Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

2021 Brazilian Grand Prix Race Day

• Please log in to reply
2019 replies to this topic

Poll: 2021 Brazil GP (138 member(s) have cast votes)

Race winner?

1. Bottas (9 votes [6.57%])

Percentage of vote: 6.57%

2. Verstappen (51 votes [37.23%])

Percentage of vote: 37.23%

3. Sainz (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Perez (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Norris (0 votes [0.00%])

6. LeClerc (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Gasly (1 votes [0.73%])

Percentage of vote: 0.73%

8. Ocon (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Vettel (1 votes [0.73%])

10. Hamilton (75 votes [54.74%])

Percentage of vote: 54.74%

11. Someone else (0 votes [0.00%])

Where does Hamilton finish

1. First (75 votes [54.74%])

Percentage of vote: 54.74%

2. Second (23 votes [16.79%])

Percentage of vote: 16.79%

3. Third (29 votes [21.17%])

Percentage of vote: 21.17%

4. Fourth (7 votes [5.11%])

Percentage of vote: 5.11%

5. Fifth (1 votes [0.73%])

6. Sixth (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Seventh (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Eighth (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Nineth (1 votes [0.73%])

10. Tenth (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Somewhere else (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Space (that car is a rocketship) (1 votes [0.73%])

Will we get another Sprint Race Title Contenders Collision?

1. Yes (6 votes [4.38%])

Percentage of vote: 4.38%

2. No (85 votes [62.04%])

Percentage of vote: 62.04%

3. Already happened, when Max's finger collided with Lewis's rear wing (46 votes [33.58%])

Percentage of vote: 33.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,605 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 13:10

Race day in Sao Paolo! Start times around the world:

race-start-time.jpg

Bottas starts on pole for the second race running, after his softs (and some dodgy Red Bull gear shifts) propelled him into P1 off the line in the sprint, and he held on for the rest of the race.

bottas.png

Verstappen starts in second, hoping to reverse what happened yesterday.

Sainz's mega start on Saturday sees him line up 3rd, with Perez (who spent the whole race bottled up behind Sainz) just behind him.

Norris kicks off in 5th, having managed to best the seemingly quicker Ferrari of LeClerc who starts alongside.

Gasly (who surely will have been disappointed with yesterday, after a superb qualifying), Vettel and Ocon round out the top 9 before a 5 place demoted (thanks to an ICE change) Lewis Hamilton in 10th.

grid.png

weather.png

tyres.jpg

Pirelli's take on strategy options: here

Tomorrow all the compounds can play a key role. The fastest strategy for the 71-lap Brazilian Grand Prix should be a two-stopper but a lot will depend on track temperature; the weather should be a little warmer. Today the P Zero Red soft and P Zero Yellow medium tyres showed similar performance but higher levels of wear than expected. On paper, a two-stopper using the medium followed by two sets of P Zero White hard should be the fastest option. Another possibility (really close in terms of overall race time) is to use all three compounds: starting on the medium and then using the hard for the central stint, before finishing on the soft. But a one-stop is another possibility. This could be medium to hard, to benefit from a long opening stint and gain track position, or alternatively soft to hard (although this would require more management, with the cars full of fuel at the start of the race). Under Sprint Qualifying regulations, the drivers are allowed to start the grand prix on whichever compound they choose, irrespective of the tyres used in Sprint Qualifying today.

The temperatures could play an interesting role, with the race start time 2 hours earlier in the day than the sprint, it will be much hotter. Also expect the 3x higher starting fuel levels to have an impact, and taking a set of softs 24 laps seems unlikely to happen. Hopefully it will lead to some interesting strategy options.

Who will get off the line first? Will Max be able to pressure Bottas more, with strategy options in play and less of a need to 'play it safe'? Can Perez get involved in the action at the front? Can Norris mix it with the Ferraris? And of course, can Hamilton get up the grid as quickly as yesterday and put himself in the mix for a podium?

Should be an interesting race, with plenty of strategy options and overtaking opportunities. Enjoy your race day, folks!

Advertisement

#2 engineblock1

engineblock1

• 1,064 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 13:26

I guess most of front runners will go for medium-hard-medium. Wondering if anyone would gamble. On 1 stopper with hard-medium or hard-soft.

