* * * * - 10 votes

McLaren 2021 (Team Thread)

• Please log in to reply
11219 replies to this topic

#1 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 1,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:31

Unless I’m blind, we don’t have a 2021 team thread yet, so here it is. Bring on the new season! :)

Advertisement

#2 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,944 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:38

A very good read.

https://the-race.com...val-at-mclaren/

#3 BCM

BCM

• 1,964 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:13

I wonder what Lando thinks Sainz does better than Ricciardo.

#4 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,304 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:37

One of McLaren aerodynamicists participated in a Q&A session conducted by the university students in Turkey. She stated that Carlos was working more closely with the engineers compared to Lando. Lando will have to work harder than ever if he wants to beat Daniel. It will be interesting to see his progress this year.

#5 markpenske

markpenske

• 569 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 13:11

I saw on Daniel's Instagram page he's a Buffalo Bills fan? He's my new favorite driver. Go Bills!!

#6 DeVol

DeVol

• 1,098 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 14:28

Better Spanish.  :cool:

#7 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,391 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 14:40

I've generally been quite impressed with The Race, they're a lot better than they were at Autosport.  

#8 H0R

H0R

• 4,068 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 15:45

I've generally been quite impressed with The Race, they're a lot better than they were at Autosport.  

Same. When I used to read the name "Ed Straw" on Autosport I just rolled my eyes. Today it is: "Bring it on, this will be interesting to read".

#9 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 1,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 23:38

Autosport is a shell of its former self. It was once the benchmark, but since Motorsport.com acquired it, it’s just a shadow site. The Race is a breath of fresh air. I’m still not a massive fan of Edd Straw, but there is plenty of quality there.

That was a good read. It’ll be an interesting battle between the two of them. Lando really should have it over Dan a bit early on. If he doesn’t, a. it will really reiterate Dan’s quality, and b. It could spell trouble for Lando. I just hope they can both help drive the team forward.
Lando mentioned the differences in preferences and driving styles between him and Carlos. That can often work against optimum car development and setup. It’ll be interesting what situation will be him and Dan.

#10 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 1,121 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 00:27

They are teasing the livery on the app today. Orange, black, and blue apparently. 🙄😂

Edited by Flasheart, 19 January 2021 - 03:29.

#11 f1rules

f1rules

• 7,968 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:09

I just REALLY hope they dont try and “overdo” the Lando Dan thing. I worked with sainz and lando cause it seemed natural and they both enjoyed. But! It was their thing. Being forced=fake, it has the potential to be annoying really fast.
Edit:
And offcourse it works best combined with an upwards trend :-) so lets hope that part continue

Edited by f1rules, 19 January 2021 - 06:32.

#12 numberten

numberten

• 351 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:55

I just REALLY hope they dont try and “overdo” the Lando Dan thing. I worked with sainz and lando cause it seemed natural and they both enjoyed. But! It was their thing. Being forced=fake, it has the potential to be annoying really fast.
Edit:
And offcourse it works best combined with an upwards trend :-) so lets hope that part continue

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about this. Especially if the results aren't there on the track - can very quickly go from being funny, wholesome content to awkward and cringey. Saying that though, the content on the whole over the past couple years has been great and consistent in providing a feel good atmosphere to the team and with F1 attracting a new younger audience recently they seem to have managed to successfully scoop up a large portion of the new fans into backing their horse, which is commendable. It would be interesting to see how they are performing with the merch sales etc. I know that info used to be available for football clubs back in the day! 

#13 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:27

Edit:

I'm going to be the grumpy old man in the room and say I already found it bit tedious with Lando and Sainz, tbh.  I don't care how lovey dovey they are off track, as long as they get the results when it counts.  I prefer to see steely resolve than laid back camaraderie.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to have everyone get on, but tbh I'd rather see them upset when they lose to their team mate, that way I know they'll try harder next time

#14 f1rules

f1rules

• 7,968 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:18

yeah im with you :-) i was raised in the school of Ron :-), but they kept it JUST within ok limits for me and everyone seemed to enjoy and it supported a good spirit in the team, so. It's just, everyone, media, fans are so hyped on a wilder vers.2.0.  and that worries me. So please dont overdo McLaren. Also the closer to the front they hopefully get, the more focused theyll be

#15 f1rules

f1rules

• 7,968 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:27

btw this could deliver some funny replies, Aston Martin setting themselves up for trouble :-)

EsFUyiBWMAIaXs9.png

#16 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 1,937 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 13:05

btw this could deliver some funny replies, Aston Martin setting themselves up for trouble :-)

EsFUyiBWMAIaXs9.png

They've got their tracing paper and pencil ready... 

