- - - - -

Hamilton attends BLM protest in London

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
261 replies to this topic

#1 Beri

Beri

• 11,668 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:31

@Mods: I couldnt really find the right thread to post this. If this post better can be merged in another thread: go ahead.

Lewis Hamilton has attended the Black Lives Matter protest in London on Sunday. Which is a good thing in my book. Such an influential person can make a mark on society and reach out to millions.

But there is one thing; he is to start the Austrian Grand Prix weekend within two weeks from now. With McLaren quarantining their entire race team and with all the precautions that Liberty and the FIA have taken over the past weeks to ensure the Grand Prix to start, this isnt the smartest thing to have done by Lewis. On the pictures it appears him being within 2 meters from other people. And even Mercedes' Angela Cullen appears to be on the pictures.
If I were Liberty, I would be furious at Lewis despite his right to protest and the cause being a very good one.

Should Hamilton be put in quarantine?

https://t.co/VLwds9liHK

Advertisement

#2 pRy

pRy

• 26,356 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:37

He was masked up, kept distanced and will be tested this week and next I imagine. He'll be fine. 

#3 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,268 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:50

Needs to get his ass over to Talladega.
ASAP.
Jp

#4 KavB

KavB

• 1,594 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:53

Hopefully he is fine.  

I have to respect the guy taking the risk of missing a Grand Prix in order to fight for a great cause. Even if he were to miss the race/title because of this, I doubt it would matter much to him.

Edited by KavB, 22 June 2020 - 09:40.

#5 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:04

Missed the one in Croydon though. :down:

#6 P123

P123

• 23,968 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:06

@Mods: I couldnt really find the right thread to post this. If this post better can be merged in another thread: go ahead.

Lewis Hamilton has attended the Black Lives Matter protest in London on Sunday. Which is a good thing in my book. Such an influential person can make a mark on society and reach out to millions.

But there is one thing; he is to start the Austrian Grand Prix weekend within two weeks from now. With McLaren quarantining their entire race team and with all the precautions that Liberty and the FIA have taken over the past weeks to ensure the Grand Prix to start, this isnt the smartest thing to have done by Lewis. On the pictures it appears him being within 2 meters from other people. And even Mercedes' Angela Cullen appears to be on the pictures.
If I were Liberty, I would be furious at Lewis despite his right to protest and the cause being a very good one.

Should Hamilton be put in quarantine?

https://t.co/VLwds9liHK

I'm sure testing is one of the protocols, so no requirement for quarantine.  Unless you actually believe everybody attending the GP will be living in a bubble over the next weeks and months.

#7 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:06

even Mercedes' Angela Cullen appears to be on the pictures.

Probably to make sure his risk of infection was as low as possible. I don't think Angela attended simply for moral support. Why do you think he didn't go to one of the earlier marches?

#8 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:12

You can't get the flu in summer. He'll be alright. :wave:

#9 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,834 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:26

Coronavirus isn't flu, you silly sausage.

#10 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:49

Nobody who attended BLM protests is the UK has been asked to quarantine, though I do have several friends who attended the big one two weeks ago and who chose to isolate for 14 days after. The data appears to show that there's been no effect on the number of new cases, and SAGE experts have stated that the protests won't have had an effect because the number of existing cases is now very low, they took place outside, most wore masks and there were attempts at social distancing. 

Wearing  a mask will *not* have protected Lewis (the biggest misconception is that masks protect the wearer - and I am yet to see a single person in public using one properly) but they will offer significant protection from others if the wearer unknowingly carries the virus. Lewis will, however, surely be tested before any grand prix. 

I am unsurprised. Lewis has been vocal for a long time about race issues and racism. You can bet he's experienced it first hand when I as a white man from a family tree with no people of colour in it cannot fully appreciate. It's personal to him in a way it can never be for me, however much I dislike racism and metaphorically stand with him.

#11 A3

A3

• 32,106 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:10

I may come accross as extremely ignorant and I'm feeling like treading on thin ice, but why a shirt with "black is a vibe" printed on it? I thought this was about racial issues and how we're all the same. And he wears a shirt saying he's different becuase he's black. Or does it mean something else?

Edited by A3, 22 June 2020 - 10:12.

#12 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:13

I would worry more about Max and Ricciardo being in a packed bar in St. Tropez yesterday  :lol:

#13 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:15

I am a little bit shocked, that all you talk about is Lewis shirt (wth) and the Corona Virus. Which certainly is important. But you have to mention how important the Black Lives Matters subject is as well.

