* * * * - 1 votes

What next for Max Verstappen?

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#1 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,181 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 16:25

There have been hundreds of posts about how George Russell's race on Sunday has muddied the water at Mercedes, but none about have it may have ruined Max Verstappen's long term plans.

Teams don't need or want a pair of Alpha Males driving for them.  They don't care how many thousands of social media and forum posters scream for it, they don't have any real desire to put equal ability drivers against each other in the same team.  I don't know if it's true, but it's believed Max had plans to leave RB and replace Lewis at Mercedes.  It now seems more than likely George Russell has plugged that option.  Sunday may have been a flash in the pan, but I doubt it.

For the same reasons, Ferrari don't need him, because Charles is doing a great job there and they like him.

Does that mean, despite RB having a rubbish chassis and potentially no engine, Max is going to be stuck in his current team?

Advertisement

#2 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,695 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 16:28

I think Mercedes are still eying on him as their first pick to replace Lewis and partner him up with Russell. Depending on when Lewis retires of course. George is quick and a mega-talent, but I think it will be a tad too early for him to lead a top team.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 08 December 2020 - 16:31.

#3 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,303 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 16:30

He is more likely to become Mercedes' lead driver than Russell is.

This overreaction is ridiculous.

#4 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,253 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 16:33

I don't know if this needs a thread or could've been discussed in the Silly Season one, but yeah, I was thinking the same. The emergence of Russell as a serious driver may eventually cockblock a way out to Mercedes for Max. Which is what we were expecting would happen to Max in the near future.

It will depend what will happen the next 2 years at Mercedes. If Russell moves up and settles himself as a proper potential team leader, I don't see Mercedes risking hiring Max. If he doesn't, the move is still on.

But it all also depends on how the pecking order changes with the 2022 regs. Red Bull may be the fastest car again, or some other team may suddenly rise, or Mercedes may fall back. Also don't completely rule out a Max to Ferrari move in the mid-term future, right now it's project Charles over there but Ferrari have a tendency to use drivers as a scapegoat eventually.

So yeah it does complicate Max's career in the short term slightly, but there's still lots of different things that could happen. It is a bit funny though, 3 years ago we thought Max was heads and shoulders by far the best young driver, he may still be the best, but now Charles and George have emerged as potentially worthy competitors so it does slightly diminish Max's worth in the driver market.

#5 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 16:33

Surely it's as daft to decide that Russell isn't number 1 material because we have no evidence of it as it is to decide he is number 1 material based on insufficient evidence?

#6 tifosii

tifosii

• 476 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 16:34

to he honest,i never think Merdeces will sign Max,it’s just people’s imagination.
in reality,he have to stick with Redbull.
He was born in a wrong era,i won’t be surprised he never win championship in the future.

#7 Joefane

Joefane

• 726 posts

I'd have to agree with the posts above (without being biased), but it seems as if Mercedes would prefer a proven superstar to replace Hamilton.

However, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a Verstappen/Russell partnership, and if rumours are to be believed, we might get it next year  ;)

#8 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 6,885 posts

Max won't leave before 2022 happens. Nobody knows after 2022 changes who is the best team. 

#9 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 16:36

He's in contract for the next 2 years, right?  So 'next' is two years at Red Bull........

#10 TheAviator

TheAviator

• 2,894 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 16:39

He made serious, big mistake by extending with RB IMO. Could cost him multiple WDCs, because that team has by far the worst outlook of all big runners and with Honda going I cannot see light at the end of the tunnel. Not after Russell's performance last week.

Unfortunately, as I think Max is best driver on the grid nowadays.

#11 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,253 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 16:40

Odds have changed though. Prior to this weekend I'd have said Max had a 80% chance, George 20%. Now its more like 50-50

There's a bit of overreaction yes but I think this weekend does change things substantially. We suspected George was good but we had no reference point. Now we now he's *at least pretty good*, maybe even brilliant. The short circuit, Bottas having a bad day etc, may have flattered him, he may not have looked half as good next to Lewis, but even the talk coming out of Mercedes (what Toto is saying) is now suddenly pretty different. I think Russell is now nailed on to a Merc seat sooner or later, and he wasn't before. And I'm not so sure I see him just as the next #2 to Max.

#12 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,303 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 16:41

Surely it's as daft to decide that Russell isn't number 1 material because we have no evidence of it as it is to decide he is number 1 material based on insufficient evidence?

that's not what I said either, but on current evidence Max is more likely to be number 1 material that George is.

