Photo
- - - - -

3rd annual Unofficial Formula E Street Circuit Design Competition on behalf of maximilian

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
136 replies to this topic

#1 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 18:06

With FE pre-season testing later this month, last year's competition winner, maximilian, has asked me to arrange this year's contest under his direction (or at least get things going).  As in the previous couple of seasons, the idea is straightforward - use an aerial imaging programme (Google Maps/Earth preferred) to propose a feasible but not necesarily conventional Formula E circuit.  Your rules are as follows (modified from FredrikB from last year's thread opener):

1. The length of your circuit should somewhere in the region of 1.5 to 3.0 miles (2.5 - 5 km) in length preferred, but not essential. 
2. The layout should be original - it should not be too similar to any circuit currently or previously in use.
3. The circuit should be temporary and within the official city limits of your chosen location (make of that what you will).
4. Entries should at least specify a route, the direction and start-line/pit-lane locations. Further details (grandstands, etc.) are welcome but not necessary.
5. Entries should take the form of an aerial-view image of your circuit and a short description of the area and how you imagine the event to be held. A few pictures from google street view is a nice addition too, but not mandatory.

6. New for this year, entries should have some link or relevance to climate change (see post #8 for details).

Deadline is midnight on December 24th UTC.  Voting thread will open on the 26th December and close at midnight UTC on January 27th as this is the day before the first round.

Last year's competition thread:

https://forums.autos...=fe competition

Good luck! :clap:

Mod Edit: Please see this guide in post 76 if you need help in posting images.

Edited by cpbell, 29 November 2021 - 12:32.

Advertisement

#2 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,090 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 19:43

It's that time of the year again!  :clap: 

Looking forward to see all the awesome entries.

Edited by thegamer23, 14 November 2021 - 19:44.

#3 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,084 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 22:17

Ah excellent, looking forward to this

#4 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,294 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 22:51

Excellent. An opportunity to have some fun on this forum.

#5 FredrikB

FredrikB

• 1,173 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 07:04

153f77b5994062410f76acc96ea57a79.gif

#6 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,037 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 11:43

Splendid. The first thread on here in weeks that fills me with delight rather than despair.

Now, where shall we go this year?...

#7 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 12:11

THANK YOU SO MUCH cpbell for picking up my SLACK and ridding me of my feelings of GUILT for not getting this thread started!

i-love-you-man-appreciate.gif

#8 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 12:28

My thought about this year's contest  "theme" were that perhaps we could (as a gentle suggestion rather than a "rule") do the Extreme E kinda thing, and pick locations/venues that have some sort of environmental message to send - NOT outside cities like Extreme E, mind you... but perhaps city locations that have been impacted by or are adjacent to areas of environmental concern, or that are otherwise emblematic for what all we could be doing wrong as humans on this planet that make it a worse place than it COULD be. 

I'll illustrate what I mean, once I remember how to use that imgbb service to host & post the pic again and upload my entry (which was actually created last year after I did the crazy winning intersection one, and gave me the idea for this year's theme)

Edited by maximilian, 15 November 2021 - 12:54.

#9 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 12:29

THANK YOU SO MUCH cpbell for picking up my SLACK and ridding me of my feelings of GUILT for not getting this thread started!

Thanks old chap.  I actually hesitated for a while because I didn't want you to think I was intruding.

#10 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 12:30

My thought about this year's contest  "theme" were that perhaps we could (as a gentle suggestion rather than a "rule") do the Extreme E kinda thing, and pick locations/venues that have some sort of environmental message to send - NOT outside cities like Extreme E, mind you... but perhaps city locations that have been impacted by or are adjacent to areas of environmental concern, or that are otherwise emblematic for what all we could be doing wrong as humans on this planet that make it a worse place than it COULD be. 