I am thankful that there are F1 drivers who stand up for it. Lewis like this and Lando Norris on twitter and quite possible other drivers as well, but I haven't exactly checked everywhere.

It is really important, especially since F1 has had a racism problem for years. I'm not saying that everybody is like this, but there are many right-wing-idiots and even racists attending races. F1 is after all an old white men domain still, even though this is luckily gradually changing.

Like I remember this incident:

lh-29.jpg

Did anybody even do anything about it? They should not even have been allowed to enter the track like this. And then I heard how people of colour describe getting racist remarks shouted at them and nobody doing ANYTHING. F1 always seems unpolitical, but I don't think that's right. I think they should send a clear message, that stuff like that isn't welcome. No racists and no homophobes should be welcome in any community. Especially if they shout out their narrow mindsets. People like that should be banned from watching F1 races at any track ever again.

I'm seriously furious about this. How is it okay to call someone a 'monkey' just because he has a different skin colour?

So THANK YOU Lewis for standing up, since you atm are the most sucessful F1 driver active (even I as a Seb fan have to begrudgingly admit that) perhaps somebody in the sport will listen to you.

Edited by Sin, 22 June 2020 - 10:16.

#14 Beri

Beri

• 11,668 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:19

I'm sure testing is one of the protocols, so no requirement for quarantine.  Unless you actually believe everybody attending the GP will be living in a bubble over the next weeks and months.

Well that is not exactly what I expect. But I expect that the people involved with Formula One to, at least, eep up appearances that they do obey the social distancing rules. You cant know for sure and you can not actually check everyone 24/7. But I do expect of Hamilton not to disobey the rules and put it out in the open on social media. Thats a bit of the issue at hand that I have with this matter. He will be tested and all will likely to be fine. But it isnt the smartest of things to do in my book. Even tho I understand the need and the right to protest this case for Hamilton himself.

#15 A3

A3

• 32,106 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:23

I am a little bit shocked, that all you talk about is Lewis shirt (wth) and the Corona Virus. Which certainly is important. But you have to mention how important the Black Lives Matters subject is as well.

Why would I *need* to do that when the specific topic is Lewis Hamilton joining a protest? This is Racing Comments, not The Paddock Club. 

#16 Beri

Beri

• 11,668 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:23

I am thankful that there are F1 drivers who stand up for it. Lewis like this and Lando Norris on twitter and quite possible other drivers as well, but I haven't exactly checked everywhere.

It is really important, especially since F1 has had a racism problem for years. I'm not saying that everybody is like this, but there are many right-wing-idiots and even racists attending races. F1 is after all an old white men domain still, even though this is luckily gradually changing.

Like I remember this incident:

lh-29.jpg

Did anybody even do anything about it? They should not even have been allowed to enter the track like this. And then I heard how people of colour describe getting racist remarks shouted at them and nobody doing ANYTHING. F1 always seems unpolitical, but I don't think that's right. I think they should send a clear message, that stuff like that isn't welcome. No racists and no homophobes should be welcome in any community. Especially if they shout out their narrow mindsets. People like that should be banned from watching F1 races at any track ever again.

I'm seriously furious about this. How is it okay to call someone a 'monkey' just because he has a different skin colour?

So THANK YOU Lewis for standing up, since you atm are the most sucessful F1 driver active (even I as a Seb fan have to begrudgingly admit that) perhaps somebody in the sport will listen to you.

Aside from your picture, have you got any proof that F1 is racism filled for years and years? Sexist, yes. Racist, not so much. And for your picture, that isnt F1 in general. Those are "fans". Better tell that fans are the issue at hand, rather than blaming Formula 1 in general.

#17 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:27

Aside from your picture, have you got any proof that F1 is racism filled for years and years? Sexist, yes. Racist, not so much. And for your picture, that isnt F1 in general. Those are "fans". Better tell that fans are the issue at hand, rather than blaming Formula 1 in general.

That what I was talking about fans. Formula 1 as a community is for me mostly fans. And I have read people with different skin colour describe their experiences in another online forum. That's why I mention it. And even if I was wrong I still think F1 should take a strong stance on that matter.

I heard more accounts on racism in F1 than sexism btw. And I as a woman never felt anyone being sexist against me just because I'm an F1 fan. Quite the opposite actually, everybody always was very polite to me. And yes I'm still talking about fans.

Edit: But reading this https://www.formula1...rCoQDc1RY8.html It seems F1 actually starts doing something, so that's good :)

Edited by Sin, 22 June 2020 - 10:28.

