Photo
- - - - -

F1: The Movie - Coming to a theatre near you!

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#1 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,942 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 21:26

https://www.motorspo...milton/7089359/

Funded by Apple - Jerry Bruckheimer to produce and Kruger to direct.

I hope Hamilton plays Senna, I’d pay good money to watch that.

Edited by FirstnameLastname, 05 January 2022 - 21:26.

Advertisement

#2 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,359 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 21:27

As I said, unless there's Nick Cage, don't count me in.

#3 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 21:31

"It is understood that Pitt will play a veteran racing star who comes out of retirement to mentor a young driver, while taking his own last chance at on-track glory."

LOL, if you'd ask 100 random people for an idea about a racing movie story line, 99 of them would come up with the above  :drunk:

#4 boomn

boomn

• 1,218 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 21:35

"It is understood that Pitt will play a veteran racing star who comes out of retirement to mentor a young driver, while taking his own last chance at on-track glory."

LOL, if you'd ask 100 random people for an idea about a racing movie story line, 99 of them would come up with the above  :drunk:

Are we getting "Driven 2: More Driven"!!

#5 SpatialTech

SpatialTech

• 511 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 21:36

I saw rumours he was being touted for that role.

#6 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 21:40

I hope they put it in the Colin Chapman era, a time when a teams innovations and tricks could be understood by humans.

#7 Secretariat

Secretariat

• 891 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 21:41

Isn't this also the premise of the F1 video game?

#8 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 22:00

Or Driven 2 : More Drivel !

#9 mcjohnson

mcjohnson

• 1,496 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 22:05

Christian Horner to be played by Benedict Cumberbatch; Adrian Newey by Ed Harris, or Mark Strong….

Edited by mcjohnson, 05 January 2022 - 22:08.

#10 danmills

danmills

• 3,177 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 22:31

Flagged a few weeks back! So Apple got the gig, very interesting. Wonder if that spurs any current steaming interests. 

https://forums.autos...3&hl=+f1 +movie

Edited by danmills, 05 January 2022 - 22:33.

#11 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,273 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 22:48

Nice recall DannyMills !!
Jp

#12 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,857 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 23:46

It does rather sound like a remake of Driven.

Surely it's better to make a movie about real events in F1 history or a driver biopic.

Or if they want to be more specific, I always thought the 1933 Tripoli GP would make a smashing film.

#13 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,359 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 23:53

Surely it's better to make a movie about real events in F1 history or a driver biopic.

Or if they want to be more specific, I always thought the 1933 Tripoli GP would make a smashing film.

No doubt - and there're more than enough possible stories to be told. But I image compared to pulling a random hollywood story out of your *beep*, it's a hell lot of work to properly research, let's say the story of the Villeneuves. 

LOL, if you'd ask 100 random people for an idea about a racing movie story line, 99 of them would come up with the above   :drunk:

Sounds like a flick of Hülkenberg's comeback in 2024, eh? Begs the question, why downgrade and have that grandpa Pitt impersonate Nico when the real Hülkenberg is available?

Edited by r4mses, 06 January 2022 - 00:00.

#14 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,270 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 00:12

Let's pray they look at Driven and understand what NOT to do

#15 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,712 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 00:33

It does make me wonder what they will do for cars. Current machines just aren't very movie friendly with the halos and boring sound. I'd bet they dress up some V8-era cars from 2010-2013 and set the movie in an alternate reality where those machines are current-day rather than rounding up a bunch of historic cars and setting the film in some historical era. 

#16 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,239 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 00:48

Already mentioned above me, but the only thing worse than the sequel reboot is the remake reboot!

#17 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,827 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 04:00

Great. The high rake and onboard starters of today’s cars will make the street chase so much more believable…

#18 Huffer

Huffer

• 3,581 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 09:44

Have the asked Masi to be a writer for this? If they're looking for manufactured, BS, Hollywood drama, he's their go to guy. He has proven experience in the field. 

