* - - - - 1 votes

Could Mercedes walk?

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#1 TheMessiah

TheMessiah

• 338 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:01

What are peoples thoughts on the possibility of Mercedes now withdrawing from F1 and walking away? Maybe selling up to Ineos.

After yesterday and the way it was handled I am not so sure they will want to be part of such a sport. Do they even need F1 anymore.

Advertisement

#2 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:03

I seriously think they should after what they have achieved and the race fixing done just to give the win to someone else.

#3 AnR

AnR

• 1,578 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:07

off course they can, noone forces them to take part, if they all start behave and whine as much as yesterday perhaps a wise decision to make

#4 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,723 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:07

I don't think Mercedes could walk because they are bruised.

#5 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,751 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:09

Maybe they will be focused on getting the "right" results in DTM even more.

Have you seen the last race in DTM? No?

On topic : bye.

#6 Anja

Anja

• 10,355 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:09

Good riddance if you ask me. 

#7 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 537 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:18

I do think there is now an element of brinksmanship going on.  If Mercedes walk the sport collapses and they know it.  We have to remember Mercedes supply parts and engines to Aston and Williams, they would likely both collapse if Mercedes walked and took their ball away.  Equally McLaren would be royally screwed and they are a bit on edge as it is.  With 7 teams and 2 +1 engines the wheels of the sport would come off.  Now, will they go, probably not. But they will demand reassurances from Liberty and their power base will likely increase because of this...

#8 player1s

player1s

• 651 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:19

I dont think Mercedes will walk but I would absolutely not be surprised if Toto suddenly gets a different position away from the track and public in the next few months.

#9 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:19

What are peoples thoughts on the possibility of Mercedes now withdrawing from F1 and walking away? Maybe selling up to Ineos.

After yesterday and the way it was handled I am not so sure they will want to be part of such a sport. Do they even need F1 anymore.

They'll be here for some time yet, just like the posters saying they are done with F1 will be here when the lights go out in the first race back.

Edited by goldenboy, 13 December 2021 - 09:20.

#10 macjim

macjim

• 152 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:20

Unlikely they'll walk, too many penalties and looks like they'd be sore losers.

So much better to come back and beat them fair and square

#11 Spyker

Spyker

• 1,109 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:21

I do think there is now an element of brinksmanship going on.  If Mercedes walk the sport collapses and they know it.  We have to remember Mercedes supply parts and engines to Aston and Williams, they would likely both collapse if Mercedes walked and took their ball away.  Equally McLaren would be royally screwed and they are a bit on edge as it is.  With 7 teams and 2 +1 engines the wheels of the sport would come off.  Now, will they go, probably not. But they will demand reassurances from Liberty and their power base will likely increase because of this...

And with most car manufacturers focusing on more current technologies F1 really wouldn't have much appeal.

It's only real appeal now is that it's the 'pinnacle of motorsport'. But if this entertainment first philosophy continues then that will surely change.

#12 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,923 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:21

No, because they're going to come back stronger with a fully amped up Lewis Hamilton and win his 8th WDC.

Edited by ForzaGTR, 13 December 2021 - 09:26.

#13 oli4

oli4

• 572 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:22

I seriously think they should after what they have achieved and the race fixing done just to give the win to someone else.

OMG, race fixing. Get over it, justice has been served over all the shenanigans Mercedes did this season. You really are terrible losers. The best man won the WDC, the best team won the WCC.

#14 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:22

They are still WCC but don't seem happy about that. And if you lose for the first time in the hybrid era and then throw your toys out of the pram? Then good riddance. F1 will survive. McLaren and Williams could use Renault and AM could use RB engines. All teams with 3 engines. Andretti buys the Merc operation and flips a coin for engines. ;)

#15 prty

prty

• 8,439 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:25

Mercedes first made an V6 engine and then the rules were written to use that engine:

https://www.motorspo...it-more/517030/

then they willingly sandbagged during the hybrid era so that their ridiculous advantage was not clear, while engines are frozen and nobody could catch up:

https://www.racefans...e-in-idle-mode/

Got a secret tyre test, so they had crucial early information about the tyres that no other competitor got:

https://www.reuters....E95K0JL20130621

For me, they can walk away, it is no problem :lol:

#16 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,923 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:27

Mercedes first made an V6 engine and then the rules were written to use that engine:

https://www.motorspo...it-more/517030/
then they willingly sandbagged during the hybrid era so that their ridiculous advantage was not clear, while engines are frozen and nobody could catch up:

https://www.racefans...e-in-idle-mode/

Got a secret tyre test, so they had crucial early information about the tyres that no other competitor got:

https://www.reuters....E95K0JL20130621

For me, they can walk away, it is no problem :lol:

Copy and paste zzzzz

#17 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:29

And if you lose for the first time in the hybrid era and then throw your toys out of the pram?

