Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Who do you want to win the title?

• Please log in to reply
493 replies to this topic

Poll: Who would you like to win the WDC? (500 member(s) have cast votes)

Who would you like to win the WDC?

1. Max Verstappen (179 votes [35.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.80%

2. Lewis Hamilton (280 votes [56.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.00%

3. No preference, both are fine (41 votes [8.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.20%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,806 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:24

Simple question. Who do you like to win the title. It's not who you think  will or who's better, just the guy you are rooting for. 

Advertisement

#2 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,846 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:25

Up until yesterday I would have said Max. After yesterday I could definitely live with a Hamilton championship. 

#3 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,400 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:25

Lewis for sure.

I don't mind Max winning it though, he's clearly a great driver. That just makes it all the more frustrating that he continues to drive like a ****.

#4 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 1,860 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:26

Can't imagine this thread will last long so, in before lock..

Was always Lewis but could have congratulated Max up until yesterday.

Now, I actively hope Max is nowhere near the WDC title until his driving is under control.

#5 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,490 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:27

I’ve always been pretty ambivalent about Lewis, enjoyed 07/08 then always cheered on Jenson when they were together and found the Mercedes years quite dull.

But this year I have been utterly appalled with Max’s driving standards and do not want him to be rewarded for behaving in the way he has.

That he, Christian Horner and Helmet Marko are supremely difficult to like off the track doesn’t help, either.

#6 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,098 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:34

I’m fine with either.

If Max wins then we have a new Champion.

If Lewis wins then we have a record-breaking 8 titles. 

I kind of want Lewis to win as I don’t like having him and MS tied on 7!

#7 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:34

FIA: Lewis

Me: Max

He should have had the title already, but got screwed over with Baku, Silverstone and Hungary. Also every 50/50 is against him and even 0/100 (Silverstone) is held against him. I also can't stand the Mercedes cry politics and the FIA going along with it. 

#8 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:37

After yesterday, I voted Lewis.

#9 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,686 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:37

Simple question. Who do you like to win the title. It's not who you think  will or who's better, just the guy you are rooting for. 

I added a third option to the poll Taxi (no preference).

#10 masa90

masa90

• 2,035 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:38

Honestly I wish neither. Same in teams aswell. This year started out as cool and fair battle, it turned into bitter and childish bs.

#11 messy

messy

• 7,501 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:38

All season I've been baying for Mercedes' blood, because I'm fed up with them winning everything. I'm sick of the smug look on Toto's face, sick of Lewis moaning on the radio, sick of 'spicy' engines that suddenly give them a half-second a lap boost out of nowhere after toying with us all year. I'm not fan of Red Bull, Horner et al but it was high time for someone to break Mercedes' stranglehold. I'm revising this thinking now after yesterday. 

#12 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,686 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:39

I'm indifferent after this weekend. Wouldn't mind if Max takes it, but am also fine when Lewis wins it. My appreciation of this WDC has dropped a lot since yesterday though.

#13 Huffer

Huffer

• 3,581 posts

:eek:

Mate, are you feeling ok?

#14 restless

restless

• 666 posts

FIA: Lewis

Me: Max

He should have had the title already, but got screwed over with Baku, Silverstone and Hungary. Also every 50/50 is against him and even 0/100 (Silverstone) is held against him. I also can't stand the Mercedes cry politics and the FIA going along with it. 

this.

I think yesterday driving from verstappen was desperation. Also Rb "tactics"

They know they are screwed and have no real chances on track, just trying to somehow make a miracle.

I can clearly see Verstappen fighting with his demons over "may I make a collision and win".

He won even if by a small margin, so cudos to him.

Congrats to Lewis. Disrespect to FIA for decisions which decided the title

#15 Ramon69

Ramon69

• 1,381 posts

Up until yesterday I would have said Max. After yesterday I could definitely live with a Hamilton championship. 