I'll illustrate what I mean, once I remember how to use that imbb service to host & post the pic again and upload my entry (which was actually created last year after I did the crazy winning intersection one, and gave me the idea for this year's theme)

Fortunately, I suppose my entry, which, like yours, has been in development for a few months now, sort of works with your idea as well.

#11 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,084 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 12:31

Am exceptionally good “theme” I think, keeps things interesting and topical. Love it…

#12 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 12:53

Fortunately, I suppose my entry, which, like yours, has been in development for a few months now, sort of works with your idea as well.

And again, it's just a gentle suggestion, if people want to give it some thought... but by all means... please have at it, and come up with the otherwise most awesomest tracks, environment be damned!  :lol:

#13 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 13:33

So here is my entry, which sparked the "theme" as well - the Tucson ePrix, held on the infamous aircraft boneyard at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base.  Should make for great racing, but also draws attention to the insanity of human wastefulness, particularly in connection with military and war - the ultimate hell on earth.

Formula-E-Circuit-Competition-2021-04.pn

Edited by maximilian, 15 November 2021 - 13:36.

#14 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 13:36

So here is my entry, which sparked the "theme" as well - the Tucson ePrix, held on the infamous aircraft boneyard at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base.  Should make for great racing, but also draws attention to the insanity of wastefulness, particularly in connection with military and war - the ultimate hell on earth.

Very interesting! :cool:  I've seen photos and video/TV from that site, or at least, one like it.

Edited by cpbell, 15 November 2021 - 13:39.

#15 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,090 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 13:40

So here is my entry, which sparked the "theme" as well - the Tucson ePrix, held on the infamous aircraft boneyard at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. Should make for great racing, but also draws attention to the insanity of human wastefulness, particularly in connection with military and war - the ultimate hell on earth.

Starting off with a bang!  :up:  :up: 

The 2020 champion aiming for the double with this entry, love the enviromental connection too, that's a big plus.

Talking about the track, very technical, love the spoon Turn 4.

Also looks pretty long, could be suited for Gen 3. :smoking:

Any idea on the lenght?? 

Edited by thegamer23, 15 November 2021 - 13:42.

#16 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 13:44

The 2020 champion aiming for the double with this entry, love the enviromental connection too, that's a big plus.

Any idea on the lenght?? 

T4 reminds me of T1 in Malaysia, strangely.  I really like the T16-18 sector.

Edited by cpbell, 15 November 2021 - 13:44.

#17 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 13:45

Any idea on the lenght?? 

Honestly I couldn't be bothered measuring the length, just like last year...  :blush:  it's probably TOO long, and could perhaps cut out that whole turn 10 and between turns 12 and 13 sections, but I tend to get carried away  :lol:

#18 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 13:46

Introducing the Novi Sad E-Prix, bringing Formula E to the Balkan region and the banks of the mighty River Danube.  Novi Sad has a close relationship with Norwich, which was my entry last year, the two cities having worked together since the 1980s.  In addition, Novi Sad is due to be European Capital of Culture in 2022, so what better way to lead the city into such an important year than with a round of the Formula E World Championship? 

Having spent several hours designing and rejecting layouts, I developed a 3.61 kilometre (2.25 mile), 13 turn track that links the city centre, the west bank of the Danube and the University quarter.  This plan does contain a narrow section of residential streets between Turns 4 and 8; however, I am confident that the narrowest is little different to some parts of the London E-Prix course, and this sector is offset by otherwise expansive streets providing a 12-metre-wide pit straight amongst other open, fast sectors that should generate overtaking opportunities.

