* * * * * 1 votes

Indycar 2022 - Texas XPEL 375; it's an oval

• Please log in to reply
643 replies to this topic

#1 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 15 March 2022 - 22:54

Welcome one and all, dear forum enthusiasts, rookies and lurkers alike, to the second round of the 2022 Indycar Series season and the first race on an oval - the XPEL 375 at Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth.

indycar-texas-060619-getty-ftrjpg_1lq7e1
*oh look, actual people*

What is Texas Motor Speedway ?

It's the racing circuit in shape of a somewhat chubby oval that we are going to unleash some ~25 screaming Indycars on for a more than probable strategic race, rather than fun race.

In Racing lore, Texas Motor Speedway is not liked by racers and enthusiasts. Not even liked by the locals. It tried to be something else yet it didn't manage it. How is TMS on the now unfortunately shortened oval schedule while other more loved oval tracks is still a mystery for both Indycar AND Nascar enthusiasts.

Yes, Nascar people don't really like this place too. Can you believe it? Series cross-pollination of understanding and sense of worth. Whoa.

Hopefully we won't have those nightmare ahm, I forgot the name of 'em as my subconscious is desperately trying to forget their existence - you know those silly rubber lanes ugh bleah whatever.

But you know what - let's end this 'intro' on a good note - it's Indycar, on an oval - if that's not exciting enough for you, I honestly don't know what is.

Speaking of exciting...

What are the current standings ?

Imagine yourself back in 2018. Logano was still championship-less, Vettel was starting to learn the fine art of doing donuts in a Ferrari, Alonso was daydreaming of a place in France, Dovizioso was hyped and still relevant, World Rallycross was still incredible fun and Dixon was preparing yet another triumphant ritual of Fuel Druidry.

Think back to that year, loooooooong ago. And imagine yourself, glancing a quick look into the future in Indycar to see this happening 4 years later:

jzvEYmM.jpg
*ok lol*

Yeah, Touring Car Champions are now winning Indycar races in front of Super Formula drivers.

Imagine that - it's real cool.

Here's some videos to help you remember things from the far ago age of nearly three weeks ago:

And from the great Indycar creators community:

And here's an ancient Antediluvian Sumerian deity stocking the hype before the season opener:

I didn't know what to listen to in the background last night as I was working so somehow I went on Twitch and saw this live:

Top.

Yeah, Scott McLaughlin is an Indycar race winner and with that being the season opener, leads the charge going forward from last year's sublime champ Alex Palou.

So here's the points standings going forward:

bcqvA9q.jpg
*lol, I still don't know how to calculate these or what do they mean*

Some drivers that need a good race:

Josef Newgarden - another sh** start, two years in a row.
Simon Pagenaud - pace was there, luck wasn't.
Alexander Rossi - good God, dude, you need a break.
Pato O'ward - last year's winner.
Felix Rosenqvist - more average than tap water.
Dalton Kellett - always in need of a better race.

We also have THREE new*ish entries to look forward to curse by adding them to your Fantasy Team:

#48 Chip Ganassi Racing Honda - Jimmie Johnson

He was there in the opener too with a strong 23rd place but I added him here because this is the 7time Cup Champ's FIRST OVAL RACE WOOOOOOO!!!!1

jimmie-johnson-chip-ganassi-ra.jpg
*suck it anti-Nascar nerds*

#11 AJ Foyt Enterprises Chevy - JR Hildebrand. JR is BACK, helping the team in their oval endeavors. I don't know about you but I always love rooting for him. That's a 'good' car, something CAN happen.

404304_18325f04e1784ab49bce08edb6798c6f~

And completing the master number duo it's #33 Ed Carpenter Racing Chevy of 'Special Ed' Ed Carpenter. Ed's here and this is an oval. You do the math.

dG1BMp2.jpg

Cool.

Track Layout:

Vc8WYyI.jpg
*ha, I'd wish*

Schedule Details:

QNmyDzo.jpg

EUROPE PEOPLE BE ADVISED

Daylight time switch has already happened, so please be aware that we are somehow one hour closer to the US times ( +4 hours for the UK )

Meaning that when the checkered flag drops at Bahrain, SWITCH QUICKLY TO INDYCAR OR MAYBE SKY SPORTS F1 WILL DO THAT AS INDYCAR GOES GREEN RIGHT AFTER F1 GOES ZZZZZZZ

What a fantastic weekend of Racing! 