#3 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,639 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 13:41

Hamilton will definitely start on the Hards, and I feel RedBull could be tempted to do the same, for the very same reason - not wasting the fastest tyres when stuck behind Bottas.

#4 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,803 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 13:46

What are the expected temps for today? It only looks to be 3 or 4 degrees warmer than yesterday. Or maybe I'm reading that wrong?

Edited by ARTGP, 14 November 2021 - 13:46.

#5 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 2,445 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 13:50

I have enjoyed this drama filled weekend so far and see no reason why the race should disappoint.

For the race I will be interested to see:

Who starts on which tire.

Performance of cars with race fuel load

If the temperature affects the cars

How many pit stops per car will we see

#6 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,863 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 13:52

What are the expected temps for today? It only looks to be 3 or 4 degrees warmer than yesterday. Or maybe I'm reading that wrong?

24/25 degrees c however it’s going to be very sunny hence the track temps will be miles higher than yesterday.

#7 sheSgoTthElooK

sheSgoTthElooK

• 3,297 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 13:53

I am excited and scared af...

I have a strong feeling that it will be EPIC ❤️

... tracks like Brazil are just 💋  :up:

#8 renzmann

renzmann

• 5,995 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 13:56

Thank you Gareth! For the record, though: I really dislike polls skewed by funny answers :kiss:

#9 flingsofdeon

flingsofdeon

• 600 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:00

Lewis will win this. The speed that car has will mean he’s top 5 in 10 laps, barring any silliness at the start

#10 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,258 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:01

I looked on previous two races after sprint and found out that in Silverstone softs were used by Gasly who suffered a late puncture and Perez in quest of fastest lap. In Monza Mazepin had two short stints with softs.

#11 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:03

Red Bull will race in damage limitation mode. Best case is P2 for Max, though I think it's more likely that we will have a Mercedes 1-2 and Max in 3rd. Not optimal but it is what it is. 

If it rains, all bets are off, especially in the midfield. 

#12 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,863 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:09

Red Bull will race in damage limitation mode. Best case is P2 for Max, though I think it's more likely that we will have a Mercedes 1-2 and Max in 3rd. Not optimal but it is what it is.

If it rains, all bets are off, especially in the midfield.

Why is best case P2?? He has a good chance of beating Bottas off the line and staying ahead. Am I missing something ?

And, it isn’t going to rain.

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 14 November 2021 - 14:11.

#13 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:12

Max wins, Lewis collects some damage with some midfielder at the start and recovers to P4. Bye bye WDC

#14 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 1,517 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:12

Its been a while since we've had any sort of shenanigans so im predicting a really chaotic race with rain, lots of safeycars, more rain and Haas to score some points.

#15 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:13

Expecting Hamilton to win this and a Merc 1-2

Hamilton's car is visibly quicker than the rest, So much so that you wouldn't need a stop watch to see who is fastest. Max should play it safe and finish in 3rd.

#16 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:15

Any huge,earth shattering dramas while I was asleep last night ?

Jp

#17 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,803 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:15

Why is best case P2?? He has a good chance of beating Bottas off the line and staying ahead. Am I missing something ?

Pole has won all but 1 of the races here in the hybrid era. Vettel in '17.  

There was nothing wrong with Verstappens grid slot in the sprint race. His launch was equal to Bottas, it was only in the second phase the RB gear shifts went south and Bottas was suddenly alongside.

Bottas has the better line to causing a collision, see Ocon-Verstappen '18.

Edited by ARTGP, 14 November 2021 - 14:16.

#18 SamH123

SamH123

• 2,968 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:16

Best case is p2 for Max?? 

Personally I think Hamilton has way too much ground to make up and his race pace is potentially only slightly better than Verstappen's anyway

#19 InfamousArrows

InfamousArrows

• 109 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:17

Hamilton win. He’s had the better car most of this season but the difference since yesterday is unreal. He’ll breeze past everyone on the straights. P2 is the best possible for Max.

Advertisement

#20 GLessard

GLessard

• 182 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:17

You know if Bottas has been able to  keep Max behind him yesterday, that means this car is damn fast. Mercedes 1-2

#21 Kleli

Kleli

• 460 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:21

Even if the laptime will be close between RB and Merc in the race the straightline advantage of Merc will make it impossible for RB to keep them behind even if they nail the start (which they haven't in several races).

