Photo
- - - - -

3rd annual Unofficial Formula E Street Circuit Design Competition on behalf of maximilian

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
136 replies to this topic

#51 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 17:58

Have a fun little idea for a track that I just need to figure out how to do the pictures for.  Will fit all the thread's criteria, with proper Monaco/Long Beach vibes.

My approach is to use the distance measuring on Google Maps (satellite view) which produces the line you see in my submission and the caption showing distance and enclosed area, then export to Paint to add graphics, save a copy as a JPEG then upload to a site like ImgBB, which creates a link that can then be pasted into the thread using the Image icon.

Advertisement

#52 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,276 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 18:25

Sorry, you've lost me.  I think the rules mean that it's an original design for this competition, not a previous design by the same person.

Just let my bad joke die on it's own lack of merit, please.  :lol:

#53 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 18:26

Just let my bad joke die on it's own lack of merit, please.  :lol:

:p :lol:

#54 NewMrMe

NewMrMe

• 878 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 19:57

Have a fun little idea for a track that I just need to figure out how to do the pictures for.  Will fit all the thread's criteria, with proper Monaco/Long Beach vibes.

Are you having problems trying to create a post that includes an image? I had that problem yesterday. What I found worked for me was to initially post just the image and then edit it afterwards to add the text.

#55 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,397 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 20:55

I'm not really adding any text.  Just the bare minimum of the circuit.  

I've now got one normal idea and one completely stupid one.  Gonna enter both.

#56 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 20:56

I'm not really adding any text.  Just the bare minimum of the circuit.  

I've now got one normal idea and one completely stupid one.  Gonna enter both.

Can you please PM maximilian to check that he's OK with more than one entry per person.

Edited by cpbell, 17 November 2021 - 22:25.

#57 Frood

Frood

• 9,243 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 21:17

I've gone for something more in the realms of possibility this year, after last year's Turkmen silliness.

z8I4DVR.png

I've tried to mark possible locations for grandstands in orange; GA areas are in green. Of course, there'd be plenty of additional general admission on the pavements next to the roads.

I know that plans for an E-Prix in Japan have been proposed a couple of times, though nothing concrete has occurred yet. This, therefore, is my proposal for a Tokyo E-Prix, centred on the Meiji-Jingu Park, in the Shinjuku and Minato areas of the city. Gran Turismo fans may recognise the area as a short section is shared with the Tokyo R246 circuit - I tried a lot of different areas of Tokyo and this seems to be one of the few parts that would make a somewhat realistic circuit, so kudos to Polyphony Digital for finding another solution!

The start/finish line is located on Route 246 (Aoyama-dori Avenue). The majority of the road is six lanes wide (two three-lane wide sections), widening to 8 lanes at the intersections. This leaves plenty of space for racing on one side and a pit lane on the other. Some clever use of the pavements and inner lanes and the pit buildings can be built on the road, leaving enough space for a pit lane. Turn 1 (Honda e Bend) is a 90-degree left-hander at the intersection of Aoyama-dori Avenue and Gaienhigashi-dori Avenue (Route 319). The entry is high-speed and should provide a good opportunity for overtaking. On the outside of the corner is Honda's Aoyama building, which provides a motorsport link with plenty of F1 cars, GT cars and MotoGP bikes in the museum.

ZwTR16G.png

A shot from the outside of Turn 1. The circuit comes from the left-hand-side to the right in this picture.

Turns 2 and 3 (Akasaka) are a flat-out left-right sweep on Gaienhigashi-dori Avenue. This runs next to the grounds of the Akasaka Imperial Palace.

W0JXMve.png

The entrance of Turn 2.

The circuit continues down a fairly long straight into Turns 4 and 5 (Imperial Bend). Turn 4 is another 90-degree left-hander which takes the course onto Yotsuya-Tsunohazu Line (Route 414). Though the entry into the corner is three lanes wide, the corner itself widens before narrowing back to three lanes through Turn 5, which is an acceleration zone. The braking zone should be quite long and the wide corner should invite some good overtaking. This would also likely be the best point on the circuit to provide an attack mode activation zone on the outside of the corner.