I have to fully agree!  :up:

#16 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:40

Max simply because i I'm fed up of yet another Mercedes/Hamilton title won by a dominant car in the last few races.
But yeah, I wish someone driving more fairly would be their opponent. From a performance point of view, Verstappen fully deserved the title.

Edited by Jovanotti, 06 December 2021 - 08:44.

#17 jacdaniel

jacdaniel

• 1,361 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:41

I want Max to win. He's proved to be the better driver when in equal machinery.

Lewis has been brilliant as well but the contact in Silverstone/Hungary and the spicy engines would taint it for me.

It's sad to see it fizzle out with 1 car dominating.

#18 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,910 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:42

This topic is very vulnerable of the "you're just as good as your last race" vibe.

Max has been the better driver this season. And F1 still needs something other than dominant Mercedes victories. So I keep rooting for Max.

#19 GTR

GTR

• 727 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:44

Snowflakes detector: Silverstone and Hungaroring... blah blah blah. Honestly. It's just like Trump's supporters who moaned constantly that "the election was rigged".

Actually, despite supporting Lewis more, I have come to terms with the high possibility of Max becomes WDC this year and I was totally fine with that before Interlagos (even with Monza): Max is exceptionally talented and before Interlagos he would perfectly deserve it.

Now? I just disappoint. Somehow I still feel Max will still get the title, but I cannot be ok with it anymore. His behaviour is just too ugly. He does not need to behave like that.

Edited by GTR, 06 December 2021 - 08:45.

Advertisement

#20 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,714 posts

After that brake test, clearly Hamilton!

#21 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,872 posts

Given Verstappen's standard of driving in recent races it would be a big shame for the sport if that was rewarded with the title, so definitely Lewis.

Had you asked me earlier in the year I would have said Lewis, but Verstappen was also deserving. I'm not sure that view is easily justified of late.

#22 Spyker

Spyker

• 1,109 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:45

Given Verstappen's standard of driving in recent races it would be a big shame for the sport if that was rewarded with the title, so definitely Lewis.

Had you asked me earlier in the year I would have said Lewis, but Verstappen was also deserving. I'm not sure that view is easily justified of late.

Copy and paste

#23 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,923 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:45

Lewis for me, it just doesn't sit right that Max's dirty driving should yield a championship, and it's now looking like it's coming back to bite him - he drove like a petulant kid yesterday.

Max is a great talent, he might even be the fastest on the grid now, but you need more than that to win titles, he needs to look at how drivers like Lewis, Seb and Fernando approach a championship bid. You need to play the long game and have respect for your opponent. He's young, he'll learn. 

Edited by ForzaGTR, 06 December 2021 - 08:47.

#24 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:50

Snowflakes detector: Silverstone and Hungaroring... blah blah blah. Honestly. It's just like Trump's supporters who moaned constantly that "the election was rigged".

Actually, despite supporting Lewis more, I have come to terms with the high possibility of Max becomes WDC this year and I was totally fine with that before Interlagos (even with Monza): Max is exceptionally talented and before Interlagos he would perfectly deserve it.

Now? I just disappoint. Somehow I still feel Max will still get the title, but I cannot be ok with it anymore. His behaviour is just too ugly. He does not need to behave like that.

Well, how many Red Bulls have taken out a Mercedes?

How many Mercedes have taken out a Red Bull?

What was the net point gain due those actions?

Yeah, fighting against the cheat wing and very liberal with the engine rules + getting every verdict dice rolled in your favor really shows the Mercedes effort. If Silverstone would happen now, what would everyone say? I think Lewis would have gotten a lot more than 10 seconds. Hungary? A teammate barging of the WDC-leader in the final stretch of the season? More so. But because that all happened months ago, it doesn't seem to count as heavy as the last race.

#25 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:50

I always said up to now, let the better man win.

Max is no longer the better Man.

#26 flyboym3

flyboym3

• 2,039 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:52

Prior to these recent incidents I would have preferred Lewis to get the 8th but would have accepted max because he was deserving of it too.

Now though it would be a taint on the sport if Max is rewarded with the victory this year.