#17 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 5,568 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 13:30

"Sainz has always been at his best with good rear stability and sometimes struggles in conditions where Norris’s skillset is ideal.

He forces the car quite a bit, so when he doesn’t have that stability that’s when he loses that bit of confidence"

I hope this is not true for Carlos's sake at Ferrari. The SF 1000 had probably the worst rear end stability of the grid after Haas :rotfl:

Edited by Astandahl, 19 January 2021 - 13:31.

#18 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,944 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 13:54

You know, regarding this driver chemistry, i am a fan of keeping things natural and not forcing things either way. Overplaying it will definitely make things cringey and awkward. I don't want the team to excessively milk this supposed teammate chemistry nor do i want them to forcibly stifle it. Ultimately what matters the most is the performance on track and as long as the team keeps its 100 percent focus on that i am fine.

Just my personal opinion that Ricciardo is a massively competitive and focused driver behind that wide eyed smile. He would want to stamp hos authority very quickly and i expect him not to take more than a couple of races to be right on the money. Lando has talked about how car traits affected his and Carlos' pace. Ricciardo is hugely versatile, can cope with cape with car deficiencies a lot better and that's where Lando needs to work harder.

Edited by Quickshifter, 19 January 2021 - 13:55.

#19 Lotusse7en

Lotusse7en

• 268 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 14:50

Just my personal opinion that Ricciardo is a massively competitive and focused driver behind that wide eyed smile. 

Wide eyed ? Next time look at his mouth/teeth !

Advertisement

#20 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 11,292 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:17

More money on the way

https://www.mclaren....-collaboration/

#21 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:19

More money on the way

https://www.mclaren....-collaboration/

I doubt if it is worth much in direct cash.

Nice to see that spirit of Ron Dennis remains at McLaren:-  "The partnership will deliver on both companies’ shared belief to offer creative and engaging experiences to its community of fans across racing and gaming."  Ronno would be proud of that piece of nonsense!

#22 FTB

FTB

• 659 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 14:45

I would say Sainz is better in rain, and first lap, but that's about it. Ricciardo is superior in all other areas and would comfortably outscore Sainz over a season.

#23 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,623 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 21:54

I would say Sainz is better in rain, and first lap, but that's about it. Ricciardo is superior in all other areas and would comfortably outscore Sainz over a season.

Ricciardo has improved his first laps, but last year was passed by Sainz during the first lap a couple of times, but it did seem that the McLaren heated its tyres up well on lap 1, I would give it 50% McLaren better at heating up tyres and 50% Ricciardo still not being able to get the best out of cold tyres.

Wet weather is still an issue for him, but not all the time, even Turkey he qualified and raced well till his final set of tyres, then killed them on the out lap...

#24 New Britain

New Britain

• 7,687 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 00:37

Nice to see that spirit of Ron Dennis remains at McLaren:-  "The partnership will deliver on both companies’ shared belief to offer creative and engaging experiences to its community of fans across racing and gaming."  Ronno would be proud of that piece of nonsense!

Perhaps, although Garena itself is quite profitable - last year's pre-tax profit was $1b, and it must be higher now. The question appears to be how much of its cash flow gets diverted to support other companies in the group.

https://www.vir.com....opee-75407.html

#25 Dennista

Dennista

• 633 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:58

Its not nonsense! It's ronspeak

#26 New Britain

New Britain

• 7,687 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:44

Its not nonsense! It's ronspeak

Also known as Ronsense.

#27 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,070 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 17:14

They are teasing the livery on the app today. Orange, black, and blue apparently.

That would fit with last year's livery + black halo :up:

#28 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 21:57

Oi. Like the Arrrows? Or the poor performance era of McLaren of 2017...

Orange and Black just don’t go well together... unless they come up with a ultra modern take on it let designer go wild which they haven’t been known for, for some time now.

#29 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 00:06

Thanks for the that. Great read. The comments section was quite interesting too!

#30 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 00:23

Ricciardo has improved his first laps, but last year was passed by Sainz during the first lap a couple of times, but it did seem that the McLaren heated its tyres up well on lap 1, I would give it 50% McLaren better at heating up tyres and 50% Ricciardo still not being able to get the best out of cold tyres.

Wet weather is still an issue for him, but not all the time, even Turkey he qualified and raced well till his final set of tyres, then killed them on the out lap...

Yeah occasionally some weaker wet races but conversely he has had some very good wet weather drives in particular Monaco 2016 where he was braining the entire field before RBR screwed up his pitstop and lost him the race, Hungary 2014 too where he won passing Fonz and Lewis was wet as well. 

Edited by gowebber, 23 January 2021 - 03:44.

