• Please log in to reply
413 replies to this topic

#1 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,942 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 19:24

Ocon after today’s race...

https://streamable.com/pgyfww

Quite refreshing to hear the team putting him in his place and telling him to keep it for the debrief discussions. The only reason to make these sort of radio communications is because the driver knows they will be played out over the world feed and want to shame the team - I’m not sure what employer would be happy with this.

That coupled with the sweary rants, with them calling each other ****** and **** **** ... some of these guys could doubtless go a bit quicker if they took their fingers off the radio button and concentrated on the road.

Advertisement

#2 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,119 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 19:47

Ocon is a bit of a tool, isn't he?

#3 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,036 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 19:50

Not sure what was wrong with this. I hadn't heard this, only read about it on the forum here, and I actually thought Ocon was going on a rant after the race. He wasn't.

I wonder how they will deal with Alonso...

#4 Frood

Frood

• 9,301 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 19:54

I can understand Ocon's frustration. He was ahead of Gasly in the first part of the race and to see him win must be frustrating. I actually feel like having the race engineer and team principal jumping on him immediately wasn't particularly fair from Renault.

I hope this isn't just another excuse for "Ocon bad".

Edited by Frood, 06 September 2020 - 19:55.

#5 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,119 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 20:05

Ocon bad.

I dunno, he never struck me as a team player, and always seemed to have an air of entitlement about him.  Now he's getting his ass handed to him by his team mate (again), and just wait until Alonso is done with him.  2021 may be his final year in F1.   ;)

#6 Fisico54

Fisico54

• 1,008 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 20:07

Can't really see what Ocon said wrong there

#7 Calum

Calum

• 1,138 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 20:08

I've always thought he's come across pretty well in Sky post-race/post-quali interviews.

Don't think he's wrong here but can see Renault's point. 

#8 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 20:08

Can't really see what Ocon said wrong there

He was about to have the mother of all whinges and was rightfully shut down. You discuss these things internally and protect your team when there’s a mistake.

#9 Piif

Piif

• 1,806 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 20:10

He was about to have the mother of all whinges and was rightfully shut down. You discuss these things internally and protect your team when there’s a mistake.

Unless you're Lewis Hamilton or Max Verstappen.

#10 Kev00

Kev00

• 4,656 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 20:10

I can understand Ocon's frustration. He was ahead of Gasly in the first part of the race and to see him win must be frustrating. I actually feel like having the race engineer and team principal jumping on him immediately wasn't particularly fair from Renault.

I hope this isn't just another excuse for "Ocon bad".

Lots of cars were ahead of Gasly early in the race. If it wasn’t for the rare occurrence of the pit lane being closed then Gasly would have lost out even more to his rivals. Normally it’s best to pit under SC but the early stoppers lucked into their positions. Ocon was in the same predicament as his teammate and the McLaren’s and he finished behind them. No point in complaining about the team.

#11 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 1,554 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 20:16

Ocon bad.

I dunno, he never struck me as a team player, and always seemed to have an air of entitlement about him.  Now he's getting his ass handed to him by his team mate (again), and just wait until Alonso is done with him.  2021 may be his final year in F1.   ;)

On the contrary, I never got that sense of entitlement from Ocon. He’s come from very humble beginnings and was almost out of racing altogether before he got picked up by Mercedes, and seems to have taken a bit of an “us against the world” attitude from that – but I’d argue that’s not at all a bad thing for someone who aims to operate at the highest level in his sport. His Beyond the Grid interview from 2018 is also always worth a listen. Alas, as I already echoed in the Renault thread, I don’t think he was out fo line today at all. Drivers should still be allowed to air their thoughts over the radio.

#12 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 20:19

Nice to see a bit of professionalism on the radio to be honest.

