* * * - - 1 votes

2021 Italian GP build up

• Please log in to reply
1392 replies to this topic

#1 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 23:16

After the Temple of Max, it's time for the Temple of Speed. F1 swaps the sandy shores of Zandvoort for the fearsome forests of Monza, as the latest whirlwind of races concludes with the fifth Italian event in just over a year.

From banked corners to smooth straights, a complete contrast to last week, and a unique one-off for the teams.

We've not reached the run-in just yet, but it's getting to that time of the season where every pole, podium, point and overtake starts to mean that much more ... a classic track for a classic season, will we see a classic race?

It's Round 14 of the 2021 FIA Formula One World Championship, featuring F1 SPRINT for the second time.

MonzaOP.jpg

TrackOP.png

Musings for Monza
Mercedes start the weekend as favourites and is seemingly in a bullish mood in spite of their Holland Humbling. If any circuit is going to favour them over Red Bull, it has to be this one, as the trend has been for the W12 to hold a comfortable straight-line-speed advantage over the RB16B when running similar downforce levels. They could probably do without the sprint format shaking up the schedule, but the reward for maximising their assumed advantage could be a full complement of 29 priceless points for Hamilton's championship charge. Bottas' now-confirmed final stint as a Mercedes driver starts here, will it be friend or foe to season end?

Verstappen needn't fear Italian circuits anymore after breaking the curse d'italia with victory at Imola, but will be plenty worried at the task ahead of him. It has been a wretched run at Monza with a best result of 5th after six attempts. Will it be a rare weekend of damage-limitation, or can Honda overcome the inherent weakness of the high-rake philosophy to extinguish the Mercedes hubris? The sprint may favour Verstappen's relentless race pace and allow him to vault up the grid for Sunday's start, but similarly may consign him to an all-too-familiar DRS train. Perez's mid-season slide shows no signs of stopping, but a brand new PU may help him recover at the most sensitive of power circuits.

Ferrari's fifth home race in a year is likely their most promising. A year on from an ignominious no-score, they can race at Monza with pride. The much-vaunted engine upgrade won't arrive for a few more races, but they can still set their sights on solid points in front of the home crowd. Leclerc, as usual, will be the driving force, but Sainz will have memories of a lost victory lost year, and will be pushing equally as hard. The threat from Woking will be real and strong at this track, so maximising every point will be crucial.

McLaren will share Sainz's painful memory of a bittersweet second place in 2020. Nine years without a win, could it be this weekend? A chassis and engine combination that's been lightning quick on the straights all year. Dark horses at the home of the old enemy? Norris will be glad to race so soon after a puzzling off-weekend. Ricciardo cannot afford another regression if he's to influence the fight for P3 WCC, but confidence on the brakes is paramount and has evaded him all season.

Alpine will look to their 4-5 in 2019 and 6-8 in 2020 as evidence they can spring another surprise this weekend. A team that has always excelled at low-downforce tracks in recent years, in spite of their middling engine. A double points score last time helped to fend off the one-man challenge from Alpha Tauri, and it will likely need more of the same if they are to retain P5 in the constructors. Alonso has well and truly hit his stride now, and Ocon is not far behind at all.

Alpha Tauri triumphantly returns to the scene of their magical victory with a strong package and last year's race winner on top form. Similar to McLaren, they've been particularly quick in a straight line, and their car philosophy is far more benign than the big-brother team. A great opportunity to leapfrog Alpine in the yo-yo battle for P5 WCC. Curiously, the lack of practice and quirky parc ferme rules from the Silverstone Sprint seemed to hurt them the most, worth keeping an eye on. Both Gasly and Tsunoda are fresh from their confirmed renewal, with Yuki desperate to repay the faith shown in him. The circuit characteristics are reasonably close to Bahrain and Baku, the two circuits where he's shone this year. Can Italy's second team upstage numero uno?

Aston Martin's mid-season flourish has come to a juddering halt, mired in a paltry 7th place in the constructors', almost closer to Williams in 8th than AT in 6th. Vettel's frustrating inconsistency continues, a strong quali performance at Spa followed by an anonymous weekend and customary spin at Zandvoort, only for his pace to suddenly appear with 20 laps to go. Stroll is similarly anonymous, but don't forget his podium from 12 months ago. They've likely got the engine of choice at this track, and have fared reasonably well in low-downforce trim so far, but it will take a big turnaround to make something of their season.

Williams will be counting down the days until George's departure, but know they've still got him under lock and key for the rest of 2021. They seem to be improving race-by-race, and Monza should again suit them like a glove in comparison to their nearest rivals. The NissanyWingâ„¢ didn't appear at Spa, but surely will this weekend. Another outside shot at Q3 seems possible, but the sprint format may play to their disadvantage in terms of retaining track position come Sunday. Latifi must temper his improved pace with keeping it out of the barriers.

