• 860 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 14:25

Blades of Glory: The story of the works racing Clan Crusader - Bing video

Advertisement

#2 john aston

john aston

• 2,700 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 17:13

Fabulous - I saw Johnny Blades race many times and in 1977 I owned OPT 440 J , the fourth Clan Crusader built . Lovely car , light , quick and sipped petrol . It impersonated an early 911 if circumstances forced you into braking hard while cornering con brio . My passenger has started talking to me again now. 

#3 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 21:40

Interesting video (although I admit I did not find the Clan elegant at all) but I am sure I heard mention of "the Coventry Climax twin cam" in the Elan. Are my ears playing tricks or was such a beast in existence? 

#4 john aston

john aston

• 2,700 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 07:58

I suspect it was more likely to be  a mangled reference to the Imp engine, which , as we know, had a Coventry Climax genesis . 

As for styling , I adored it, but some preferred the more conventional styling of its rival , the Ginetta G15 .  I can report that driving my peacock blue Clan through remote Lincolnshire  villages produced the same reaction as if I'd been piloting a UFO. They're still talking about it in Mavis Enderby and Old Bolingbroke I  hear...

The Clan was originally conceived as a possible Lotus Seven replacement , and was conceived by former Lotus guy Paul Hassauer, and built in Washington Co Durham . There are still a number being raced and hill climbed    

#5 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 09:43

They're still talking about it in Mavis Enderby and Old Bolingbroke I  hear...

I've seen it claimed that beneath a rustic road sign reading 'To Mavis Enderby and Old Bolingbroke', someone had scrawled 'The gift of a son'.

re. the engines - I thought he was referring to a Climax/twin cam battle... no?

Whilst it's great to see a film about a car such as the Crusader, was I alone in finding the ridiculously over hyped presentation more than a little annoying?

Who was the regular Clan hillclimber - was it Paul Turner?

Edited by 2F-001, 14 March 2021 - 09:43.

#6 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:25

I've seen it claimed that beneath a rustic road sign reading 'To Mavis Enderby and Old Bolingbroke', someone had scrawled 'The gift of a son'.

re. the engines - I thought he was referring to a Climax/twin cam battle... no?

Whilst it's great to see a film about a car such as the Crusader, was I alone in finding the ridiculously over hyped presentation more than a little annoying?

Who was the regular Clan hillclimber - was it Paul Turner?

In truth I found the imported images a bit naff, particularly the awful Transit that popped up a few times. But an interesting watch. I am grateful it was produced.

#7 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:32

I am grateful it was produced.

Oh, indeed. I didn't mean to decry its existence - merely the details of its execution.

#8 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,586 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 08:10

Oh, indeed. I didn't mean to decry its existence - merely the details of its execution.

I expect that there wasn't a huge budget. The quality of the "stills" left a bit to be desired. Never the less an interesting short.

#9 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 08:37

It wasn't the production values that bothered me - it was the script.

#10 brakedisc

brakedisc

• 225 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 00:04

It wasn't the production values that bothered me - it was the script.

You will be delighted to hear that the film maker has been told by someone he really respects that he should consider submitting the film into the International Motor Film Awards.

#11 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 11:46

In that case, perhaps I should enter my Lotus 72 documentary as well....