#22 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:23

is this "temperature affecting cars" wishful thinking or based on something?

#23 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,639 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:24

Max should be faster than Bottas in clean air. The question is how quickly will he be able to lap at his own pace.

#24 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:27

:rotfl: @ this forum ..... majority voted in the poll for LH win as the expected result. 

#25 Theracer

Theracer

• 108 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:28

Why the heck do Vettel and Stroll have NO new sets of tyres?! What is AM doing?

#26 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 3,642 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:29

Looking forward to see if Christian Horner has any more facial expressions left and new ways to let us all know at home just how fast Hamilton is here and just how closely he and Red Bull will be watching that rear wing, fixated, no blinking, stack of papers at the ready at the very hint of a flex. Probably has Every Breath You Take by The Police playing in his headphones as we speak.

#27 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

I'm still wondering if it makes sense for Max to go soft (to beat Bottas off the line) and then hard-medium or hard-hard, whatever appears to work.

Of course he'd need to stop early and while some 3 secs in front of Bottas, probably around lap 15 to 20.

Or I just have no clue. :p

#28 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,639 posts

Why the heck do Vettel and Stroll have NO new sets of tyres?! What is AM doing?

Aston has been regularly scrubbing their tyres in free practice. They are the only team to do so, but I assume they have their reasons!

#29 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:32

I'm still wondering if it makes sense for Max to go soft (to beat Bottas off the line) and then hard-medium or hard-hard, whatever appears to work.

Of course he'd need to stop early and while some 3 secs in front of Bottas, probably around lap 15 to 20.

If he goes soft and Ham hard, he might get stuck behind Hamilton at his first stop.

Medium imo is the only real option.

#30 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,514 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:32

Was thinking the same thing. 

#31 AnR

AnR

• 1,578 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:33

:rotfl: @ this forum ..... majority voted in the poll for LH win as the expected result. 

Why is that strange, we've already seen what Merc have put on his car and he has no reason to hold back or see the big picture any longer

#32 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:34

Best case is p2 for Max?? 

Personally I think Hamilton has way too much ground to make up and his race pace is potentially only slightly better than Verstappen's anyway

Exactly, I dont get why everyone is so confident about him winning. Max was stuck all race yesterday. He clearly can go faster, not as fast as Lewis, mind. But by the time Lewis has cleared everyone he should have a very comfortable buffer to defend his lead with his pace (whether it's for P1 or P2)

#33 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,514 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:36

Exactly, I dont get why everyone is so confident about him winning. Max was stuck all race yesterday. He clearly can go faster, not as fast as Lewis, mind. But by the time Lewis has cleared everyone he should have a very comfortable buffer to defend his lead with his pace (whether it's for P1 or P2)

I voted for Hamilton to win because of the way he was able to follow through the final sequence of corners and then deploy his insane mid-straight acceleration and top speed. 

Red Bull couldn't overtake a Merc if their lives depended on it. They weren't able to follow through sector 3 and missed way too much top speed on the straight even with having DRS and the Merc doesn't. 

Edited by Augurk, 14 November 2021 - 14:36.

#34 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,605 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:37

Strategy wise for Merc, I think I would split the starting tyres. Bottas on M and Hamilton on H.

Hope that the M gets Bottas off the line and in to T1 in P1.

For Hamilton, hope that he can clear the midfield quickly enough that he’s inside the front runners’ pit window. So Bottas can pit whenever is optimum, RBR have a trickier decision as they’re putting their cars behind a Merc on old tyres that’s maybe running long (and has excellent straight line speed).

#35 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,683 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:37

FP2 yesterday started at 1200 local with air temp 19/20c, track temp 47 rising to 54.

Today's race is at 1400 local with air temps forecast 22-23.

Track should easily hit 50c+ again. Sprint race at 1630 local was 39c and only dropped further.

First stint deg will be very high. Tyre performance will be interesting as the track should come back to Mediums slightly as it cools down. H-M-M? H-H-M?

If I was Merc and Bottas retains the lead, I am boxing him reasonably early to force Max in, who I don't think will have the tyres to go long. If LH is in their pit window on Hards, thing could get very interesting. But would be surprised if RB fell into this trap.