Another problem is that Russell will likely face Hamilton before it comes to that. If he beats him all fine. If he doesnt despite Hamilton's age surely Mercedes will have second thoughts. Just like Ferrari didnt made Massa a #1 after Schumacher left, but instead replaced him with the best prospect on the grid at the time.

Edited by Marklar, 08 December 2020 - 16:42.

#13 P123

P123

• 24,038 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 16:42

The overreaction was natural, especially among the corners of F1 fandom looking for a platform to rubbish Hamilton.

However, Russell ticked all the boxes required- good one lap pace, good race pace, and feisty wheel to wheel.  Obviously a full picture cannot be gained from one race (imagine Bottas was a debutante at Oz 2019...) but Russell is already in the Merc system, and I have expected even from his F2 days, where he was notch above the likes of Norris, that he would be the long-term Lewis replacement for Merc.

Max is in there too, but Russell going some way to confirm his talent means that the need for Max is a little less.  It all depends on what Merc plan to do.  A Max/ Russell team would be something else.

#14 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,253 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 16:46

that's not what I said either, but on current evidence Max is more likely to be number 1 material that George is.

Another problem is that Russell will likely face Hamilton before it comes to that. If he beats him all fine. If he doesnt despite Hamilton's age surely Mercedes will have second thoughts. Just like Ferrari didnt made Massa a #1 after Schumacher left, but instead replaced him with the best prospect on the grid at the time.

Depends on the gap. Massa wasn't close to Michael, apart from 1 race in Turkey. If that happens they'll go for Max just like Ferrari went for Kimi, yes.

But if George is beaten by Lewis but is close enough to give him a proper fight, that might be good enough to make him the next king. Or they may simply prolong that duo and keep on renewing grandpa Lewis' contract, for as long as it takes until George starts beating him, or until Lewis gets bored and tired and decides to go home.

#15 tifosii

tifosii

• 476 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 16:48

the problem for Max is that car is much important than drivers in modern era.
everyone except bottas would look like a superstar in Mercedes.
so even max is best driver in current grid,i don’t think Mecedes need him so much.

Edited by tifosii, 08 December 2020 - 16:50.

#16 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 16:49

All under the assumption that Merc will still have the best car in 2022.

Who knows, it might be another 2009 shake up. Be careful in which basked you put your eggs.

#17 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 16:55

For the same reasons, Ferrari don't need him, because Charles is doing a great job there and they like him.

I wouldn't be so sure

#18 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,303 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 16:58

Depends on the gap. Massa wasn't close to Michael, apart from 1 race in Turkey. If that happens they'll go for Max just like Ferrari went for Kimi, yes.

But if George is beaten by Lewis but is close enough to give him a proper fight, that might be good enough to make him the next king. Or they may simply prolong that duo and keep on renewing grandpa Lewis' contract, for as long as it takes until George starts beating him, or until Lewis gets bored and tired and decides to go home.

It depends a lot on how much Mercedes is willing to give away on the driver side then.

Currently most assume that Max and Lewis are about equally matched. One quicker, the other more experienced. By that time it's likely that Max has surpassed him. If Russell is by then still not beating Lewis you would assume that the gap between him and Max is large enough to make a difference.

I definitely think he has to beat Lewis in order to prevent Max from joining and I'm not sure how likely that is, especially if he only gets one shot (2022)

Of course should they really hire Max as a #1 alongside Russell there is still the option that he starts beating him (like Massa did to Kimi).

Point is that I dont think that Max' chances have diminished as much as everyone thinks.

#19 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,728 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:01

The next is 2020 Abudhabi GP!

Advertisement

#20 TheAviator

TheAviator

• 2,894 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:02

What overreaction? Fantastic junior career? Check. Dominant raw speed? Check. Pocketing absolute benchmark such as Bottas (as we have been hearing here for years) in 2 days he has been called up into Merc straight from backmarker team? Check. Brilliant .ppt? Checked :clap:

#21 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:02

Max won't leave before 2022 happens. Nobody knows after 2022 changes who is the best team. 

He's in contract for the next 2 years, right?  So 'next' is two years at Red Bull........

Max has contract clause: if Honda leaves, he's free agent.

And I'm sure he will end up in red or silver when comes 2022.

