- - - - -

REV Group Grand Prix at Road America – Official Race Thread

• Please log in to reply
1361 replies to this topic

#1 H0R

H0R

• 4,119 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:22

Welcome to Race 3 and 4 of the 2020 Indycar season! 

5pEeYAc.jpg

So ze first double header in an extraordinary season is upon us. Actually I was reluctant to write an OP. Language reasons and stuff, but zen Jon Pollak decided zat Wisconsin is essentially Germany and I felt right at home.

Tvm2Kh9.jpg

Picnickers at the State Capitol in Madison WI

First things first: Session times

Race 1

Samstag (Saturday), 11. Juli

17:30 CEST (11:30 ET) Practice

20:30 CEST (2:30 ET) Qualifications Group 1

20:48 CEST (2:48 ET) Qualifications Group 2

23:15 CEST (5:15 ET) Race

Race 2

Sonntag (Sunday), 12. Juli

16:00 CEST (10:00 ET) Qualifications Group 1

16:18 CEST (10:18 ET) Qualifications Group 2

18:42 CEST (12:42 ET) Race

PSA: Don’t forget your picks at https://fantasy.indycar.com

Where do we actually race?

Road America could be translated as Straße Amerika. So it is basically das equivalent to the Autobahn:

V4vAZRT.jpg

Which means: long straights and really fast. The track has an overall length of 6.5 km/4 m, which is exactly as long as the Autobahn between Hamburg and Munich and has 14 turns, which are as many as the Rhine has between the swiss and dutch borders. Which reminds me: We have a dutch driver, I should refrain from all Frank Rijkaard puns.

Road Ämerica is located at Elkhart Lake (population: 967, 3 more than Frankfurt am Main) in Sheboyan Country, Wisconsin. Sheboyan calls itself the “Bratwurst Capital of the world”. Berlin begs to differ. According to Wikipedia Sheboyan is within the Town of the Rhine. You got to be kidding me.

The closest city is apparently more of a hamlet called Green Bäy. No one ever has heard of it, although a certain former Indycar princess seems to have interests.

9DD3IDM.jpg

The track in it’s current layout dates back to 1955, when the first race was held. It was won by Bernd Rosemeyer, followed by Karl Kling and Hans Herrmann. Best placed Fahranfänger was Wolfgang Graf Berghe von Trips. Yes, I made that up.

U6wtDjA.jpg

The track features a Carousel. This is something unheard of in Germany, we don’t understand the concepts of fun, joy or entertainment. The Kink, on the other hand …

Indycar / Champ Car stopped racing here in 2007 after having experienced a horrific race the year before when Katherine Legge atomized her car at the kink und former champ Cristiano da Matta crashed into a deer with career ending results.

The series returned in 2016 as the ADAC Großer Preis von Wisconsin Kohler Grand Prix of Road America. Kohler is gone now.

kVjp4fG.jpg

No, this is actually Horst Köhler, german Bundespräsident from 2004 to 2010. He resigned early as well. Our current president is Frank-Walter Steinmeier, but I don’t expect him to sponsor a motor race any time soon.

The 2016 race was won by Will Power, 2017 by Scott Dixon, 2018 by Josef Neugarten and 2019 by Alexander Rossi. Sounds familiar? Maybe it’s finally time for VEACH.

As epic as the track layout is, it doesn’t always produce scorchers of a race. This is serious racing of the german kind, don’t expect hairpin shenanigans, we gladly leave these deviations to degenerated Los Angelinos or St. Petersburgistas. Here we race in a composed and efficient manner: Last year’s race saw eventual winner Alexander Rossi running away from the field, while the more entertaining battles were in the midfield, especially between Colton Herta and Graham Rahal.

Race Thread 2019

The season so far

Z5WUwxg.jpg

Two races – twice Dixon. I mean, it is really difficult to bet against the Iceman now, isn’t it? Alexander Rossi hasn’t been – much to Anja’s disappointment – to the most successful start and is on Position 23 of the championship standings, DJ Willy P of Toowoomba, Australia didn’t fare much better and is at Position 15.

Simon Pagenaud and the former Young American Josef Newgarden are on 2 and 3 of the championship standings, followed by Herta, Rahal and Zach Veach. That is virtual racing Zach Veach, who is not related to VEACH. Although the last race sadly brought him closer to his usual form. Besides Veach, Jack Harvey and Conor Daly did surprisingly well so far, but none of these guys have former Road America results to write home about.