Our lap starts on Žarka Zrenjanina, with the pits on the right-hand side of the road in what is normally a parking area.  T1 is a wide right-hander onto Bulevar Mihajla Pupina which provides a lengthy straight heading towards the Varadinski Most-Duga bridge; however, the circuit turns left before this at T3 onto Trg Neznanog junaka, which curves gently right leading to T4.  This leads onto Beogradski kej.  Here, the track passes under the approach ramp for the bridge which itself forms the escape road for T3, a feature which I think is unique.  Though the walls will prevent drivers from appreciating the view across the Danube on their left, TV footage along the section will be dramatic with the backdrop of Petrovaradin on the far bank.  As the cars emerge from under the bridge approach, the road becomes the Kej Žrtava Racije, and, after 200 metres or so, heavy braking will be required for the narrow T4 which takes the cars away from the river and into a leafy residential area near the city centre.  After a short run along Maksima Gorkog, the hairpin of T5 takes the cars briefly onto Sonje Marinković, quickly followed by the right-hand T6 onto Radnička, which, being surfaced with stone pavers, will need to have a temporary asphalt surface as used in Baku.  After 250 metres or so, another braking area sets the cars up for T7, leading onto Stevana Musića, out of the narrow residential streets and into the University area of the city.  T8 completes this transition, taking the cars onto the eastbound carriageway of Bulevar cara Lazara (albeit heading west), the first lengthy flat-out part of the circuit since the run towards the river, curving gently left, then through the flat-out right-hand sweep of T9.  With the cars heading away from the city centre, there is a massive braking zone into the T10 hairpin at the junction of the access road to the stadium of FK Proleter Novi Sad, which should generate overtaking. On exiting the hairpin, the outside of which forms the Attack Mode Activation Zone the cars head east on the westbound carriageway of the Bulevar, and, after a gentle left-hand sweep the cars enter another heavy braking zone for T11 onto Stražilovska.  Now heading back to the pits, a chicane (T12) at the junction of Maksima Gorkog slows the cars before the right-hand curve of T13 guides the cars back onto Žarka Zrenjanina and the completion of the lap.

novi-sad.jpg

Added on 15th Nov. 2021:

Formula E has a responsibility to demonstrate that low emission motorised transport is a viable, high-performance replacement for fossil fuels (notwithstanding the fact that most motor racing fans have an emotional connection to internal combustion) and must be a part of combatting climate change.  If ethnic and national tensions in the region are a problem, then reminding people of the greater common threat we face might be a useful means of reducing the ’temperature’ of the situation.  Also, with one of Europe’s most polluted rivers alongside the track, there is the potential for a reminder that management of rivers to preserve water quality is not only important for biodiversity, but also for the towns, cities and farms on the banks.

Edited by cpbell, 20 December 2021 - 15:38.

#19 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 13:55

Please note: After preparing this entry, I read that certain political tensions in the region in which my proposal is set have led to a dangerous situation and possible armed conflict.  If moderators (or members from the region concerned) feel that my entry is inappropriate as a result, please PM me.

Introducing the Novi Sad E-Prix, bringing Formula E to the Balkan region and the banks of the mighty River Danube.  Novi Sad has a close relationship with Norwich, which was my entry last year, the two cities having worked together since the 1980s.  In addition, Novi Sad is due to be European Capital of Culture in 2022, so what better way to lead the city into such an important year than with a round of the Formula E World Championship? 

Having spent several hours designing and rejecting layouts, I developed a 3.61 kilometre (2.25 mile), 13 turn track that links the city centre, the west bank of the Danube and the University quarter.  This plan does contain a narrow section of residential streets between Turns 4 and 8; however, I am confident that the narrowest is little different to some parts of the London E-Prix course, and this sector is offset by otherwise expansive streets providing a 12-metre-wide pit straight amongst other open, fast sectors that should generate overtaking opportunities.