Edited by flyboym3, 06 December 2021 - 08:55.

#27 jacdaniel

jacdaniel

• 1,361 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:53

I always said up to now, let the better man win.

Max is no longer the better Man.

He was when the machinery was equal.

#28 jacdaniel

jacdaniel

• 1,361 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:54

It's funny how everyone forgets when Red Bull were dominating and Mercedes got desperate and knocked them off the track a few times.

But Max is a disgrace for defending hard in a slower car...

#29 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:55

Yeah, fighting against the cheat wing and very liberal with the engine rules + getting every verdict dice rolled in your favor really shows the Mercedes effort. If Silverstone would happen now, what would everyone say? I think Lewis would have gotten a lot more than 10 seconds. Hungary? A teammate barging of the WDC-leader in the final stretch of the season? More so. But because that all happened months ago, it doesn't seem to count as heavy as the last race.

You're clutching at straws, Lewis didn't leave the track at Sliverstone, and max did what he always does "move or we crash" turn in.
Bottas crash was just one of those wet weather incidents that can happen at any point.

Stop using these incidents to deflect from max's ditry driving, which by the way hasn't just been this season. The guy is desperate, he was slower, he had nothing left in terms of pace or racing so it devolved into "you move or we crash again" like 3 times, in a single race.

#30 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,923 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:58

None of that is related to what Hamilton himself does on track. People have made it very clear in this and many other topics that its Max's on track antics they don't support. Off track it's political ping pong where both RB and Merc are just as bad as each other. 

Is Hamilton a saint on track? No, but more often than not, it's Hamilton backing out of Max's crash or take evasive action policy that is avoided many more collisions this year, it's unsporting and many are sick of watching it. Hamilton has had many battles with other championship winning drivers over the years, only Max has deployed these dirty tactics on such a regular basis, it's got to the point where we all expect a crash to happen due to Max shutting the door aggressively. Take Fernando, he's a very hard defender, difficult to pass, even in an Alpine, but he's hard but fair, can you really say the same about Max? 

Edited by ForzaGTR, 06 December 2021 - 09:00.

#31 Eff1

Eff1

• 744 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:59

I would prefer Max to win it, purely because I think it will be better overall for the sport to have another champion on the grid. It will set-up next season very nicely.

Equally, I would not begrudge Hamilton if he won it, he has been outstanding as well. There is no denying it. The margins between the two are so small.

Mercedes have been outstanding since the defeat in Mexico.

The problem for Max is he has a competitive car but the Mercedes has hit a sweet spot. Brazil, Qatar and Saudi Arabia (at least in race trim) they were a cut above, Max knows this and has watched his points lead erode away, he has been a little powerless to stop it, which is partly why he is resorting to desperate "i'll place my car in awkward positions and you decide if you want to crash" moments. He will continue this in Abu Dhabi, where I also suspect Red Bull will have no answer to Mercedes in race trim. And then....I suspect the inevitable will happen. Gut feeling. 

#32 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:02

I was indifferent until yesterday. I obviously support Lewis, but Max deserves a title and drove on a brilliant level for a long time this year, and Honda deserves it. But watching yesterday made me uncomfortable, so going firmly for Lewis now.

#33 jacdaniel

jacdaniel

• 1,361 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:02

If Max was really dirty the opportunities were certainly there to knock Lewis off yesterday and focus on P2 in AD.

He's just defending hard, maybe even a little desperate as he knows the title is slipping away.

#34 Mark1865

Mark1865

• 442 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:03

Have always wanted Lewis to win it.

Up to and including Mexico Max had been the better driver overall and had more bad luck than Lewis. However, the season is 22 races long and not 18 and now not only has Lewis out-performed Max since Mexico, the luck has evened out as well. 

#35 Spyker

Spyker

• 1,109 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:03

Russell

#36 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,223 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:04

Exactly this.

#37 InfamousArrows

InfamousArrows

• 109 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:06

Max. This sports needs a new champion and he's been the best driver. 