#18 danmills

danmills

• 3,177 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:28

Guys watch the Netflix film 'Uppity'.

#19 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:34

Dear Sirs

I am worried now.  On Saturday, there was a small BLM protest march down Guildford High Street, where I happened to be.  I was in close proximity to the marchers.  Should i now go into quarantine?

regards

Worried of Surrey

Advertisement

#20 Beri

Beri

• 11,668 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:42

That what I was talking about fans. Formula 1 as a community is for me mostly fans. And I have read people with different skin colour describe their experiences in another online forum. That's why I mention it. And even if I was wrong I still think F1 should take a strong stance on that matter.

I heard more accounts on racism in F1 than sexism btw. And I as a woman never felt anyone being sexist against me just because I'm an F1 fan. Quite the opposite actually, everybody always was very polite to me. And yes I'm still talking about fans.

Edit: But reading this https://www.formula1...rCoQDc1RY8.html It seems F1 actually starts doing something, so that's good :)

To be honest, I cant really go by "Ive heard from others that its really bad". Because nowadays, it would have reached mainstream media in a heartbeat. And it never did.

Im not saying that those stories you are referring to have never happened. I just doubt that it is really as bad as you might seem to think. 

And as for your information on the picture youve posted, painting your face like blackface has never been seen as a bad thing to do in the Netherlands up until the previous years. Nowadays people think different about it, Myself included. Your picture could very well be such people that are actually even fan of Hamilton and didnt see any harm done with their actions. But as said; things have changed. But the picture doesnt necessarily have to be a racist motive, despite it (obviously) being offensive.

#21 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:49

Well it was an account from a person it really happened to. And being called a 'monkey' just because of the colour of your skin is inacceptable. It doesn't really matter how bad it is anyway, there should be no place for it at all.

That picture was from the 2008 season pre-testing if I remember correctly and it was in Spain. I understand what you mean with blackface as it not being seen as a bad thing. BUT, the thing is even if they didn't know it was bad, they should have never been allowed to enter the venue like this. I never been to an F1 venue, but aren't there gates you have to go through where people check you or something? Even in pre-season testing?

#22 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:53

You don't get it, mate. It's not your fault because (I assume) you're a white male, or a darker shade of white, but not black. Racism does not have to be overt, in fact most people would not view themselves as racist and I'd agree with that. The problem is more about institutional racism. 

Now, institutional prejudice is not limited to race it takes other forms - against women is another example. But it is real and that is where the power lies. In my view one cannot be truly racist without power.

As for Lewis ' exploits. They are noble yes, but there are other ways of lending support and I think he needs to be more subtle in his approach.

https://www.youtube....h?v=pfz0tDQZhqs

#23 A3

A3

• 32,106 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:54

That picture was from the 2008 season pre-testing if I remember correctly and it was in Spain. I understand what you mean with blackface as it not being seen as a bad thing. BUT, the thing is even if they didn't know it was bad, they should have never been allowed to enter the venue like this. I never been to an F1 venue, but aren't there gates you have to go through where people check you or something? Even in pre-season testing?

Who says they didn't put that on when already at the track? 

Edited by A3, 22 June 2020 - 10:56.

#24 BCM

BCM

• 1,965 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:56

Dear Sirs

I am worried now.  On Saturday, there was a small BLM protest march down Guildford High Street, where I happened to be.  I was in close proximity to the marchers.  Should i now go into quarantine?

regards

Worried of Surrey

Yep. All fun and games until someone tests positive like happened here in Australia from one of the BLM marches. They're up to 4 from the march at last count.

Edited by BCM, 22 June 2020 - 10:59.

#25 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:02

Nobody who attended BLM protests is the UK has been asked to quarantine, though I do have several friends who attended the big one two weeks ago and who chose to isolate for 14 days after. The data appears to show that there's been no effect on the number of new cases, and SAGE experts have stated that the protests won't have had an effect because the number of existing cases is now very low, they took place outside, most wore masks and there were attempts at social distancing. 

Wearing  a mask will *not* have protected Lewis (the biggest misconception is that masks protect the wearer - and I am yet to see a single person in public using one properly) but they will offer significant protection from others if the wearer unknowingly carries the virus. Lewis will, however, surely be tested before any grand prix. 

I am unsurprised. Lewis has been vocal for a long time about race issues and racism. You can bet he's experienced it first hand when I as a white man from a family tree with no people of colour in it cannot fully appreciate. It's personal to him in a way it can never be for me, however much I dislike racism and metaphorically stand with him.

