Photo
- - - - -

FP1 tests for Ilott, Schumacher and Shwartzman: Ferrari shootout?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Obligatory poll (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these should drive for Ferrari in 3 years' time?

1. Callum Ilott (5 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Mick Schumacher (33 votes [50.77%])

Percentage of vote: 50.77%

3. Robert Shwartzman (11 votes [16.92%])

Percentage of vote: 16.92%

4. None of the above: back to the galleys with them! (16 votes [24.62%])

Percentage of vote: 24.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,843 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 14:34

Ferrari have put out a press release saying that three of their Academy members -- F2 drivers Callum Ilott, Mick Schumacher and Robert Shwartzman -- will be having a run-out in various satellite F1 teams at the Eifel and Abu Dhabi GPs. The three of them have already had the seat fittings last weekend at Sochi and are going to take a 2018-spec Ferrari for a spin at Fiorano tomorrow. Not the first time Ilott and Schumacher have been behind the wheel of a Formula One car, although Shwartzman is an absolute beginner.

A shootout for one or more of the remaining seats at Alfa and Haas? Ferrari are certainly hinting at it, with these words from the Scuderia's Sporting Director Laurent Mekies

"We wanted to organise this test session so that our three best youngsters would be as well prepared as possible to tackle an event that will always be a special moment for them. It will be a chance to get to grips with a Formula 1 car, which is much more complicated than the car they are currently used to driving.

I would like to thank Haas and Alfa Romeo Racing for offering Callum, Mick and Robert this opportunity. We believe strongly in our Academy, which has already proved its value, with Charles Leclerc, a driver on which the Scuderia can build its long term future.

Callum, Mick and Robert have already proved their worth in the current Formula 2 season and this test is a further step in their education."

These young driver tests are always interesting so I thought it's worth having a thread to follow along.

https://www.ferrari....x-weekend-debut

Advertisement

#2 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 14:44

Which of these should drive for Ferrari in 3 years' time?

Theo Pourchaire, he is a Alfa junior, so it's basically the same  :p

Will be Mick though, either on merit or for marketing. He will most likely be good enough to be a good support driver for Leclerc, so you can easily justify it in the latter case.

I dont see a sustainable F1 career for Illot, let alone at Ferrari. No major backer beyond Ferrari, and they will possibly have more young drivers coming through that will overtake him in the pecking order. He also is not particulary talented either. But maybe he gets one season and if he is impressing maybe he can stick around as a good midfielder.

I see Shwartzman as the most talented of the three, you have to consider that it's his rookie season, but I dont expect him to make it to Ferrari, but certainly he will land in F1, if not on pure talent, then on sponsorship.

Edited by Marklar, 29 September 2020 - 14:44.

#3 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 14:49

Answering this poll honestly is a bit early at this point. F2 is one thing, but how they do in F1 is another.

They can each end up performing like Leclerc or like Giovinazzi.

So who should drive for Ferrari in 3 years time? The one that does the best job with the opportunity he receives in F1, be that at Alfa or at Haas.

#4 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 14:52

Probably for Kimi's replacement at Alfa

#5 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,307 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 15:01

I would't be surprised to see both Schumacher annd Ilott on the grid next year, at Alfa and Haas respectively. I think Schwartzmann would benefit from another year in F2 and to be honest so would Ilott if he doesn't win the title.

Who should driver for Ferrari in 3 years' time? I have no idea :D RIght now I'd say none of them, they need to prove themselves in F1 first.

#6 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 15:02

oh god, I was just watching the French Open on Eurosport here in Germany. And the commentary went all of a sudden like "Huge Breaking News from Formula 1 - Mick Schumacher confirmed that he will give his F1 debut at the Nurburging, what a fantastic news. Click on Eurosport.de to find out more about it" (paraphrasing here). This is the worst clickbait I've ever seen  :lol:

#7 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,843 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 15:45

I think of Mick Schumacher like I think of the Andrettis: there aren't many people connected to F1 who will make the news simply by being there and Mick is one of them. Too early to say if he'll be a Michael or a Marco but Grand Prix racing needs a shot in the arm in pure celebrity terms, doesn't it?

#8 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 15:46

This is an absolutely fascinating three way battle!

- Schumacher has made some amazing starts off the grid and is definitely getting better (I thought he was bizarrely overrated towards the start of the season) but he's still got a tendency to underperform in qualifying and sometimes goes a bit missing in the races

- Ilot has been more impressive than the other two in terms of outright pace but has had some high profile mistakes. I remember one race earlier this season where he absolutely had the pace and the tyres to win but seemed to make about 10 mistakes in 5 laps in his attempt to get past some slower drivers

- Shwartzman has't been quite as good as the other two from Silvertsone onwards, but he's been pretty close to them and he's a rookie. Looking at previous drivers who've come into F1 after a year or two in F2 or GP2, that rookie status might be more important than anything else

Each of them is good enough to deserve a spot in the second Alfa, but none of them has been so good that you'd expect to see them in the Ferrari in three years. I'd say that Shwartzman looks the most likely to be in a Ferrari in five years, but only just!