Did you make your picks already? Why not? https://fantasy.indycar.com

Who is running?

Spotter Guide

The field is virtually identical to last week’s Indianapolis GP, only some liveries have changed.

Josef Newgarden races a blue PAINTS scheme, Graham Rahal a black TOTAL one, Ferruccci is back to his usual SealMaster livery. Everyone else (no guarantees, maybe I overlooked someone Rinus Van Kalmthoud) will be racing his well known colours.

What else should we know about the Wisconsin race?

Most important: David Hasselhoff has no connections to the state, county, city or race track. And contrary to common – and his own – belief no one in Germany cares for him either.

But you wouldn’t be happy if I ignored him, would you?

Edited by H0R, 09 July 2020 - 15:18.

Advertisement

#2 Beri

Beri

• 11,668 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:04

Epic opening post!

And to be realistic, Berlin doesnt beg to differ to be the Bratwurst capital of the world. Its actually the Doner Kebab capital of the world. Kein witz!

Oh, and Im gonna put the Hoff on repeat the entire day!

Oh2, (O2 is the number two German Telecommunications provider) Gooooo VeeKay! :clap:

Edited by Beri, 09 July 2020 - 07:07.

#3 Frood

Frood

• 9,301 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:31

I always look forward to the Amerikaring.

#4 H0R

H0R

• 4,119 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:12

Amerikaring.

Dammit, I should have thought of this.

#5 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:47

Where do we actually race?

Road America could be translated as Straße Amerika. So it is basically das equivalent to the Autobahn:

Elkhartseering would have also been acceptable.

#6 rghojai

rghojai

• 2,010 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:44

Jim: Care to tell us about the lake?

#7 ANF

ANF

• 29,541 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:54

Lovely circuit map, H0R!

#8 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,268 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:35

Mein Gott, es ist ein Meisterwerk !!
Jp

#9 FLB

FLB

• 29,884 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:47

Lacks cheese... ;)

334ceb35-d549-5d1d-a5cb-b20605cec4e2.ima

https://madison.com/...1cc4c002e0.html

#10 paulb

paulb

• 11,263 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 15:44

Bump to page 1.

#11 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,834 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 15:59

I am very excited about two consecutive Road Americas. I didn't know I was excited about Germany trivia but it turns out I am. Based on the Indy GP the field looks very even so I'm very excited to see how Penske and Ganassi manage to colonize the top of the order once again.

#12 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 16:40

Epic opening post!

And to be realistic, Berlin doesn't beg to differ to be the Bratwurst capital of the world. Its actually the Doner Kebab capital of the world. Kein witz!

Episch indeed!   :up:

Isn't Berlin the home of the jam doughnut?   I never understood the comments that John F Kennedy had said he was a doughnut when he announced "Ich bin ein Berliner"  but very recently one of the supermarkets here started selling jam doughnuts called Berliners.  They look just like good old English jam doughnuts to me though.

#13 SKL

SKL

• 1,416 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 16:48

Can't wait!!   Never missed at least 1-3 times a summer at Road America from 1967 to 2018...    now it is a little more of trek from AZ than it was from IA.   But I'll be back!!

Edited by SKL, 09 July 2020 - 16:49.

#14 prommer

prommer

• 4,967 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 16:53

Vielen Danke HoR!  Super! When you grow up in the US Midwest, you get used to seeing Germanic influences all over the place and kind of take them for granted. But I would say it's especially important in Wisconsin because they have provided us not only with Käse but also with Bier and I don't think I could live without either!  

schlitz-milw-1969-mo-120-34-f.jpg

Here we race in a composed and efficient manner: 

Aaand this is where the comparisons between Indycar and Germany end.

#15 Beri

Beri

• 11,668 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 16:55

Episch indeed! :up:

Isn't Berlin the home of the jam doughnut? I never understood the comments that John F Kennedy had said he was a doughnut when he announced "Ich bin ein Berliner" but very recently one of the supermarkets here started selling jam doughnuts called Berliners. They look just like good old English jam doughnuts to me though.