He should've been champion already and if he doesn't win it its because he got punted out of dozens of points by Lewis, Bottas en Pirreli. 

#38 GTR

GTR

• 727 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:06

I don't see the need to answer to this kind of logic as I think it is a waste of time, and it is as in vain as trying to argue with a Trump supporter about common-sense (sorry I know bringing Trump here is very irrelevant - just couldn't help), but anyway:
- Hungaroring: you do not cry fault of an honest mistake from a random driver just happened to be a Mercedes driver, and put it as a counterbalance to intentional dirty actions from the other side (i.e. I broke your car rearview mirror by accident and you intentionally smash mine just to breakeven?)
- Silverstone: it's never a 100/0. At least 70/30 if not 60/40. ask other drivers. Penalty was handed out and served. What more do you want?

My last time dragging onto this kind of silly, endless and non logical arguments. Sorry English not my first language.

#39 Pingguest

Pingguest

• 942 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:14

After yesterday, I voted Max. Lewis got so much help this year from others, particularly the FIA. 

Advertisement

#40 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,864 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:16

Verstappen.

Sick to death of Hamilton.

#41 Eyeshield

Eyeshield

• 250 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:19

I was OK with either winning until after Brazil. Before Brazil I was certain Max was going to win and I had accepted it, I thought he had a good year up to that point. But with his recent antics and that of his team I am now firmly in the Lewis camp. It's impossible to support how he and his team have behaved and with him winning the championship it will send out the wrong message.

#42 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,499 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:22

The one powered by Honda

#43 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:22

You're clutching at straws, Lewis didn't leave the track at Sliverstone, and max did what he always does "move or we crash" turn in.
Bottas crash was just one of those wet weather incidents that can happen at any point.

Stop using these incidents to deflect from max's ditry driving, which by the way hasn't just been this season. The guy is desperate, he was slower, he had nothing left in terms of pace or racing so it devolved into "you move or we crash again" like 3 times, in a single race.

Lewis didn't hit the apex either and Max gave him 1,5 car widths on the inside.

Without all that, Verstappen wouldn't need the 'dirty' driving and the current Merc form would be too little, too late. 

#44 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:23

Lewis, but I don't really care anymore.

Any tension or excitement I had for the title race was extinguished at the first restart, because from that moment on it was no longer a fair contest, and it was extremely, extremely blatant. Everything afterwards just compounded this feeling.

I used this analogy in the Mercedes team thread, but compare this "title fight" between "two greats" to the final of a grand slam. Five sets, Federer, Nadal. Both giving their all, not even a hint of unsportsmanlike conduct. May the best man win. And then compare it to yesterday. It's a mockery of "sport" excused away under the guise of drama and entertainment.

I love F1, probably too much. It brings me such joy to watch the races and seasons unfold because I really enjoy the racing. But what we are seeing is not racing, not even close. We are being robbed as fans, taken for a ride for our eyeballs, clicks and money.

So if Lewis wins? Yeah, great, good wins against bad. Cheaters never prosper, etc. It's not exactly celebration worthy though, is it? I want the season to end now, so we can be done with this nonsense.

#45 Okyo

Okyo

• 2,868 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:24

This.

#46 Pingguest

Pingguest

• 942 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:24

After that brake test, clearly Hamilton!

That "brake test" - ahum - is clearly more dangerous than causing a 51G crash, which everyone seem to have forgotten. 

#47 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,294 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:25

That "brake test" - ahum - is clearly more dangerous than causing a 51G crash, which everyone seem to have forgotten. 

If there is anything I can assure you, it's that this forum has most certainly not forgotten about Silverstone...!

#48 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,923 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:25

Was it actually 51g, that seems a bit low, I thought it was 51.5G?

#49 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:26

They are both disgusting. Make me sick.

#50 Okyo

Okyo

• 2,868 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:26

Think this is a clear cut thread. Garbage talk about specific incidents from yesterday have their own thread.