Especially in the States, WEC at Sebring, IMSA Twelve Hours of Sebring, Supercross at Indianapolis and ugh Nascar Cup at Atlanta alongside F1, Indycar AND MotoGP ?!

ayayaayayayaya

1_Fernando-Alonsos-reaction-to-Max-Verst

Ok, one more thing left to go before I close this off -

Tarot and Astrology:

It'll be brief.

There's A LOT in Pisces - Sun, Neptune, Jupiter AND Mercury BUT the race will start literally around the time of the Spring Equinox as it culminates sooooo the energy will change to a more Fire / Air emphasis than Water / Earth.

Meaning, maybe Will Power will start strong and then end up 37th or something. I think Palou, Herta, Grosjean, McLaughlin, Sato, maybe even Rosenqvist to be favored by fate. Maybe wager on Rossi and Special Ed for something risky yet rewarding.

I don't know man, I do this but predicting sports events ain't my jam.

Your Tarot cards for your doomed Indycar Fantasy team are:

A - The High Priestess

U7lxqFu.jpg

Someone's doing a stealth strategy, and look, there they are, at the end. 

B - 9 ov Swords

68fdc996d6629b63150bc7cc8ba9b706.jpg

Martian Gemini energy - looks like Scotty Mac.

C - Wheel ov Fortune

5ba59a5369e917c5fdb2c48143c01f34.jpg

Power ?!

D - King ov Penacles

523eb32818c5496e2be9e2fa7087838f.jpg

Some strong af Earth energy - Newgarden, Rahal, O'ward, Pagenaud, Rossi, Johnson.

And with that, I am complete.

Thank you for allowing me to take a nice break from work and have some fun writing this.

Enjoy and see you on this sacred Spring Equinox, Sunday - Indyblessings

373.jpg

Advertisement

#2 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 15 March 2022 - 23:00

PS, because the OP post doesn't allow me to edit it making it officially pseudo-cursed, I have to also hype up the Aussie Supercars series in a Indycar thread as this is a rare chance that I cannot let pass by, so here's your new Indycar darling, darlings:

#3 FLB

FLB

• 29,881 posts

Posted 15 March 2022 - 23:06

Welcome one and all, dear forum enthusiasts, rookies and lurkers alike, to the second round of the 2022 Indycar Series season and the first race on an oval - the XPEL 375 at Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth.

Tarot and Astrology:

It'll be brief.

There's A LOT in Pisces - Sun, Neptune, Jupiter AND Mercury BUT the race will start literally around the time of the Spring Equinox as it culminates sooooo the energy will change to a more Fire / Air emphasis than Water / Earth.

Meaning, maybe Will Power will start strong and then end up 37th or something. I think Palou, Herta, Grosjean, McLaughlin, Sato, maybe even Rosenqvist to be favored by fate. Maybe wager on Rossi and Special Ed for something risky yet rewarding.

I don't know man, I do this but predicting sports events ain't my jam.

Your Tarot cards for your doomed Indycar Fantasy team are:

A - The High Priestess

U7lxqFu.jpg

Someone's doing a stealth strategy, and look, there they are, at the end. 

B - 9 ov Swords

68fdc996d6629b63150bc7cc8ba9b706.jpg

Martian Gemini energy - looks like Scotty Mac.

C - Wheel ov Fortune

5ba59a5369e917c5fdb2c48143c01f34.jpg

Power ?!

D - King ov Penacles

523eb32818c5496e2be9e2fa7087838f.jpg

Some strong af Earth energy - Newgarden, Rahal, O'ward, Pagenaud, Rossi, Johnson.

And with that, I am complete.

Thank you for allowing me to take a nice break from work and have some fun writing this.

Enjoy and see you on this sacred Spring Equinox, Sunday - Indyblessings

373.jpg

No idea who, but somebody's going to gamble and win BIG....

#4 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,803 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 00:25

Move over, Colton Herta's hair, here is JR Hildebrand's hair

#5 paulb

paulb

• 11,261 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 00:27

Move over, Colton Herta's hair, here is JR Hildebrand's hair

Maybe JR’s follicles were a muse for Colton’s do.