Our lap starts on Žarka Zrenjanina, with the pits on the right-hand side of the road in what is normally a parking area.  T1 is a wide right-hander onto Bulevar Mihajla Pupina which provides a lengthy straight heading towards the Varadinski Most-Duga bridge; however, the circuit turns left before this at T3 onto Trg Neznanog junaka, which curves gently right leading to T4, a right-hand corner incorporating the Attack Mode Activation Zone around the outside.  This leads onto Beogradski kej.  Here, the track passes under the approach ramp for the bridge which itself forms the escape road for T3, a feature which I think is unique.  Though the walls will prevent drivers from appreciating the view across the Danube on their left, TV footage along the section will be dramatic with the backdrop of Petrovaradin on the far bank.  As the cars emerge from under the bridge approach, the road becomes the Kej Žrtava Racije, and, after 200 metres or so, heavy braking will be required for the narrow T4 which takes the cars away from the river and into a leafy residential area near the city centre.  After a short run along Maksima Gorkog, the hairpin of T5 takes the cars briefly onto Sonje Marinković, quickly followed by the right-hand T6 onto Radnička, which, being surfaced with stone pavers, will need to have a temporary asphalt surface as used in Baku.  After 250 metres or so, another braking area sets the cars up for T7, leading onto Stevana Musića, out of the narrow residential streets and into the University area of the city.  T8 completes this transition, taking the cars onto the eastbound carriageway of Bulevar cara Lazara (albeit heading west), the first lengthy flat-out part of the circuit since the run towards the river, curving gently left, then through the flat-out right-hand sweep of T9.  With the cars heading away from the city centre, there is a massive braking zone into the T10 hairpin at the junction of the access road to the stadium of FK Proleter Novi Sad, which should generate overtaking. On exiting the hairpin, the cars head east on the westbound carriageway of the Bulevar, and, after a gentle left-hand sweep the cars enter another heavy braking zone for T11 onto Stražilovska.  Now heading back to the pits, a chicane (T12) at the junction of Maksima Gorkog slows the cars before the right-hand curve of T13 guides the cars back onto Žarka Zrenjanina and the completion of the lap.

Added on 15th Nov. 2021:

Formula E has a responsibility to demonstrate that low emission motorised transport is a viable, high-performance replacement for fossil fuels (notwithstanding the fact that most motor racing fans have an emotional connection to internal combustion) and must be a part of combatting climate change.  If ethnic and national tensions in the region are a problem, then reminding people of the greater common threat we face might be a useful means of reducing the ’temperature’ of the situation.  Also, with one of Europe’s most polluted rivers alongside the track, there is the potential for a reminder that management of rivers to preserve water quality is not only important for biodiversity, but also for the towns, cities and farms on the banks.

I find this awesome!  Very well done!  :love:   Fits thematically PERFECT, and the track really LOOKS like a proper FE track (unlike mine, which kinda cheats by using open space rather than actual city streets!)   ;)

Advertisement

#20 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 13:58

I find this awesome!  Very well done!  :love:   Fits thematically PERFECT, and the track really LOOKS like a proper FE track (unlike mine, which kinda cheats by using open space rather than actual city streets!)   ;)

What's weird is that I chose the city, then found that it'll be European Capital of Culture next year, and then, after you suggested the environmental aspect, I discovered that the Danube is Europe's most polluted river. :stoned:

Oh, and yours doesn't cheat at all - mine is rather boring by comparison!

Edited by cpbell, 15 November 2021 - 14:05.

#21 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,090 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 13:59

You guys have really stepped up the game this season: such toughtful entries, awesome.

Will be a challenge to keep up! 

Great job cpbell, this looks like a perfect Formula E track.  :up:  :up:

#22 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 14:02

You guys have really stepped up the game this season: such toughtful entries, awesome.

Will be a challenge to keep up! 

Great job cpbell, this looks like a perfect Formula E track.  :up:  :up:

Thanks!  Not only was this about the 6th iteration of Novi Sad, I'd also spent weeks, on and off, trying to design a circuit in Brescia to celebrate the centenary of the first Italian GP which was held there.

#23 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 15:25

Some GSV screenshots:

Grid with pitlane in parking area on the right:

Capture.png

T1:

Capture-2.png

T2

Capture-3.png

T3 (this will also need temporary surfacing):

Capture-4.png

Alongside the Danube:

Capture-5.png

T4:

Capture-6.png

Edited by cpbell, 16 November 2021 - 10:35.