Tough call re LH strategy, I think they have to play the long game first stint to make sure they have a massive tyre delta in the second half. If they start wasting undercuts just to get past Ferraris and McLarens, they won't see Max all afternoon.

Edited by TomNokoe, 14 November 2021 - 14:43.

#36 rf90

rf90

• 936 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:39

Are Merc allowed to use beast mode of the engine, separate to the other teams with Merc engines?

#37 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:40

Are Merc allowed to use beast mode of the engine, separate to the other teams with Merc engines?

As long as the PU mode is available to its customer teams, I suppose yes.

#38 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:42

I think Hamilton will win. So even if Max nails Bottas off the line, it's only P2. But lets see how it unfolds.

#39 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 3,642 posts

Nothing is a given today. Hamilton looked rapid yesterday, quick enough to win from P10 but then again the track is going to be much hotter. Nothing is for certain. Nice to see him getting built up to win the race so easily already so he can be absolutely trashed if he doesn't manage to win, or equally told it was fully expected with a car so fast it doesn't deserve any praise whatsoever.

You can just smell the fear of a possible late title surge from Hamilton, upsetting the detractors. Lovely stuff :D

Advertisement

#40 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,856 posts

Lewis will win this. The speed that car has will mean he’s top 5 in 10 laps, barring any silliness at the start

I get that feeling too. 

Very good odds for him, by the way. Certainly worth an each way. 

#41 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,803 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:43

I voted for Hamilton to win because of the way he was able to follow through the final sequence of corners and then deploy his insane mid-straight acceleration and top speed. 

Red Bull couldn't overtake a Merc if their lives depended on it. They weren't able to follow through sector 3 and missed way too much top speed on the straight even with having DRS and the Merc doesn't. 

Exactly. A RB with DRS hits 317km/h.  A Mercedes with DRS hits 348km/h.  Let that sink in.

Edited by ARTGP, 14 November 2021 - 14:46.

#42 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,277 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:44

Lewis will have to race wondering which of Gasly or Perez will be deployed to take him out…

#43 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,803 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:47

Lewis will have to race wondering which of Gasly or Perez will be deployed to take him out…

Gasly and Perez won't know which way Lewis went at 348km/h.....

#44 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,554 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:48

I'm excited for this one. No doubt we'll get a bit of championship drama at some point.

#45 Dhillon

Dhillon

• 929 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:50

Lewis is not an Idiot.

#46 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:51

FP2 yesterday started at 1200 local with air temp 19/20c, track temp 47 rising to 54.

Today's race is at 1400 local with air temps forecast 22-23.

Track should easily hit 50c+ again. Sprint race at 1630 local was 39c and only dropped further.

First stint deg will be very high. Tyre performance will be interesting as the track should come back to Mediums slightly as it cools down. H-M-M? H-H-M?

If I was Merc and Bottas retains the lead, I am boxing him reasonably early to force Max in, who I don't think will have the tyres to go long. If LH is in their pit window on Hards, thing could get very interesting. But would be surprised if RB fell into this trap.

Tough call re LH strategy, I think they have to play the long game first stint to make sure they have a massive tyre delta in the second half. If they start wasting undercuts just to get past Ferraris and McLarens, they won't see Max all afternoon.

Where do you normally find the tyre strategy forecast pic Tom? I've seen something today where Pirelli are saying that wear yesterday was greater than expected.

#47 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,683 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:52

Lewis is not an Idiot.

And neither are Gasly or Perez for that matter.

#48 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:54

3-4 degrees isn't that much. Hamilton can easily point and shoot the car in the stright stretches and use his extra 100 hp to win the race. How the poll is tied is beyond me

#49 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:54

Nothing is a given today. Hamilton looked rapid yesterday, quick enough to win from P10 but then again the track is going to be much hotter. Nothing is for certain. Nice to see him getting built up to win the race so easily already so he can be absolutely trashed if he doesn't manage to win, or equally told it was fully expected with a car so fast it doesn't deserve any praise whatsoever.

You can just smell the fear of a possible late title surge from Hamilton, upsetting the detractors. Lovely stuff :D

Well, what I do smell from your post is the fear of your favourite not getting the praise you think he deserves. :D

#50 lewislorenzo

lewislorenzo

• 3,803 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 14:55

Can’t see Lewis winning. Will take too long to get passed p9-p3 unfortunately