#6 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 00:30

Maybe JR’s follicles were a muse for Colton’s do.

I know a certain JRH race that you could say influenced one of Colton's races - the Nashville one.

#7 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 03:43

Is the place still slathered in PJ1? The race last year was embarrassing.

Sato had pace to win in 2017. Too impatient. Feel like I say that a lot as a Sato fan.

#8 prommer

prommer

• 4,966 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 05:33

Yeah, the PJ1 lives on in infamy. I'm going to look at it as a "feature" as maybe it will help the umpteen rookies in the field to stay out of trouble.

#9 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 05:49

Hoping it's the last time we race on this PJ1 junkyard. 

#10 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,080 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 06:03

17 races and only 4 on an oval, well actually 5 since there's two at Iowa. For me that's just not enough. I wish we had more oval races in IndyCar.

#11 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 06:20

Problem is, no one goes to them. 

Milwaukee tried and couldn't get people to go. 

I'd love Michigan and Mil back. 

#12 owenmahamilton

owenmahamilton

• 338 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 06:40

I just checked my Sky TV Guide and the F1 race coverage finishes at 17:00 UK time and the Indycar coverage starts at 22:00 UK time so not straight after the F1 at all.

#13 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,292 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 06:56

I just checked my Sky TV Guide and the F1 race coverage finishes at 17:00 UK time and the Indycar coverage starts at 22:00 UK time so not straight after the F1 at all.

It'll be live on Sky Sports Mix.

#14 Frood

Frood

• 9,296 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 07:13

I feel bad saying it, but I'm looking forward to The Other Series more this weekend, because Texas. Still, love the OP, Ov. :)

Is the place still slathered in PJ1? The race last year was embarrassing.

Sato had pace to win in 2017. Too impatient. Feel like I say that a lot as a Sato fan.

Hello SR, long time no see! :wave: Good to see you back.

#15 owenmahamilton

owenmahamilton

• 338 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 08:17

It'll be live on Sky Sports Mix.

I just checked and you are correct, the listing for Sky F1 at 22:00 makes it sound like it is live at that time.

#16 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 09:11

Hmmm... F1 at 2am, Indycar at 3.40am. Not going to get a lot of sleep next Sunday night me thinks.

Edited by krapmeister, 16 March 2022 - 09:15.

#17 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 10:22

Hmmm... F1 at 2am, Indycar at 3.40am. Not going to get a lot of sleep next Sunday night me thinks.

True Racer.

#18 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,694 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 10:43

I'm working from home these days and set my own schedule, so I might work through Sunday and sleep through Monday and watch both live too... thanks to your PM!

#19 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,119 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 13:11

Nicely done!  

Finally another IndyCar race!  Can't wait!!  :clap:

Advertisement

#20 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,235 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 14:06

Hey, screw you guys! I still like Texas, even with the PJ1. Obviously it was better years ago when Graham Rahal fought off six cars in the final laps to win by 37 femtoseconds or whatever it was, but it’s still the only place other than Indy we get to see the cars running their super speedway kits.

Now, every pass here is worth like 50 passes somewhere else. I’m patient. I may not fall off my chair during the race but if I do it’ll be worth the wait.

#21 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 14:24

Contrarianism.  You should write to the Mailbag!   :cool:

#22 Anja

Anja

• 10,354 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 14:29

Hey, screw you guys! I still like Texas, even with the PJ1. Obviously it was better years ago when Graham Rahal fought off six cars in the final laps to win by 37 femtoseconds or whatever it was, but it’s still the only place other than Indy we get to see the cars running their super speedway kits.

Now, every pass here is worth like 50 passes somewhere else. I’m patient. I may not fall off my chair during the race but if I do it’ll be worth the wait.

I suppose with the race happening a few hours earlier this year, us Europeans will be able to sit back and relax without the risk of falling asleep  :p

#23 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,235 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 14:47

I suppose with the race happening a few hours earlier this year, us Europeans will be able to sit back and relax without the risk of falling asleep  :p

Maybe the new early afternoon timeslot will have the same effect it did at Fontana and the leaders will spend most of the afternoon four wide in front of empty grandstands before the drivers go apeshit at the officials and then we never come here again. I’d be OK with all of this except for the “never come here again” part of course.

