited by Balnazzard, 14 May 2020 - 10:31.

#39 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:28

It was a massive salary drop plus much likely he would've lost number 1 status aswell to Leclerc.... If I were Vettel, I would find that hard to accept. I think Vettel never deserved to win as much as 4 WDC, but still, with 4 WDC, you simply can't accept anything other than number 1 status, no matter the team. Unless you do a Kimi and go down to a midfield team to have some fun or something like that

Fair enough, I can understand what you're saying. One day we might find out. For now... welcome Carlos! If he gives Leclerc a hard time and Ferrari let them race, I'm all for it.

Advertisement

#40 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:28

My prime choice was still Ricciardo but I am beaming with this news. I think Carlos is thoroughly deserving and I can't wait to see him battling Max and everyone else at the sharp end.

V A M O S

#41 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:29

Good luck taking on Mercedes/Hamilton and Red Bull/Verstappen with this line-up.

Sainz is better than Albon and might be on the same level (or even better, who knows) as Bottas.

The lead driver position is the questionmark, but this wasnt going to be solved by any option. Leclerc is probably even the most promising one.

#42 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,384 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:32

At this stage, I agree that Hamilton and Verstappen are better than Leclerc, but Charles is very young and he has still room for improvement.

Concerning the #2 drivers, I don't think Bottas or Albon are any better than Sainz.

#43 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:38

Nope, Barrichello was the genuine lapdog driver, that accepted being a number 2 for MS..., Carlos on the other hand doesnt, and he aims to get better and better each day and beat anyone. With this attitude difference alone, I'd say Carlos is better than Rubens ever was.

Carlos reminds me of Rosberg, who with insanely hard work and a bit of luck he beat Lewis and became champion, even though he ultimately wasn't as talented.

Agreed he reminds me more of Rosberg as well. Perhaps Sainz is not among the most talented drivers, only time will tell, but I think his 2019 season alone proved that he is just not another Barrichello.

Of the available drivers/from realistic choices, Im really glad they went with Carlos also because he is the one driver that has yet to be even given a chance to drive for top team. Ricciardo had his time to shine at Red Bull but chose to leave for Renault, so I hope he realizes that he now might be stuck with midfield teams for the rest of his career.

#44 Acathla

Acathla

• 614 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:38

It's not the Anglos or the Jerries dude, the bulk of the detractors wear Orange (and I don't mean papaya)

Sadly so. All thanks to the nonsense of Olav Mol & Jack Plooij. A lot of rumours they tend to sell to the Dutch as truth. I do support Max, but I hate the blindness and tunnelvision that a lot of Dutch have when it comes to Verstappen. 

#45 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,087 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:39

No proper F1 driver is useless and he has the potential do a good job and give CL a run for his money if things go well for him .... dont see him as a future WDC though. 

Exactly. Like many on the forum, I'm an expert at selecting drivers and determining team strategies. However, more interesting than whether or not we would have selected Sainz, we now have an intriguing situation. We have no idea how he'll stack up under the pressure of a top line drive. Leclerc's ultimate potential is still unknown too. Watching how the Ferrari drivers perform will be one of the great stories of next season.

#46 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:43

Not excited at this move by Ferrari at all - don't remember when Ferrari had such an underwhelming lineup before (maybe 1994). But I wish good luck for Ferrari maybe they will surprise with this lineup.  :)  

Personally I think having 2 young, hungry drivers with no championships under their belt is exactly what Ferrari needs. They havent had this situation since 2007 and that was the year Ferrari last time won WDC, so fingers crossed :D Ofc there is chance that Leclerc-Sainz turns out to be just another Alesi-Berger lineup but I honestly think ppl are underestimating both Leclerc and especially Sainz

Edited by Balnazzard, 14 May 2020 - 10:45.

#47 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 3,190 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:44

According to spansih reports, the offer Ferrari made to Vettel was so ridicluously low compared to what he used to earn, like an invitation for him to leave the team. Vettel would probably have agreed to be stripped out of number 1 status but maintaining the very high salary, but not lose both

Straight out the bat, a good reason to ignore those false reports. 

Edited by ForzaFormula, 14 May 2020 - 10:45.

#48 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:44

A logical move. And boring.

He'll be the Spanish Barrichello for many years to come.

#49 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:46

You consistently paint your opinions as facts and yet find it hard to understand why Seb left. I think some of his best reasons were literally painfully obvious. If they escape your reasoning then I shouldn’t be surprised you missed all the great drives in 2019 that the TV director failed to get. If your view of F1 is going to only have a field of vision of 5-6 drivers..... I don’t mean to attack you but the attacks on a guy who has done enough to score that drive on the basis of a terrific, intelligent, and consistent overachievement in 2019 is just getting very, very old. Carlos’s biggest hurdle in 2021 imho will be terrible Ferrari management, not Leclerc.

#50 Dicun

Dicun

• 975 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:47

I think many underestimate Carlos. He doesn't seem to be the type that willingly accepts a no. 2 status to anyone. I have a feeling that those thinking that Charles will just walk over him might be in for a surprise. I will go as far as to say that overall Carlos will more of a challenge to Charles than Sebastian was.