- - - - -

Farewell to our iceman Kimi Raikkonen

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#1 sniper80

sniper80

• 1,962 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 20:00

With all the controversy and polarisation surrounding the F1 championship battle, we would almost forget that next raceweekend will end the long career of our iceman Kimi Raikkonen.
Still one of my favourite drivers of all time!
I remember the time he got into F1 straight from Formula Renault (not even F3!). Nobody thought he was up to it except for his management & Peter Sauber. But he impressed the world of F1 immediately with impressive drives, speed & great racecraft.

Kimi-Raikkonen-2001-Sauber.jpg

One year later, he was already in the McLaren-Mercedes as successor to fellow countryman & F1 legend Mika Hakkinen.
To me, that is still his best era in F1. He was very fast, challenging for the title on several occasions, only for the poor reliablity of McLaren to prevent him from becoming WDC.
Everyone will remember his greatest drive in Suzuka 2005: https://www.youtube....h?v=zf4axwL-jPU

formula-1-race-cars-mclaren-mp4-20-kimi-.

His transfer to and first period with Ferrari to be the successor of legendary Michael Schumacher was very succesful with many race wins and the title in 2007
image16x9.img.1536.high.jpg

Unfortunately the relation with some team members at Ferrari went sour after a strange 2009 season, where after he was put aside & paid for a sabbatical year in favour of Fernando Alonso for 2010.
Kimi had enough of F1 and explored some other motorsports together with Red Bull, like the Rally championship.
A lot of fun, but also a lot of crashes  :rotfl: 
He also did some NASCAR racing in the USA.

F1-vers-un-retour-de-Kimi-Raikkonen-en-W

After his break from F1, the passion & love for the pinnacle of racing came back and he joined the Lotus F1 team (former Renault) for the 2012-2013 seasons.
Kimi was very succesful on his comeback with a lot of podiums, 2 race wins & many championship points finishing 3rd & 5th in the tables respectively.

Kimi-Raikkonen-01.jpg

f1-raikkonen-e21-lotus-inline.jpg

Unforunately, the relation with the management went in the wrong direction in the final part of the 2013 season as he was not paid correctly by the team for his duties. Apparently he scored too many points and Lotus had to pay him more than they could! :stoned: 
He was rapidly picked up again by Ferrari for a second stint at the team from 2014 till 2018, first as partner to Alonso, then to Vettel.
No title this time with Ferrari, and only one win in 5 seasons, but a lot of comeradry & a bond for life with Sebastian Vettel.

kimi-raikkonen-ferrari-1st-p-1.jpg

The fall of his career brought 3 seasons with Sauber Alfa Romeo, the team where everything started for him in F1.
Outside the podium & spotlight, but still some inspiring drives & a mentor to teammate Giovinazzi.

kimi-raikkonen-alfa-romeo-raci.jpg

Who has forgotten his 2020 race start in Portugal? No other evidence of his masterful racecraft necessary!

https://www.youtube....hannel=FORMULA1

One more race to go this weekend, and a true character and one of the last no-nonsense clean racers will leave our beloved battlefield.

Thank you Kimi for all the joy you brought to me during the years, thanks for all the splendid blistering drives and the awkward interview moments. A truly unique man & driver!
Let's hope we see him in the paddock from time to time and in other racing categories. There are rumors he will be part of the Ferrari long distance racing team in the future.
But finally there will be more time for the wife & kids. After all, F1 was just his hobby...

1536715939182.jpg?format=pjpg&optimize=m

Edited by sniper80, 07 December 2021 - 20:01.

Advertisement

#2 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 20:04

Hear, hear!

#3 Go_Go

Go_Go

• 292 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 20:25

My first nickname was Kimi_Fan,i like him since McLaren period and never blamed him for switch to the enemy Ferrari and WDC title there!

Farewell,Kimi!

#4 RekF1

RekF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 20:34

I wonder if he ends up like Paul Scholes? He was an introvert and now first smack talks everyone.