When it's stolen that's probably a fair enough reaction. Should never have gone to the last race level on points anyway, Verstappen should have been thrown out of the previous race.

#18 Widefoot2

Widefoot2

• 2,321 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:29

Don't let the door hit cha' were the diffuser split cha'...

#19 prty

prty

• 8,439 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:30

Copy and paste zzzzz

To be fair, this thread's question is the same question I replied to with that before, so not my fault :lol:

Advertisement

#20 DW46

DW46

• 1,861 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:32

I think they should. No issues with the Concorde agreement as they could simply argue that the regulations they all agreed to haven’t been followed.

They should turn their attention to Indycar and WEC and win the Triple Crown with Lewis and George. Cynically it’s a great opportunity if they have any doubts about their competitiveness next season.

They won’t I suspect as F1 is great for marketing but I have always suspected Merc weren’t here for the long term due to the changing world of cars from ICE to Electric.

#21 PitViperRacing

PitViperRacing

• 965 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:32

Lol Mercedes have had the best run of it regulation/FIA support wise for the past 6-7 years; including 2021

To throw the toys out of the cot over one decision they don't like would be pathetic.

#22 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:33

When it's stolen that's probably a fair enough reaction. Should never have gone to the last race level on points anyway, Verstappen should have been thrown out of the previous race.

Level on points was exactly what was needed. Given Lewis had more luck throughout the year and Max should have been leading the championship ahead of Saudi if not for the unfortunate tyre failure in Baku, I'd say it was even stevens arriving in Abu Dhabi.

The better driver won the title and the better car won the WCC. The race pace advantage Mercedes had since Brazil was astonishing.

#23 Dhillon

Dhillon

• 929 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:33

Mercedes walk and all their talent hired by rivals including the drivers. Maybe opening the door for a new group like GM, VW etc.
F1 show goes on.

#24 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:34

If it had righteous stewarding, Verstappen would have already been champion by then, so that event would have never happened. Also, due to Lewis breaking the rules first at the restart, you could say that set all later events in motion.

#25 Rediscoveryx

Rediscoveryx

• 3,427 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:36

These decisions aren't just made based on emotions. From a marketing perspective it's not even necessarily that bad for Mercedes to be perceived as the innocent victim of a cynical crime. They'd be able to market the 2022 season as "time for revenge" (or whatever the equivalent phrase in German might be) etc.

#26 Anja

Anja

• 10,355 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:38

They won’t I suspect as F1 is great for marketing but I have always suspected Merc weren’t here for the long term due to the changing world of cars from ICE to Electric.

And that's why they're leaving Formula E? 

#27 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:39

and the better car won the WCC

Across the season... no way. I don't agree. And nor does Adrian Newey.

#28 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:41

If it had righteous stewarding, Verstappen would have already been champion by then, so that event would have never happened. Also, due to Lewis breaking the rules first at the restart, you could say that set all later events in motion.

Wow lol

Condoning dirty driving. Can't say I'm surprised. Verstappen has simply replaced Schumacher right? Like for like.

#29 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:43

Across the season... no way. I don't agree. And nor does Adrian Newey.

Until Brazil, maybe, but that's not where the season ended.

#30 RekF1

RekF1

• 2,214 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:44

I don't think Mercedes could walk because they are bruised.

They can still hobble. But I agree that they were ****ed by the FIA last night.

#31 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:46

But it was where over 80% of the season had ended.

#32 Auzz

Auzz

• 438 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:46

Never make a decision while being so emotional. But if they would, bye then. What a fall from grace this season was for MB. It would be de icing on the cake if they would leave being this livid. 

#33 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:47

It's their only way to politely get some recourse against the FIA and F1 for taking a title from them without dragging the highly respected Mercedes brand down into the mud that the FIA and F1 are wallowing in.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 13 December 2021 - 09:47.

#34 grunf77

grunf77

• 509 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:48

Why walk when you can run.

They only took 8 WCC and 7 WDC  in  a row in hybrid era.

Edited by grunf77, 13 December 2021 - 09:50.

#35 flyboym3

flyboym3

• 2,040 posts

No because that's exactly what their rivals want.

They should double down and come back stronger.

#36 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

But it was where over 80% of the season had ended.

The general consensus and based on data in the vs. thread which you can read, Red Bull were faster in the first half, Mercedes in the second half and since Brazil it's been Mercedes all the way (on race pace).

#37 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Could they? Well obviously any team could...in theory. But I don't see them throwing their toys out of the pram. They've invested a lot in the 2022 car and presumably still feel that success in F1 is good for their image and car sales.  And if Merc pulled out, where would that leave Aston, Williams and McLaren....who have contracts expecting not just power units but technical support and in some cases other parts. 