FGSclgW.png

Turn 4, coming from the left lane in this shot. The right-hand lane will have plenty of space for temporary grandstands.

Turn 6 (Fountain Bend) will be a good test for the drivers as it is a near-180 degree right hand bend, probably taken at or near-full throttle. Getting onto the outside of the corner could be disastrous as the road seems to be crowned in the middle.

NLM5UvJ.png

Looking backwards at the middle of Turn 6.

uOeqnfR.png

The straight between Turns 6 and 7.

This leads to another fast straight between Turns 6 and 7, passing the Meiji-Jingu Baseball Stadium, the golf driving range and passing the circuit's main centrepiece, the National Stadium, as used at this year's Tokyo Olympics. Indeed, this is the main focus of the "green" aspect of the event; the Tokyo Olympics were branded the "greenest ever". Holding a Formula E race in the locality of the Games' biggest venue ties in with the "green" aspect of the games, such as the commitment to the use of electric vehicles during the games for the transportation of delegates, journalists, and so on.

Turn 7 (Stadium Bend) is tricky - it's a fast, sweeping right corner that also serves as a difficult curved braking zone for the sharp Turn 8 (Meiji-Jingu Corner), a left-hand hairpin that will be one of the main passing opportunities, as well as a DANGER ZONE. Expect a lot of action here.

kyHGDfQ.png

Turn 8, with the National Stadium in the background.

A short, slightly downhill straight follows into one of the trickiest sections on the course. The left-hand Turn 9 (Ice Rink) narrows on exit, leading to an immediate, blind, downhill right through Turn 10 and a flat-out Turn 11 (Gymnasium Hill), a compression point at the bottom of the hill.

zzGg61i.png

The downhill Turn 10 leading into the left-hand Turn 11.

The circuit heads down Gaiennishi-dori Avenue (Route 418), where some road furniture will have to be removed from the centreline. There is a short tunnel under the link between the National Stadium and the Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium on opposite sides of the road, which would be a good spectator viewing area from above the track. There's a decent straight before the braking zone at Turn 12 (Tunnel Turn), another sharp left-hander which immediately enters the second short tunnel section under the main entrance route into the stadium. Again, this should provide a good passing opportunity. This may also provide a small change in grip as the cars will move from sun to shade on corner exit.

3BLjvbT.png

Gaiennishi-dori Avenue.

Wo1lRJG.png

Turn 12.

There is a short, uphill straight into a difficult corner at Turn 13 (Olympic Bend), in front of the Japanese Olympic Museum. This is one of the more problematic corners on the circuit - it's a deceptively sharp right-hander which would require some SAFER barriers on the outside as there is little room for run-off.

nmPRd6m.png

Turn 13.

A fast straight follows, with the flat-out right at Turn 14 (Rugby Sweep - named after the stadium to the left on entry, not the town in Warwickshire) setting up for the final corner at Turn 15 (BMW i Square, named after the large BMW dealership on the corner of the intersection) which widens on entry due to the comparative lack of run-off on the outside of the corner. More SAFER / Tecpro barriers needed here! This'll be another good passing zone with a wide turn-in and exit leading back onto the long main straight.

UmqJO5g.png

Turn 15.

That's it. Should be quite a fast circuit with plenty of room for overtaking. Hopefully a motorsport-mad Japanese audience would take it to their heart. And yes, hopefully continuing the sustainability goals started at the Olympics in the world's largest city should help its credentials (in theory!)

#58 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 21:31

I've gone for something more in the realms of possibility this year, after last year's Turkmen silliness.

With the greatest respect to the other entries so far, this is my #1 at present.  I think a chicane between 14 and 15 might be needed, sadly, but the previous small runoff corner ought not be a difficulty as the preceding straight is short.

Edited by cpbell, 17 November 2021 - 21:32.

#59 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,276 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 22:04

Superb entry Frood! Looks like a track I’d enjoy driving.

