Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Bottas (briefly!) holding up Hamilton mid-Spanish GP: significant?

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,821 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 14:25

It's the middle of the Spanish Grand Prix and Lewis Hamilton, on an interesting strategy, is hunting down Verstappen but needs to take a second-plus out of Max's lead per lap.

Merc teammate Bottas is scheduled to pit soon on a different strategy, but plays the local commuter train holding up the Hamilton Express instead of waving Lewis through. Net loss: 1-1.5 seconds, according to Jolyon.

Was that significant? A microaggression? Were Mercedes confident enough in their strategy not to make Valtteri pull over? Is Bottas' AI becoming self-aware? I don't know. Worthy of a little comment I think. What do you all think?

Advertisement

#2 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,719 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 14:30

It looked like he had a bit of a cob on but for what? Not being quick enough? Ultimately, that just looked silly.

#3 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 14:34

Silly of him to be fighting.

#4 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 14:46

no

#5 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,102 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 14:48

Not significant, but only because Bottas is never much use to the team as a whole anyway.

#6 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,557 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 14:49

I hate to see teammates just moving over for each other, so no complaints here. Ultimately, didn’t make any difference anyway. The Mercedes was just so much faster on fresh tyres.

#7 Coral

Coral

• 6,788 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 14:49

Bottas will have some explaining to do to Toto regarding holding up Lewis. Lewis lost 1.5 seconds to Max due to that. Brundle just said that perhaps Bottas' relationship with Mercedes is not at its best...that is an understatement I think.

#8 Dratini

Dratini

• 2,536 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 14:50

Significant in that it brought me great satisfaction.

#9 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 14:51

When you're down on pace, the onyl thing you've got is being a team player. Well I guess thats out of the window now too. In hindsight did it matter? No. At the time, it could have made the difference. Its just petulant. Wont be sad when Russell replaces him.

#10 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 14:53

IMO it doesn't matter. Merc knows how to manage him. If anything IMO Bottas was showing the frustration with himself, not being able to be on Ham's level. From what happens on track, I think the gap over a lap to Hamilton in race trim has grown a bit. That can't be good for Bottas ambitions.

This season so far he himself firmly cements his #2 driver status.

#11 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 14:55

I hate to see teammates just moving over for each other, so no complaints here. Ultimately, didn’t make any difference anyway. The Mercedes was just so much faster on fresh tyres.

Nether do I, when the cars are racing each other. In this case though was Bottas actually racing Hamilton? If he was always going to pit anyway, I’d wonder what the point of him holding Lewis up was.

Still, it gave us a proper overtake into new turn 10.

#12 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 14:55

Isnt it somehow more humiliating that Lewis ended up passing him for real on a more difficult spot?

#13 Anja

Anja

• 10,354 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 14:56

Not that I'm against it but he certainly picked a very weird moment to start with this fighting spirit. 

#14 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 14:58

'Bottas briefly...' - full stop.

Expect entities like the Daily Fail to turn this microaggression into full geopolitical macroarmageddon.

Sadly Bottas just doesn't matter at all - microedgelord at best.

Edited by OvDrone, 09 May 2021 - 15:00.

#15 Nigol

Nigol

• 2,744 posts

Not that I'm against it but he certainly picked a very weird moment to start with this fighting spirit. 

haha

#16 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 3,642 posts

Always has and will be super fast over one lap but he's now well and truly stuck in a position where he's powerless to be anything more than doing his bit towards the constructors title at Mercedes and he knows it. Can understand it makes him feel not particularly great letting Hamilton by but he's the only one that can sort out his race pace to avoid being in that position so often.

He never used to be this bad on race pace to Lewis in his first few seasons but it's getting a bit old now.

#17 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:00

Blotted his copybook - otherwise was a great wingman today. .... was there to make the strategy possible (with SP being too far back to be a factor) and didnt attack SLH who had a poor first lap. 

But yeah, that was not cool....

Presumably has not been told yet that he is back for 2022.

#18 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:02

IMO it doesn't matter. Merc knows how to manage him. If anything IMO Bottas was showing the frustration with himself, not being able to be on Ham's level. From what happens on track, I think the gap over a lap to Hamilton in race trim has grown a bit. That can't be good for Bottas ambitions.

This season so far he himself firmly cements his #2 driver status.

He is up against 2 great drivers in equal cars .... its not his fault he is not as good as them... that is just how life is sometimes. Its better he accepts that they are better than him - it will make it easier for him to live with himself.

