Photo

Vauxhalls in the 1968 London Sydney Marathon

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 griffinvale

griffinvale

• 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 06:09

Hi, I am researching the 3 Vauxhalls that competed in the 1968 London Sydney Marathon. One Ventora crashed in Yugoslavia, one Ventora made it to Sydney and a Viva GT entered by Nobuo Koga retired at Brachina TC.

Does anybody have pictures or information on any of the above, I know Laurie Mason has the car that finished.

Does anybody have a copy of Robert Connors book "The 1968 London to Sydney Marathon", I believe there is a picture of the Viva GT on page 199.

Does anyone know what happened to the Viva after it retired?

Any help appreciated.

Leigh.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,257 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 13:51

What is the 'TC'?

Max Stahl's epic report on the event in Racing Car News might be worth a look.

Max would have every book about that event, I'm sure. But I can't go to his place because he's in lockdown.

#3 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 14:09

TC is probably Time Control, Ray.

I hope you are all safe and well in your “bit of Paradise”

Roger

#4 griffinvale

griffinvale

• 26 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 02:45

Thanks Ray, Roger is correct - the TC does stand for Time Control - sorry I assumed the knowledgeable here would know that. 

#5 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,874 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 09:51

Looks like the Vauxhall that reached Sydney was Dave Walker's Jim Russell International Racing Drivers School entry. The then, soon to be Lotus F1 driver.

Stephen

#6 griffinvale

griffinvale

• 26 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 00:33

Hi Stephen, yes, that's the one. It stayed here and was owned for many years by an enthusiast in NSW. Laurie Mason purchased it a while ago and it now looks wonderful and goes as it should. 

I assume the other Ventora that rolled in Yugoslavia was left there but the Viva got all the way to the Flinders Ranges before it was retired. I would like to find out why it retired and whether it stayed here or went back to England.

Leigh.

Edited by griffinvale, 20 August 2021 - 00:33.

#7 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,874 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 02:52

This subject is potentially something Hal Moloney has researched. As indeed John Smailes with his in period book and more recent 50th anniversary offering.

One also has to consider whether car 95 Viva with it's Japanese drivers would have been sent home to Japan, rather than UK. If indeed either.

Here's the crashed Cecil Woodley car 67

1968-London-Sydney-car-67-TNF.jpg

Stephen

#8 griffinvale

griffinvale

• 26 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 06:43

Hi Stephen,

I dont know what caused the Viva to retire, if it was crashed it might well have stayed here and been scrapped, otherwise I suspect it may have gone back to England. Doubt if it would have gone to Japan, no market for it there. I am wondering if it went back to England was it repaired and if so was it repaired to rally standard and reraced or if it was put back into road trim and sold off?

Leigh.

#9 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 06:29

Knowing Vivas I am surprised it got out of Europe. Not the worlds best car by any imagination.

Though watching rally vids the Opel versions are still being used.

The HB Viva in England,, the HB Torana here was a poor car though looked alright.

The English HC, far from a clean sheet of paper was extensively modified here in Oz as the Torana 6. Similar floor but the 'chassis was a LOT bigger and the front chassis was a lot stronger and about 200mm longer as well.

Very much a compromise of a car as you sat with the steering wheel offset one way, the pedals offset the other and like all of those cars in 2 door you drove with your right shoulder raised to keep the belt on your shoulder. But in XU1 form were quick little beasts. 

And even faster with a 6 litre Chev!!

Though to compare the Torana 6 with the TC Cortina was chalk and Cheese. One was comfortable and wider. Though the suspension did not like bumps!!

#10 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 11:23

Hi Stephen,

I dont know what caused the Viva to retire, if it was crashed it might well have stayed here and been scrapped, otherwise I suspect it may have gone back to England. Doubt if it would have gone to Japan, no market for it there. I am wondering if it went back to England was it repaired and if so was it repaired to rally standard and reraced or if it was put back into road trim and sold off?

Leigh

I wonder who owned the Viva and what it's registration number was?  And how badly was it damaged? 

If the Japanese crew had bought it, they would probably have sold the remains in Australia as there would little interest in it back in Japan.  I doubt anyone would feel it was worthwhile repatriating it to the UK unless it was actually owned by Vauxhall.  Nobody in the UK was rallying Vivas at that time so i doubt it had a further competitive life.  Most likely a scrapper, unless some Aussie found it repairable.  As Lee has mentioned, the car was around in Australia as a Holden, so body panels should have been available.

#11 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 21:46

I doubt it would have been repaired for rallying in the UK, for the simple reason that immediately after 68 London Sydney no one would have foreseen such an event ever being repeated and UK rallying required a lighter simpler car than the marathons. Chris Coburn was certainly rallying a Viva by then (PUV375F on the 68 Gulf London International) and entered one in the next marathon (70 WCR, DBH100F).

I can think of one Cortina that did  68 London Sydney and went on to do 70 WCR but that is an exception. Generally a "marathon" car would have had no place in later UK rallies.

"Reraced"??  I have to repeat the mantra "a rally is not a race and any calling it such still has serious insurance implications in the UK"