Advertisement

#60 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 22:26

Superb entry Frood! Looks like a track I’d enjoy driving.

It's superbly-presented as well; in fact, I've improved my map in response. :lol:

#61 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,088 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:38

Another great entry, Tokyo, hell yes!!

Multiple danger zones there, love the track!
Also, totally plausible given FE loves racing around stadiums. 

This year's quality is top notch

#62 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,730 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 14:48

heres my contribution

Newquay, Cornwall England 

nqy.png

#63 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 14:52

heres my contribution

Newquay, Cornwall England 

nqy.png

Can you indicate which way the circuit is to be lapped, please? 

BTW, I've marked it on Google Maps satellite, and that comes to 3.19 miles.

Edited by cpbell, 18 November 2021 - 15:23.

#64 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,730 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 15:05

Can you indicate which way the circuit is to be lapped, please? 

AH, THE LENGTH IS ON THE SCREEN SHOT, BUT VERY SMAL. length 3.3 miles, elevation change 217ft

sorry shouting, its clockwise, 

Edited by jimjimjeroo, 18 November 2021 - 15:05.

#65 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 15:22

AH, THE LENGTH IS ON THE SCREEN SHOT, BUT VERY SMAL. length 3.3 miles, elevation change 217ft

sorry shouting, its clockwise, 

Saw that, but thanks for the indication on direction.  It's like the Auckland proposal - very exciting, quite lengthy, but some scary parts.  I'm really glad you and ClubmanGT went adventurous as it means I don't need to worry as much regarding the runoffs and mundane practicalities of my design. :clap: :cool:

Edited by cpbell, 18 November 2021 - 20:48.

#66 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 21:55

Can you please PM maximilian to check that he's OK with more than one entry per person.

No issues with multiple entries, as long as they are completely different (i.e. not variations of the same track/location) - I would say.  :cat:

#67 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 21:59

No issues with multiple entries, as long as they are completely different (i.e. not variations of the same track/location) - I would say.  :cat:

Agreed, I just thought you ought to have your say before the poster submits 2 entries.

#68 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,712 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 09:19

Wonderful idea!  I just worry, having seen the TV series Secrets of the Transport Museum (which was about Brooklands) that the old Finishing Straight is too uneven for FE.

I've been there a few times and yes, sadly without resurfacing and a lot of work which would destroy what remains of the 1907 concrete, no racing could take place. But awesome that an almost viable track has been created. I've often wondered about a short track taking in the (narrow) test hill, Members' Banking and then down the old start/finish straight backwards, looping back to the test hill. One could actually race bicycles on that today (I've walked it all several times). 

So...I seem to recall my ideas last year somehow didn't get posted. How do I get images onto this forum - it literally being the only one of seven that I frequent which cannot handle image posting directly. 

#69 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 12:11

I've been there a few times and yes, sadly without resurfacing and a lot of work which would destroy what remains of the 1907 concrete, no racing could take place. But awesome that an almost viable track has been created. I've often wondered about a short track taking in the (narrow) test hill, Members' Banking and then down the old start/finish straight backwards, looping back to the test hill. One could actually race bicycles on that today (I've walked it all several times). 

So...I seem to recall my ideas last year somehow didn't get posted. How do I get images onto this forum - it literally being the only one of seven that I frequent which cannot handle image posting directly. 

I save my map in Paint (outdadted I know but it's what I'm familiar with), then save it as a file on ImgBB.  That site then generates image links which can be posted here using the Image icon (to the right of the Link icon).

#70 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 12:31

THAT really IS absolutely ridiculous in this day and age...

Love seeing these entries come in!  :love:

#71 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,712 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 12:48

OK I still don't know what I am doing wrong. I have uploaded to ImgBB and got a URL. I use the picture icon when I post, input the URL and nothing appears in my post. 

I appreciate the bandwidth issue but this really is the only forum that doesn't permit uploading of at least 1200x1200 pictures. 

Maybe this is why I didn't get my designs in last year.

EDIT...it is saying I am not allowed to use "that image extension in this community". Like....standard JPEG 800x800 ?