#22 Neno

Neno

• 2,384 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:03

His another one who can choose his seat in 2022. 

#23 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:05

Max..

Simply, more of the same. Expecting a different result without making a change is just mad.

Unless he can convince the owners its time to man up and bring in a proper teammate, this stalemate will continue.

Mercedes don’t need him.
Ferrari don’t need him.
McLaren aren’t works and don’t need him.
Renault for next 2-3 years don’t need him.
Aston Martin... maybe if Seb fails. But then again, not a true works team but frankly as close as their will be one to Mercedes.

So frankly, only option is Aston Martin, especially since Stroll would to love have Newey.

Edited by Paco, 08 December 2020 - 17:06.

#24 TheAviator

TheAviator

• 2,894 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:05

Max has contract clause: if Honda leaves, he's free agent.

And I'm sure he will end up in red or silver when comes 2022.

I doubt he'll end up in red. Not only because Ferrari put Charles on 5 year contract right after his rookie year in Ferrari, but also because Carlos has 2 year contract and Mick is prepared to take mantle after it. I think Max and Charles in same team would be absolutely terrible, far worse then Lewis and Rosberg.

Edited by TheAviator, 08 December 2020 - 17:05.

#25 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,429 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:08

What overreaction? Fantastic junior career? Check. Dominant raw speed? Check. Pocketing absolute benchmark such as Bottas (as we have been hearing here for years) in 2 days he has been called up into Merc straight from backmarker team? Check. Brilliant .ppt? Checked :clap:

One single F1 race in his whole life against a competitive teammate? Check.

#26 MinardiCrashDummy

MinardiCrashDummy

• 1,227 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:08

Max shouldn't leave until 2023 earliest, see where the lay of the land is in 2022 and see who has nailed the new regulations.

Imagine he jumps just as Redbull have finally built the car he needs to challenge all season long, would be a near Alonso mistake.

#27 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:10

I doubt he'll end up in red. Not only because Ferrari put Charles on 5 year contract right after his rookie year in Ferrari, but also because Carlos has 2 year contract and Mick is prepared to take mantle after it. I think Max and Charles in same team would be absolutely terrible, far worse then Lewis and Rosberg.

Exactly. A long term Charles-Schumacher era will be epic for Ferrari in the new design era.

Fernando won't want to end his career facing Max so no chance their.

Mercedes already screwed themselves with this Russell headache now so they won’t be needing him. If Lewis does retire soon, Russell-Perez would be excellent and less baggage and headaches.

McLaren he probably does see fondly.

So only RP is interesting... but only should Seb not find his form.

#28 TheAviator

TheAviator

• 2,894 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:11

Well, 1 out of 1. I am sure he would have rather wished Toto had some balls to put him this year in Merc like RB and Ferrari did with Max and Charles but, he'll linger another year in backmarker team because why not, there is already fantastic benchmark in Merc called Bottas v4

Edited by TheAviator, 08 December 2020 - 17:11.

#29 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,695 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:16

The overreaction was natural, especially among the corners of F1 fandom looking for a platform to rubbish Hamilton.

However, Russell ticked all the boxes required- good one lap pace, good race pace, and feisty wheel to wheel.  Obviously a full picture cannot be gained from one race (imagine Bottas was a debutante at Oz 2019...) but Russell is already in the Merc system, and I have expected even from his F2 days, where he was notch above the likes of Norris, that he would be the long-term Lewis replacement for Merc.

Max is in there too, but Russell going some way to confirm his talent means that the need for Max is a little less.  It all depends on what Merc plan to do.  A Max/ Russell team would be something else.

It's still overreacting. Look at Max' mistakes in 2016-2018, look at Leclerc now. George had one race in a topteam, in the best car of the field on a very easy track from a perspective of race management. He did good, but let's not jump to conclusions like some do that he is the next Hamilton or is ready to lead a top team. 

Edited by Ivanhoe, 08 December 2020 - 17:17.

#30 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:18

You don't know what is in theirs contract. Remember Ferrari paid out Raikkonen in 2010 and brought Alonso.

#31 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,253 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:23

It depends a lot on how much Mercedes is willing to give away on the driver side then.

Currently most assume that Max and Lewis are about equally matched. One quicker, the other more experienced. By that time it's likely that Max has surpassed him. If Russell is by then still not beating Lewis you would assume that the gap between him and Max is large enough to make a difference.