#31 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 1,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 00:59

That would fit with last year's livery + black halo :up:

My post was tongue in cheek. Unfortunately there’s no sarcasm emoji. On the halo, I’m ok with it orange. If they were to change, I’d prefer blue over black. 🤷🏻‍♂️

#32 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,156 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:43

EsFUyiBWMAIaXs9.png

Geez, its exciting,....

#33 BCM

BCM

• 1,964 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 12:00

I'd agree on the rain. That's not one of Dan's strengths. First lap - dunno. He did pretty well at Renault. RB I'm convinced they've had issues for a long time on their starts.

#34 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 23:47

Yeah first laps were pretty good at Renault much better than at RBR. It was a beast off the line.

Edited by gowebber, 23 January 2021 - 23:47.

#35 f1rules

f1rules

• 7,968 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 05:56

The battle between Dan & Lando will be interesting. We know Lando and sainz are pretty equal in qual and sainz a bit better in the race, so if Dan wants to make an impression, he needs to cover Lando clearly in both disciplines from early on

#36 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,688 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 21:39

Interesting QR link from McLaren

https://twitter.com/...6298534915?s=21

#37 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,187 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 00:16

Thanks for the rickroll  :lol:

#38 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,082 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 13:47

For those without a QR app or are on a pc:  https://www.youtube....h?v=XfR9iY5y94s

Edited by GlenWatkins, 25 January 2021 - 13:48.

#39 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 1,937 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:08

https://www.grandpri...sion-with-cnbc/

Extended with CNBC... whoever they are.

Advertisement

#40 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 1,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 00:42

Love it! This is the soundtrack to my favourite childhood sporting memory. Dad got me out of bed early, and we all watched as our boys spanked the Yanks in the America’s Cup. :D

#41 jensfan09

jensfan09

• 864 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 00:43

https://www.grandpri...sion-with-cnbc/

Extended with CNBC... whoever they are.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNBC

#42 f1rules

f1rules

• 7,968 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:29

THANK YOU Daniel, i think thats a very important message to get out

It's not going to be a comedy show.

"I'm going there for business, I'm going there to improve the car.

https://www.skysport...ris-comedy-show

Edited by f1rules, 27 January 2021 - 07:47.

#43 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 1,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:53

THANK YOU Daniel, i think thats a very important message to get out

It's not going to be a comedy show.

"I'm going there for business, I'm going there to improve the car.

Good on him for getting on the front foot. It won’t stop the SKY nuffies from trying to turn it into a circus act though, sadly.

#44 f1rules

f1rules

• 7,968 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:17

and "The Race" with another great article this time on Carlos and his time at Mclaren, they really are producing some great stuff after they left you know who :-)

https://the-race.com...thy-of-ferrari/

Edited by f1rules, 27 January 2021 - 08:41.

#45 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:26

and "The Race" with another great article this time on Carlos and his time at Mclaren, they really are producing some great stuff after they left you know who :-)

https://the-race.com...thy-of-ferrari/

interesting that he credits a good deal of his renaissance to the new supportive family atmosphere at McLaren.  I hope he realises he's probably unlikely to get the same at Ferrari if history is anything to go by

#46 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,944 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:32

Daniel Ricciardo's joins McLaren - but no Lando Norris 'comedy show'

"It's something I want to reiterate to everyone watching, and every fan of McLaren in particular, It's not going to be a comedy show.I'm going there for business, I'm going there to improve the car.

"My personality won't change so I think I do enjoy doing what I do... but I'm certainly not going there to be this meme power couple or whatever it's described as these days!"

Edited by Quickshifter, 27 January 2021 - 09:33.

#47 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,944 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:34

This is exactly why i rate Ricciardo so highly. He is one focused, fiercely competitive top tier driver which sometimes people fail to see behind his smile.

#48 Kimiraikkonen

Kimiraikkonen

• 2,813 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:51

Should be a good season for us #McL35M  :stoned: 

#49 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,179 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:05

This is exactly why i rate Ricciardo so highly. He is one focused, fiercely competitive top tier driver which sometimes people fail to see behind his smile.

Ricciardo always reminds me of a "smilier" Alonso. He's got that same tenacity and competitive spirit. Maybe lacks the outright consistency of the Spaniard though, by having a couple of races where he just doesn't get it right, whereas Alonso is on it every race.

#50 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 1,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:59

You only have to listen to his radio communication during the race to see/hear how focused, and level headed he is. There’s no shouting or moaning, just calm and to the point. Even when things aren’t going right. He must be an engineers dream. I wish I could hear the radio from his win at Monaco, when he had to deal with all those car issues.