Alfa Romeo enter the weekend in much better shape than last year, but still a ways away from challenging for points. Giovinazzi's brief spell battling the Ferraris in Zandvoort didn't last long, but he'll be buoyed by a rare Q3 appearance. He'll need more of the same as he battles for his future. Home race klaxon. Super-sub-Kub replaces Kimi again for what will likely be his fond farewell to F1, and where better to wave goodbye than at the same track where he scored his maiden podium in 2006? Go well, Robert.

Haas' monopoly on the back row is almost certain to continue, but an emotional weekend for Mick as he makes his F1 debut at a track that means so much to the family name. A reminder that his first F2 feature race win came here last year. Mazepin blotted his copybook again last week, and in spite of taking a very small step in pace, the high-stakes high-jinks has to stop at F1's fastest circuit.

Sprint Qualifying refresh
F1-sprint.png
Sprint-qualifying.jpg

• Q2 rule scrapped
  • Softs only for qualifying
  • Start both the sprint race and main race on whatever tyre you want

The 100km grid-setter will be 18 laps.

Weather, Tyres
(.gif)

Spoiler

Fri - Dry, sunny, 28c
Sat - Dry, sunny, 29c
Sun - Dry, sunny, 28c

Pirelli-Monza.jpg

I often forget that this counts as a home race for Pirelli, too.

Just like Silverstone, there's a tweak in tyre allocation. Each driver will have twelve (rather than thirteen) sets of tyres, 6 soft, 4 med, 2 hard. In conjunction with the new format, I found the new tyre allocation/rules gave the teams much more freedom throughout the weekend at Silverstone.

Tyre pressures: 24.0 psi (front) | 21.5 psi (rear)
Fronts -2.0 psi versus last year, rears the same.

Schedule (it's slightly tweaked from Silverstone because of the time zone)

BST (UK)  |  CEST (Most of Europe)
FP1      1330         1430
Q        1700         1800
FP2      1100         1200
SQ       1530         1630
R        1400         1500

Time zone conversion here.

A welcome return for the small, oft-forgotten, inconsequential /s Formula 2 championship, as well as Supercup and the mysterious Sports Prototype Cup. Full schedule.

--

Thoughts, predictions, wing level analysis, speed trap pondering and iconic corner re-naming suggestions all welcome below :up:

Edited by TomNokoe, 09 September 2021 - 00:17.

Advertisement

#2 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 05:06

3 weeks in a row, technically only 2 races, lets bring it on this week again !

#3 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 07:05

Gods, I'd forgotten about the sprint race. I rather hoped the FIA had too.

No doubt they will pronounce it a success regardless.

I think I've arranged a doctor's appointment to coincide with the sprint race. I have a phobia of doctors. 

Monza...temple of speed, where they say the ghosts of racing drivers past linger. Tifosi. Flags. Intense passion. Max Vs Lewis. Looking forward to Sunday afternoon.

#4 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 07:15

Hot temps 28 deg sat & sun.
Tyre wear could spice things up?
I seem to remember Ferrari being good at hot races but maybe that was before they got caught cheating?

Hot they can get up the front end and split the usual top 2.

Hope the sprint is action packed and the grid gets messed up a bit.
Surely no DRS trains here!

#5 mikeC

mikeC

• 1,061 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 07:28

I think I've arranged a doctor's appointment to coincide with the sprint race. I have a phobia of doctors

Monza...temple of speed, where they say the ghosts of racing drivers past linger. Tifosi. Flags. Intense passion. Max Vs Lewis. Looking forward to Sunday afternoon.

So, a phobia for doctors and a phobia for sprint races; which will win?  :drunk:

#6 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,127 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 07:28

Unfortunately, not a lot of tifosi expected.

Only 15K tickets sold for Sunday so far, and 30% of them are Verstappen fans from Netherlands.

Ticket prices were insane high, and there's only 50% capacity allowed.

#7 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 07:31

1134781d1378460081-2013-f1-italian-grand

#8 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:06

Only 15K tickets sold for Sunday so far, and 30% of them are Verstappen fans from Netherlands.

They only started selling a month ago and there are a plethore of covid rules you need to follow. Combined with high prices, most people will watch it on TV instead.

Ah, joker laps incoming. :p

Looking at Zandvoort, Monza knows that  it needs to bring some gravel back in Parabolica Alboreto.

Qualy on Friday at 18.00. Yeah, like I'm not having dinner. :X GTFO with this stupid scheduling. Run Friday as usual and do Q for SQ on the FP3 time.