#24 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,294 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 15:36

Max’s entry seems more like heaven on earth to me. Bonus points for preserving aircraft rather than scrapping them.

#25 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 16:18

T5:

Capture-7.png

T6:

Capture-8.png

T7:

Capture-9.png

T8:

Capture-10.png

T9:

Capture-11.png

T10 hairpin in gap on central reservation/median:

Capture-12.png

T11:

Capture-13.png

T12 chicane location:

Capture-14.png

T13:

Capture-15.png

Edited by cpbell, 15 November 2021 - 17:48.

#26 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,203 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 21:17

Just remember....WE, You and I , Have to do the Livery thread in 2022.

Keenan can join us if he desires.

Jp

#27 NewMrMe

NewMrMe

• 878 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 17:02

How do you get images to work? I have tried adding an entry but not matter what I try it won't accept my image when I try to post.

#28 loki

loki

• 12,250 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 17:17

51685289100_ed4d831f82_o.jpg

#29 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 17:28

How do you get images to work? I have tried adding an entry but not matter what I try it won't accept my image when I try to post.

You need to save your image file on a hosting site - I use Imgbb.

#30 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 17:28

51685289100_ed4d831f82_o.jpg

No good, the setting is too rural   ;)

#31 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 17:40

No good, the setting is too rural   ;)

It's also an existing layout. :rotfl:

#32 NewMrMe

NewMrMe

• 878 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 17:57

One of the ideas I had since last year.

Brooklands-Circuit.png

The future of motorsport returns to its past.

After a gap of 82 years international motor racing is back at Brooklands!!!

The Brooklands E-Prix.

The race will be based at Mercedes-Benz World, a Mercedes run exhibition and driving experience centre built in what was the infield of the historic Brooklands circuit. The teams, pits and e-village will be located on the site.

The 1.7 mile, 2.7 Kilometre circuit will comprise of a mixture of the track used for driving experiences, surrounding roads and even a section of the legendary circuit itself.

-Start/Finish straight

The long start finish straight utilises a large tarmac area within the complex, meaning the pits can be located next to the track in a traditional fashion. At more than half a kilometre long, this straight will definitely present an overtaking opportunity for Formula E.

-Turns 1/2

A fast chicane to start. There is room to configure this left/right however you want. There is plenty of run off so it will be made high speed to differentiate itself from most Formula E circuits.

-Turns 3 to 12

A twisty section that follows the driving experience circuit. There is plenty of room to add spectator sections here. Turn 12 also sees a transition from tarmac to concrete. Getting the surface change right will be critical as it leads onto another long straight. On the outside of this straight there is a large grassy area where temporary grandstands can be erected, giving a great view from the final corner to turn 8 and the long straight between 12 and 13.

-Turns 13/14

Before turn 13 the surface reverts back to tarmac. This is where the circuit leaves Mercedes-Benz World. 13 is a 90 degree right hand bend which serves two purposes. It provides an opportunity to outbrake your rivals and slows the cars down before they join the public road at turn 14.

-Turn 15 to 17

Accelerating out of turn 14 takes the competitors into a long sweeping left hander. They will need to brake mid corner though for the turns 16/17 chicane. Right onto the access road and then left onto a remaining section of the actual Brooklands circuit. Formula E drivers are used to a wide variety and conditions of surfaces. How will they cope with the old track?

-Turn 18

The old circuit is wide enough to allow for a hairpin at 18. Another long straight to provide another overtaking opportunity. This corner will also be the attack mode activation zone. There is also room for another spectator zone on the outside of corner for those who want to say they have seen cars race on the Brooklands circuit.

-Turns 19 to 21

Another chicane to leave the old track. A right turn onto an access road and then a left into a car park. This is then immediately followed by another right at turn 21 to rejoin the road.

-Turn 22

A left hand hairpin at a roundabout re-enters Mercedes-Benz World.