I. Give. up.

#72 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 13:19

4707-1280.jpg

Test image... so, after uploading, select "bbcode full linked" from the dropdown, then copy that link, and paste it straight into the post editor - that should work?

Edited by maximilian, 19 November 2021 - 13:20.

#73 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,712 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 14:11

Test image... so, after uploading, select "bbcode full linked" from the dropdown, then copy that link, and paste it straight into the post editor - that should work?

I must be doing something very wrong. There is no dropdown.

I am using the icon "image" which looks a little like a painting or a Polaroid. I paste a URL link into it and then that's it until I try and hit "post"...when it tells me I can't. 

Gods...Z80 machine code wasn't this challenging. 

#74 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,276 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 15:11

OK I still don't know what I am doing wrong. I have uploaded to ImgBB and got a URL. I use the picture icon when I post, input the URL and nothing appears in my post. 

I appreciate the bandwidth issue but this really is the only forum that doesn't permit uploading of at least 1200x1200 pictures. 

Maybe this is why I didn't get my designs in last year.

EDIT...it is saying I am not allowed to use "that image extension in this community". Like....standard JPEG 800x800 ?

I. Give. up.

The forum software is very picky about file extensions and also it refuses if it’s from a http site, has to be secure https.

Ive never had any problems uploading to https://imgbb.com/ and then using the bb code link, or, open the image itself in a new tab, and past the address into the forum image post function.

#75 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 15:17

I must be doing something very wrong. There is no dropdown.

I am using the icon "image" which looks a little like a painting or a Polaroid. I paste a URL link into it and then that's it until I try and hit "post"...when it tells me I can't. 

Gods...Z80 machine code wasn't this challenging. 

Hmm www.imgbb.com .... hit START UPLOADING, select file.  Next screen when it asks about the autodelete, keep the default as "Don't autodelete" and hit UPLOAD.  Next screen, is says UPLOAD COMPLETE, that's where the dropdown is that lets you select BBCODE FULL LINKED.  Not sure what either of us are missing here   :lol:    

#76 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,276 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 15:40

Handy user guide to posting images.

1. This is imgbb.com, which is a reliable hosting site and many of us use it. Click start uploading and choose the files you wish to upload, or drag and drop them into the window pane.

Guide-1.png

2. When you've selected your images you should see this. Click upload.
Guide-2.png

3. When the upload has completed, you should see this. You have a couple of options. Either select BBCode full linked from the drop down menu, or click the image itself to be taken to a new screen.
Guide-3.png

4a. If you selected BBCode linked from the menu, you should see this: copy the url tagged text from the box.
Guide-4.png

4b. If you clicked the image thumbnail in step 3, then you are taken to a window with your image shown in large. Scroll to the bottom of the screen. Click the "Embed Codes" tab next to "About" and then you can copy the same url tagged text from the box.
Guide-5.png

In both cases, simply past that url tagged text in full into your post. It will appear when you submit your post. Click "More Reply Options" to see a post preview if you're not sure.

However, there is another method which you may try.

5. Following on from step 4b, if you clicked the image thumbnail in step 3, you will see your image in large. Right click and select "Open in New Tab".

Guide-6.png

6.Your browser should look like this, with only the image itself in a tab/window. Copy the image URL.

Guide-7.png

7. When composing your message, click the image button.

Guide-8.png

8. Paste the image URL from step 6 into the box, and click OK.

Guide-9.png

This time, your image should appear in the composition box of your message right away. I'd recommend you still preview your post before posting.

Note, you can upload multiple images at the same time. That is how I posted this guide.
Guide-10.png

#77 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 17:13

Yeah.  What PAYR said.

#78 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,195 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 20:52

PaYR: that post needs a sticky on each and every forum on here.
Tremendous work.

Loki could be the original designer of Talladega. You don't know.

Well, he IS old.. just not THAT old.
Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 19 November 2021 - 20:54.