#24 loki

loki

• 12,315 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 14:53

I feel bad saying it, but I'm looking forward to The Other Series more this weekend, because Texas. Still, love the OP, Ov. :)

Yeah but Atlanta is pretty worn out too…

:lol:  :stoned:

#25 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 15:02

:lol:  :stoned:

Not anymore it ain't.

kurt_busch_atlanta.jpg

#26 Frood

Frood

• 9,296 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 15:20

:lol: :stoned:

Nah mate, Bahrain. It's the last round of the Porsche Sprint Challenge Middle East! It's down to the wire between Fahad Algosaibi and Morris Schuring!

#27 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 16:15

17 races and only 4 on an oval, well actually 5 since there's two at Iowa. For me that's just not enough. I wish we had more oval races in IndyCar.

If we could get some in the southeast that would be fantastic. Realistically, I don’t know how safe some of the southern ovals would be:

Bristol - lol
Richmond- yes please
Martinsville - no idea
NSS - yes please
Charlotte- yes if safe enough
Atlanta - too much banking?
Talladega - lol
Daytona - lol
Nashville fairgrounds - yes please if it’s not too bumpy
Rockingham- yes please
Kentucky - yes please

I don’t know if any of the above would be worth exploring or if people would come out, but I know I would try to go to one.

#28 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,440 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 17:21

Richmond and Rockingham seem like good ideas.  Atlanta was an original CART track, but is probably Texas 2001 levels of not a good idea.

Putting my old man hat on, I want Milwaukee and Rio back.  And original Phoenix before the NASCAR-friendly changes.

#29 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,555 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 17:43

If we could get some in the southeast that would be fantastic. Realistically, I don’t know how safe some of the southern ovals would be:

Bristol - lol
Richmond- yes please
Martinsville - no idea
NSS - yes please
Charlotte- yes if safe enough
Atlanta - too much banking?
Talladega - lol
Daytona - lol
Nashville fairgrounds - yes please if it’s not too bumpy
Rockingham- yes please
Kentucky - yes please

I don’t know if any of the above would be worth exploring or if people would come out, but I know I would try to go to one.

NSS? Can't work out which one that is supposed to be.

Richmond was supposed to be coming back, wasn't it? Charlotte is basically what Texas was based on, so it should work. Nashville was an old IRL track too, but the street circuit seems to have been successful. North Carolina (Rockingham) could be good. Kentucky definitely worked up to 2011.

Darlington would be another iffy one in that area.

#30 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 17:56

NSS? Can't work out which one that is supposed to be.

Richmond was supposed to be coming back, wasn't it? Charlotte is basically what Texas was based on, so it should work. Nashville was an old IRL track too, but the street circuit seems to have been successful. North Carolina (Rockingham) could be good. Kentucky definitely worked up to 2011.

Darlington would be another iffy one in that area.

NSS is Nashville Super Speedway. I got lazy and abbreviated it like NASCAR does. I went there in 2021 when NASCAR ran it. I LOVED the track itself. Getting in and out was a nightmare. It felt very unique.

Darlington would be interesting. I just think it would be too narrow to make for solid passing. Running side by side is tough for NASCAR, I think it would be deadly for IndyCar.

Anywho, I don’t know what the perfect number of ovals is for IndyCar, but if they added some that I could get to in under 5 hours I would certainly try to go. The proximity of NASCAR tracks near me is why I go to four a year.

#31 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,262 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 17:58

SR388 !!!!
Great to have ya back.
Still in Knoxville?
Jp

#32 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,555 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 18:01

NSS is Nashville Super Speedway. I got lazy and abbreviated it like NASCAR does. I went there in 2021 when NASCAR ran it. I LOVED the track itself. Getting in and out was a nightmare. It felt very unique.

Darlington would be interesting. I just think it would be too narrow to make for solid passing. Running side by side is tough for NASCAR, I think it would be deadly for IndyCar.

Anywho, I don’t know what the perfect number of ovals is for IndyCar, but if they added some that I could get to in under 5 hours I would certainly try to go. The proximity of NASCAR tracks near me is why I go to four a year.

Oh, so that’s not the same as Nashville Fairgrounds (which does’t appear on RacingCircuits.info).

