Photo

Cricket anyone?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:45

Just having seen an item of news about cricket I was wondering when was the last time F1 drivers were involved in the cricket matches? Having really no interest in the game I never followed them but I seem to recall they were held, to support charities I think.  I think Graham Hill was involved. When did they cease?

Perhaps the current crop of drivers might consider matches to support/publicise their cause of the day, Black Lives Matter. Any thoughts.

Advertisement

#2 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,545 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 13:01

Mark Webber is an all round sport fan and occasional BBC cricket commentator.

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,871 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 13:27

I think the last match was in 1974. Traditionally it was on the Sunday after the GP - and (IIRC) only when it was run at Brands Hatch. This is a David Phipps photo from 1974:

1017335806-SUT-19740720-DP+1974+R10Brita

Back Row (L to R): Ken Tyrrell, John Watson, Guy Edwards, Mike Hailwood, James Hunt, Graham Hill, Patrick Depailler, Peter Gethin, David Purley and Clay Regazzoni.
Front Row (L to R): Jody Scheckter, Derek Bell, Niki Lauda, Jackie Stewart, Ronnie Peterson, Jochen Mass and Denny Hulme.

And a Schlegelmich shot of Hunt in full flight ...

1015320690-SCH-19740720-74GB-Hunt01-A3.j

#4 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 13:39

I seem to recall older member of my motor club reminiscing about cricket matches behind the Red House pub at Warren Row in Berkshire that involved various racing celebrities.  Probably in the 1950s/60s?

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,871 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 13:41

GP Drivers' XI, 1968. They lost to Lord Brabourne's XI, which included a first year Cambridge student, one Windsor, CPAG ... not sure if he ever played for his school though. Does Gordonstoun even play cricket?

open-uri20121022-26337-yzpr3k.jpg

Back row, left-to-right: Les Leston, Richard Attwood, Piers Courage, Jochen Rindt, Graham Hill, Pedro Rodriguez, Denny Hulme, Charles Lucas, Robin Widdows, Peter Proctor and Peter Jopp. Front row: Innes Ireland, Bruce McLaren, Chris Amon, Stirling Moss and Colin Chapman.

Given the inclusion of Messrs Lucas, Proctor, Jopp and Chapman I guess the definition of 'GP drivers' may have been flexible! :lol:

#6 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 14:06

GP Drivers' XI, 1968. They lost to Lord Brabourne's XI, which included a first year Cambridge student, one Windsor, CPAG ... not sure if he ever played for his school though. Does Gordonstoun even play cricket?

open-uri20121022-26337-yzpr3k.jpg

Back row, left-to-right: Les Leston, Richard Attwood, Piers Courage, Jochen Rindt, Graham Hill, Pedro Rodriguez, Denny Hulme, Charles Lucas, Robin Widdows, Peter Proctor and Peter Jopp. Front row: Innes Ireland, Bruce McLaren, Chris Amon, Stirling Moss and Colin Chapman.

Given the inclusion of Messrs Lucas, Proctor, Jopp and Chapman I guess the definition of 'GP drivers' may have been flexible! :lol:

Given the inclusion of Jochen Rindt and Pedro Rodriguez perhaps the definition of cricketer may have been flexible too!  ;)

#7 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 14:35

Would rain have stopped play for Pedro?. And would all of todays drivers approve of the dress code?.

#8 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,871 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 15:46

Out of all of them, I reckon only Uncle Ken and perhaps NGH, Bruce and Denny are actually properly attired! Although Courage, Gethin and Jopp may perhaps be wearing cricket caps. NGH's is of course his London Rowing Club cap. And as Piers was an Old Etonian maybe his is his Eton house cap? Alamy has a picture of what looks like a similar cap, blazer and cricket sweater: https://www.alamy.co...e-75230510.html

#9 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,545 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 17:33

Regazzoni looks on, questioning whether every 'English' team makes a decent cup of tea...

#10 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 17:43

In all the pictures of post BGP matches, I've never noticed an appearance by Belgium's finest cricketer (?), Jacky Ickx.  Did he ever have a go?

#11 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 18:30

Don't they also have a cricket match as part of one of the Goodwood jollies - I think the FoS rather than the Revival.

#12 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 19:34

I think DCN's current avatar (which features the man himself behind the wicket) may be from just such an event

#13 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 902 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 00:48

8-F812088-9-E9-E-46-BD-8-B2-E-E4-D006226

‘Lord Amons’ First XIII, Bulls 1968

A bit scratchy which adds to the identification challenge ! 

#14 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:21

Crickets? The chirping variety, or Buddy Holly's gang?

Oh, bugger - just another stick'n'ball sport... :well: :down:

#15 opplock

opplock

• 951 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 10:57

A bit scratchy which adds to the identification challenge ! 

I'll make a start. From right - Pedro Rodriguez, Chris Amon, Piers Courage, Tim Parnell, Jim Clark, ? (partly obscured), Jim Palmer.    

#16 Paulleek

Paulleek

• 56 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 06:37

Don't they also have a cricket match as part of one of the Goodwood jollies - I think the FoS rather than the Revival.

It's on the Thursday prior to the Revival each year.

#17 Paulleek

Paulleek

• 56 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 06:39

I think DCN's current avatar (which features the man himself behind the wicket) may be from just such an event

Yes, Doug keeps wicket at the Revival cricket match.

#18 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 10:53

Yes, Doug keeps wicket at the Revival cricket match.