#19 anyeis

anyeis

• 2,176 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:04

Moving off line is not great.

He was 1.8s seconds faster than Max.. not a issue

Edited by anyeis, 09 May 2021 - 15:04.

Advertisement

#20 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,609 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:10

Bizarre thing for him to do.

As marklar said, only more embarrassing for him to be the only car passed at T10 and by someone in the same machinery.

Can’t imagine it will have done his relationship with Merc any good. If I were Wolf, I’d tell him that do that one more time and he’s out of F1. Or I’d be tempted to bring Russell in right now. It’s a tight championship, can’t afford to muck about.

Can’t think of what it gained him.

#21 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,815 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:15

Great food for the media to drum up even more fake drama about the second Mercedes seat.

#22 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,650 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:16

As marklar said, only more embarrassing for him to be the only car passed at T10 and by someone in the same machinery.

Can’t imagine it will have done his relationship with Merc any good. If I were Wolf, I’d tell him that do that one more time and he’s out of F1. Or I’d be tempted to bring Russell in right now. It’s a tight championship, can’t afford to muck about.

Like someone said in the race thread, probably already knowing he will be out next year.

#23 JoshKing

JoshKing

• 87 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:17

Can't wait to hear all about this in DTS.

#24 w00dy

w00dy

• 1,306 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:18

If they wanted to do 2 stop, like HAM said after the race, they should have pitted BOT before Lewis catching up to him, save everyone some face.

#25 ZZei

ZZei

• 614 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:19

Its bizarre of him not to compromise his line and pick up dirt on old tyres? Its not like he made any defensive moves either. 

Also, didnt know Bottas has a contract that forbids him moving to an other team next year. Well, only tells about the bias of this forum, when even the hosts are spewing this nonsense. 

#26 KavB

KavB

• 1,594 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:22

If he knows he is out for next season then I don't blame him. We all know he isn't in this title fight but obviously he believes he is. Hamilton is the favourite so it makes sense to try and deny him extra points.

If there is a chance he will stay with Mercedes next year then it was a silly move. He's in that seat because he is reliable and generally can be counted on to play the team game. If he creates friction then it makes it easier for Mercedes to take a chance on someone else.

#27 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:24

He was not asked by James that is why

#28 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,221 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:24

He only slightly held him up, pretty sure he lifted a little on T10 (though there was a little hesitation there as he was unsure whether to turn in or not, then saw Lewis).

I guess it was just a little more of his internal quest to convince himself he's more than a #2 and is racing for himself too.

Bit pointless but hey it didn't end up costing Lewis the win.

#29 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,828 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:29

TV trying for some controversy.  If Merc are going to can BOT based on that one lap...they aren't.

Also, the fact that it happened in T10 means that BOT really wasn't making it hard.  It's not like he did a Suzuka on HAM.

#30 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,719 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:33

Fwiw, Bottas freely admitting he fought to keep Hamilton back on Sky.

#31 Coral

Coral

• 6,788 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:34

Bottas interviewed on Sky..."I'm here to race, not to let people by."

Your teammate was going for the race win, you muppet, your job is not to hold him up, especially as you are due to pit!

I previously felt a bit sorry for Bottas, but. now I just want him gone. :well:

#32 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,082 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:35

Fwiw, Bottas freely admitting he fought to keep Hamilton back on Sky.

Yep, and he looks extremely deflated, don't think I've ever seen Bottas so down, and he has had plenty of reasons to be disappointed in the past

#33 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:37

Sometimes you gotta stick it to the man . . .

And just as frequently, as here, futile.  ;)

#34 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

No horse in this race as far as team mates but I thought it was very unnecessary from Bottas. Move the hell over so we can see Lewis vs Max.

#35 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Bizarre move by Bottas.

Is this what people are wishing Bottas to be better at?

What Bottas needs is better tyre managment/race pace to begin with and measured agression when it really matters.

That will put him in true contention.

Not these shenanigans.

Edited by Timstr11, 09 May 2021 - 15:38.

#36 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,639 posts

Bottas should have a good look at what Mclaren and Ferrari did in the last three races.

In Imola, Portimao and Barcelona, at various stages of the race the slower driver waved the faster one by.

#37 Metronazol

Metronazol

• 270 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:40

The writing is on the wall for Bottas, and if that is the case then going out on his sword is something I respect far more than being subservient and still being shown the door at the end of the year. All totally futile mind.

