* * * * * 1 votes

Sky buys IndyCar rights to 2024

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,180 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 10:10

Sky will also air IndyCar exclusively across Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Ireland, and Italy.

https://motorsportbr...il-2024-season/

Advertisement

#2 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 10:45

good news

#3 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,843 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 11:34

#GaymorVision #ThisAdBreakSponsoredByArrow #BackToTheCupboard

#4 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,279 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 11:50

Hopefully Jack Harvey, Calum Illot and Tom Chilton will give British viewers some great results over that period 

#5 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 11:54

Not expecting much out of any Chilton, tbh.

#6 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,286 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 12:16

lol@Paccie’s WrongReigate Reference

Anyway I could not be happier as a worldwide Comcast customer.
Wish I could get Flo to bundle my accounts.

Oh Flo?… where art thou?
Jp

#7 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,101 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 12:56

Hopefully Jack Harvey, Calum Illot and Tom Chilton will give British viewers some great results over that period 

Ooh er. I've just come off the thread about alleged British bias in the media, so I'll say: hopefully Scott Dixon, Josef Newgarden Alex Palou and Colton Herta will give British viewers some great results.

#8 owenmahamilton

owenmahamilton

• 338 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 14:23

That's great news, any chance they can find a decent commentator to replace Tom Gaymor? Someone who comes across as actually knowing what he's talking about would be good.

#9 BRG

BRG

• 25,951 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 14:57

That's great news, any chance they can find a decent commentator to replace Tom Gaymor? Someone who comes across as actually knowing what he's talking about would be good.

Hmm, do Sky actually employ anyone that fits that description?

#10 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,028 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 16:02

Very good. Wonder will Sky do some sort of a weekly magazine programme? Surely there’s something they could take from a US network?

#11 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 17:23

So Tom's going to join his little brother out there? His BTCC results have been a bit disappointing recently.

#12 djparky

djparky

• 2,006 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 17:33

Tom is filling in the endless ad breaks from the US end, he's watching on a TV screen...give him a break

#13 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,279 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 17:33

So Tom's going to join his little brother out there? His BTCC results have been a bit disappointing recently.

It was meant to be a little ribbing of Maximum - the suggestion being that Tom is the only one likely to achieve any results of note in that period. But let’s see what Carlin come up with in terms of an alliance or teammate.

#14 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,286 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 22:52

Tom is filling in the endless ad breaks from the US end, he's watching on a TV screen...give him a break

I’ve always felt that he should be talking about what we’re seeing on that helicopter shot from over the track.

”Look at those ducks paddling around on the infield lake….
One’s got out and is approaching turn 7,

…oh my”

And stuff like that.
Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 31 October 2021 - 12:56.

#15 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,843 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 14:49

It's not Tom Gaymor's fault -- iirc he was on ad break comms when Indycar was with BT and we all liked that. I think you need an extra voice in the booth. It's a really difficult job obviously because the nature of ad breaks is that the UK commentary normally takes over during caution periods, which are typically (though not invariably) uneventful.

#16 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,286 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 15:27

I feel that track sound WITHOUT voiceover is far more preferable than the need for constant yapping to show that YES, SKY are all over this odd American Indyca thingy.

That way we get to hear the open mike in the booth and all the nonsense that goes with those 3 amigos prepping for the next segment. What a hoot !!

Otherwise we get bland, meaningless chatter that ends with….
‘And now… back to the Americans’

Jp

#17 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,286 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 15:29

Nothing against Gaymor mind you…

Jp

#18 BRG

BRG

• 25,951 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 10:56

Otherwise we get bland, meaningless chatter that ends with….
‘And now… back to the Americans’....

....for more bland, meaningless chatter?

#19 Burai

Burai

• 1,897 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 12:48

It's a shame they can't put together a little highlights package for Tom to talk about during the breaks, but that would obviously take effort and money, so he just looks at motorhomes and flags instead.

Advertisement

#20 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,843 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 12:51

I would like a bit of informed chat about the drivers and cars, the silly season, race strategy principles and some of the between-races news stuff that UK viewers probably aren't getting because the action is going on in North America.

#21 Peat

Peat

• 8,873 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 13:35

I liked the 2 chaps BT Sport had doing the US breaks. They would catch you up on who was on what strategy and were usually pretty good in predicting how that would pan out.

All too often the US comms seem to get caught out by someone who pitted under the first yellow emerging as a contender after the final stops. 

#22 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 13:49

Has is ever been as good as the original Sky Sports presentation? That was when Keith Huewen and a couple of guests (usually Paul Cherry) sat in a real studio and did pre and post race. Meanwhile, Indycar had a dedicated international commentary feed of Larry Rice and I forget the other one. As they were the international feed they commentated on the racing, and didn’t need to mention the sponsors, go to ad breaks, or promote whatever was next on ABC/ESPN/channel of the day.

#23 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,286 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 16:08

Nope…never better.
Huewen was terrific.
Somehow they would get actual out of work INDYCAR drivers to sit in as well. I remember a broadcast that had Al Jr in studio !!

Jp

#24 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,277 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 17:18

Very good. Wonder will Sky do some sort of a weekly magazine programme? Surely there’s something they could take from a US network?

I would like a bit of informed chat about the drivers and cars, the silly season, race strategy principles and some of the between-races news stuff that UK viewers probably aren't getting because the action is going on in North America.

There isn't any show of this type on U.S. television. I don't think there has been a series specific show since the days of Inside CART. There hasn't been a dedicated daily or weekly motorsports news show since Speed News disappeared when Speed Channel went away.

