- - - - -

Finally learning the Nordschleife

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,603 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 17:10

This weeks Gr.3 course in GTS in the Nordschleife, and so I've finally taken the decision to learn it after many years of muddling through.

I know there are various ways to learn it, and YouTube is looking pretty good to me at the moment to try to memorise sections in some kind of logical way, but I'm interested to know other peoples experiences of learning the track of tracks. I first drove it on GP Legends, which was obviously a few years ago now, but some of the memories of the flow of the track are starting to seep back through.

Advertisement

#2 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 26,177 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 17:18

I believe GPL was the first game I experienced the track on, but I remember that in those cars it was very difficult to learn. Just getting round a lap was an effort. The graphics weren't really up to making the track seem different as you went round it, so learning it was very difficult.

I know that Grand Turismo 4 was the first game that I could properly sit down and learn the track. It helped that certain sections were used in the licence tests. So those sections were easier to learn as you'd just reset and try again. The game also had a much more forgiving handling model and of course a wide selection of cars. Eventually I learned it via that game. Though I'd say it was only much more recently, on more modern games, that I feel I finally got the whole lap sorted. The section after the Karussell was the hardest to pick up, and especially the Bunnchen to Schwalbenschwanz part was the hardest to get right.

#3 scolbourne

scolbourne

• 544 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:28

I count corners up to and  from each of the two  concrete banked corners. You will remember it fairly well after practice and a few sim races. Much of it is full throttle so just remember where the tricky  corners are to be ready for them.

#4 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,603 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 13:21

I count corners up to and  from each of the two  concrete banked corners. You will remember it fairly well after practice and a few sim races. Much of it is full throttle so just remember where the tricky  corners are to be ready for them.

That sounds quite handy. I'm fairly sure I'm losing most of my time on the flat-out sections where I'm too cautious, thinking there's a sharp corner I've forgotten about coming up.

#5 noikeee

noikeee

• 18,215 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 15:06

I've got a confession to make. Despite having simraced for quite a few years now, and having lapped the Nordschleiffe in various titles, I'm still yet to properly learn it. That ****ing final part of the lap is so confusing.  :lol: So many similar blind crests etc.

#6 messy

messy

• 4,921 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 15:28

It was in GT Sport than I finally ‘learned’ the Nordschleife, I think. I do enjoy it, too. You can get a really good flow and I think because it’s so narrow it’s all about the way you position the car especially in that final section where you’ve got those constant, quite samey blind left-rights after the last banked turn.

Once you’ve learned the Nords try learning the Isle of Man TT track though! That’s a whole new level. Although I think I’ve probably got a better handle on that than the Nordschleife through sheer repetition.

#7 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,467 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:38

In GT Sport under the Campaign menu there is a section called Track Experience. Each track is broken into sections so you can work on them individually. Good way to learn the Ring.

Edited by Peeko, 22 November 2020 - 05:38.

#8 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,603 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 13:20

In GT Sport under the Campaign menu there is a section called Track Experience. Each track is broken into sections so you can work on them individually. Good way to learn the Ring.

That's a good shout, thanks.

I'm making progress. I'm hardly crashing on a lap at all now!

#9 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 13,051 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 16:20

Remember doing a sub 8 minute lap in the Cooper in GPL the UKGPL Championships... don't think I've done a better lap since!

Always found remembering the section between the 2 Karrussels the hardest as a few of the corners have similar blind crested apexes. Also the key to a good lap this bit as a lot of people go into survival mode here rather than pushing.