#38 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,609 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:40

Its bizarre of him not to compromise his line and pick up dirt on old tyres? Its not like he made any defensive moves either.
Also, didnt know Bottas has a contract that forbids him moving to an other team next year. Well, only tells about the bias of this forum, when even the hosts are spewing this nonsense.

Its bizarre of him to disobey an order from the team that gained him nothing. He was in an easy third place, at no risk of losing out to LeClerc and with no hope of keeping Hamilton behind him. He was about to swap those tyres you think he needed to protect anyway.

I meant for this season. Of course any other team could pick him up next season.

#39 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:41

Seems he is getting tired of being a wingman, probably a sign that he is going to be replaced?

Advertisement

#40 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:42

Bottas interviewed on Sky..."I'm here to race, not to let people by."

Your teammate was going for the race win, you muppet, your job is not to hold him up, especially as you are due to pit!

I previously felt a bit sorry for Bottas, but. now I just want him gone. :well:

You don't know how to express yourself without insulting someone you don't know, just because he wants to fight your favorite driver ?

#41 Garndell

Garndell

• 1,287 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:44

Asa Crofty would say "he knows he's out on his Bottarse next year".  Sorry, I shall hang my head in shame for invoking Herr Croft.  :blush:  :cry:  :eek:

#42 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:45

You don't know how to express yourself without insulting someone you don't know, just because he wants to fight your favorite driver ?

It was a pointless fight. Really stupid stuff from Bottas.

He lost the race to Lewis way before he tried to make it difficult for Lewis to chase down Max. Moronic.

#43 ZZei

ZZei

• 614 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:46

Bizarre move by Bottas.

Is this what people are wishing Bottas to be better at?

What Bottas needs is better tyre managment/race pace to begin with and measured agression when it really matters.

That will put him in true contention.

Not these shenanigans.

What move are you talking about? People seriosly talking like the made some defensive moves or something. Expecting Bottas to just let Hamilton by like he was being blue flagged is a bit naive, dont you think. Even then he would be laughed at, as this forum sees him as nothing more than a thing thats just blocking Russell a merc drive. 

#44 hayabusasc

hayabusasc

• 1,319 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:47

Bottas had to do something to keep himself relevant as his lack of talent vs Max and Lewis is becoming clearer each race.

Similar strategy to his Imola crash...

#45 flingsofdeon

flingsofdeon

• 601 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:47

It was a simple case of staying true to himself and making a point. Yes it was futile but I bet he feels better about himself for doing it and it made 0 impact on the race outcome.

#46 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:48

But luckily for him he has something to do when he loses his Mercedes seat, he will focus on playing the piano, he is a better pianist than a driver I think

#47 Makrar

Makrar

• 24 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:49

Its the move of someone who knows hes leaving the team at the end of year.

#48 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:50

Anyway, it's his last year at Mercedes for sure. The guy was happy to let Lewis by all these years and now he is acting tough.

Hamilton really destroyed Bottas mentally, so now everytime he will see Hamilton in his mirror he will be extra tough, more than if it's Verstappen behind. And with this mindset, you are already out of the team, and you are already lost your fight again Lewis.

If Red Bull wants to bother Mercedes, Perez will be crucial, he really need to step up this game, and we will quickly see that in the fight again Lewis, Bottas will be an asset to Red Bull. In the race Mercedes is clearly faster, but if Red Bull can be faster during quali, they can hope for something in the championship. But Perez will have to be within 2 tenths of Verstappen

Edited by Massa, 09 May 2021 - 15:50.

#49 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:51

What move are you talking about? People seriosly talking like the made some defensive moves or something. Expecting Bottas to just let Hamilton by like he was being blue flagged is a bit naive, dont you think. Even then he would be laughed at, as this forum sees him as nothing more than a thing thats just blocking Russell a merc drive. 

It isn't. Unlike many, I still see F1 as a team sport.

If Bottas wants to make these choices difficult for his team, he should be much closer to Hamilton in performance. He is not.

He's been sitting behind Leclerc for half the race without even mounting a serious challenge. That's where he needs to improve. Not blocking his team mate on a different stratgey fighting for the team to win the race.

Edited by Timstr11, 09 May 2021 - 15:52.

#50 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,910 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 15:52

Can't wait to hear all about this in DTS.

This happened for real. DTS is only fake stuff.