Berliner doughnuts are called Berliner pfannkuchen (Berliner pancakes) in Zjermany. Which are absolutely delicious.
Happily Kennedy never went to Frankfurt and said "Ich bin ein Frankfurter". Because that's a sausage. Much like a hotdog but only bigger. Also very delicious.

#16 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 16:58

....they have provided us not only with Käse but also with Bier

A perfectly irreproachable source of beer culture of course, but if I was looking for a country on which to base my cheese products, Germany really wouldn't be high on the list!

#17 Beri

Beri

• 11,668 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 16:59

Netherlands, France or Switzerland are higher on my käse list.

#18 FLB

FLB

• 29,884 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 17:01

And so should be Wisconsin.

#19 prommer

prommer

• 4,967 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 17:04

A perfectly irreproachable source of beer culture of course, but if I was looking for a country on which to base my cheese products, Germany really wouldn't be high on the list!

Wha? I was going to argue this point but I just checked wiki and discovered that my favorite Wisconsin cheese, Muenster, has NOTHING to do with the German town of Münster at all!

I need to reexamine my life.

Advertisement

#20 ANF

ANF

• 29,541 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 17:04

Both USF2000 and both Indy Pro 2000 races are on Friday: 11:15 and 12:15; 14:30 and 15:30 local time.

#21 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,978 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 17:15

Berliner doughnuts are called Berliner pfannkuchen (Berliner pancakes) in Zjermany. Which are absolutely delicious.
Happily Kennedy never went to Frankfurt and said "Ich bin ein Frankfurter". Because that's a sausage. Much like a hotdog but only bigger. Also very delicious.

On a tour of Germany Bette Midler entered the stage in Frankfurt with a hot dog costume exclaiming "I am a Frankfurter". Deadly silence. She re-did the gig in Hamburg with a burger outfit. 'I am a Hamburger'. Deadly silence.

She asked her tour manager if she had offended people. No, the manager said. They just didn't get it....

#22 Beri

Beri

• 11,668 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 17:27

On a tour of Germany Bette Midler entered the stage in Frankfurt with a hot dog costume exclaiming "I am a Frankfurter". Deadly silence. She re-did the gig in Hamburg with a burger outfit. 'I am a Hamburger'. Deadly silence.

She asked her tour manager if she had offended people. No, the manager said. They just didn't get it....

The only German in history with a funny bone was Johnny Buchardt. The reason why is to find on YouTube if you search on his name and add the words "Karneval", "1973" and "köln".

Be warned; use headphones and don't be someone from the PC police.

#23 H0R

H0R

• 4,119 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 17:29

Wha? I was going to argue this point but I just checked wiki and discovered that my favorite Wisconsin cheese, Muenster, has NOTHING to do with the German town of Münster at all!

Could have told you, that's where I actually live.

What we do here is a particular beer (Pinkus Alt) that you find in Barneys Beanery in Los Angeles. Yes, the bar Janis Joplin spent her last evening at. Now it's  your turn to come up with a theory what killed her.

Edited by H0R, 09 July 2020 - 17:33.

#24 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,119 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 17:48

Na bitte, das ging doch alles wunderbar über die Bühne, mein Piefke-Kammerad!  :lol:  Ausgezeichnet gemacht.  :up:

ENDLICH wieder mal ein IndyAuto-Rennen!  Ich freue mich!  Potz Blitz, sogar ZWEI Rennen dieses Wochenende.  So sollte es doch immer sein! 

Gott (oder sonst halt Rüdiger Penske) erhalte IndyAuto!!  :love:  :love:

#25 LucaP

LucaP

• 1,478 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 18:38

Ich bin erstaunt, uber die Kurven diesen Strecken machen mussen, um unter jeder "Kohler" Brucke zu vorbeigehen

Edited by Luca Pacchiarini, 09 July 2020 - 18:38.

#26 Frood

Frood

• 9,301 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 18:42

Der letzte Deutsche IndyCar-Fahrer war Lucas Luhr in 2013. Sonoma. Ich habe ihm vergessen.

Entschuldingung Sie bitte mein Deutsch. Schule war ein lange Zeit vor...

#27 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,239 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 18:54

Scheiße, I can't read a thing on this page...

#28 prommer

prommer

• 4,967 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 19:29

I took four years of German in high school.

I can report that it has finally gone.