#79 OneLapWonder

OneLapWonder

• 74 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 23:54

St. Petersburg ePrix

• The track runs between Palace Square and St Isaac's Square
  • Length is 2.8km, 15 corners
  • Characteristics: wide streets (mostly 4 lanes wide), pleasant scenery, no awkward hairpins
  • Highlight: the section between T10-T15 (high speed kinks)

Lay-out

E7K5gJl.png

Palace Square (start/finish area)

RC0na2Z.jpg

St Isaac's Square

VuVWrI1.jpg

Advertisement

#80 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,195 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 00:31

In reality….
0-AD98778-E000-462-D-BC9-C-DD402-CE8-E12

Still..
Очень красивого
Jp

#81 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 11:16

St. Petersburg ePrix

Like it!  Interesting concept - an FE track without any slow hairpins.

Edited by cpbell, 20 November 2021 - 11:25.

#82 BRG

BRG

• 25,940 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 12:18

Like it!  Interesting concept - an FE track without any slow hairpins.

That will never catch on!

It took me a moment to realise it was the REAL St Petersburg, not the plastic one.

#83 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 02:29

Time to bump this thread!  Too many useless F1 threads stinking up the place meanwhile!   :lol:  :wave:

#84 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 14:38

Time to bump this thread!  Too many useless F1 threads stinking up the place meanwhile!   :lol:  :wave:

Quoting for said effect.

#85 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 00:54

Quoting for said effect.

Great idea!  :wave:

#86 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,088 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 08:08

You could be summoned to the stewards for that  :smoking:

Btw, found the right location for my entry. 
It's going to be e-xciting.

#87 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,037 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 19:52

I was planning on doing this yesterday, but Storm Arwen had other ideas and we were one of the 200,000 Northumberland homes that ended up without power for much of Saturday (02:00-15:00ish for us). Still, all is calm again now so let's have another go.

Whilst my entries of the previous two years, Newcastle and Edinburgh, have reflected the area of the UK that I've called home for thirty years now, I am by origin a Shropshire Lad and Max's excellent idea to emphasise the environmental angle this year has led me back to my roots (or about twenty five miles from them, anyway). Where better to consider Formula E's ecological message than in the self-proclaimed "Birthplace of the Industrial Revolution"? (...brushing aside the fact that the Industrial Revolution was a gradual process that doesn't really have a single starting place or time). The Ironbridge Gorge is a UNESCO World Heritage Site in which the Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust manages ten separate museums and historic sites preserving the history of this important area.

The inaugural ePrix of the Ironbridge Gorge takes place on a 4.9 mile/7.9 km circuit that begins alongside the River Severn and climbs up and down the valley carved out by Britain's longest river after the Ice Age Lake Lapworth overflowed. The figure-of-eight layout common to my previous two entries has had to be (regretfully) abandoned this time, but this circuit still shares with its predecessors the attributes of greater than average length and some testing gradients.

It also serves to highlight the causes and effects of climate change in various ways. Whilst the smoke and grime that once filled the Gorge from the blast furnaces and mines that followed in the wake of Abraham Darby I's discovery of a method for producing pig iron with coke rather than the more expensive charcoal in the early 1700s have now been replaced by rolling woodland, the settlements alongside the Severn are still vulnerable to flooding; less than two years ago, in February 2020, the houses on the Wharfage alongside the startline of this circuit were partly underwater.

For those who feel that the venue is a little too rural for Formula E, the map shows that it lies on the doorstep (and runs a little way into) the new town of Telford, formed in the 1960s from the amalgamation of several smaller towns and villages. With a population of 140,000 Telford is by far Shropshire's largest settlement, with twice the population of the next largest, the county town of Shrewsbury. Indeed, almost one in three of all Salopians live in Telford (not counting we exiles, of course).

ironbridge.jpg

The lap begins on the High Street in the heart of Ironbridge village (the black line on the map) and climbs continuously up Madeley Road and through the long left turn past the Golden Ball Inn. Cresting the rise as it enters Madeley, one of the originally independent towns that is now merely a district of Telford, the circuit passes the Abraham Darby Sports Centre, which will function as the eVillage and Fan Zone.

