Photo

Driver's Used Underwear!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 West3

West3

• 146 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 00:06

Apologies for the slightly misleading title, intended to attract attention.

I recon if there is any place on the internet to have the answer to my question, it must be here. I recently came into possession of a driver's armband used in the 1962 Belgian GP. My question concerns its usage; specifically when, where and how often.

Does anyone here know if armbands were commonly worn in competition (i.e. during races under the driver's suit) in this period? Or were they just worn when entering the circuit, paddock, pits, etc. and then set aside before suiting-up? I would like to imagine that this armband accompanied my driver in the cockpit, dicing with a young Ricardo Rodriguez throughout the race, ultimately for a podium finish and then standing alongside Jim Clark and Graham Hill on the rostrum for a final time.

I'm guessing the definitive answer is either "no one knows" or "no one cares". But sillier and more trivial questions have been put forth here, although I am struggling to think of one! :stoned:

Photo for reference:

https://postimg.cc/MXmHkGy6

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,613 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 06:23

Photos of drivers wearing any sort of official armband do seem few and far between.

204804-C5-0-DB1-4-D02-8193-DDAED78-B2599

Clark is wearing one here, but McLaren doesn’t seem to be, and we can’t see Hill’s left arm. Presumably they didn’t bother most of the time, which could explain why Clark and McLaren famously fell foul of the Dutch police at Zandvoort in 1963.

#3 john aston

john aston

• 2,704 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 07:56

I have Jean Pierre Jarier's armband pass from a 1973 GP - Austria , from memory . 'Borrowed ' by a friend who was volunteering for March 

#4 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 897 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 15:53

i doubt they'd be worn UNDER the overalls....over them as in the photo, they'd be used as Paddock Passes etc. That's my guess.... 

Edited by Dick Dastardly, 07 March 2021 - 15:55.