#13 FLB

FLB

• 29,888 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 20:20

On the contrary, I never got that sense of entitlement from Ocon. He’s come from very humble beginnings and was almost out of racing altogether before he got picked up by Mercedes, and seems to have taken a bit of an “us against the world” attitude from that – but I’d argue that’s not at all a bad thing for someone who aims to operate at the highest level in his sport. His Beyond the Grid interview from 2018 is also always worth a listen. Alas, as I already echoed in the Renault thread, I don’t think he was out fo line today at all. Drivers should still be allowed to air their thoughts over the radio.

To me, he didn't react because he was seeking to chastise the team. 

He reacted because he was being fed utter BS on radio for appearances' sake.

Edited by FLB, 06 September 2020 - 20:22.

#14 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,942 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 20:21

It’s good to hear someone telling them to shut up - even the f1 ‘best of team radio’ videos on YouTube are usually full of them just calling all the other drivers bastards and ****s.

#15 Leibowitz

Leibowitz

• 814 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 20:23

Both of them are immensely more talented than Ocon, so I wouldn’t hold that against them.

#16 Frood

Frood

• 9,301 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 20:23

Ocon bad.

I dunno, he never struck me as a team player, and always seemed to have an air of entitlement about him. Now he's getting his ass handed to him by his team mate (again), and just wait until Alonso is done with him. 2021 may be his final year in F1.  ;)

Agree to disagree with you on this one, Max. :p Can understand why Ocon comes across as a bad team player though.

Oddly, wasn't that one of the reasons Ocon went to Force India over Wehrlein? The team apparently didn't like Wehrlein's attitude on the radio or off the track.

#17 messy

messy

• 7,501 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 20:28

I think Ocon just has one of those faces. He just invites irrational dislike for some reason.

#18 Piif

Piif

• 1,806 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 20:45

Both of them are immensely more talented than Ocon, so I wouldn’t hold that against them.

They are but it just shows you the level of hypocrisy. If Lewis had done that, it would've been him taking control of the team or other rubbish like that. Double standards.

#19 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 20:47

Hamilton never throws his team under the bus on the radio since Mercedes. Today the pit wall lost him the race and he even took ownership of the situation in interviews.
Max too never throws his team under the bus on radio. He might occasionally moan in interviews afterwards but that’s a rare occurrence.

Advertisement

#20 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 20:57

For the team to answer him like that there must have been a lot going on beforehand.

#21 McLaren

McLaren

• 1,123 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 21:04

Tbh if anything, his engineer was the one that sounded really rude. He could have  said, "I agree.. let's discuss this after the race".. instead of ordering Ocon around and sounding slightly confrontational. I think a driver and a race engineer should be a partnership rather than someone on the other end sitting on the pit wall bossing a driver around. Of course there could be a lot more going on behind the scenes that I don't know.. but the engineer needs to chill.

#22 Yamamoto

Yamamoto

• 1,930 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 21:07

Obviously missing some context because I'm not sure what he thinks he missed out on apart from blind luck. Best guess is that he had been asking to pit before the first safety car came out.

#23 w1Y

w1Y

• 10,626 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 21:13

Frustration that he couldn't keep up with ric and felt he was entitled to be the winner when a surprise result pops up.

Who knows but clearly this was something they were expecting because they shot him down straight away

#24 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 21:22

Max is usually pretty good for radio conversations:

:up:

#25 Squeed

Squeed

• 2,544 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 21:50

I think Ocon just has one of those faces. He just invites irrational dislike for some reason.

He’s the only guy on the grid capable of making Stroll seem likable 

#26 H0R

H0R

• 4,119 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 21:54

You had your time, you had the power
You've yet to have your finest hour

#27 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,691 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 21:56

Not sure what was wrong with this. I hadn't heard this, only read about it on the forum here, and I actually thought Ocon was going on a rant after the race. He wasn't.

I know a lot of people keep making the prediction of fireworks and seem to be hoping for that, but I think they'll be disappointed. Alonso and the team have already stated they're looking to 2022 and have no expectations for 2021.

#28 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,691 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 22:00

Max is usually pretty good for radio conversations:

:up:

Max not in love with the Honda PU? Just imagine if Alonso had said the same thing...

