Formula E Silly Season 2023

• Please log in to reply
366 replies to this topic

#1 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,860 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 07:43

We're heading towards summer. 

The Silly Season for Formula E: a time where most of the deals are made, most of the seats are filled.

This year, Silly Season is going to be even sillier thanks to the withdrawal of Mercedes & the arrival of three new (ish) names: McLaren, Maserati, ABT

We're going to see different partnerships, teams switching powertrain, like Penske going with DS or Envision going with Jaguar's, or Andretti switching to Porsche engines!

it's all very silly, and the drivers choices could be also based on the powertrain.

So who's going to be part of the Gen 3 Campaign? Who's going to be left out?

DS PENSKE |||      STOFFEL VANDOORNE / JEAN ERIC VERGNE  

ENVISION |||    NICK CASSIDY SEBASTIEN BUEMI

JAGUAR |||  MITCH EVANS / SAM BIRD

MAHINDRA ||  OLIVER ROWLAND / ALEXANDER SIMS LUCAS DI GRASSI / ????
MASERATI |||  ANTONIO GIOVINAZZI / EDOARDO MORTARA / LUCAS DI GRASSI
NIO 333 |||  DAN TICKTUM / OLIVER TURVEY ADAM CARROL / ????
MCLAREN || RENE RAST / FELIX ROSENQVIST / SERGIO SETTE CAMARA / OLIVER TURVEY / JAKE DENNIS MAX GUNTHER

ABT MOTORSPORT |||  RENE RAST / LUCAS DI GRASSI / NICO MULLER / ROBIN FRIJNSDANIEL ABT

NISSAN |||  MAX GUNTHER NYCK DE VRIES /  THEO POURCHAIRE

PORSCHE |||  ANTONIO FELIX DA COSTA / PASCAL WEHRLEIN / ??? 
ANDRETTI |||  OLIVER ASKEW / JAKE DENNIS ANDRE LOTTERER DAVID BECKMANN / KYLE KIRKWOOD

TECHEETAH |||  ???? / ????  [TEAM IN DOUBT]

Yellow: Rumored
Green: Confirmed

---------

Registered Manufacturers 
JaguarPorscheDS (Stallantis)Maserati (Stallantis)NissanMahindra and NIO

Customer/Partner Teams 
EnvisionConfirmed supply deal with Jaguar
AndrettiConfirmed supply deal with Porsche
Maserati Confirmed partnership with Venturi (DS hardware)
McLaren: Reported McLaren partnered entry with Nissan powertrains
Dragon: Reported partnership with DS
Team ABT: Reported supply deal with Mahindra
Techeetah: Reported possibility of being a Nissan customer if Stellantis leaves them

Courtesy of Ben1445!   :up:

FSu-HPRk-WQAYAk-Vz.jpg

Edited by thegamer23, 07 June 2022 - 12:52.

Advertisement

#2 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 11,982 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 08:35

I think Nick Cassidy is still under contract with Envision for 2023 - should have been a three season deal and he's currently in his second 

#3 MattK9

MattK9

• 808 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 09:15

Thats a lot of names in yellow!

I cant see N d Vries on the list. Surely the old Merc/new Mclaren team will be discussing retaining his services for some continuity?

Are Techeetah even going to be on the grid next year?

A very silly season ahead. Its good that this is split out from the Gen 3 thread as that thread was becoming more about the driver silly season than the actual specs and development of the Gen 3 cars.

#4 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,860 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 13:58

According to the german media, Di Grassi is heading to Mahindra next season!

https://e-formel.de/...ndra-45497.html

#5 FLB

FLB

• 29,440 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 14:17

And I saw a rumour on The Race (I think) that Rast may be coming back somewhere?

#6 Junky

Junky

• 810 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 15:01

Antonio Felix da Costa is going to Porsche for 2023.

#7 Kev00

Kev00

• 4,656 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 15:32

And I saw a rumour on The Race (I think) that Rast may be coming back somewhere?

McLaren supposedly. Shame for him that the Audi have binned their LMDh car but it would be great to see him back in Formula E

#8 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 16:52

I think Nick Cassidy is still under contract with Envision for 2023 - should have been a three season deal and he's currently in his second 

That is the only way he might hang on to a seat.  He has been such a disappointment.  I thought he was a real prospect, but he has turned out a bit of a dud.

Giovanazzi and Ticktum also need to go as they are showing nothing. Hope Rast can return.