#9 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:36

I’d rate that as the same probability that the usual suspects round here will hate it no matter how good a race it is.

#10 Rediscoveryx

Rediscoveryx

• 3,427 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:43

I’d rate that as the same probability that the usual suspects round here will hate it no matter how good a race it is.

To be fair to us detractors - the main issue isn't whether or not the sprint race is "good" or "bad" in itself - it's that it is likely to make the actual race a lot less interesting, as it increases the probability that they'll line up in race pace order on Sunday.

#11 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:47

With 18 laps times 75 seconds a lap, it will only last about 22 minutes. I used to have a full hour of tense qualifying on Saturday.

#12 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,874 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:47

Well, I will be out thanks to my sister asking me for a roast dinner but will watch it when I get back

#13 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,223 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:49

Die sprint race, die.

#14 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,127 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:52

Blink & you'll miss that sprint race  :lol:  

Should have been at least 30 laps

#15 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:59

I wonder if mazespin will keep it on the road this weekend for a change?
Slow Haas might try what Bennetton did in 99 and run the smallest rear wing ive seen.
Didnt pay off from memory they were struggling to keep ot in the track.

Yep the sprints are over far too quickly.
Id take more track time any day.

In a perfect world they would have mid week equal kart races to keep us addicts satisfied.

#16 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,723 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:06

Looking forward to Sprint Race.

#17 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:09

[Sergio Rodríguez] Mercedes thinking of changing the engines and get a penalty in Italy, as per SoyMotor reports! They want to get through the end of the season with fresh compounds

#18 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:13

[Sergio Rodríguez] Mercedes thinking of changing the engines and get a penalty in Italy, as per SoyMotor reports! They want to get through the end of the season with fresh compounds

lol they took Toto's joke seriously

#19 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:22

I calculated usage here: https://forums.autos...29#entry9592318

A quick calc of possible usage.

PU1: weekend: 1-5; friday 7-9 & 11+13
Used for 10 fridays + 5 sat/sun

PU2: weekend 6+10; sat+sun: 7-9+11
Used for 2 fridays + 6 sat/sun incl 1 SQ. 

PU3: weekend 12 + sat+sun: 13
Used for 1 friday + 2 sat/sun

PU2 has run less Fridays, but did one more race, qualy and a sprint qualy. So how many Fridays will it have left? Perhaps it will run untill the end of the year?

PU3 has to do 9 races incl 2 sprint qualy weekends, running much further than PU1/2 in race trim.

As I expect, they need another set to make it to the end or risk running very old engines. PU1 failed 'on time' though.

Edited by SenorSjon, 09 September 2021 - 09:22.

Advertisement

#20 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:24

Die sprint race, die.

😅

#21 Laster

Laster

• 3,926 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:31

Oh yeah, I completely forgot they were doing the whole sprint race qualifying thing.

Edited by Laster, 09 September 2021 - 09:31.

#22 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,484 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:31

Will the soft tyre be able to last the Sprint race? Perhaps worth the gamble, especially if there's a safety car / VSC.

#23 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,751 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:32

Doesn't it make sense to take an engine penalty in a weekend with a sprint race?

#24 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,846 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:33

Doesn't it make sense to take an engine penalty in a weekend with a sprint race?

Doesnt make a difference. Penalty applies to the race, not the sprint. 

#25 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,751 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:34

Doesnt make a difference. Penalty applies to the race, not the sprint. 

So no smart loophole. Thanks.

#26 Anja

Anja

• 10,355 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:35

In Silverstone nothing happened after the first few laps anyway. 

#27 mjjTT

mjjTT

• 515 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 10:03

Looking on the formula1 site. Only tickets for all 3 days are available. That's 438,33 euro.

#28 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,857 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 10:03

Ah back to annoying sprint weekend timings. I could watch quali on Friday whilst working at home if it was the normal time, but now its in the evening I'm out. 

Mild annoyance I guess. 

I'm also missing all of Saturday as I'm out again, and most likely watching the race on delay on Sunday as the damn 2pm start time means I have to miss it for other activities in the afternoon. 

Edited by JimmyClark, 09 September 2021 - 10:04.

#29 ANF

ANF

• 29,547 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 10:06

Looking on the formula1 site. Only tickets for all 3 days are available. That's 438,33 euro.

I don't know why but there are many more tickets available at tickets.monzanet.it.

#30 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,359 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 10:10

Quali on Friday during working hours. Seriously, fvck you, Liberty, FOM, Fia who ever singned of on this sh!t.  :mad:

#31 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 10:20

Quali on Friday during working hours. Seriously, fvck you, Liberty, FOM, Fia who ever singned of on this sh!t.  :mad:

But it is a massive success. Our own posted social media snippets said so and we surveyed before SQ, saying it is a succes. 