-Turns 23/24

Two right handers bring the cars back onto the start finish straight to complete the lap.

-The environment angle

It is in the tagline, "The future of motorsport returns to its past". As well as highlighting a return to one of the most historic venues, it shows that greener motorsport can still embrace its history and that motorsport's history and traditions can still be carried forward as it evolves in more sustainable ways.

Edited by NewMrMe, 16 November 2021 - 18:03.

#33 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 18:02

Bwoah, that is a cool idea, indeed!  Brooklands is ALIVE!  :love:

#34 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,090 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 18:07

One of the ideas I had since last year.

Brooklands-Circuit.png

Now that's a good idea, great work man!  :up:  :up:

Totally plausible FE-esque layout & a location with a meaning, and a history.

Could be a Dark Horse for the win! 

#35 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 18:34

Wonderful idea!  I just worry, having seen the TV series Secrets of the Transport Museum (which was about Brooklands) that the old Finishing Straight is too uneven for FE.

#36 NewMrMe

NewMrMe

• 878 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 18:35

CPBelll, completely agree with those two criticisms. They are the two biggest stumbling blocks for the circuit. I did think of the Baku temporary surface and that is what made me think the idea might be a goer. It means the old surface doesn't have to be destroyed if the old surface wasn't suitable. Also, run off is a problem for turn 13. That is why I made at as tight a 90 degree right as possible. That and the fact the barrier could be at a shallow angle initially makes it just about doable.

Originally I wanted to see if it was possible to do something with the banking and also have the circuit going through the outdoor part of the museum going past Concorde. Both of those turned out to be impossible.

Edited by NewMrMe, 16 November 2021 - 18:38.

#37 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,203 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 19:09

I'm going Pacific Nurburgring here. Distance approximately the same.

The Auckland Waterfront with blast through leafy suburbs. I reckon you'd get about six laps of this before everyone ran out of battery.

1.jpg

- Start line is Mission Bay/Tamaki Drive. Pits off Marau Cres. Big reserve areas both at street level and on the clifftops overlooking the street below. 

- Run along the picturesque waterfront all the way down to Ngapipi Road, at which point turn inland around the Basin road. Elevation comes into play from this point on with some camber challenges. 

- From there, a long climb up the hill to Eastridge along Kepa Road

- Right at the intersection of Kepa and Kohimaramara Road up to the intersection at St Heliers Bay Road. This would be the highest point. 

- A long, full-throttle blast along St Heliers Bay Road to Long Drive, before turning left and heading back towards the waterfront. 

- Left around the pictureseque, Lows-esque hairpin at the bottom of Long Drive and back onto Tamaki Drive for another high speed bllast back towards Mission Bay, with a strong cambered left hander leading back to the parklands. 

- Pub

This has never been used for a speed event. It should have been. But let me show you why.

Look at this - this is the bottom of Long Drive. Long sweeping right hander with huge camber leading into incredibly tight corner leading out onto crowned waterfront road. It even has palm tress!

2.jpg

#38 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 19:44

CPBelll, completely agree with those two criticisms. They are the two biggest stumbling blocks for the circuit. I did think of the Baku temporary surface and that is what made me think the idea might be a goer. It means the old surface doesn't have to be destroyed if the old surface wasn't suitable. Also, run off is a problem for turn 13. That is why I made at as tight a 90 degree right as possible. That and the fact the barrier could be at a shallow angle initially makes it just about doable.

Originally I wanted to see if it was possible to do something with the banking and also have the circuit going through the outdoor part of the museum going past Concorde. Both of those turned out to be impossible.

I feel I was too harsh on your excellent plan, hence I've replaced my post.  I think you're right on both matters; my concern regarding the old straight was that, for heritage reasons, I doubt you could replace the concrete, as at least some of it is period.