I definitely think he has to beat Lewis in order to prevent Max from joining and I'm not sure how likely that is, especially if he only gets one shot (2022)

Of course should they really hire Max as a #1 alongside Russell there is still the option that he starts beating him (like Massa did to Kimi).

Point is that I dont think that Max' chances have diminished as much as everyone thinks.

Nah, I don't agree with you there. That would be an awkward position and a bit of a leap of faith to go for Max on the basis that he'd be a level above both Lewis and a Russell that (hypothetically) is "only" matching Lewis.

I think they're more likely to hire a Sainz/Bottas-type character as #2 then, whoever he may be in 2 or 3 or 4 years time. I just don't see Max and George as teammates. That seems like a potential clash of personalities and also a high chance of clashing on track.

#32 Dunc

Dunc

• 924 posts

I have wondered if Max is going down the same route as Montoya or Villeneuve, an outstandingly talented driver who never gets the chance to show his real potential. It's too early to say Russell is a shoo-in but the talk around him is very similar to the talk around Max when he was at Torro Rosso.

#33 TheAviator

TheAviator

• 2,894 posts

You don't know what is in theirs contract. Remember Ferrari paid out Raikkonen in 2010 and brought Alonso.

Maybe, but Kimi in Ferrari probably didn't justified expectations. He was taken as Schumi's replacement and then Massa pretty much beat him in 2/3 years they were together. That is not happening to Charles, Charles has sent Vettel packing after his rookie year in Ferrari (the guy they paid 35M a year duo to his 4 WDCs)

Edited by TheAviator, 08 December 2020 - 17:24.

#34 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 6,885 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:24

Max..

Simply, more of the same. Expecting a different result without making a change is just mad.

Unless he can convince the owners its time to man up and bring in a proper teammate, this stalemate will continue.

Mercedes don’t need him.
Ferrari don’t need him.
McLaren aren’t works and don’t need him.
Renault for next 2-3 years don’t need him.
Aston Martin... maybe if Seb fails. But then again, not a true works team but frankly as close as their will be one to Mercedes.

So frankly, only option is Aston Martin, especially since Stroll would to love have Newey.

Huh? LOL

Every team will fight tooth and nail if Max is available. 

#35 F127

F127

• 79 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:26

So many things can happen in the next few years, the regs change is the big step, and who even knows which teams will come out best and even still be here 5 years down the line.

I can't say I ever saw Max heading to Mercedes after Ham retires, I always saw Russell as a given, with maybe Ocon joining him as they are in their process. Nothing against Max, I just never saw him as a logical fit.

Maybe for the next two years he is stuck with Red Bull, but they could pump out the best car in 2022, who knows? Don't see any reason to panic jump even if the engine situation sucks for RB.

Plus on a selfish note I find that seeing a great driver in a challenger position is more exciting than seeing them in the best car. I would enjoy seeing Lewis in a similar position, it is just more fun to watch.

#36 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:29

Russell and Max in the same team would be quite formidable.

#37 Arundo

Arundo

• 2,712 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:29

Max just turned 23, he has still 12 years in F1 until he reaches the age where Hamilton now is at, so lets not overreact.

He has still till 2022 to see where he needs to go for a competitive car, and if you think teams are not looking at him even if they have their lineup secured for the coming two years you are mistaken.

Only if Max starts to go full Vettel in the coming two years he be able to find a competitive seat after 2022, which also depends on who got their **** together the best with the new rules. 

As for Russell as many before me mentioned, lets see how he will do in a top team against a competitive teammate over a whole year and not just one race against Bottas #whatever who is having a bad streak lately. 

#38 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,303 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:35

Barely beating Latifi in races. Check.

For real, I do rate Russell highly. And last year I was actually firmly on the Hype Train. But his races at Williams this year made me doubt that he is in Max' league. Maybe in a couple of years time we will look back and see those races as outliers that naturally can happen to young drivers, but for now they have to be considered.

Nah, I don't agree with you there. That would be an awkward position and a bit of a leap of faith to go for Max on the basis that he'd be a level above both Lewis and a Russell that (hypothetically) is "only" matching Lewis.

I think they're more likely to hire a Sainz/Bottas-type character as #2 then, whoever he may be in 2 or 3 or 4 years time. I just don't see Max and George as teammates. That seems like a potential clash of personalities and also a high chance of clashing on track.

we play around here with many variables.