Edited by AustinF1, 06 September 2020 - 23:00.

#29 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,036 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 22:56

Oddly, wasn't that one of the reasons Ocon went to Force India over Wehrlein? The team apparently didn't like Wehrlein's attitude on the radio or off the track.

Yup, while Wehrlein seemed to be quite liked at Sauber.

Obviously missing some context because I'm not sure what he thinks he missed out on apart from blind luck. Best guess is that he had been asking to pit before the first safety car came out.

Maybe the choice to use the soft tyres after the red flag? While it's likely, we didn't even get to hear if he was going to say something about himself or the team either. It was all very weird.

I know a lot of people keep making the prediction of fireworks and seem to be hoping for that, but I think they'll be disappointed. Alonso and the team have already stated they're looking to 2022 and have no expectations for 2021.

That's no guarantee for Renault... eh... Alpine, being a success in 2022 though. My point was, that it didn't sound like they were tolerating much other than agreement there.

#30 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,691 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 22:59

Yup, while Wehrlein seemed to be quite liked at Sauber.

Maybe the choice to use the soft tyres after the red flag? While it's likely, we didn't even get to hear if he was going to say something about himself or the team either. It was all very weird.

That's no guarantee for Renault... eh... Alpine, being a success in 2022 though. My point was, that it didn't sound like they were tolerating much other than agreement there.

No, of course there's no guarantee of success, but I don;t think that was what we were talking about re: Alonso. I hear this over and over "Look at Renault. Man, just wait til Alonso gets there and lets them have it on the radio". I don't see that happening. He knows what he's signed up for.

#31 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 23:00

Or Vettel, or Leclerc or anyone really, everyone has had a moan at some point, Ocon just telling it like ti is, the pitwall putting on the PR face, must get frustrating.

Ocon backed down in the end, so he did the right thing anyway, but no probs hearing his frustration.

#32 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,036 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 23:08

Heh, so this was the reason behind the radio message. https://www.racefans...adio-complaint/

Esteban Ocon was unable to used his preferred tyre compound at the restart in the Italian Grand Prix because the team had not warmed them up.
Ocon was one of few drivers to restart the race on the soft tyre compound, which was not his preference. “Of course we had in mind to get a good start with those soft tyres,” he said. “Unfortunately, my medium set was not ready to go.
“We couldn’t choose it, otherwise we would have done. So it was very good pace the first two laps but on the third lap, it did degrade quite significantly. I was not obviously so happy about the balance and how things evolved after that.
“So I think if we had to do it again, we would have chosen the medium but obviously they were not ready and in condition.”

So I can kinda understand him on the radio, but damn he was swiftly shut down for this.

#33 HerbieMcQueen

HerbieMcQueen

• 1,574 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 23:17

I would suggest the question should instead be posed, how will Alonso deal with them? He has a unique way of ingratiating himself into a team, for better and worse.

#34 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 23:59

No, of course there's no guarantee of success, but I don;t think that was what we were talking about re: Alonso. I hear this over and over "Look at Renault. Man, just wait til Alonso gets there and lets them have it on the radio". I don't see that happening. He knows what he's signed up for.

Alonso is a pretty emotional dude. If he will be frustrated, and trust me sometimes he will because occasionally he will only scrap for lower points finishes which is far below his level, he will vent. No matter what he said beforehand.

#35 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,691 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 00:04

Alonso is a pretty emotional dude. If he will be frustrated, and trust me sometimes he will because occasionally he will only scrap for lower points finishes which is far below his level, he will vent. No matter what he said beforehand.

We'll see. I mean, I know he's emotional, but he speaks the truth. That's very often not a bad thing and in many cases is exactly what is needed. 

#36 FLB

FLB

• 29,888 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 00:07

We'll see. I mean, I know he's emotional, but he speaks the truth. That's very often not a bad thing and in many cases is exactly what is needed. 