Curving gently right, this section ends at the Lees Farm Roundabout, which will be the location of the Attack Mode Activation Point (marked in yellow on the map); whilst the circuit proper turns left round the roundabout, those taking Attack Mode will go right for the longer, "wrong way", run round to the exit for Parkway. Passing the BP garage, the circuit reaches its highest point at 475 feet/145 metres, some 340 feet/105 metres above the startline.

Taking the long right around Woodside Roundabout, Parkway runs along the northern edge of Madeley to Madeley Roundabout and onto Legges Way which begins the descent back into Ironbridge Gorge. About halfway down, the circuit passes the Blists Hill Victorian Town, a recreation of a late nineteenth century settlement which was always on my daughters' to-do list as children when we were visiting the grandparents...and still is now they're in their mid-twenties. The Chip Shop and Sweet Shop vie for their favourite place, but their father prefers the pub. I'm Salopian, it's genetic...

Legges Way becomes Coalport Road and then Coalport High Street before reaching the river once more and turning sharp right on The Lloyds. This is the lowest point of the circuit, at 124 feet/38 metres and leads onto a narrow section that is unlikely to see any overtaking but which twists and turns, and rises and falls, in a fine test of car handling and driver skill. Those with a good blend of both can make up much time on their less fortunate brethren through here.

Towards the end of The Lloyds, the circuit passes Lloyds Cottage, a remarkable eighteenth century dwelling whose crooked appearance bears testimony to the long history of subsidence in the Gorge, exacerbated by centuries of mine works. In 1952, almost directly across the river from Lloyds Cottage, a major landslip in the Salthouses area of the village of Jackfield destroyed 27 houses and narrowed the River Severn by 15 yards.

At the end of The Lloyds the circuit turns left onto the Jackfield Free Bridge and crosses the Severn for its final section. Climbing up from the bridge, a left-right chicane leads onto Ladywood which takes the circuit back down towards Ironbridge village. The visitor car park on the right of Ladywood provides ample space for the pits (marked in red on the map) and a sharp right brings the cars onto the Iron Bridge itself for a showpiece run back to the startline.

Cast in 1779 and completed two years later, the first iron bridge in the world was created by Abraham Darby III, grandson of Abraham I, and consists of a single arch spanning 100 feet/30 metres across the Gorge. It was the only bridge on the Severn to survive the great flood of 1795, inspiring the construction of similar bridges all across the world.

Though closed to traffic except for pedestrians in 1934, when it became a scheduled monument, several restoration projects since the 1970s mean that (in the fantasy world of this thread) obtaining permission for the Formula E field to run across the bridge a few dozen times over a single weekend is unlikely to cause more damage than the estimated one million pairs of feet that walk across it during the rest of the year.

CIRCUIT PHOTOS:

1) Looking back along the startline with the Tontine Inn on the right and the Iron Bridge on the left (and some TNF-friendly vehicles in shot)
Ironbridge-Circuit-I.jpg

2) The highest point of the circuit, the BP petrol station on Parkway approaching the Woodside Roundabout
Ironbridge-Circuit-II.jpg

3) The descent of Legges Way, passing the entrance to Blists Hill Victorian Town
Ironbridge-Circuit-III.jpg

4) Lloyds Cottage
Ironbridge-Circuit-IV.jpg

5) The Jackfield Free Bridge
Ironbridge-Circuit-V.jpg

6) Ladywood, with the pitlane entrance on the right
Ironbridge-Circuit-VI.jpg

Edited by Alan Lewis, 28 November 2021 - 19:56.

#88 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,088 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 20:18

I would actually like to see FE racing in this kind of scenery.
Also, nice emphasis on the environmental side of it, with a cool insight.

Some very interesting sections, good job Alan!  :up:  :up:

#89 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 21:11

I would actually like to see FE racing in this kind of scenery.
Also, nice emphasis on the environmental side of it, with a cool insight.

Some very interesting sections, good job Alan!  :up:  :up:

Yes, I think, despite the original aim of FE to get motorsport into large cities, there have been enough circuits in non-central locations that I think there's a case to be made for something more rural. :cool:

Edited by cpbell, 28 November 2021 - 21:12.