(None of this is taking Mick's last name into account - that on its own will get him a seat in Alfa/Haas next year and first refusal on an empty Ferrari seat regardless of merit)

#9 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 15:53

Likely Mick will get a seat.Ilot could also get one,if he wins F2 title,as champion can't continue in that serie.

Edited by Vesuvius, 29 September 2020 - 15:58.

#10 BRG

BRG

• 25,951 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 15:53

oh god, I was just watching the French Open on Eurosport here in Germany. And the commentary went all of a sudden like "Huge Breaking News from Formula 1 - Mick Schumacher confirmed that he will give his F1 debut at the Nurburging, what a fantastic news. Click on Eurosport.de to find out more about it" (paraphrasing here). This is the worst clickbait I've ever seen  :lol:

On the BBC radio news at 4pm as well. 

#11 drpfeffer

drpfeffer

• 54 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 20:38

Will be interesting to see the F2 leaders in FP1 tomorrow.. personally I think that Mick is he only one of the 3 Ferrari juniors that have what it takes to make the move to F1.. Both Illot and Schwartzman have been very unimpressive for quite some time while Mick has just seem to get better and better.

Lundgaard in his rookie season have been more impressive this season, surely he will be on top of the table next year!

#12 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,279 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 20:55

Illot "very unimpressive"? He's 2nd in the championship!

Of course only 1 vote for him in the poll thanks to this forum's usual anti-British bias

#13 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,285 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 20:57

Yea... drivers I’m interested in !!!!
Jp

#14 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 21:23

Illot "very unimpressive"? He's 2nd in the championship!

Of course only 1 vote for him in the poll thanks to this forum's usual anti-British bias

I thought this forum was pro-british Bias??

Im British, I voted Mick. :drunk:

#15 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,285 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 21:46

I’m American so naturally I voted for the Russian.
Jp

#16 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 22:00

I watched more F2 than ever before this season, but TBH none of the candidates in question shows to be of the true steel, IMO. Schumacher is the most interesting for obvious reasons, but I doubt any of the three will trouble the the likes of Verstappen, Leclerc, etc. during the next decade.

#17 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,051 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 22:08

Is there some British Bias at work again? I'm not that impressed by Illot despite his standings. https://en.wikipedia...ionship#Drivers'_championship

Lol.

Maybe it's no bias but just peoples opinion...

#18 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 23:45

Its a waste sending the kids out in these conditions - nothing will be learned .... postpone to another more sensible time. 

#19 GTA

GTA

• 2,581 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 00:39

I think if Mick doesn't crash into Leclerc in practice he is already in at Alfa alongside Kimi. 

Robert is really good but with the tyre changes in GP2 I would rate his rookie season with a pinch of salt .Definitely worth a punt for a team like Haas. 

Not really sure about Illott. Pace is undoubtedly there but he makes far too many mistakes. I don't see him in F1 unless he beats Mick to the championship. 

Advertisement

#20 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,487 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:34

I don't think Ilott has demonstrated with his season that he's top-tier material. Performances like Spain where he blundered the win - one of several this year - really stick out where a better driver would have shined.

#21 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,285 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 09:09

Talk of moving this to Abu Dhabi...?
We will find out in 30 mins.

Jp

#22 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,714 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 10:37

Fogged out then. https://www.bbc.co.u...rmula1/54478369

#23 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,174 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 10:39

So disappointing...was looking forward to see the guys on track.

Will it be re-scheduled for another round?

Maybe Portimao or Turkey or Bahrain (not Imola, given it's only one FP)

Edited by thegamer23, 09 October 2020 - 10:41.

#24 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 10:42

Bummer.

#25 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,224 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 10:54

Great success, neither Mick or Callum crashed the car!

#26 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,119 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 11:09

Typical F1, the ONE interesting thing that was going to happen this week never comes to be.  Thanks for all the hype.

#27 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 11:15

Given the weather, suspect Mick and Callum quite pleased about that...

#28 IndianF1

IndianF1

• 44 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 13:01

I watched more F2 than ever before this season, but TBH none of the candidates in question shows to be of the true steel, IMO. Schumacher is the most interesting for obvious reasons, but I doubt any of the three will trouble the the likes of Verstappen, Leclerc, etc. during the next decade.