#esistabgeflugged

#29 FLB

FLB

• 29,884 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 19:34

Was René Binder the first Austrian in IndyCar since Hubert Stromberger?

Edited by FLB, 09 July 2020 - 19:34.

#30 Frood

Frood

• 9,301 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 21:13

Was René Binder the first Austrian in IndyCar since Hubert Stromberger?

I think so. I thought Patrick Friesacher might have turned up in ChampCar at some point but apparently he didn't. I think I'm mixing up ex-Red Bull/Minardi drivers and confusing him with Bobby Doorknobs.

#31 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,834 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 21:19

Btw if you search Google for Hubert Stromberger our 1995 Mid-Ohio thread turns up on page 4. I'm almost surprised it isn't higher...

#32 FLB

FLB

• 29,884 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 21:22

Vielen Danke HoR!  Super! When you grow up in the US Midwest, you get used to seeing Germanic influences all over the place and kind of take them for granted. But I would say it's especially important in Wisconsin because they have provided us not only with Käse but also with Bier and I don't think I could live without either!  

schlitz-milw-1969-mo-120-34-f.jpg

Aaand this is where the comparisons between Indycar and Germany end.

With Gusto.

#33 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,239 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 21:22

Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger Hubert Stromberger

Maybe this one will be higher up now.

#34 mangeliiito

mangeliiito

• 1,039 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 21:28

As a Swede I approve of the amount of ä used in the OP, which was excellent btw.
I'm going full patriotic and hoping for a full Chip Ganassi Racing podium x2. A girl can dream, can't she?

#35 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,268 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 21:53

Jag är med dig älskling !

sofiaJ.png

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 09 July 2020 - 21:58.

#36 prommer

prommer

• 4,967 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 21:53

Daniel Abt never actually made it to Indycar did he?

I still follow him on twitter for some reason.

#37 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 21:56

Daniel Abt never actually made it to Indycar did he?

I still follow him on twitter for some reason.

Neither did the guy who does his driving for him.

#38 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,268 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 22:01

Lots of cymbal crashes in this vaudeville thread already..

Jp

#39 LucaP

LucaP

• 1,478 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 22:18

The surname Penske must have a german origin uh?

Advertisement

#40 paulb

paulb

• 11,263 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 23:05

It is obvious from the OP that H0R is modest about his skills.

The Hoff tribute was very moving. RIR (rest in rust) to all steel Schlitz cans.

#41 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,036 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:30

As a Swede I approve of the amount of ä used in the OP, which was excellent btw.

With the lack of ÆØÅ... it just compounds that there are no Norwegians that are able to do well in open wheelers.

Also, what happened post-standings in the OP? Suddenly no more German  :cat:

H0R I see your Hasselhoff, and raises one Hasselhoff! I mean " English-language Swedish martial arts comedy featurette " with Hasselhoff singing a 80's style song in 2015. It's just so very Hasselhoff!

Edited by Myrvold, 10 July 2020 - 01:31.

#42 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 4,006 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:20

Ladies and Gentlemen, start... jump in your car

Btw, German ancestry seems very common in the US, this article https://www.nytimes....an-america.html mentions a figure of 46 million people with that background. Newgarden might be one of them, Josef with "F" could be a hint.

#43 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,268 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:25

His Mom is Ukrainian.
Jp

#44 H0R

H0R

• 4,119 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:27

The surname Penske must have a german origin uh?

To the best of my knowledge he is dutch.

#45 Beri

Beri

• 11,668 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:32

To the best of my knowledge he is dutch.

Wat zeg je me nou?

#46 jAnO76

jAnO76

• 484 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:55

It’s hit and mis here as well though..
DxM154RX0AA2XyW.jpg

#47 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,268 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:16

Peruvian are you jAn?
Jp

#48 jAnO76

jAnO76

• 484 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:45

Dutch... car in question is of the questionable coronel brothers....

#49 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:17

It’s hit and mis here as well though..
DxM154RX0AA2XyW.jpg

And that is molten cheeselike substance in a square cup. Bad example. :p

#50 jAnO76

jAnO76

• 484 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:22

And that is molten cheeselike substance in a square cup. Bad example. :p

Intended as an example of “mis” obviously ;-) it would be better if sold as a spray, something we could learn from the Americans