#25 djparky

djparky

• 2,006 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 17:41

I think the Indy Car coverage we've had in the last year is the best we've ever had over here- live qualifying and practice sessions as well as race coverage

#26 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,279 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 17:50

It remains a source of some amazement that for many years now more minutes of live IndyCar are broadcast on UK television every year than on US television

#27 TheRhodesian74

TheRhodesian74

• 425 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 17:50

Has is ever been as good as the original Sky Sports presentation? That was when Keith Huewen and a couple of guests (usually Paul Cherry) sat in a real studio and did pre and post race. Meanwhile, Indycar had a dedicated international commentary feed of Larry Rice and I forget the other one. As they were the international feed they commentated on the racing, and didn’t need to mention the sponsors, go to ad breaks, or promote whatever was next on ABC/ESPN/channel of the day.

I think Gary Lee was alongside Larry Rice on commentary, I believe both are now sadly no longer with us.

#28 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 18:02

I think Gary Lee was alongside Larry Rice on commentary, I believe both are now sadly no longer with us.

That was him. Yes, that was the duo. They weren't necessarily the best, but they worked well together and most importantly, weren't selling anything.

#29 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,277 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 20:47

Lee and Rice didn't need to sell anything by that point, having successfully "sold" Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart.

#30 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,271 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 23:51

Odd coincidence that they were both 63 when they passed. Seems far too young to check out

#31 jondon

jondon

• 617 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 00:51

For all races that don`t clash with F1, Crofty could do commentary  :)

Edited by jondon, 02 November 2021 - 00:52.

#32 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,195 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 00:52

I am just here for the random Touring Car driver mention.

#33 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,286 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 01:02

I think the Indy Car coverage we've had in the last year is the best we've ever had over here- live qualifying and practice sessions as well as race coverage

Bottom line this is all that matters.
Congratulations COMCAST !
Jp

#34 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 07:34

Lee and Rice didn't need to sell anything by that point, having successfully "sold" Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart.

I don’t think the advertising problems in US broadcasts have anything to do with the commentators personally needing to sell anything.

#35 BRG

BRG

• 25,951 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 11:38

For all races that don`t clash with F1, Crofty could do commentary  :)

Now, now, you might frighten the horses with remarks like that!

So I was thinking they could get Jason Plato.  He has always liked shooting his mouth off.

#36 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,028 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 11:46

I don’t think Eurosport ever carried CART qualifying?

#37 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,271 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 13:03

Only the races I think. From week to week you wouldn't know whether it was going to be tape delayed due to some other overrunning sport. Sometimes they butchered it pretty badly if they cut it to highlights. Couldn't fault their live coverage though, it's what attracted me in to the series in 1999

#38 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 13:28

I don’t think they did either. CART always had two qualifying sessions, Friday and Saturday, like old school F1, which would have meant giving up time on both Friday and Saturday evening. That can’t have helped.

I think they did show highlights in the pre-race. I definitely remember Bryan Herta doing a Senna and setting his time at Elkhart Lake by spinning across the line leaving the last corner.

#39 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,843 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 16:39

I recall footage of the very rare sight of a wet session at Long Beach too

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 17:35

Was that the one that Gualter Salles qualified 4th for Dale Coyne.

#41 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,277 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 17:37

I don’t think the advertising problems in US broadcasts have anything to do with the commentators personally needing to sell anything.

:confused:  Just pointing out that for all the folks who complained of the excessive coverage of Danica Patrick and didn't see Lee and Rice go far beyond that with Gordon, and then Stewart.

Such as their sneering on air response to viewers that wrote in complaining of their excessive attention to Gordon, or Lee, upon Stewart's first appearance, in an old, uncompetitive car at the back of the grid, gushing: "He's the next Jeff Gordon!"

#42 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 17:42

:confused:  Just pointing out that for all the folks who complained of the excessive coverage of Danica Patrick and didn't see Lee and Rice go far beyond that with Gordon, and then Stewart.

Such as their sneering on air response to viewers that wrote in complaining of their excessive attention to Gordon, or Lee, upon Stewart's first appearance, in an old, uncompetitive car at the back of the grid, gushing: "He's the next Jeff Gordon!"

I only watched from 2002, so Stewart was long gone and they’d probably didn’t need to big him up anymore. But it was great having commentators who weren’t constantly telling us the sponsor of the chequered flag, or the brand of race fuel, at every mention of those things, and instead spoke like normal human beings. That was the advantage of an international feed, rather than the US specific one.

#43 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 17:52

What, pray tell, is a Touring Car??? :lol:

#44 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 17:56

Something only the most divine of racers will ever experience...

Chilton_01-2-1-scaled.jpg

#45 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,286 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 21:15

Ah yes..

The days of Jp being the "Ashleyhatroadie" were filled with pouring rain and searing sunlight

RFD4a3W1_o.jpg

Jp

#46 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,195 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 22:06

The origin story of one of our very best:

95DTM_01.jpg

95_DTM_DON06.jpg

3gRPMq9.jpg

#47 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 22:41

Ah yes..

The days of Jp being the "Ashleyhatroadie" were filled with pouring rain and searing sunlight

RFD4a3W1_o.jpg

Jp

Which circuit is that, JP?

#48 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,286 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 23:18

a wet session at Long Beach

Jp

#49 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,286 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 23:42

Oh, so the reason I came here today was to post the following.

I was playing dredge-a-thread™ earlier and found this gem.

2007 Month of May thread :D

The OP is severely missed.

https://forums.autos...0-month-of-may/

Jp

#50 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,286 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 23:47

Oh yes, and this too.

Whatda think?

Someone please D/L this ASAP ( I hear you can do that now on HughToob )

Jp