- - - - -

2020 Russian Grand Prix - build up thread

• Please log in to reply
1062 replies to this topic

#1 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:19

I know, I know. This is one of the races that everybody loves to hate. But in the hellscape that is 2020 we should probably be a bit more appreciative of anything we can get. In the end, a race is a race.

After the frantic initial schedule of three triple-headers it's time for F1 to slow down a bit. This will almost be like a little breather - just one race with a week gap before and after. How quaint! It's also expected that fans will be able to attend in greater numbers here. The organisers made around 30,000 tickets available and supposedly those were sold out, but with the current situation changing every day it remains to be seen exactly how many will fill the grandstands. 

To relive some of last year's action, here's Leclerc's pole lap. How different will it be for him just one year after...

And of course, the official highlights:

image.jpg

The 5.85 km circuit hosts F1 races since 2014. All of them were won by Mercedes, something that's not likely to change this year without some unexpected craziness. Despite Lewis Hamilton winning the last two, it's known as one of the best circuits for Valtteri Bottas - if he wants to stay in the championship fight, now would be a perfect time to start making some ground up. On the other hand Lewis will have a chance to equal Michael Schumacher's record of 91 race wins - I would advise everyone to mentally prepare to hear about it around five thousand times during this week's coverage.

Current standings:

Ehz3-OPKX0-AAKEg3.jpg

Eh0bv-Au-Xc-Ag5-HP6.png

As for the tyres, with Sochi being easy on them it will unsurprisingly feature the three softest compounds in the Pirelli range.

Eic-Fg37-Wk-AEgfk-Y.jpg

F3 already wrapped up its season in Mugello, but F1 will still be accompanied by F2 here. That championship is very close and it will be the last round before the season-ending two in Bahrain, so if you follow the top junior series you don't want to miss it. 

The timetable this weekend is not of the standard European variety, so it's worth paying some attention to before we get to the action.

Friday, Sep 25th

9:00 - F1 FP1

12:00 - F2 Qualifying

13:00 - F1 FP2

Saturday, Sep 26th

8:15 - F2 Feature race

10:00 - F1 FP3

13:00 - F1 Qualifying

Sunday, Sep 27th

8:55 - F2 Sprint race

12:10 - F1 Race

All times UK time aka GMT+1, for your own timezone check out https://www.formula1...020/Russia.html

Advertisement

#2 Beri

Beri

• 11,667 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:38

Nice OP Anja  :up:

Its good to see someone can make an OP out of a turd of a race.

My OP would only have said:

Putin's Grand Prix.. Discuss.

Edited by Beri, 22 September 2020 - 08:39.

#3 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:45

F2 schedule all mixed up from normal routine
Plan accordingly!!
Jp

PS. Anja is due an Indycar OP.

#4 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,683 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:48

Google > famous russian sayings

> 12 Russian proverbs to get you through the World Cup

(ok sure, that will do)

"If you like to sled, you have to like to drag the sledge."

This weekend we are dragging the sledge :D

#5 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,974 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:11

Henceforth the 'official' driver standing picture should be known simply as 'The Kebab'

Chicken-Kebabs-4.jpg

#6 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:15

Very well said, Anja: a race is a race.

This is the only time I am actually rooting for Bottas to win. My dream scenario is for Hamilton to equal the record at the Nurburgring and then surpass it at Imola. I am all about the symbolism.

Looking forward to the F2 races most of all. Time for Bobby to shine.

#7 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:15

Sochi getting a earlier build up thread than most other GPs. 2020, why? :p

Merc should walk it. It's supposed to be Bottas' best track, but Hamilton had him under control last year and appeared quicker the year before until he spun in Q3.

Also dont wanna have this track to get the record honor. I second what Ov said. :p

Edited by Marklar, 22 September 2020 - 09:16.

#8 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,870 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:16

Henceforth the 'official' driver standing picture should be known simply as 'The Kebab'

Chicken-Kebabs-4.jpg

On the top of the stick to the far left, Grosjean was the paprika. But you know Grosjean...

#9 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:16

Netflix with Mercedes...cluster**** inevitable!

#10 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:29

Ah,Sochi time again.

Looking on the bright side, it should mean that Putin will put off annexing Estonia or poisoning anyone prominent until at least Thursday of next week.

Not a Russian proverb, but an old London one "After the Lord Mayor's Show, comes the dustcart"  For every Mugello, we must suffer a  Sochi.

#11 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:49

F2 schedule all mixed up from normal routine
Plan accordingly!!
Jp

PS. Anja is due an Indycar OP.

I am already expecting to forget and sleep over the F2 feature race. :(

#12 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,554 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:06

More interested in F2 this weekend to be honest. 

#13 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,259 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:11

Red Bull have this.....

#14 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,484 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:19

It's just an awful circuit for racing to be honest, and it doesn't look great on TV either.

Tyres are a step softer than last year which might throw a curve ball? The only interesting thing about the circuit is the super long run to turn 1/2 off the grid.