If the field is competitive (hopefully, after the rule changes) they wont have much of a choice, as a better driver will make the difference.

Obviously then the question is if Max would be even interested, maybe Red Bull is actually the best car in 2022.

The other question is also if you even need the best driver. Red Bull didnt won their titles with the driver that was regarded the highest. The first few years in the hybrid era Mercedes neither. Both examples are teams that werent dominant when their lead driver joined though, so when they didnt had much choice. As of now Mercedes is in the position where they can probably get anyone and they will likely take the best, will it be the same by the time Lewis leaves? Who knows.

#39 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:38

Maybe, but Kimi in Ferrari probably didn't justified expectations. He was taken as Schumi's replacement and then Massa pretty much beat him in 2/3 years they were together. That is not happening to Charles, Charles has sent Vettel packing after his rookie year in Ferrari (the guy they paid 35M a year duo to his 4 WDCs)

What are you talking about?

Kimi was brought as replacement for Schumi and won a title. Then he was fired.

Leclerc didn't win anything yet and will not next year too.

Advertisement

#40 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 3,190 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:45

There have been hundreds of posts about how George Russell's race on Sunday has muddied the water at Mercedes, but none about have it may have ruined Max Verstappen's long term plans.

Teams don't need or want a pair of Alpha Males driving for them.  They don't care how many thousands of social media and forum posters scream for it, they don't have any real desire to put equal ability drivers against each other in the same team.  I don't know if it's true, but it's believed Max had plans to leave RB and replace Lewis at Mercedes.  It now seems more than likely George Russell has plugged that option.  Sunday may have been a flash in the pan, but I doubt it.

Does that mean, despite RB having a rubbish chassis and potentially no engine, Max is going to be stuck in his current team?

This part was never true, it was wishful thinking of his fans. Mercedes never wanted him and never had any plans to sign Max in the future, especially because of Russell. I said it from the start, they had Russell developing nicely and they have had no reason to even consider Max as they have the perfect replacement waiting to replace Hamilton once he retires.

Max has also ruined his chance at Ferrari by bad mouthing them in the past, and at the moment is not suited for the Ferrari imagine (That can improve when he matures more though) and they also have Charles as their lead driver into the future (Unless Sainz can upset that balance)

McLaren could be an option in the future, because even with Norris if he fails to be one of the next best, Dan isn't going to be around to much longer, and with Merc engine support they could be getting back to the front very soon.

The rest of the teams are an unknown, but Aston Martin look to be on the up...and a gamble with a change of regulations may pay off.

Newey needs to work his magic.

#41 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 3,190 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:48

Barely beating Latifi in races. Check.

For real, I do rate Russell highly. And last year I was actually firmly on the Hype Train. But his races at Williams this year made me doubt that he is in Max' league. Maybe in a couple of years time we will look back and see those races as outliers that naturally can happen to young drivers, but for now they have to be considered.

we play around here with many variables.

That's a bizzare statement to make when he's driving the worse car in the field, the Williams, he puts that car in places it shouldn't be, you are expecting far to much from him in that dog of a car, he's done miracles in it to get so many q2's and place it where it shouldn't be, but thats probably because he's allot better than the drivers around him in the lower field also....

#42 TheAviator

TheAviator

• 2,894 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:48

What are you talking about?

Kimi was brought as replacement for Schumi and won a title. Then he was fired.

Leclerc didn't win anything yet and will not next year too.

He was fired because he was performing about the same as Massa, difference being Massa didnt have luck on his side in 2008, otherwise their performance were pretty neck and neck. This is not what they brought him for and thats why they replaced him with Alonso who proved to be much more capable driver.

#43 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 3,190 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:50

Huh? LOL

Every team will fight tooth and nail if Max is available. 

No they wouldn't, as they have no need for him at the moment, they are all full up and have their own superstars. Max isn't the god of F1, he doesn't have automatic rights just because he's available, they are other stars and top tier drivers on the grid...

In the future when Dan/Vettel retire, and maybe Charles fails at Ferrari he has a chance to go Macca/Ferrari/Aston and fight for titles as he's still very young, don't forget that.

Edited by ForzaFormula, 08 December 2020 - 17:51.