Well, for all its entertainment value (for us) 'GP2 engine... GP2... Yeah!' on the radio was perhaps not the wisest thing Fernando Alonso Diaz has ever said in his life...

#37 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,193 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 00:19

Team is talking PR friendly BS, whilst a driver completely was nowhere to capitalize on arguably his best chance of a podium, when they were going into the weekend hoping for an outside chance of a podium. To just shut him up like that is BS  :down:  Try talking down to Alonso, when he arrives. You'll burn on a stake in the town square of world television when that happens.

#38 ATM

ATM

• 1,074 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 00:32

Was Luca de Meo in the team garage today? That would be one reason for the pit wall’s reaction.
As for Alonso and his...err...larger than usual mouth and honesty, I don’t remember any team principal putting him on the stake when his driver parked the car in the wall or chipped it on track. Not that Alonso damaged the car too often anyway, but there were some instances where he returned the item in less than stellar condition nevertheless.

#39 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,307 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 00:38

I do think drivers should be able to vent but still... Ricciardo is a great driver who deserves all the plaudits he gets and I do expect Ocon struggle to do better than he is doing.

Edited by Spillage, 07 September 2020 - 00:39.

Advertisement

#40 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,691 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 02:22

Well, for all its entertainment value (for us) 'GP2 engine... GP2... Yeah!' on the radio was perhaps not the wisest thing Fernando Alonso Diaz has ever said in his life...

Maybe not for him or his fans, but I do believe it lit a fire under Honda's collective ass.

#41 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,180 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 02:36

Hamilton never throws his team under the bus on the radio since Mercedes. Today the pit wall lost him the race and he even took ownership of the situation in interviews.
Max too never throws his team under the bus on radio. He might occasionally moan in interviews afterwards but that’s a rare occurrence.

Today's Quiz - count the F words"

http://youtu.be/vYiI1UsYagQ

Edited by Rodaknee, 07 September 2020 - 02:36.

#42 Arundo

Arundo

• 2,712 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:38

I dont like Ocon at all, he`s smug and entitled.

But here I dont see much wrong, just a driver venting.

Bit strange for Renault to shut him up like that, good luck with Alonso next year. 

#43 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 06:40

Ocon have manners and ego of at least triple world champion. The problem is, he never was on the F1 podium. Some self-adjusting will never hurt.

#44 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:20

there's a reason a lot of drivers dislike this guy

#45 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,806 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:46

Ocon is an imature kid. Stroll with his pay driver daddy's son shadow is getting much respect from me. 

Ocon has talent but not that much, he's being trashed by Ricciardo and will be by Alonso. Yet he keeps on acting like a primadonna. 

#46 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,514 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:03

Ocon is a very unlikeable guy somehow. 

He should do the talking on track, but unfortunately for him he doesn't. 

#47 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,714 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:10

I think the team were right to want to keep the discussion in private later so what they did was fine.

But most drivers have whined of the radio before so I wonder if this is people who already dislike Ocon using this as a cheap opportunity. There has been some implication that it's somehow more acceptable if it comes from a better driver. Makes no difference. Completely irrelevant.

#48 Fisico54

Fisico54

• 1,008 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:12

Really struggle to understand the hatred for Ocon, what has he done apart from not getting on with Verstappen and Perez?

Could have made comments last year when he got screwed out of a seat but didn't or how he's had to struggle into f1 despite beating Verstappen handily in f3.

Really he's one of the better stories as he's not from a wealthy background or been groomed by a f1 team from early on

#49 Arundo

Arundo

• 2,712 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:12

Well Hamilton is called whiny and Max is called petulant and aggresive on the radio so its not only for Ocon. 
I do agree that it comes with if you like the driver or not, but then again thats how things go on a fanforum. 

#50 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:25

Well Hamilton is called whiny and Max is called petulant and aggresive on the radio so its not only for Ocon. 
I do agree that it comes with if you like the driver or not, but then again thats how things go on a fanforum. 

You can spare Hamilton and Max because they deliver. Ocon does not.