Whereas Mugello has very abrasive tarmac, the tarmac here is super smooth. I expect even the softest tyre will do half the race.

#15 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,683 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:45

I don't mind if LH matches the record here, because I think beating the record will be the real highlight, and we have avoided that!

Tyres are a step softer than last year which might throw a curve ball?

Softer than 2019 but the same as 2018 - I recall a bizarre Q2 where only 10/15 cars set a lap-time, albeit that was affected by some Red Bull engine penalties as well.

Once again I think this circuit exposes the weaknesses of the three-compound rule. If we ran C5-C4 only, we'd have a much more exciting weekend, but the C3 turns it into an easy one-stop for everyone!

#16 messy

messy

• 7,499 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:48

God I hate this track and this race. What a miserable, depressing concrete jungle this track is and it doesn't even create good racing. 

I suppose I'd rather have a race here than nothing, but it's a close call. 

#17 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:03

God I hate this track and this race. What a miserable, depressing concrete jungle this track is and it doesn't even create good racing. 

I suppose I'd rather have a race here than nothing, but it's a close call. 

With the N24 this weekend, I'd rather we didn't have Sochi as well - GTs on the Nordschleife is infinitely preferable to me than F1 at Sochi with Putin handing-out the winner's trophy.

#18 baddog

baddog

• 29,768 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:11

Yeah bad race track in a place I would prefer they didnt go.

Last year was a joke in pretty much all ways, especially now we know about Ferrari. Maybe it will be less crap this time.

#19 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:19

How about a real Russian proverb ( Which I use all the time)
Беда никогда не приходит одна
Jp

Advertisement

#20 ANF

ANF

• 29,536 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 13:03

I guess Jean and Chase are proud to bring Formula One back to the Sochi Olympic Park year after year?

#21 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 13:12

It is now or never for Bottas.

He won't be given any chances.

#22 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,910 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 13:23

This track needs more 90° corners

#23 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 13:30

This track's only saving grace is Bottas tends to be good here.

I think. Have tried to erase most of my memories of previous Russian GPS.

#24 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 13:39

I know, I know. This is one of the races that everybody loves to hate. But in the hellscape that is 2020 we should probably be a bit more appreciative of anything we can get. In the end, a race is a race.

Nice OP Anja  :up:

Its good to see someone can make an OP out of a turd of a race.

My OP would only have said:

Putin's Grand Prix.. Discuss.

Nope .... I am looking forward to this race ....not only to see anti Putin people triggered when he makes an appearance .... but more importantly this year - there is a better than 50% chance that LH will tie the Micheal's record of 91 wins .... a feat no one thought possible even just 5 years ago. 

And so, hell yeah! I'm looking forward to the 2020 Russian GP.  

#25 FLB

FLB

• 29,880 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 13:55

How about a real Russian proverb ( Which I use all the time)
Беда никогда не приходит одна
Jp

You mean like this poor F1Cat, who not only has to suffer through terrible 'signing', but also through the indignity of having a flower put on top of his head?

#26 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 14:00

Netflix with Mercedes...cluster**** inevitable!

Stop jinxing it  :mad:  ....  ;)

#27 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,514 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 14:02

Stop jinxing it  :mad:  ....  ;)

Are we complaining about jinxing the jinx now?  :clap:

#28 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 14:04

Nope .... I am looking forward to this race ....not only to see anti Putin people triggered when he makes an appearance .... but more importantly this year - there is a better than 50% chance that LH will tie the Micheal's record of 91 wins .... a feat no one thought possible even just 5 years ago. 

Forgive me, but I'm confused by this philosophy.  Why support somene just because he antagonises others? 

#29 Beri

Beri

• 11,667 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 14:15

That the record is going to be taken is something certain. It's history in the making and yes the actual event of this happening is something that I look forward too as well.

Yet the race itself is dull, boring, uninspiring and simply an annoying race. So I'm still not looking forward to the race.

#30 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 14:27

Forgive me, but I'm confused by this philosophy. Why support somene just because he antagonises others?

He’s an enigma all right..
Jp

#31 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 15:19

Forgive me, but I'm confused by this philosophy.  Why support somene just because he antagonises others? 

He’s an enigma all right..
Jp

With the greatest respect to both of you.... what I said was clear once you just read it - instead of reading into it ....

1. I am look forward to the race.

2. One of the reasons (tongue in cheek) is Putin will make an appearance and that will trigger his haters...

None of that is supporting anyone ... but I do note that most of Putin's haters tend to turn a blind eye to, say, events in Yemen (the world's worst human rights crisis according to the UN) or the autocracy in Bahrain (where there is a royal family kept in place by the grossest repression and not even pretence at democracy) .... so I enjoy seeing them triggered by the presence of Putin as I consider most of them to be hypocrites who are selective in their outrage.

But to be clear .... if youre not a hypocrite and you condemn all autocrats equally, and you heart bleeds for all human rights abuses no matter whether the perpetrators are western aligned or not .... then you dont need to take offence, I am not talking about you.  