#9 RSRally

RSRally

• 1,975 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 18:31

That is the only way he might hang on to a seat. He has been such a disappointment. I thought he was a real prospect, but he has turned out a bit of a dud.

Giovanazzi and Ticktum also need to go as they are showing nothing. Hope Rast can return.

Giovanazzi difficult to defend, but i wouldn't write him off yet. He's in one of the worst cars on the grid, had minimal pre-season testing and free practice sessions are only 30 mins each.. it can't be easy. He might potentially cope better with the Gen3 car which will have no regen paddle.

Ticktum I definitely disagree. He has set some eye catching times, again in a back of the field car and given Turvey a real run for his money like no previous team mate has managed.

#10 RSRally

RSRally

• 1,975 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 18:43

According to the german media, Di Grassi is heading to Mahindra next season!

https://e-formel.de/...ndra-45497.html

Interesting!

Sounds like DeVries isn't on very friendly terms with McLaren these days. I read somewhere he had big money offers to drive elsewhere in FE. Gotta be a manufacturer team, Nissan maybe?

Di Grassi to Mahindra seems somewhat out of the blue?

#11 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 11,982 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 19:11

It will be interesting to see if the driving style for Gen3 favours different drivers to Gen2

#12 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 20:51

It will be interesting to see if the driving style for Gen3 favours different drivers to Gen2

That is definitely the key question. Who can adapt best to the new cars, and will they feel closer to traditional ICE cars or more different than the Gen2 cars do?

#13 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 20:56

Interesting!

Sounds like DeVries isn't on very friendly terms with McLaren these days. I read somewhere he had big money offers to drive elsewhere in FE. Gotta be a manufacturer team, Nissan maybe?

The article also implies that the Stoffel to DS move is perhaps not done yet. If McLaren go into next year with Vandoorne and Rast that would be an exceptional pairing.

#14 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 02:23

Is there a limit as to how many teams there can be?

#15 RSRally

RSRally

• 1,975 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 04:40

Is there a limit as to how many teams there can be?

12, which we are at if Techeetah stay.

#16 taran

taran

• 4,425 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:11

Interesting!

It seems that long time McLaren junior De Vries was next up in the McLaren F1 pipeline until papa Norris paid the team to promote his son instead. De Vries was not amused and ties were broken shortly afterwards. This was when McLaren desperately needed money and Norris has obviously shown his F1 credentials since then but I can imagine it rankled so I am not surprised De Vries is not entertaining ideas of driving for McLaren. Still, Zak Brown has a way of smoothing ruffled feathers so who knows? After Alonso rejoined McLaren, I firmly believe anything can happen in F1..... :p

#17 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,928 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:21

de Vries is rumoured to be heading to Toyota in WEC (to replace Lopez I assume).

#18 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,860 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:27

Imagine if Vettel really becomes a factor in this Silly Season 2023  :smoking:

DS boss Thomas Chevaucher has offered Vettel the chance to test a Formula E car

https://www.autobild...e-21468393.html

Edited by thegamer23, 18 May 2022 - 09:28.

#19 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 11,982 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:35

I'm not entirely sure F1 retirees are necessarily the strongest bet in trying to scout for genuine FE talent. Just ask Venturi and Felipe Massa. 

But then if we were to entertain the hypothetical, perhaps Gen3 is a different prospect... 

Advertisement

#20 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,860 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:42

Well, i generally agree on that.

But Vettel is a 4 Time F1 World Champion with huge popularity all around the world.

He's passionate & vocal about all the Ecological matters, and human rights.

He would bring a lot to the serie besides his driving.

Even though i think he may be a better fit for Extreme E, as they're racing in ecologically endangered places of Earth, and travelling by Boat.

But all of that's never going to happen, we're just here to speculate silly things!  :smoking:

Edited by thegamer23, 18 May 2022 - 10:14.

#21 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,860 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 07:20

TheRace Podcast 

"Berlin verdict, McLaren & the 2023 Driver Market"

https://the-race.com...nd-2023-market/

#22 RSRally

RSRally

• 1,975 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 08:03

Buemi to Envision apparantely:

https://the-race.com...-join-envision/

Didn't realise he was only 33, he seems to have been around forever!

Now the question is who do Nissan go for?

#23 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,860 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 08:06

Big news!

Good for him to change team, his FE career stalled with Nissan takeover.

Could be a brand new start.

#24 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 11,982 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 08:12

That's interesting. Sometimes a driver reshuffle can re-invigorate a driver. Also a team I suppose. 