In general, the risk of infection outside is much lower than indoors, as even a slight breeze will disperse the droplets containing the virus particles, diluting them to a point where it would be difficult to inhale enough particles to contract it unless you were very close to others (probably within a metre).  Add in the fact that a high percentage of those attending would probably have been wearing face coverings of some type and the risk lowers again; as absinthedude in the post I quoted explains, most face coverings greatly reduce the viral particle load in the air from someone breathing, speaking or coughing, rather than protecting an uninfected person from the virus, which is why health professionals are wearing close-fitting multi-layered N95-spec masks.  All those entering the circuits will be tested, so any member of the F1 family who tests positive will be quarantined.

Edited by cpbell, 22 June 2020 - 11:06.

#26 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:03

Who says they didn't put that on when already at the track? 

Then they should have been thrown out or at least been forced to remove that **** as soon as somebody noticed them.

#27 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:08

Then they should have been thrown out or at least been forced to remove that **** as soon as somebody noticed them.

It was in Spain.  It was seen as normal behaviour, as any black football player who has enjoyed the attentions of Spanish fans could testify.

#28 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:17

It was in Spain.  It was seen as normal behaviour, as any black football player who has enjoyed the attentions of Spanish fans could testify.

And F1 is an international business with international people attending. Anyone of the officials seeing that should have done something about it.

#29 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,136 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:21

And F1 is an international business with international people attending. Anyone of the officials seeing that should have done something about it.

When something similar happened in 2009 Spain was threatened that it could lose it’s 2 Grand Prix if it didn’t take action.

#30 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,136 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:24

https://lnns.co/Ar8zo_3BLbJ

This is a very interesting podcast with Sam Collins, a black motorsport journalist, on the subject of racism in the sport. Worth a listen if you have the time.

Edited by monolulu, 22 June 2020 - 11:26.

#31 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,846 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:24

Not sure how taking 1 incident from 12 years ago is helpful in proving racism in F1 is still a thing.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not, could very well be that there is (I would be very surprised if it's not a topic). I would just expect better examples and arguments than how fans dressed up 12 years ago... 

#32 Beri

Beri

• 11,668 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:25

I think you are expecting crowd control to be all over the place at race tracks. Well; there isnt.

Anywho, I just want to add to the discussion, and veer the discussion back on topic, the following:
https://www.theguard...lian-grand-prix

Sir Hamilton was so outspoken during the Australian Corona debacle that F1 let happen. He even showed us how to wash our hands:
https://twitter.com/...9007162370?s=20

Yet, to me, everything he has done during those days went just down the drain with his behavior in London. I cant take his Corona worries/discussions/rants seriously anymore.

#33 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:42

I think you are expecting crowd control to be all over the place at race tracks. Well; there isnt.

Anywho, I just want to add to the discussion, and veer the discussion back on topic, the following:

Sir Hamilton was so outspoken during the Australian Corona debacle that F1 let happen. He even showed us how to wash our hands:

Yet, to me, everything he has done during those days went just down the drain with his behavior in London. I cant take his Corona worries/discussions/rants seriously anymore.

He kept a huge distance to everyone (the ones around him are his security and his personal trainer) and wore a mask. If anything he is showing how to do it :lol:

#34 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:44

The thread is about the implication of his attendance on the upcoming race.  That's why people are talking about that

#35 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,871 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:50

So you don't respect the fact that he is standing up for something in which he believes, while - it appears - taking all appropriate precautions to protect his and others' health three months down the line from the Australian GP, when much less was known or understood about the virus? And I'd remind you that the race was finally cancelled on the morning of March 13th Australian time - at which point just six countries had gone into lockdown; Italy, Ireland, Saudi Arabia, Mongolia, Qatar and El Salvador. Poland and Albania followed on the 13th.

#36 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,110 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:25

I have nothing but respect for Hamilton's attendance of the protest. It's an important issue, far more so than any competition for driving cars around very fast. 

If legitimate grounds to stop him from taking part in a Grand Prix do arise that would be a shame in some ways but at the end of the day would only really lend itself to showing how important the issue is. I would like to think there's no chance of anyone stopping him from competing for illegitimate reasons over this. 

#37 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:26

Incidentally, does anyone have links to a news story about Max and Dan partying in St Tropez yesterday?"  Because the only link I could find was from a two year old story.  There doesn't appear to be any mention of it in the Netherlands and all. I could find was one from Max saying he'd gone through pretty much the entire Netflix catalogue.

