Photo
- - - - -

Who will Renault sign to replace Ricciardo?

• Please log in to reply
482 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will Renault sign to take Ricciardo's seat? (226 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will Renault sign to take Ricciardo's seat?

1. Fernando Alonso (111 votes [49.12%])

Percentage of vote: 49.12%

2. Max Fewtrell (1 votes [0.44%])

Percentage of vote: 0.44%

3. Nico Hülkenberg (29 votes [12.83%])

Percentage of vote: 12.83%

4. Christian Lundgaard (15 votes [6.64%])

Percentage of vote: 6.64%

5. Sebastian Vettel (8 votes [3.54%])

Percentage of vote: 3.54%

6. Guanyu Zhou (21 votes [9.29%])

Percentage of vote: 9.29%

7. Other (10 votes [4.42%])

Percentage of vote: 4.42%

8. No-one - Renault will withdraw before the 2021 season begins (31 votes [13.72%])

Percentage of vote: 13.72%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,171 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:28

So, the Vettel-Sainz-Ricciardo switcheroo has happened quickly, but we now have a seat remaining alongside Ocon at Renault.

Vettel could complete the cycle by slotting in here, but there are some other options available (and not too much indication of what will happen yet):
  • Fernando Alonso - a famous name from the team's past, a proven champion, but perhaps rusty, expensive, and unwilling to drive for a midfield team?
  • Nico Hülkenberg - a Massa-esque recall?
  • A Renault junior driver - Guanyu Zhou, Christian Lundgaard and Max Fewtrell are all at F2 level, but this would also depend on SuperLicence points. Could also be risky with Ocon being relatively experienced himself and new to the team.
  • Any other options from rival teams?

Advertisement

#2 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:31

I go for Zhou. He was impressive last year and he is a big favourite to win the F2 title this year. Very attractive for the Chinese market too.

#3 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:32

Get rid of Cyril and bring back Alonso.

#4 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:34

I've never heard of those Renault junior drivers!

Perhaps someone from Formula E (De Vries? Wehrlein? Vergne?), although FE seems like a good way of advertising that you're about as good as plenty of other drivers who never made it to F1 or didn't stay for long.

Left-field choice: Alexander Rossi.

#5 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:35

Fisichella or maybe Villeneuve

#6 KavB

KavB

• 1,594 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:35

I really don't see why Alonso would come back to Renault and not McLaren, given they are in fairly similar positions and McLaren looks slightly more hopeful for the future. 

Unless he realised he's missing the close racing like Kimi realised all those years ago, and simply just wants to race in the sport for the thrill. 

#7 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,555 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:36

Zhou most likely I think, he could potentially win F2 this year. Lundgaard only if he outperforms Zhou.

Vettel don't see it, Alonso isn't coming back to Renault. Hulkenberg possibly if the juniors aren't looking good.

#8 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Fisichella or maybe Villeneuve

One of the Fabi brothers could do a job. Doesn't matter which one.

#9 balage06

balage06

• 3,108 posts

I've never heard of those Renault junior drivers!

Perhaps someone from Formula E (De Vries? Wehrlein? Vergne?), although FE seems like a good way of advertising that you're about as good as plenty of other drivers who never made it to F1 or didn't stay for long.

Left-field choice: Alexander Rossi.

But how is FE more relevant to F1 than let's say F2? All of those drivers are already written off as future prospects, that is why they are in FE.

#10 Stallknecht

Stallknecht

• 313 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:38

My money is on Lundgaard. Cyril has mentioned him as a strong contender for a 2021 seat

#11 P123

P123

• 23,968 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:40

Will Renault still be in the sport?  Doesn't say much that they have lost their star driver after one season (ok, still the other to race) to a customer team.

#12 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:42

But how is FE more relevant to F1 than let's say F2? All of those drivers are already written off as future prospects, that is why they are in FE.

Because they're professional drivers, often with better records in junior formulae than the guys currently in F2. This could change, but it seems like the junior drivers we're discussing have career highlights of a couple of thirds in F2 or a fourth place in Macau.

I'm not sure we'll see anyone come to F1 from Formula E, but saying that drivers in FE have been collectively written off as good enough for F1 sounds like groupthink to me.

#13 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,978 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:42

Being Danish too, I also hope for Lundgaard. But I am certain that Cyril has mentioned Zhou to the Chinese press also. I believe it is common ground here that you shouldn't trust Cyril as far as you can throw him.

Cyril would probably love to have Alonso, but if he doesn't get him (for whatever reason), he'll change track and go for a junior. Which makes it a straight fight between Zhou and Lundgaard in F2.

#14 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,223 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:43

Will Renault still be in the sport? Doesn't say much that they have lost their star driver after one season (ok, still the other to race) to a customer team.

This.

Are Genii still around and interested to buy a team at a discount price?