Most notable is the F1 Fan Survey newsletter had zero on the SQ survey. 

#32 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,686 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 10:27

So no smart loophole. Thanks.

I would be a classic Mercedes error to misread the rules and think they outsmarted the rest by thinking they can take the grid penalty at the sprint race though  :p

#33 Shuffle

Shuffle

• 155 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 10:37

Just seen this as well, already wasn't a fan of the Quali-Sprint Race, but now I can't even watch qualifying because I'll be at work. Fantastic.

#34 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 10:42

So, a phobia for doctors and a phobia for sprint races; which will win?  :drunk:

The sprint race is more a strong dislike and fundamental view that the way they've integrated it into the race weekend is wrong.

I have a genuine phobia of doctors and although this is only a stupid little talk over the phone to review something we decided months ago, I'm already crapping myself about it 50 hours beforehand.

But looking forward to Sunday's race. Monza is a bit special even if the racing isn't always great these days. But with the Red Bull and Mercedes looking very close we might get some excitement....and I imagine Lando's McLaren won't be far behind.

#35 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,846 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 10:51

Was this shared already?

https://www.carscoop...nza-f1-weekend/

Looks quite nice!

#36 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 5,599 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:25

#37 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:29

I don't know why but there are many more tickets available at tickets.monzanet.it.

Not for sale on other ticket sites. I had weekend tickets for last year for ~350/ticket in 6B (first chicane). This year, the same ticket is 620 euro PLUS a host of corona misery rules. No thank you.

#38 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 1,232 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:43

Can anyone care to explain this intriguing photo? 2 layouts, 1 joint layout, long lap, short lap?

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 09 September 2021 - 11:45.

#39 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:45

Can anyone care to explain this intriguing photo? 2 layouts, 1 joint layout, long lap, short lap?

1441370678767.jpg

Advertisement

#40 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 1,232 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:50

1441370678767.jpg

This is brilliant! Finally enlightened after 25 years of watching F1 :)

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 09 September 2021 - 11:50.

#41 solochamp07

solochamp07

• 502 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:24

Thank you Tom for a great op!   :up:

My enthusiasm for this weekend, and this thread, have been hard to disguise but now one is here and the other nigh.

Really hoping Mercedes can be competitive here, not because I prefer them, I just like the ebb and flow as the protagonists exchange the advantage, would love this to continue to the end.

Been following Alonso's progress this year with great interest and satisfaction, not expecting the Alpines to go well here, Fernando will have a tough go to extend his point scoring streak.

Predicting good performances from Williams, AM, AT and McLaren should be very strong. This year has been fascinating and nail-biting throughout, hopefully the sprint race will provide some Sunday intrigue rather than just sort the cars by pace.

Enjoy the event everyone, I'll be glued to my seat as always.

#42 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:35

LOL, same here. The sprint race is just an uncomfortable wait for he qualifying results.

#43 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,857 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:38

Oh man, I miss watching the drivers just having to kiss the white line for the whole of the exit of Parabolica. I really wish they'd put gravel back at the second part of that corner. 

#44 PedroDiCasttro

PedroDiCasttro

• 2,633 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:40

As someone posted in here before, seeing qualifying being reduced to a twentyish minutes affair is disappointing.

And it's not like the drivers are able of doing much in such a short race for qualifying.

And most people can't watch the "true" qualifying on friday since it takes place during working hours.

Monza and Silverstone deserved better.

#45 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,176 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:42

If a driver takes an engine penalty before the sprint, does the grid penalty affect the sprint or the Grand Prix ?

#46 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:42

Any talk of gravel returning to Parabolica and the second chicane?

To be fair to us detractors - the main issue isn't whether or not the sprint race is "good" or "bad" in itself - it's that it is likely to make the actual race a lot less interesting, as it increases the probability that they'll line up in race pace order on Sunday.

Perfectly explained!

#47 solochamp07

solochamp07

• 502 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:44

That sound, though

They could have run spa this year with those engines, nobody would have had a problem with visibility!

#48 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,686 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:45

If a driver takes an engine penalty before the sprint, does the grid penalty affect the sprint or the Grand Prix ?

Grid penalty is applied for the race. Bolded part was added to the Sporting Regulations after the sprint race was introduced.

Should a driver use more than the numbers set in a) above of any one of the elements during a Championship, a race grid place penalty will be imposed upon him at the first 2021 Event during which each additional element is used.

#49 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,961 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:49

Yeah, it think Monza Gp should be 350km anyway

#50 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,639 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:52

Yeah, it think Monza Gp should be 350km anyway

Exactly - Monza is way too short. Singapore could do with 30km less, while Monza and Spa would need about 50 more :)