He could still have a big influence on the sport. I don't think it's possible to not like Kimi. Great driver.

#5 engineblock1

engineblock1

• 1,064 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 20:37

When I started following F1, I was a Kimi fan. Back in mid 2000s, you would absolutely be grilled on some forums if you ever said anything bad about Kimi. People loved him for his character and driving. He surely was a driver who could have achieved much more if not for those breaking McLarens (this i cannot confirm but I have to rely on opinion of people who watched F1 before me prior to 2006).

It is quite a major event that he will not be on the grid anymore next year. There is a generation of fans who probably will find it hard to imagine a grid without him. Unfortunately in all the heat of LH vs MV we are forgetting that we wont see Iceman any longer.

However, I must say once he won the title, he really did not do any favors to his earlier reputation. Him and Vettel will always  be remembered as drivers who had massive drops in performance over careers and will never be rated in the league of likes of MSC, Senna, Prost, Hamilton etc.

#6 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 2,621 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 20:40

A clean racer. Can't say I watched through his prime of say 2003-2006 but when he had the car and tyres he wanted, one of the very best.

#7 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,119 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 20:45

A F1 Legend, we'll miss him next season.

On his day, he's still one of the fastest drivers out there in the races, what a beast:up:  :up:

Abu Dhabi will also see the end of one of F1's most underrated bromances, as GIO leaves with him.

#8 HerbieMcQueen

HerbieMcQueen

• 1,574 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 20:48

They make 'em like him in ever decreasing volume. I've always appreciated how uncomplicated Mr. Raikkonen is, and he'll be missed. One of the quickest drivers I've seen too.

#9 sniper80

sniper80

• 1,962 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 20:48

However, I must say once he won the title, he really did not do any favors to his earlier reputation. Him and Vettel will always  be remembered as drivers who had massive drops in performance over careers and will never be rated in the league of likes of MSC, Senna, Prost, Hamilton etc.

I agree to his 2nd Ferrari stint, but his time at Lotus was mesmerizing. He was challenging for the title in that Lotus for some time.

#10 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 20:51

Bwoah

#11 messy

messy

• 7,499 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 21:15

I reckon Kimi will probably just vanish off for a quiet life, but I’d quite like him to do a Mika Häkkinen and completely change public persona after retirement - Mika now prolific podcaster, brilliant storyteller, you can’t shut him up. Kimi clearly has a real story to tell but I doubt he really wants to. He’s got a lovely life, lovely young family, he’ll go and enjoy it and good luck to him. I don’t really see him popping back up in F1 because why would he? The guy lives to drive, not talk.

I’ll miss him, but I feel like it’s probably time. The 2021 Kimi Raikkonen seems so far removed from the spellbinding one in the 2005 McLaren that it seems almost like a completely different guy. McLaren Kimi captures the imagination like few others - not lifting through that wall of smoke at Spa, hunting down Fisichella at Suzuka, breaking his suspension on the last lap at the Nurburgring, can’t believe this was 17 years ago but actually it feels it, so much has happened in his career since that. He’s adapted so well to the demands of different eras of F1 and he was still winning so recently, in 2018. I remember almost being in tears as he crossed the line at Austin that year, because I never thought I’d see it again. Then Kimi gets out of the car and seems moderately satisfied and I’m thinking “why did I get emotional if he doesn’t really care himself?”

He clearly does though. Fascinating guy, brilliant racing driver.

#12 YorkF1Fan

YorkF1Fan

• 808 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 21:41

I will be having a ice cream during the final race in honour of Kimi! He'll be missed 

#13 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,922 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 22:23

I don’t give a ****.

It’s how he’d want it.

#14 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,277 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 22:33

Was a big fan when he was at McLaren, but his traitorous move to Maranello ended my support of him.

#15 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 22:41

His McLaren period was just amazing. Seemed like the best driver on the grid during those years for me.

I love the guys stoic style.

#16 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 22:41

Was a big fan when he was at McLaren, but his traitorous move to Maranello ended my support of him.

