* * * * * 1 votes

F1 spice.....how can we do that?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Osiris

Osiris

• 304 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 15:10

I am excited that we have different drivers in different teams' cars.  Maybe after the championships are decided, they should have a roulette wheel with each of the cars and have the drivers spin it to find out which car they will be driving in an extra sprint race.

What other ways can we mix things up?

Advertisement

#2 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 1,205 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 15:18

A non-championship race where reserve and test drivers take the seats.

#3 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 15:57

Non GP weekends which replace test sessions and are ran over unique formats.

#4 pdac

pdac

• 17,322 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 16:58

Oh, I thought this was going to be a thread about Horner's wife.

#5 H0R

H0R

• 4,122 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 17:30

Oh, I thought this was going to be a thread about Horner's wife.

Old Spice?

#6 FNG

FNG

• 5,776 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 17:56

F1 should do some non championship races like they used to do back in the day. Mix it up a bit. Could also be a valuable test session to while providing entertainment

#7 pdac

pdac

• 17,322 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 18:57

I said in another thread that if they want to increase the number of F1 races in a season then they should limit the number that a single driver can compete in.

So, for example, if they have 25 races and each driver can only compete in 18, then each team would have to have at least one other driver racing for them and they would have to decide which driver competes in each race. This has the potential to add a lot more uncertainty to the drivers championship and would also bring more drivers into F1. It also means that each race is a championship race and so none of them will be looked upon as unimportant.

#8 slothdroid

slothdroid

• 24 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 20:28

I've been enjoying back to back same circuit races, this week more so because it's the same location but different configuration.

Adding the tracks not usually used has also added spice this year, as has mixing up drivers.

The suggestion by pdac above would work well, perhaps with the addition that the limit is for primary team, but can race at any other team but not score wdc points (while the team can score wcc still). This could allow drivers in slower cars a chance to shine in faster machinery.

#9 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,841 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 21:15

Make the cars so they can race one another without gimmicks. 

#10 JG

JG

• 569 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 21:21

Frank Williams did it right when he kicked out his WDC after titels. Even if Williams dominated most of the 90’s, it was still fun to watch and not one driver taking all wins and championships.

#11 Misk

Misk

• 734 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 22:17

Frank Williams did it right when he kicked out his WDC after titels. Even if Williams dominated most of the 90’s, it was still fun to watch and not one driver taking all wins and championships.

Yeah good point. Although being pedantic I think Hill was the only one to actually properly get the boot? Mansell left as they wouldn't pay him more and Prost retired as he didn't want to partner with Senna in 94.

#12 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:11

Renault was pulling strings too. But you have a point. Had things been handled like these days, Mansell would have married Williams and won a few more WDC before deciding to retire.

#13 Rediscoveryx

Rediscoveryx

• 3,427 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:16

I said in another thread that if they want to increase the number of F1 races in a season then they should limit the number that a single driver can compete in.

So, for example, if they have 25 races and each driver can only compete in 18, then each team would have to have at least one other driver racing for them and they would have to decide which driver competes in each race. This has the potential to add a lot more uncertainty to the drivers championship and would also bring more drivers into F1. It also means that each race is a championship race and so none of them will be looked upon as unimportant.

That's actually not such a bad idea. Let the teams have three drivers each, and limit them to doing 2/3 of the season each. 

On the other hand, perhaps it's a bit of a bummer if you're a fan of Driver X and it turns out he won't participate in the race weekend you've paid half your annual salary to attend.

#14 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:31

I've said it before I'll say it again, add an actual oval race to the calendar, would be interesting to see how some teams might design a car specifically for that track, like the old Force India that leaned towards low areo tracks. I think it would mix things up and test drivers in a different way and wouldn't definitely suit some cares over others.

Edited by Retrofly, 04 December 2020 - 11:31.

#15 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,859 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:35

I've said it before I'll say it again, add an actual oval race to the calendar, would be interesting to see how some teams might design a car specifically for that track, like the old Force India that leaned towards low areo tracks. I think it would mix things up and test drivers in a different way and wouldn't definitely suit some cares over others.

You'd need to drop the components rules for it to happen, as in let them have one off new parts for that race. 

Also I just think F1 cars round an oval will just become Noah's ark very quickly and I don't think it will be much of a spectacle, as things are currently. 

I would love to see one weekend where F1 drivers have a go in GP2 cars though at the end of the season for a bit of fun, with a draft system to decide who goes in what. £1m prize fund to the charity of the winner's choice. 

Edited by JimmyClark, 04 December 2020 - 11:35.

#16 pdac

pdac

• 17,322 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:25

That's actually not such a bad idea. Let the teams have three drivers each, and limit them to doing 2/3 of the season each. 

On the other hand, perhaps it's a bit of a bummer if you're a fan of Driver X and it turns out he won't participate in the race weekend you've paid half your annual salary to attend.

It's very rare that you can make an overall positive change to anything without introducing a negative effect on something/someone.