#44 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,695 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:51

A lot of proven elite Superstars in F1 nowadays. For now, Russell will be driving a Williams next season, so will start his first season in a top team in 2022 at the earliest. I'll reserve my judgment till then and probably also the season thereafter. He's still a relatively unexperienced driver.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 08 December 2020 - 17:55.

#45 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,303 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 17:55

That's a bizzare statement to make when he's driving the worse car in the field, the Williams, he puts that car in places it shouldn't be, you are expecting far to much from him in that dog of a car, he's done miracles in it to get so many q2's and place it where it shouldn't be, but thats probably because he's allot better than the drivers around him in the lower field also....

not bizarre at all, as I'm not comparing him to the other - supposedly better - cars, but to his team mate that drives the same car. Do you think finishing most races close to Latifi is a mark of a future great?

Again, maybe this period was just an outlier, and all will be forgotten in a few years, but too many are sugarcoating this now just because of the latest race.

And yes, his pre-F1 record is good, but then again his F3 seasons werent anywhere near as impressive as Leclerc or Verstappens were either. So there is one more reference point here (though I generally dont think that we should care too much about feeder careers, Vandoorne and Hulkenberg show that this isnt always conclusive)

Edited by Marklar, 08 December 2020 - 17:56.

#46 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 18:01

Max is good - very good, but he hasn't demonstrated the leadership skills, in the car and out, that would give him that Mercedes seat as an option. They just don't need him and GR demonstrated why last w/end.

At Sakhir Max was beaten - by 00ths of a second by both GR and Bottas. GR was under intense pressure and delivered. Max doesn't always deliver under pressure. Pressure is what F1 is all about - if you can't deliver when it counts, you'll never get to the very top.

I see Lewis in that Merc for another 2/3 years. GR will be in the car in 2022 and I can see a pairing of one of the Ferrari drivers when Lewis leaves; Sainz, Mick, LeClerc, or even Ocon.

Max can still be a WDC, but I see RBR as his only route to one.

#47 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,351 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 18:05

I think it depends o nhow good RB are looking after Honda leave. But I think he'll stick around until the end of 2023 and then move on if the signs aren't good.

I don't think he'll find it hard to get a good seat either. By then Hamilton will be 39 so there's no guarantee he'd want to continue, or that he'd still be good enough for Mercedes to keep him if he does.

There's also an outside chance that Mercedes will fluff the new sporting regulations in 2022. At that point any number of different options would become attractive, and I think Verstappen wouldn't be short of offers.

#48 TheAviator

TheAviator

• 2,894 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 18:07

Max is good - very good, but he hasn't demonstrated the leadership skills, in the car and out, that would give him that Mercedes seat as an option. They just don't need him and GR demonstrated why last w/end.

At Sakhir Max was beaten - by 00ths of a second by both GR and Bottas. GR was under intense pressure and delivered. Max doesn't always deliver under pressure. Pressure is what F1 is all about - if you can't deliver when it counts, you'll never get to the very top.

I see Lewis in that Merc for another 2/3 years. GR will be in the car in 2022 and I can see a pairing of one of the Ferrari drivers when Lewis leaves; Sainz, Mick, LeClerc, or even Ocon.

Max can still be a WDC, but I see RBR as his only route to one.

When your team mate qualifies 12th and you qualify 0.05s behind pole Merc car, I would definitely not look for deficiencies in Max driving there.

#49 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 18:09

not bizarre at all, as I'm not comparing him to the other - supposedly better - cars, but to his team mate that drives the same car. Do you think finishing most races close to Latifi is a mark of a future great?

Again, maybe this period was just an outlier, and all will be forgotten in a few years, but too many are sugarcoating this now just because of the latest race.

And yes, his pre-F1 record is good, but then again his F3 seasons werent anywhere near as impressive as Leclerc or Verstappens were either. So there is one more reference point here (though I generally dont think that we should care too much about feeder careers, Vandoorne and Hulkenberg show that this isnt always conclusive)

I am fussier than a fussy one but I have to give it to GR for his performance last w/end. To perform the way he did with that intense scrutiny and pressure reminded me of the great drivers. I'll even go as far as to compare it to Schumacher's Jordan debut.

His racecraft was spot on. His quali was spot on. His start was spot on. His race pace was spot on. His temperament was spot on.

As much as I rate Max as a driver - given the choice I'd choose GR or LeClerc over him. Not because of their relative speed compared to Max, more to do with the complete package.

#50 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 18:10

Ironic, after T4 this wknd :-).