#19 JustNotFastEnough

JustNotFastEnough

• 252 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 10:28

Given what transpired at Abu-Dhabi, it’s fitting for Hollywood to do a movie, because what took place not only defied logic, it was make believe, with the gullible told the shenanigans we all witnessed was above board.

Why hire a script writer? Just base it on last season manufactured tripe. I almost switched over while watching the Saudi/Jeddah race, after witnessing MOTO X style block passing, dive bombing, and brake testing going unpunished for the Hollywood ending.

No need for a Hollywood film. F1 is already a fantasy and unbelievable. The driver of the day results in Jeddah should in theory be a step too far even for Hollywood, and if you think that was a fantasy, it actually happened. Even while I write this, I’m laughing in tears how anyone but the clueless casual fan could have voted Verstappen driver of the day for that horror show?

Right now, no plot is too outrageous for F1. While we are at it, which current F1 drivers would be classed as MOTO GP aliens? Aliens in F1. That's a good title.

Edited by JustNotFastEnough, 06 January 2022 - 21:31.

Advertisement

#20 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,098 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 10:31

It does make me wonder what they will do for cars. Current machines just aren't very movie friendly with the halos and boring sound. I'd bet they dress up some V8-era cars from 2010-2013 and set the movie in an alternate reality where those machines are current-day rather than rounding up a bunch of historic cars and setting the film in some historical era. 

Don’t worry, engines in these kinds of film tend to change configurations and displacements multiple times per lap.  :lol:

#21 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,723 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 10:53

conair-4-416x416.jpg

#22 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,096 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 11:03

The best fiction creates drama from interaction between characters, the subtle insight of the scriptwriters creating surprises. The worst fiction starts by taking something already dramatic and exaggerating the drama. People who don't like motor racing will avoid it. People who do like motor racing will be obsessed with the inaccuracies. Not that I'd prejudge anything...

#23 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 13:06

Don’t worry, engines in these kinds of film tend to change configurations and displacements multiple times per lap.  :lol:

Plus having infinite gears through which to change.

#24 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,098 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 13:09

Remember, you can go faster than your rival on a straight if you just press the accelerator harder!

Edited by IrvTheSwerve, 06 January 2022 - 13:10.

#25 wingnuts

wingnuts

• 39 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 13:13

...and they can always overtake that baddie by pushing the accelerator all the way to the floor!

edit: Damn Irv. We must watch the same crappy movies.

Edited by wingnuts, 06 January 2022 - 13:14.

#26 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 13:17

With the modern steering wheels all you'd need is a Magic Button that the team boss/engineer tells the hero never to use under any circumstances yet...

#27 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 14:33

...and they can always overtake that baddie by pushing the accelerator all the way to the floor!

edit: Damn Irv. We must watch the same crappy movies.

TBF, even Le Mans (best motor racing feature film ever) had an element of that in the final duel sequences.

#28 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,603 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 15:07

Maybe the world is now ready for Driven!

:stoned:  :smoking:

#29 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,603 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 15:10

Well if we are going to toss the film we may as well have Adam Sandler play Ron Dennis, David Spade for Frank Williams and Rob Schneider as Senna.

#30 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,942 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 15:40

conair-4-416x416.jpg

Is that him running away from Jos in the Benetton?

#31 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 15:43

With the modern steering wheels all you'd need is a Magic Button that the team boss/engineer tells the hero never to use under any circumstances yet...

That was what happened to Lewis at Baku last year, right?

#32 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,659 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 15:46

As a documentary, yes. The Hollywood treatment of a "true" story? No thanks, they always mess it up with poetic licence.

A movie version of Tripoli 1933 would be guaranteed to be the mythical version rather than the slightly less interesting truth.

#33 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,127 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 15:46

That's basically "DRIVEN" (2001)  :lol: 

One of my all time guilty pleasures movies. 

Anyway.