#90 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 03:38

Actually having a more rural event might go a long way in highlighting the advances in battery technology that have been made, giving electric vehicles a much greater range that goes well beyond cities, so this is good!  :up:

#91 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,276 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 07:56

I haven’t got round to drawing mine yet, but it’s definitely going to be quite rural, to really make the most of rule 6.

#92 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 23:28

Anyone mind if I enter a modified version of one of my entries from last year as well as the Novi Sad proposal?  It won't have any link to environmental sustainability/climate change beyond the remit of Formula E as a zero-emission way of getting motorsport and EV technology into cities, unfortunately.

Have at it, mate... the more, the merrier  :up:

#93 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 22:33

Bumping with a reminder that you have until midnight on December 24th to submit entries.

#94 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 23:18

Bumping with 9 days left.

#95 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,081 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 23:28

I have an idea, I just need to draw it up - aiming for this weekend 

#96 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,276 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 00:04

I promise I will get mine in sometime next week. I’m just super busy at work right now.

#97 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 18:44

I have an idea, I just need to draw it up - aiming for this weekend 

I promise I will get mine in sometime next week. I’m just super busy at work right now.

Maybe a short extension of the deadline is in order, or is that too Masi-esque? :eek: :lol: :wave: :smoking:

#98 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,276 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 19:54

My last day at work before Xmas is the 22nd, and I'll probably do it this weekend anyway. I'll be ok.

#99 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,081 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 17:14

I've drawn up my idea now and I'm fairly happy, just need to write up my description and environmental link and I expect to post it this week  :)

Advertisement

#100 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,276 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 21:41

Presenting the

Buckfast Tonic Wine E-Prix of Devon in Dartmoor

Using the same logic as FE's cousin, Extreme E, this E-Prix will highlight the dangers of climate change by racing in the very environment that we're aiming to save. The paradox of FE has always been that it's trying to highlight the effects of carbon emissions on the environment, but racing in the most manmade, unnatural environments imaginable. So here we're going to buck that trend by going rural. Not just anywhere, but to a National Park, and area where the beauty, majesty and fragility of mother nature is not just showcased, but protected. In this case, Dartmoor National Park, with its tors, ponies and unique climate.

A typical* Dartmoor view:

800px-View_to_Sharpitor_from_Meavy.JPG

*Typical of the location. More typically it would be clagged with fog.

To still take the racing "to the people" we're going to race in one of Dartmoor's most populous towns, Buckfastleigh. Home to just over 3000 people, it is easily accessed from the A38. It is home to the famous Abby Church of St. Mary, whose monks have been brewing their infamous "tonic wine", fuel for many a drunk Scotsman, since 1890.

The circuit is 3.5 miles of country lanes and tight streets, with plenty of elevation changes to keep a driver on their toes.

Map.png

In the grand FE tradition, the pit lane is neither co-located with the Start/Finish line nor is it parallel to the circuit itself. The pits will be set in the Abbey grounds, as demonstrated here.

Pit-Lane.png

Plans for the exact configuration of the pit lane are not quite finalised, but the path on the right of the picture will be the main fast lane.

A lap of the track.

The starting grid is on the downhill on Higher Mill Ln, and Turn 1 is immediate. A very fast right sweep onto Buckfast Rd.

Turn-1.png

Stay alert, as the pit lane entrance is on the left. Soon you'll be braking into Turn 2, a 90 right continuing along Buckfast Rd. Cars will leave the pits on the outside.

Turn-2.png

As with the entire circuit, street furniture will be removed as necessary.

Continuing downhill, woods line the track as you sweep through a number of flat out esses, such as this one at Turn 4.

Turn-4.png

The Abbey Inn pub provided a local landmark on the second set of esses, seen on the outside of Turn 6.

Turn-6-Abby-Inn.png

The next real overtaking opportunity appears at Turn 8, at the mini-roundabout on Dartbridge Rd.