#15 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:43

My money is on Lundgaard. Cyril has mentioned him as a strong contender for a 2021 seat

My problem with Lundgaard is that - while I think that he is more talented than Zhou - he is not ready yet. In fact I think even the move now to F2 is too early.

#16 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,872 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:44

Alonso please

#17 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,814 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:46

I go for Zhou. He was impressive last year and he is a big favourite to win the F2 title this year. Very attractive for the Chinese market too.

Zhou for the influx of chinese sponsors to the team. Renault board look like they are over it. A  30 million chinese sponsor would help a lot.

#18 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,171 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:54

I've done some quick calculations and I believe that Zhou, Lundgaard and Fewtrell all need to finish fourth in the F2 standings this season to qualify for a Super Licence.

#19 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:55

Bottas? If Mercedes doesn't re-sign him, surely that's a distinct possibility. I was also going to say Perez, but I guess the chance of that happening whilst Ocon is there is slim-to-nil. 

Advertisement

#20 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:57

If Renault bring anyone in that isn't already established in F1 then they're dead.

They need a headline driver, they're a works Formula 1 team. They just lost their Netflix season 1 star signing.

Who are Netflix going to follow in 2021?

They need Alonso.

#21 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,096 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:59

Would be interesting to see Guanyu Zhou given a chance, but in his F3 years he showed flashed of promise without really convincing in the end. Three years, notching up 13th, 8th and 8th again in the championship.

#22 frosty125

frosty125

• 1,127 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:59

Alonso or Hulkenberg would both be good choices.

#23 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:00

Either Alonso or Zhou I would say. If they can afford for Alonso/want Zhou first to gather more experience then ofc they should call in Spaniard again for Renault for season or two.

Dont think Vettel is in the picture anymore, I think his career in F1 is done and he might start looking for something else outside F1. Also I dont see them really brining Hulk back anymore after showing him the door once, but then again Hulk is affordable and they know what to expect from him. Personally I would welcome Alonso back for season or two until Renault young drivers are really ready to move into F1, at the moment I feel it might be bit early, especially if 2020 season doesnt go ahead.

Edited by Balnazzard, 14 May 2020 - 11:04.

#24 messy

messy

• 7,501 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:04

I don’t think they’ll still be in F1. Sadly losing Ricciardo this fast rings alarm bells.

Enstone, in some form, have always found a way to carry on and I hope that’s true here too, though.

#25 Anja

Anja

• 10,355 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:10

I think there's a genuine chance for Alonso - not very big, but I could see it happening. He could very well sign to drive for a few years before moving to a managerial role within the team, perhaps even with partial ownership. 

Can't imagine Vettel in the midfield. But in the slim chance that Merc were to suddenly go crazy and sign him next to Hamilton, then Bottas to Renault is a very obvious move for both parties. 

If all that doesn't happen, one of their juniors would be my prediction. But if none of them gets a superlicense then all bets are off. 

In general I'm not expecting any news on this front any time soon. 

Edited by Anja, 14 May 2020 - 11:14.

#26 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:13

If Renault bring anyone in that isn't already established in F1 then they're dead.

They need a headline driver, they're a works Formula 1 team. They just lost their Netflix season 1 star signing.

Who are Netflix going to follow in 2021?

They need Alonso.

I do think Ocon is a lot better than many give him credit for, and he is potentially a star in the making. But it's probably much too soon for him to be in the team leader role. Bringing in a veteran like Alonso to take him under his wing would perhaps be ideal. 

But that's not to say that Merc try and get Ocon back as well...

#27 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,509 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:15

I do think Ocon is a lot better than many give him credit for, and he is potentially a star in the making. But it's probably much too soon for him to be in the team leader role. Bringing in a veteran like Alonso to take him under his wing would perhaps be ideal. 

OK, let me tell you about Fernando ....

#28 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:17

I think it'll be one of the junior drivers, Cyril seems like pure poison and I can't see why any of the established drivers would want to be a part of the team as anything other than a stepping stone. It's telling that not only has the team itself gone backwards recently but that their engine is possible the worst in the sport now, after having started the turbo era with the second best.

#29 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,515 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:19

Alonso and Hulkenberg are yesterdays news... either a driver on the grid for another team already, or one of their juniors.. Zhou have the might of China behind him, Lundgaard his results and very little apart from that.

If it actually become as currently set up, with all the moves being for the 2021 season, then whatever the F2 becomes will be a shootout between Zhou and Lundgaard, if it suddenly wheels turn fast and the moves happen in 2020 then all bets are off and even yesterdays news could happen.

:cool:

#30 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:20

Alonso for the lols - can imagine him and Abiteboul getting on like a house on fire  :up:   :lol:

Edited by krapmeister, 14 May 2020 - 11:25.

#31 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:21

I have long wondered whether Max Fewtrell has any family link with Eddie...the man the Krays refused to take on.