Are the England selectors aware? Jos Buttler clearly needs a break and, assuming Doug has honed his batting to Test standard, he could be just what the team needs.  Has anyone seen the lad bat? Will he keep up with Ollie Pope running between the wickets, or does he deal only in boundaries?

Someone needs to talk to the King of Spain. No, not that one.

#19 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 18:39

Actually I do vividly remember playing for England in several test matches - with, to be honest, patchy results - but each one ended the same way, with me waking up...  

Curiously enough, I have never ever dreamed - so far as I can recall - of driving in a Grand Prix.

The Revival cricket matches have been just wonderful - in stark contrast to the average skill level displayed, and to be honest without my presence that standard would doubtless improve...   :rolleyes:    

...Though maybe the average enthusiasm level might fall.  :cool: 

DCN

Advertisement

#20 Paulleek

Paulleek

• 56 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 19:06

Actually I do vividly remember playing for England in several test matches - with, to be honest, patchy results - but each one ended the same way, with me waking up...  

Curiously enough, I have never ever dreamed - so far as I can recall - of driving in a Grand Prix.

The Revival cricket matches have been just wonderful - in stark contrast to the average skill level displayed, and to be honest without my presence that standard would doubtless improve...   :rolleyes:    

DCN

You do yourself a disservice DCN. You keep wicket very well!

#21 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,871 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 20:03

DCN

I'm reminded of the self-deprecating humour of Jonners, who, when he kept wicket, confessed that he was known as the Ancient Mariner, because 'he stoppeth one of three' ...

#22 AJCee

AJCee

• 336 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 20:41

A decent average is what success in the game is all about!

#23 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 10:21

One of my non-motor-sport Desert Island Books is Cricket Prints (and More Cricket Prints) by R C Robertson-Glasgow.  He wrote of E W Brooks, who kept wicket for Surrey from 1927 to 1930:

"He was a sort of goalie-wicket-keeper, hurling himself sideways, generally to Gover's bowling, as if he was slipping a penalty-kick round the post, and balancing himself on his elbows in a mixed attitude of supplication and despair.  Then, rising smartly to his feet, he would take a quick but precise sideways "chassis" - one-two, one-two - and flip the ball up from his ribs in accurate parabola.  Then, offering some curious commentary to the slips, he would nimbly prepare again for what he inwardly, I think, always hoped would be the worst"

None of which has anything to do with Mr Nye's wicket keeping (I think) but I have wanted for a long time to quote R C R-G on TNF.

#24 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 11:08

That looks a fascinating read, Roger.  I've just finished the Bob Willis book so will take a further look at R C Robertson-Glasgow as I must currently be in cricket mode.

I should perhaps whisper this, but I've always believed that there are many better cricket books than motor racing ones.  There are only really a handful of motor racing books that I have truly been able to say were absolutely top notch.  That said, I do like the look of the new Pete Lyons Shadow tome.

#25 AJCee

AJCee

• 336 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 13:32

I should perhaps whisper this, but I've always believed that there are many better cricket books than motor racing ones. There are only really a handful of motor racing books that I have truly been able to say were absolutely top notch. That said, I do like the look of the new Pete Lyons Shadow tome.

I quite agree, it’s a sport that attracts some very fine, considered and insightful writing. Motor sport has its classics too, but like rugby, the standout books rise above a sea of mediocrity.
The spread of sports that form the themes for the William Hill sports book of the year follows that trend an award that certainly casts its net over a breadth of sports.

#26 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 22:27

Well, the batting side have plenty of time to think andcompose their memoirs.

That looks a fascinating read, Roger.  I've just finished the Bob Willis book so will take a further look at R C Robertson-Glasgow as I must currently be in cricket mode.

I should perhaps whisper this, but I've always believed that there are many better cricket books than motor racing ones.  There are only really a handful of motor racing books that I have truly been able to say were absolutely top notch.  That said, I do like the look of the new Pete Lyons Shadow tome.

Well, the batting side have plenty of time to do nothing more than carefully compose their memoirs or other writings on cricket.  Alternatively, they are probably better read than the average racing motorist or his ghost.

#27 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,874 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 03:56

Patrick Fletcher sent these through for inclusion. Jimmy improving upon his bowling, batting and Scottish suntan!

Lords Amon 1968 - bowling from the Hydrangea end

1968-Lords-Amon-J-Clark-01.jpg

and batting later in the day

1968-Lords-Amon-J-Clark-02.jpg

Stephen

#28 AJCee

AJCee

• 336 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 08:36

Are those London Underground sponsored shorts?
Nowadays of course the crates would light up when the ball struck them...

#29 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 21:53

Patrick Fletcher sent these through for inclusion. Jimmy improving upon his bowling, batting and Scottish suntan!

Lords Amon 1968 - bowling from the Hydrangea end

1968-Lords-Amon-J-Clark-01.jpg

and batting later in the day

1968-Lords-Amon-J-Clark-02.jpg

Stephen

Based on his grip, I suspect Jim was attempting a flipper, and possibly a back foot drive in the latter photo?

#30 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 04:16

I'll make a start. From right - Pedro Rodriguez, Chris Amon, Piers Courage, Tim Parnell, Jim Clark, ? (partly obscured), Jim Palmer.    

And Jim is about 30 years premature with a WHITE ball!

#31 opplock

opplock

• 951 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:14

And Jim is about 30 years premature with a WHITE ball!

I suspect that use of a cricket ball was prohibited for fear of the local newspaper printing a shock horror expose about a gang of Pommie hooligans invading the neighbourhood and breaking windows. 

No-one able to identify the other players?