Brad Pitt is a motorsport enthusiast.
Loved his MotoGP documentary "Hitting The Apex".

The guy knows racing, knows acting and how the industry works

I expect something really good.  :up:

Edited by thegamer23, 06 January 2022 - 15:48.

#34 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,942 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 15:47

Oh ****. I just got the plot…

Cage is sent back in time by 7xWDC Hamilton who withdraws from public life after the 2021 season finale. Nobody hears from him and he retreats to a skull shaped island to come up with his next move.

He engineers a Delorean to go ‘Back to the future’ where Cage attempts to thwart Max’s 2021 championship by destroying Jos so that Max is never born.

Cage is successful and kills Jos at the 1994 German Grand Prix by ensuring he is trapped in the pitlane fireball… but at the end there is a huge twist… Michael Schumacher ends up bedding Max’s mum whilst comforting her over the loss of Jos… this inadvertadly means that instead of Jos’s DNA, it’s now Schumachers DNA and it’s Max Schumacher who is born in 1995 and not 1997… meaning he arrives in F1 a few years earlier and crushes Hamilton… meaning Lewis is only a 4xWDC and the Schumacher family is filled with Michael and Max as the true GOATS.

Edited by FirstnameLastname, 06 January 2022 - 15:48.

#35 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 15:48

Most likely.

Funny actually. The directors of Driven were making it an F1 movie. But F1 was too expensive for the shoot. So they used CART. And CART wanted it to be a CART movie.

They should make a real F1 movie. About Schumachers 2004 championship. Getting pissed up and crashing a forklift through a wall.

Edited by YamahaV10, 06 January 2022 - 15:51.

#36 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 15:49

Driven was loosely based on Senna running out of his car to help a crashed car i thought.

#37 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 15:58

That's basically "DRIVEN" (2001) :lol:

One of my all time guilty pleasures movies.

I expect something really good. :up:

CART car with no paddle shift yet.

A racing movie could work. Just get the someone in the industry to direct it. Get Flavio Briatore to direct the whole thing.

#38 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 17:15

Anyway.

Brad Pitt is a motorsport enthusiast.
Loved his MotoGP documentary "Hitting The Apex".

The guy knows racing, knows acting and how the industry works

I expect something really good.  :up:

"His" documentary was Mark Neale's, to go with his other well received documentaries. And they used real footage and interviews and people and etc. 

I'm not sure we know that Pitt 'knows' racing other than that he's a fan of it and that's a wide spectrum of knowledge. 

I expect something Very Hollywood. 

#39 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 17:22

I bet they 'transform' the DRS concept by turning it into a nitro boost  :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#40 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,307 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 17:24

BRad Pitt is far too good looking to play a racing driver. He's also roughly 20 years too old even to play a veteran racing driver.

Whatver. There is very little chance that it'll be as good as this piece of cinematic genius:

I'd forgotten just how weird that was until just now.

#41 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,098 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 17:55

BRad Pitt is far too good looking to play a racing driver. He's also roughly 20 years too old even to play a veteran racing driver.

Whatver. There is very little chance that it'll be as good as this piece of cinematic genius:

That’s what would have happened if Lewis showed up at the FIA gala.

#42 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,857 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 18:00

The best fiction creates drama from interaction between characters, the subtle insight of the scriptwriters creating surprises. The worst fiction starts by taking something already dramatic and exaggerating the drama. People who don't like motor racing will avoid it. People who do like motor racing will be obsessed with the inaccuracies. Not that I'd prejudge anything...

I'm sure many people not into motor racing will watch it - hence why Drive To Survive brought in so many new fans.

There's plenty of sports I have no interest in but I happily watch a good film about them.

#43 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,127 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 18:31

"His" documentary was Mark Neale's, to go with his other well received documentaries. And they used real footage and interviews and people and etc. 

I'm not sure we know that Pitt 'knows' racing other than that he's a fan of it and that's a wide spectrum of knowledge. 