Drivers change teams, and teams fire drivers. Get over it.

#17 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,180 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 22:43

Can't let this go without a mention of the ice cream

http://static.sports...763-1966763.jpg

#18 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,863 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 22:50

So unique these days.

I’ll miss him.

#19 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,277 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 22:58

Drivers change teams, and teams fire drivers. Get over it.

Can live without the personal abuse, I am not under it.

But it’s a perfectly reasonable position in sport to not support anyone who drives for Ferrari.

If he had ever come back to McLaren I would have wholeheartedly backed him again. (eg F Alonso)

Advertisement

#20 ZZei

ZZei

• 614 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 23:04

One of a kind. Total opposite to say Schumacher or Vettel, who lived and breathed F1 in their peaks. Talent wise up there with Alonso and Hamilton for sure. Personality wise, in his words "we all have our opinions". I just wish we get a real tribute of his driving rather than the memes, and the younger generation of F1 fans would at least aknowledge the driver he was in the 2000s.

#21 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,159 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 23:07

I will always remember him for his drives at Spa. 

And the youtube videos of him are hilarious!

Farewell, Kimi!

Edited by GlenWatkins, 07 December 2021 - 23:09.

#22 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,024 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 23:10

A lot of his post DNF interviews went like this.

"What happened out there Kimi, why did the car stop?

"hydraulics" 

#23 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,119 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 23:30

Aw, give it a couple of years, he might make a comeback.

#24 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 23:33

Apart from his McLaren years, where he was just scary good, his knack for making click bait journalists look like the pathetic losers they are by just his facial expression alone was just *chef's kiss* :love:

#25 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,159 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 23:34

It appears that he may not be finished racing:

https://scuderiafans...percar-in-2023/

#26 P123

P123

• 23,963 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 23:37

20 years since Kimi made his debut.

Where did that time go..!?   :D

#27 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,038 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 23:48

20 years since Kimi made his debut.

Where did that time go..!? :D

20 years ago I was wondering where the last 20 years had gone...

#28 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 23:53

I've never really supported him, but will remember him as a very fair driver with some incredible results.

#29 danmills

danmills

• 3,174 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 00:59

Will he do mega donuts after the flag?

#30 jumpeyspyder

jumpeyspyder

• 64 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 01:16

I remember watching his first race - he had the hunger and great racecraft for a rookie - One of my few correct predictions I've made in F1 - I said  one day he be WDC (My mates laughed) Great driver !
Will miss the iceman!

#31 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,647 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 01:19

Kimi greatly softened the blow of Mika's retirement. I was on the verge of not watching F1 anymore at that time, and I'm thankful to him that he helped me soldier on. 

His Brazil interview with Brundle, his Gorilla suit in Monaco, his Ice Cream in Malaysia, his inability to not touch his face during ANY press conference all to one side; it was the sheer speed, bravery, and just clinically fair racing he gave us, blew my mind. It's a total travesty that he never won a WDC at McLaren and I will always be bitter that the McLaren reliability failed him so badly, at the time. 

On top of everything, I thought his helmets were "sick" as a youth  :lol: 

Thanks for everything Kimi! 

Edited by mclarensmps, 08 December 2021 - 01:20.

#32 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,806 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 02:22

Most people will say he is enigmatic, I will say he shows just how he is/feels. From his shy persona, to the family man, all the way through his party animal time... He always showed us who he was.

I'll just remember a guy who gave it all he could and loved racing, not just for winning.

A guy who was complete opposite of the previous driver I supported: Alesi. Two completely different personalities, but that engaged you the same way, and that's why they'll stay forever in the tiffosi's hearts. I don't know what too call it, but find it a little more than coincidental that one "finished" the other one's career.

I don't know what I will do with F1 next year.

#33 aray

aray

• 5,830 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 02:42

Goodbye and goodluck Kimi.

#34 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,481 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 02:53

One of the funniest men ever to turn a steering wheel in anger.

Not a bad driver, too.