#39 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,294 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 19:45

-Turn 18

The old circuit is wide enough to allow for a hairpin at 18. Another long straight to provide another overtaking opportunity. This corner will also be the attack mode activation zone. There is also room for another spectator zone on the outside of corner for those who want to say they have seen cars race on the Brooklands circuit.

I love your Brooklands idea, but this section is going to require Extreme E cars.

Advertisement

#40 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,090 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 19:49

The Auckland Waterfront with blast through leafy suburbs. I reckon you'd get about six laps of this before everyone ran out of battery.

1.jpg

- Start line is Mission Bay/Tamaki Drive. Pits off Marau Cres. Big reserve areas both at street level and on the clifftops overlooking the street below. 

- Run along the picturesque waterfront all the way down to Ngapipi Road, at which point turn inland around the Basin road. Elevation comes into play from this point on with some camber challenges. 

- Right at the intersection of Kepa and Kohimaramara Road up to the intersection at St Heliers Bay Road. This would be the highest point. 

- A long, full-throttle blast along St Heliers Bay Road to Long Drive, before turning left and heading back towards the waterfront. 

- Left around the pictureseque, Lows-esque hairpin at the bottom of Long Drive and back onto Tamaki Drive for another high speed bllast back towards Mission Bay, with a strong cambered left hander leading back to the parklands. 

- Pub

This has never been used for a speed event. It should have been. But let me show you why.

Look at this - this is the bottom of Long Drive. Long sweeping right hander with huge camber leading into incredibly tight corner leading out onto crowned waterfront road. It even has palm tress!

2.jpg

Well, this could be suited for the track!  :smoking:

Wonderful setting!!

Edited by thegamer23, 16 November 2021 - 19:49.

#41 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 19:52

1.jpg

- Pub

2.jpg

That's certainly different to anything I can recall from last year!  I fear that run-off/escape road problems would be insurmountable, sadly, as the FIA guidelines are that the length of escape road should be 10% of the length of the previous straight.  Admittedly, my proposal doesn't always meet up to that standard.  I'd love to see zoomed-in satellite views from Google Maps/Earth of some of the important parts of the circuit just to get more of a feel for road width etc. 

Edited by cpbell, 16 November 2021 - 20:13.

#42 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 19:55

I love your Brooklands idea, but this section is going to require Extreme E cars.

As was said, you could do a Baku-esque temporary asphalt surface to protect the heritage concrete.

#43 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 19:56

Wonderful setting!!

Indeed!

#44 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,294 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 19:58

As was said, you could do a Baku-esque temporary asphalt surface to protect the heritage concrete.

That's not very environmentally friendly though.

Anyway I wasn't worried about the heritage concrete. That's survived 100 years and a few single seaters won't do much damage. I was worried about the cars that would be shaking themselves to bits on it.

#45 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,294 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 20:00

It's also an existing layout. :rotfl:

Loki could be the original designer of Talladega. You don't know.

#46 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 22:18

Loki could be the original designer of Talladega. You don't know.

Might I refer you to rule 2? :p

#47 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,294 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 22:19

Might I refer you to rule 2? :p

That's the joke. It might be his original design.

If you have to explain it...

#48 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 22:22

That's the joke. It might be his original design.

If you have to explain it...

Sorry, you've lost me.  I think the rules mean that it's an original design for this competition, not a previous design by the same person.

#49 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 17:27

Anyway I wasn't worried about the heritage concrete. That's survived 100 years and a few single seaters won't do much damage. I was worried about the cars that would be shaking themselves to bits on it.

That section of the old Brooklands is on the level and hasn't deteriorated as much as the banking.  It is used for the Merc young drivers' tuition.  But it might still be a bit too rough for racing.  Although the banking famously had bumps in it that launched cars into the air at high speed even back in the 1920s.

#50 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,399 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 17:48

Have a fun little idea for a track that I just need to figure out how to do the pictures for.  Will fit all the thread's criteria, with proper Monaco/Long Beach vibes.