I expect something Very Hollywood. 

We already have Drive to Survive for that

#44 bananaSpanner

bananaSpanner

• 833 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 18:38

Hamilton is going to play Max from the 2021 season 😁

#45 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 18:46

Well if we are going to toss the film we may as well have Adam Sandler play Ron Dennis, David Spade for Frank Williams and Rob Schneider as Senna.

It will need to have all the standard Hollywood tropes.

A lesbian sex-scene - probably taking place in race control.

A sudden volcanic eruption, or a tsunami, or a mega tornado, or a mutant shark attack in Monaco harbour...or all four.

#46 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 19:03

I hope they put it in the Colin Chapman era, a time when a teams innovations and tricks could be understood by humans.

Let's pray they look at Driven and understand what NOT to do

Addressing all these:

Driven was originally going to be an F1 movie. Sylvester Stallone visited several grands prix around the turn of the century with the intention of making a Hollywood film based on F1....he even described his character as "A Mario Andretti type, who comes out of retirement"......Bernie seemed enthusiastic for a while but as it became clear that his script was wholly risible, the chance to use the F1 trademarks disappeared as did any chance of cooperation from any F1 teams or drivers. So he turned to CART, who needed exposure at the time....and thus Driven was born......oh dear.....

I feel sure this movie will be in part intended to bring F1 to a new audience. If they're actually making a movie where they have a license to use the name "Formula 1" it's going to feature cars that look like today's, with halos and they'll make a thing about the hybrid PU's....but there will be artistic license....I bet the Hollywood cars sound better! 

No point setting it in the distant past or an alternative universe if they're going to actually be an "official" F1 movie. The Autosport article seems to suggest a bidding war over a movie officially approved by F1. So it's not going to be set in 1965 or some other dimension of space-time. 

Best we can hope for is a 2020's version of Grand Prix. Which wasn't bad for 1966. 

#47 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,857 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 00:41

Addressing all these:
Driven was originally going to be an F1 movie. Sylvester Stallone visited several grands prix around the turn of the century with the intention of making a Hollywood film based on F1....he even described his character as "A Mario Andretti type, who comes out of retirement"......Bernie seemed enthusiastic for a while but as it became clear that his script was wholly risible, the chance to use the F1 trademarks disappeared as did any chance of cooperation from any F1 teams or drivers. So he turned to CART, who needed exposure at the time....and thus Driven was born......oh dear.....

Indeed, it was pretty obvious that Beau Brandenburg was based on Michael Schumacher, Jimmy Bly on Jenson Button, and the Burt Reynolds character on Frank Williams.

#48 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 00:57

That is literally how Netflix will portray the last lap in Abu Dhabi. 

#49 wingnuts

wingnuts

• 39 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 04:05

So many noteworthy highlights from that clip but Stallone casually wiping the sparks from his eyes is next level realism for me. This movie must have surely cleaned up at the Oscars :clap:

We can only hope that Apple and Jerry Bruckheimer are up to the challenge of matching this masterpiece :smoking:

#50 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 04:27

Addressing all these:

I feel sure this movie will be in part intended to bring F1 to a new audience. If they're actually making a movie where they have a license to use the name "Formula 1" it's going to feature cars that look like today's, with halos and they'll make a thing about the hybrid PU's....but there will be artistic license....I bet the Hollywood cars sound better! 

No point setting it in the distant past or an alternative universe if they're going to actually be an "official" F1 movie. The Autosport article seems to suggest a bidding war over a movie officially approved by F1. So it's not going to be set in 1965 or some other dimension of space-time. 

Best we can hope for is a 2020's version of Grand Prix. Which wasn't bad for 1966. 

Liberty Media is high on its success with DTS now. They might not vet a movie as close as they should. It could very well be as bad as Driven. :) It could be worse than Driven. I really hope its not

Edited by YamahaV10, 07 January 2022 - 04:28.