#32 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 15:27

salt is delicious

#33 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 15:32

With the greatest respect to both of you.... what I said was clear once you just read it - instead of reading into it ....

1. I am look forward to the race.

2. One of the reasons (tongue in cheek) is Putin will make an appearance and that will trigger his haters...

None of that is supporting anyone ... but I do note that most of Putin's haters tend to turn a blind eye to, say, events in Yemen (the world's worst human rights crisis according to the UN) or the autocracy in Bahrain (where there is a royal family kept in place by the grossest repression and not even pretence at democracy) .... so I enjoy seeing them triggered by the presence of Putin as I consider most of them to be hypocrites who are selective in their outrage.

But to be clear .... if youre not a hypocrite and you condemn all autocrats equally, and you heart bleeds for all human rights abuses no matter whether the perpetrators are western aligned or not .... then you dont need to take offence, I am not talking about you.  

With respect, that wasn't what you said.  You put all "anti-Putin people" in one group, saying that you wanted them to be angered by him likely being there, without giving any indication that you meant those who didn't mind a GP in Bahrain while, at the same time, disliking Putin.  Consequently, your intended point was unclear to me.

#34 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 15:34

Ah,Sochi time again.

Looking on the bright side, it should mean that Putin will put off annexing Estonia or poisoning anyone prominent until at least Thursday of next week.

Not a Russian proverb, but an old London one "After the Lord Mayor's Show, comes the dustcart"  For every Mugello, we must suffer a  Sochi.

You truly believe all you read about Russia's intentions? Not a bad idea to broaden our news sources. It's all a game albeit a dangerous one

#35 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 15:38

I like politics, when I read the newspaper or when I discuss it with friends.

For sports, I think it's best to keep it separated. Especially as there is a lot to say about 50% of the countries we race in. Let's talk about how the super smooth asphalt will help Bottas winning this race and keeping Hamilton away from the elusive 91th! :)

#36 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 15:38

Too bad so many of Putin’s russian ‘haters’ end up poisoned and/or dead. It would make the weeekend more enjoyable to jj if these haters were available to be triggered by the sporting propaganda. Each to its own.

/tongue in cheek

Races are better than no races up to a certain point. I think NASCAR has too many races and so does F1.

The best I can expect this weekend is for Lewis to win and Bottas to DNF. The sooner the title is wrapped up the sooner we might just see guys unleashed and drive with more anger.

#37 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 15:39

salt is delicious

That's another modern thing I just don't get - any form of dissent or complaint is laughed-at as just the person being "salty" without any nuance as to whether the dissent is warranted or not.

Edited by cpbell, 22 September 2020 - 15:40.

#38 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 15:42

You truly believe all you read about Russia's intentions? Not a bad idea to broaden our news sources. It's all a game albeit a dangerous one

Didn't Russia annexe the Crimea or was that just a media fabrication?  Didn't they try to engineer gold medals in multiple sports by injecting their athletes with every steroid and cardiovascular drug known to man?

#39 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 15:48

All I read? No.  But enough to know that the current regime will stop at nothing to achieve its aims.  Hacking, invading, poisoning, imprisoning, all the tactics of a totalitarian regime.  At least when it was the Soviet Union, it  had some sort of ideological principles behind its policies.  Now it is just plain criminality.

Advertisement

#40 Fastonslicks

Fastonslicks

• 80 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 15:57

Theres worst theres Abu Dhabi with the title already sealed and no track action. 

#41 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 16:07

I hope LuLu get his 91st.
Jp

#42 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 16:10

Time to whip out the gay pride shirts.

#43 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,554 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 16:31

Even though it's a bland looking track that produces boring races I actually enjoy driving it in the F1 games. It has a much better rhythm than most modern tracks.

I'm really not expecting much from this race other than another easy win for Lewis.

#44 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 16:33

I hope the people who complain that F1 shouldn't be political aren't watching this.

#45 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 16:36

'my side is winning so **** you'

#46 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 16:44

Even though it's a bland looking track that produces boring races I actually enjoy driving it in the F1 games. It has a much better rhythm than most modern tracks.

I'm really not expecting much from this race other than another easy win for Lewis.

This is Bottas' ultimate track, plus Valtteri has been strong in qualifying this year. He has to be the favorite for the win.

Edited by Jovanotti, 22 September 2020 - 18:23.

#47 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 17:39

Valtteri’s race to lose imo.

Gap with RB should be a bit bigger.

RB usually are very poor on Sochi.

#48 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 18:19

Stop jinxing it ....

#49 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 18:19

Valtteri’s race to lose imo.

Gap with RB should be a bit bigger.

RB usually are very poor on Sochi.

That's the spirit ...

#50 dissident

dissident

• 1,620 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 18:21

This is a Bottas' ultimate track, plus Valtteri has been strong in qualifying this year. He has to be the favorite for the win.

Pole is not an advantage here, though.