Might be why the focus is on Hamilton

#38 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:37

Incidentally, does anyone have links to a news story about Max and Dan partying in St Tropez yesterday?"  Because the only link I could find was from a two year old story.  There doesn't appear to be any mention of it in the Netherlands and all. I could find was one from Max saying he'd gone through pretty much the entire Netflix catalogue.

Might be why the focus is on Hamilton

I can only see Max, but then again I only saw it briefly yesterday

EbCxFDUUEAA-PyR.jpg

If you check the Insta Stories of that Bar you will see that most people absolutely ignored any social distancing rules on that party, I hope that Max and Daniel didnt had much contact beyond their close circle, otherwise :/

#39 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:44

EbCxFDUUEAA-PyR.jpg

If you check the Insta Stories of that Bar you will see that most people absolutely ignored any social distancing rules on that party, I hope that Max and Daniel didnt had much contact beyond their close circle, otherwise :/

Thing is, I'm googling verstappen st tropez june 20th and the only hits I'm getting are from previous years.  I'm having strong doubts about how current this is.

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:47

Seems a lot of people are having problems staying on topic across multiple threads, making more work for the moderation team. Think twice before hitting "Post".

#41 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,136 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:50

EbCxFDUUEAA-PyR.jpg

Think this may be an old photo 

#42 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:51

Seems a lot of people are having problems staying on topic across multiple threads, making more work for the moderation team. Think twice before hitting "Post".

I get what you're saying, but questions are asked why the OP is focusing attention on Hamilton when other F1 stars are doing similar things.  I'm trying to establish how true that is because it's relevant to the discussion (unless you're talking about something else!)

#43 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 13:06

I get what you're saying, but questions are asked why the OP is focusing attention on Hamilton when other F1 stars are doing similar things.  I'm trying to establish how true that is because it's relevant to the discussion (unless you're talking about something else!)

Definitely something else, that has been removed and was not related to any racing drivers.

#44 A3

A3

• 32,106 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 13:12

Think this may be an old photo

It's not even a photo, it's a still from a video. Some people are wearing masks in it. 

But how do people know that that is Max?

VmlBl0w.png?1

Edited by A3, 22 June 2020 - 13:14.

#45 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 13:22

It's not even a photo, it's a still from a video. Some people are wearing masks in it. 

But how do people know that that is Max?

VmlBl0w.png?1

If this is not Max I demand that this dude turns up one day in the F1 paddock and pretends that he is Max  :p

EbCxFDSVcAAMMcU.jpg

I'm more curious about why people say that Ricciardo was there (probably because he posted a Story with that DJ?), unless he is the nice dude here I can't see him

evlbecJ.png

#46 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 1,860 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 13:42

F1 and sport in general has huge issues with race, sexuality and gender and anyone saying 'well that was 12 years ago' needs to go and have a little think, just because its not open discrimation doesn't mean its not happening, even at low levels.

1 black driver, no openly LGBT drivers and no female drivers and (correct me if I'm wrong) its the same in the paddock except for a few women in some of the teams.

Lewis is right to stand up for his beliefs and you have to be pretty harsh to criticise him for it.

#47 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 13:52

F1 and sport in general has huge issues with race, sexuality and gender and anyone saying 'well that was 12 years ago' needs to go and have a little think, just because its not open discrimation doesn't mean its not happening, even at low levels.

1 black driver, no openly LGBT drivers and no female drivers and (correct me if I'm wrong) its the same in the paddock except for a few women in some of the teams.

Lewis is right to stand up for his beliefs and you have to be pretty harsh to criticise him for it.

I don't think anyone is criticising him for standing up for his beliefs.  It's valid to raise concerns about whether joining a rally is the best way for him to articulate them, given the timing.  And maybe it is, but it's not wrong to ask the question

#48 renzmann

renzmann

• 5,996 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 13:55

I think you're wrong. This says nothing about his stance on Corona. It is about him risking his health, his season and maybe even his contract to make his voice heard on a matter that is important to him. That's what makes it very powerful to me (as opposed to his rather cheap comments about F1 ruled by money in Australia, which was of no consequence at all).

#49 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 13:56

The real discriminator in motorsport is money.

Edited by Jovanotti, 22 June 2020 - 13:57.

#50 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 14:09

I have tried, as did absinthedude, to explain that whst he did was probably not that risky.  IMO, you are overreacting.