#33 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,080 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 18:34

Problem is, no one goes to them. 

Milwaukee tried and couldn't get people to go. 

I'd love Michigan and Mil back. 

I 'no one' visits IndyCar oval races that can only be caused by poor promotion, poor marketing and just a poor overall job of the people organising it. Not because the product is not good.

#34 search

search

• 786 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 18:34

I see CGR had a very indycar preparation for the race:

“Texas was a wasted day,” defending IndyCar Series champion Alex Palou told SPEED SPORT. “We flew there, and we had some good barbecue, which made the trip better. But we lost a day of testing to get ready for Texas. We thought it was important, but we could not get any laps in because of the cold weather, so we had to come back home.” [...]

In Palou’s case the man who loves to eat fried chicken got a chance to visit the famed “Babe’s Chicken House” in nearby Roanoke, Texas. “We went to Babe’s and had lunch,” said the driver from Spain. “We had chicken with some biscuits and it was insane.”

https://www.speedspo...-indycar-teams/

#35 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,262 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 18:56

Babe’s is pretty fantastic.

https://www.babeschi...un/hokey-pokey/

Jp

#36 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,816 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 18:57

Falling asleep during the Texas race is one of the European Indycar fan's major privileges.

#37 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,816 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 18:59

Richmond has my vote. Red Stick still owes us a civil war tour.

#38 rghojai

rghojai

• 2,010 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 19:01

Essentially oval-shaped Indycat looks forward to racing action -- or napping.T9tEg5i.jpg

#39 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 19:06

I went to the last two MIlwaukee races, they weren't great. 

Decent crowd for low promo(Andretti did a good job but it wasn't like Gateway-level-effort) and 'meh' racing.

Advertisement

#40 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 19:13

Richmond has my vote. Red Stick still owes us a civil war tour.

Last we heard from our Richmond connection, lemnpiper, IndyCar there was dead.

Edited by red stick, 16 March 2022 - 19:17.

#41 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 19:25

I honestly think Kentucky is severely underrated. I wholeheartedly miss it in Cup.

Maybe Loudon, Kentucky, Homestead, Chicagoland ? Some other one from the past that you Indycar specialists remember like Pikes Peak or Nazareth ?

#42 search

search

• 786 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 19:26

Hoping it's the last time we race on this PJ1 junkyard. 

they at least plan to somewhat get rid of it for Sunday already:

RACER has learned that of the possible remedies IndyCar is considering, one is to use to try and drag a steel mesh device over the areas where PJ1 remains in an effort to create consistent amounts of grip on the bottom and second grooves. Another is to try and use a chemical wash to have the same effect.

And the third, which appears to be the most likely option to be implemented, is to create a special period of time during one of the two practice sessions on Saturday for drivers to venture out, build up speed in a measured and progressive manner on the second lane, and use all 27 cars to put down rubber on the upper groove to best match what’s on the bottom.

https://racer.com/20...raction-issues/

#43 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,235 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 19:28

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but why not just coat the whole track in PJ1?

#44 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,816 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 19:42

Why not just coat the tyres in PJ1? Then they'll have grip wherever they go!

#45 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 19:48

My understanding was that the IndyCars don’t put the out heat needed to get the PJ1 activated. Someone call me out if I’m mistaken. So you would have the whole track like ice versus 75% of it.

Heck, even NASCAR drivers ease into running in it over the course of a race.

Edited by SR388, 16 March 2022 - 19:50.

#46 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,555 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 21:07

My understanding was that the IndyCars don’t put the out heat needed to get the PJ1 activated. Someone call me out if I’m mistaken. So you would have the whole track like ice versus 75% of it.

Heck, even NASCAR drivers ease into running in it over the course of a race.

At least there would be similar grip, or lack of it, across the whole track, rather than one grippy line.

#47 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 21:08

One line is better than none.

#48 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 20:24

In these perilous times, all of our eligible drivers are racing this weekend.

Just sayin.'

#49 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,159 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 21:28

Well said, RS. Perilous times indeed.

Edited by GlenWatkins, 17 March 2022 - 21:30.

#50 ANF

ANF

• 29,538 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 21:54

Oh, so it's not a night race this time? Nice.