Yeah about that, none would ever say Michael Schumacher would be such a dominant figure in the sport looking at his rise through the championships. Mika looked like he had more pace than Schumacher. So I dunno. You just got to wait and watch.  I'm just puzzled with how young Mick's seems sudden rise in performance in F3 and F2.  Either he is some real superstar material or maybe it is the marketing forces of the sport that are helping him with that impressive trajectory. 

#29 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,285 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 13:30

Or it’s genetic.
Jp

#30 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 2,445 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 13:51

Do you think that F1 wants Mick in F1 so they can be like NASCAR and have a Jr in the series?

#31 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 3,379 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 13:52

So disappointing...was looking forward to see the guys on track.

Will it be re-scheduled for another round?

Maybe Portimao or Turkey or Bahrain (not Imola, given it's only one FP)

Based on Binotto probably next try will be Bahrain.  

#32 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 15:51

That went well...

#33 BRG

BRG

• 25,951 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 16:17

Or it’s genetic.
Jp

You mean he takes after his Mum?

Do you think that F1 wants Mick in F1 so they can be like NASCAR and have a Jr in the series?

Surely not, we all know that getting into F1 is entirely about ability and having a famous name or a huge amount of money counts for nothing'  That's why Mick's apotheosis has been inevitable for the last several years.

#34 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 16:20

Well at least the tyres are good as new, best tyre management on the grid

#35 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,529 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 16:52

You mean he takes after his Mum?

Surely not, we all know that getting into F1 is entirely about ability and having a famous name or a huge amount of money counts for nothing'  That's why Mick's apotheosis has been inevitable for the last several years.

That and winning races and Championships... I have not see anyone complaining that Verstappen son of a former F1 driver made it to F1 without winning Championships outside Kartng.... could there to an extent be double standards at play.

Magnussen at least competed and won before F1.

Edited by KWSN - DSM, 09 October 2020 - 16:53.

#36 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 17:13

He seemed to suggest that would not be the best thing to do  with F2 title decider same weekend.

#37 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 19:06

problem with bahrain is the F2 races, he also said that as well as sbu dhabi is the likely chance

#38 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,946 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 19:48

Identical laptimes, how very 1997

#39 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 19:55

Mika looked like he had more pace than Schumacher.

He did?

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 21:03

Between Damon, Jacques, Christian, Micheal A, Nico, Kasuki, Nelsinho, Gary and David, Jolyan, Markus, Kevin, and Max, I think F1 has had that covered quite nicely for a long time.

#41 FLB

FLB

• 29,929 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 23:11

Between Damon, Jacques, Christian, Micheal A, Nico, Kasuki, Nelsinho, Gary and David, Jolyan, Markus, Kevin, and Max, I think F1 has had that covered quite nicely for a long time.

There may even be a Lorenzo in a couple of years (which I'd love considering his padre was my favourite driver when he was racing) :

https://www.automobi...onelli,news.htm

#42 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,224 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 23:33

Even just looking at F2 and F3 right now. There's Alesi Jr, Piquet Jr 2, Deletraz Jr, Lundgaard Jr (I very much remember watching his dad rallying), Nannini Jr, Doohan the 4 wheels version Jr, Mick's cousin aka Ralf Jr...

Oh and Leclerc's brother will soon be there too.

Honestly we're already at a point where 80% of all drivers are either family of some other driver that came in before, and/or are millionaires.

Edited by noikeee, 09 October 2020 - 23:34.

#43 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,820 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 04:21

Given the weather, suspect Mick and Callum quite pleased about that...

Well they could have ended up at the top of the timesheets because of it. Which is certainly memorable. 

#44 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 08:58

Even just looking at F2 and F3 right now. There's Alesi Jr, Piquet Jr 2, Deletraz Jr, Lundgaard Jr (I very much remember watching his dad rallying), Nannini Jr, Doohan the 4 wheels version Jr, Mick's cousin aka Ralf Jr...

Honestly we're already at a point where 80% of all drivers are either family of some other driver that came in before, and/or are millionaires.

We race as one .... one family

#45 B38

B38

• 859 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 09:22

Lol.

Maybe it's no bias but just peoples opinion...

But if that opinion does not suit my opinion, than it must be bias, right?! :blush:

Edited by B38, 10 October 2020 - 09:42.

#46 Timantti

Timantti

• 971 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 11:12

Just tells how marginal the competition level is in this sport. 

#47 IndianF1

IndianF1

• 44 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 11:24

He did?

Mika should have been the championship winner for in F3. He was definitely faster, dunno if it was the car or him, but he would have been the winner had he not gone for the pass on Schumacher.

#48 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 11:28

Mika should have been the championship winner for in F3. He was definitely faster, dunno if it was the car or him, but he would have been the winner had he not gone for the pass on Schumacher.

Ok that's F3 and you're partly right. But I know who looked instantly better the moment they each stepped into F1.