One of my fondest memories involving terror at what a pilote had the balls to do involved the time Kimi blasted through a cloud of someone’s smoke, through Eau Rouge, and onward.  :eek: :stoned:

He’s also one of the few F1 drivers to whom I’d consider sending a postcard. :)

Edited by Zmeej, 08 December 2021 - 02:56.

#35 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,253 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 03:27

Kimi Raikkonnen, Yes, my hero, I love the way kimi went around everybody else on the tarck just as if everyone else were having a nap,...  :p

Was blistering fast, thrilling, scarely at some point, feared for the worst during the rally seasons, but after all, no major accident was reported.

Hope things wil turn out right for him, Kimi has calibre to do LeMan24, perhaps multiple times. 

Thank you Kimi, 

#36 SB

SB

• 2,437 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 03:29

Sorry I've read the subject as 'Farewell to our ice-cream Kimi"  :D

#37 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,458 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 04:09

Underrated driver. Should have been at least 2x WDC. Last Ferrari champ./

#38 SKL

SKL

• 1,416 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 04:26

We'll miss him... and Brundle will have one less guy to try to talk to on the grid...

One of a kind.

#39 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,181 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 04:38

I was gonna say farewell to him, but I was taking a s**t...

Advertisement

#40 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,798 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 04:45

You watch enough motorsport, you sometimes see when a driver and car gel. Kimi was at one with the 2005 mclaren, under proper rules with tyre changes he may well have won the championship.

On his day, very, very fast but above all, he was clean, left space etc.

Never understood the fascination with his personality, just never got the whole kimi is cool thing but each to his own.

#41 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 3,562 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 04:58

I will always remember him for his drives at Spa. 

And the youtube videos of him are hilarious!

Farewell, Kimi!

Hear, hear!

One of my fav pole laps.  Spa 2007 with Martin Brundle poetically narrating us through the lap. I've used this video in corporate presentations to introduce people to F1 in the past. Remember and enjoy!

#42 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,798 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 05:12

Thats a hell of a lap.

#43 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 3,562 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 05:16

Thats a hell of a lap.

I've never been a huge fan as I think he is a bit of a wasted talent but on his day...WOW!!  That lap is GOLD!!

#44 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,181 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 05:25

He was only a combined 23 points away from being 3 x WDC by the end of his sixth F1 season, let that sink in

#45 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,328 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 06:07

I’m a McLaren fan and grateful for those years watching him in the silver cars. I recall so well the fuss when he joined Sauber too. Proved everyone very wrong.

#46 Okyo

Okyo

• 2,868 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 06:36

The man who chose to show least personality but ironically had the most well known one. 

Thank you Kimi, you're one of the legends in my book. 

#47 mkad

mkad

• 112 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 07:03

Does someone have combined stats of the Räikkönen’s F1 career? Wins, poles, podiums, points etc.

#48 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,481 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 07:50

Forix probably does. :cool:

#49 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,399 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 08:03

I was in Melbourne in 2013 to watch Kimi's last win... or so I thought for many years. Glad he finally got another one for Ferrari.

A man of contradictions really. Seemed to never really care about F1 and yet has the most race starts of anyone.

One of the cleanest and most decent racers around. I had stopped watching F1 when he joined the sport and only managed to start watching again in 2007 so I missed the McLaren years. Looked incredible at times and very average at others. Not sure if that inconsistency came because he'd won a title and was content or if that was just him.

#50 dannyricsshoe

dannyricsshoe

• 332 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 08:17

One of my favorite drivers who probably could have achieved even more if he was a talker. He won the championship yet somehow ended to paying second fiddle to other drivers who also didn't achieve anything despite teams rating them better.

I hope he's still involved in the sport. I've always thought he could have a no nonsense role like Lauda did in his later years. Someone who doesn't need to say much to give someone the motivation and a kick to the ass.

More and more personalities are leaving the sport at they get older and it just keeps getting more and more bland with age. It's about time we saw some younger kimi like racers in the sport.

Thanks for the memories Kimi and please come back out of retirement soon!!