#32 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,499 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:22

Alonso is not a bad choice, but it doesn't smell long term

#33 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:22

OK, let me tell you about Fernando ....

You know (most) people tend to mellow with age, right?

#34 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:28

Ocon is quick for sure.

Yeh what you said, I just think he isn't ready to lead a works team. So Renault need a leader, I'm not sure Ricciardo was fully ready either to be honest.

#35 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,384 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:29

Get rid of Cyril and bring back Alonso.

Do you mean Alonso as a driver or in replacement of Abiteboul?

#36 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:29

I'd love for Gasly to escape the Red Bull stable. He's cheap and talented. A French super-team might persuade the board to stick around a little longer. The only problem is Ocon and him really don't like eachother.

Edited by TomNokoe, 14 May 2020 - 13:20.

#37 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:30

Do you mean Alonso as a driver or in replacement of Abiteboul?

Why not both while we're at it. They'd be far better off either way.

#38 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,294 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:32

Lundgaard is the real deal. Whether that means he's ready for F1 next year, though, is another question.

#39 Darnswim

Darnswim

• 385 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:35

Hulk. He has unfinished business.

Advertisement

#40 thegobetween

thegobetween

• 124 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:42

Alonso is not a bad choice, but it doesn't smell long term

Neither do Renault.

#41 Hakki069

Hakki069

• 879 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:44

I'd say hulk or Alonso.

But if vettel goes to mercedes then bottas will be at renault

#42 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,499 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:45

We're not even sure F1 will survive 2020, yeah.

#43 68targa

68targa

• 1,148 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:50

Alonso would be exciting - image the coverage it would generate. He still has unfinished business in F1 but time is running out for him (and for Renault).

I feel that Vettel; will retire from F1.

#44 CSF

CSF

• 2,842 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:52

Cyrill, Alonso and Ocon. Who would implode first?  :drunk:

#45 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,359 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:33

VET allegedly told McLaren he is does not want to help build up a team at this point of his career (source: German sports TV network sport1). Considering this, I doubt he wants to join Renault.

#46 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:36

Vettel is retiring.

He has spent a lot of time at home during COVID. He isn't missing F1, he is enjoying time with his family.

He has nothing to prove, he has won 4 titles.

#47 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:41

Vettel is retiring.

He has spent a lot of time at home during COVID. He isn't missing F1, he is enjoying time with his family.

He has nothing to prove, he has won 4 titles.

Exactly, I could ONLY see him going to Mercedes alongside Hamilton, but lets be honest here, thats not realistic scenario, Mercedes doesnt need him as long as Hamilton is there and Bottas is good enough 2nd driver to help Mercedes secure WCCs.

I would hope to see Vettel doing racing in some other categories though, so that he doesnt retire entirely from motorsport.

#48 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,978 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:43

Vettel is retiring....

Less than a month ago: https://www.bbc.com/...rmula1/52318550

On his future with Ferrari

The uncertain state of the sport has other impacts, too. Most of the top drivers are out of contract at the end of this season, and Vettel is among them. Normally, decisions as to whether to move or stay would be influenced by how the season started, for both driver and team. Now, it is likely they will have to be taken before any racing has happened.

Either way, Vettel says he not only wants to stay in F1 - but also to prolong his time at Ferrari, where Leclerc is already committed until 2024.

"I made that clear last time we spoke," he says. "I don't know when that was." The car launch? "Yeah, the launch."

#49 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:43

I think Renault will quit due to a lack of success at the end of 2021, but blame Coronavirus and the new rules/costs not ending up as they wanted them. If they make that decision now they can complete 2 more seasons without having to design a new car. Why stay? They have the worst works chassis, engine and (half a) driver line up after 5 years of a plan. Hondas initially woeful progress in less time now looks stratospheric by comparison. 

#50 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:46

Less than a month ago: https://www.bbc.com/...rmula1/52318550

On his future with Ferrari

The uncertain state of the sport has other impacts, too. Most of the top drivers are out of contract at the end of this season, and Vettel is among them. Normally, decisions as to whether to move or stay would be influenced by how the season started, for both driver and team. Now, it is likely they will have to be taken before any racing has happened.

Either way, Vettel says he not only wants to stay in F1 - but also to prolong his time at Ferrari, where Leclerc is already committed until 2024.

"I made that clear last time we spoke," he says. "I don't know when that was." The car launch? "Yeah, the launch."

But you contradict your "evidence" within the same quote. 

You highlight the quote where Vettel says he wants to stay in F1 and use that as a suggestion that my assumption he will retire is wrong.

In the same sentence it also says he intends to prolong his time at Ferrari.

And look what happened there.

He is not at Ferrari.

So it's completely plausible his intention to stay in F1 has also changed.

So once again, Vettel will retire.

Edited by RedBaron, 14 May 2020 - 12:49.