So no....I doubt they will walk. But they might make rumblings about how long their commitment to the sport lasts. 

#38 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,639 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:49

I dont think they will walk this summer, but from their perspective, once a sport becomes influenced by decision making to enhance the show and including manipulating race results, they may decide they dont want to be part of that.

I think some people have seriously misunderstood just how bad Masi's actions were for the sport, the integrity of the sport is in question at the moment.  In my opinion this is the most critical moment for F1 since I started following in the mid 1990s.

Edited by chrcol, 13 December 2021 - 09:49.

#39 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:52

I hope they do. They ruined F1. They are way too good for all the other teams. If they do though, it's not going to be because of yesterday, that's a pretty childish layman's thought.

Edited by Szoelloe, 13 December 2021 - 09:52.

Advertisement

#40 RekF1

RekF1

• 2,214 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:53

Also not where the season started.

#41 w00dy

w00dy

• 1,306 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:54

Maybe they will walk, but for different reasons Team personnel's actions are hurting their brand. They already reduced their stake in the team, could see this accelerating.

#42 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:57

Wow lol

Condoning dirty driving. Can't say I'm surprised. Verstappen has simply replaced Schumacher right? Like for like.

Apparently, two wrongs do make a right. 

We're seeing that both in those who justify their driver driving dirty because of perceived slights earlier in the season, and those who see the failure of the race director to follow procedures as somehow payback for a perceived injustice at Silverstone.

In both cases, if there has been an injustice, the correct course of action is not to later randomly "punish the other guy"...but to alter the procedures, race direction rules and stewarding to ensure it doesn't happen again.

#43 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:58

I’ve never liked the way manufacturers enter motorsport with the air of it being their right to be winning all the time, and then they leave at the drop of a hat, usually when they can’t win everything anymore.

So I wouldn’t miss them owning the Brackley team. But, I wouldn’t want them to leave without securing the future of the team first. BMW nearly killed Sauber by pulling out without doing that.

F1 is already thin on the ground for car count. Losing two cars because a manufacturer is throwing a strop wouldn’t be good.

#44 OneAndOnly

OneAndOnly

• 1,412 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 10:01

I think they should. No issues with the Concorde agreement as they could simply argue that the regulations they all agreed to haven’t been followed.

They should turn their attention to Indycar and WEC and win the Triple Crown with Lewis and George. Cynically it’s a great opportunity if they have any doubts about their competitiveness next season.

Yeah the lifelong dream of LH to win WEC and Indycar. That's why he got into F1 in the first place. If you think LH wouldn't jump the ship if Mercedes walks the sport then you need reality check. 

#45 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 10:01

I’ve never liked the way manufacturers enter motorsport with the air of it being their right to be winning all the time, and then they leave at the drop of a hat, usually when they can’t win everything anymore.

So I wouldn’t miss them owning the Brackley team. But, I wouldn’t want them to leave without securing the future of the team first. BMW nearly killed Sauber by pulling out without doing that.

F1 is already thin on the ground for car count. Losing two cars because a manufacturer is throwing a strop wouldn’t be good.

I never liked the way people deliberately misrepresent reality either.

Mercedes weren't beaten on performance yesterday. This is not a case of them not being able to win.

The result was manufactured and stolen from them by a violation of the sporting rules everyone signed up for.

If you have no trust in the regulator anymore, why bother playing?

#46 DW46

DW46

• 1,861 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 10:03

And that's why they're leaving Formula E?

There’s a Mercedes to leave F1 thread here nearly every season, they literally showed ads about Mercedes approach to sustainability yesterday. They were never gonna leave whilst they were winning it if they know there car isn’t competitive for 22 this is great cover for quitting whilst ahead.

It’s not an especially controversial opinion just my view.

#47 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Could they? Well obviously any team could...in theory. But I don't see them throwing their toys out of the pram. They've invested a lot in the 2022 car and presumably still feel that success in F1 is good for their image and car sales.  And if Merc pulled out, where would that leave Aston, Williams and McLaren....who have contracts expecting not just power units but technical support and in some cases other parts.

Daddy Stroll will just buy Brixworth... Problem solved

#48 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,459 posts

i don;t think they will be missed. 

#49 labarte

labarte

• 200 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 10:05

Merc should definitely stay in the sport if they win their appeal and Lewis is champ.

If they don't win their appeal, they should only consider staying in the sport if Masi is fired. 

If neither of these things happen they should walk.

#50 TradeMark

TradeMark

• 689 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 10:05

I think this is too optimistic but one can always hope. I think on the longer term F1 would be much better off without Mercedes and especially Wolff.

We would go back to having red bull, Ferrari and McLaren as the top teams like 2010-2012 with great racing and real sportsmanship.