Nissan's Gen2 campaign has not been great since they agreed to give up on their twin-motor, quasi-flywheel concept - apparently their single motor replacement has been besieged by vibration issues, I think? Very much feels like attention switched to Gen3 some time ago for them. 

I think Nissan may want to keep Günther, he's got pace and brains and perhaps some time trying to nurse home points in a compromised car will help his consistency? One can hope. 

Who could they call on as a second driver?

#25 RSRally

RSRally

• 1,975 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 08:17

That's interesting. Sometimes a driver reshuffle can re-invigorate a driver. Also a team I suppose.

Nissan's Gen2 campaign has not been great since they agreed to give up on their twin-motor, quasi-flywheel concept - apparently their single motor replacement has been besieged by vibration issues, I think? Very much feels like attention switched to Gen3 some time ago for them.

I think Nissan may want to keep Günther, he's got pace and brains and perhaps some time trying to nurse home points in a compromised car will help his consistency? One can hope.

Who could they call on as a second driver?

Di Grassi, or De Vries if he stays in FE maybe?

#26 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 11,982 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 08:32

Di Grassi's expected move is said to be related to some kind of personal buy-in, which would suggest Techeetah? Nissan have just bought e.Dams outright so unlikely to be them.

De Vries is possible if he can do the FE season but still isn't happy with McLaren. 

I was wondering if they had anyone in mind from outside FE? 

Edited by Ben1445, 24 May 2022 - 08:36.

#27 RSRally

RSRally

• 1,975 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 08:46

I was wondering if they had anyone in mind from outside FE?

Article says they want an experienced driver but i suppose that could be Guenter?

#28 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,860 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 08:46

Well Nissan tested Albon before he went into F1 orbit.

What if...Latifi?  :smoking:

More realistically: could be Sergio Sette Camara if he doesn't manage to grab the Mclaren seat.

Edited by thegamer23, 24 May 2022 - 08:56.

#29 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 11,982 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 08:53

Article says they want an experienced driver but i suppose that could be Guenter?

Günther is a proven race winner on no less than three separate occasions, and this is his fourth season in FE. I would probably classify him as experienced myself, even through concerns about his consistency...  which can arguably be fixed. 

#30 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 13:12

If your car is fast enough, your consistency will improve a lot as the number of marginal moves you are left having to make is dramatically reduced.

#31 RSRally

RSRally

• 1,975 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 09:38

Re Techeetah:

https://the-race.com...spite-ds-split/

Article confirms what i was wondering about before, whether Techeetah had their own facility. Apparantely not, and Dragon won't need one either so Techeetah may take over Dragon's facility at Silverstone.

#32 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 11,982 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 10:11

It's encouraging to hear that Techeetah are close to agreements with new investors. 

#33 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 12:19

It is, though I think I will still not fully believe it until it's all announced formally.  

#34 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 12:26

It's interesting how some drivers who are otherwise doubtlessly talented don't seem to make inroads with FE - I also thought Cassidy would make a big impact on the series, but it never came to be.  Ticktum, Giovinazzi are both clearly out of their depth here, too.  Jani was another glaring example.  Hartley was surprisingly weak, too.  

#35 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,860 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 12:36

It's interesting how some drivers who are otherwise doubtlessly talented don't seem to make inroads with FE - I also thought Cassidy would make a big impact on the series, but it never came to be. Ticktum, Giovinazzi are both clearly out of their depth here, too. Jani was another glaring example. Hartley was surprisingly weak, too.

Proof that FE is quite a different kind of beast, and experience matters: even if your palmares is great, you just can't come in and expect to trash the field.

Also, Gen 2 still requires an hybrid of a GT/WEC/F3 driving style.

I expect Gen 3 to much more suitable for Formula drivers tho, given the specs.

#36 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 12:41

I think we're forgetting that equipment differences matter.  We've seen a bunch of pace from Cassidy, but with Audi pulling out he has never been in a car with a fully competitive powertrain.  I think that probably does matter more than we might think, especially during the COVID-related homologation-era.

#37 RSRally

RSRally

• 1,975 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 15:28

Regarding the above posts, the best thing we can do is compare to each driver's teammate and on that basis i'd say Giovinazzi and Cassidy aren't doing too well but Ticktum is doing ok.

With Gen3 potentially being a very different beast though it might not be too wise to condemn anyone based on current performances. There's a few drivers who will need to start doing better next season though if they want to continue beyond the first season of Gen3.

#38 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 11,982 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 22:22

Peugeot open to Maserati FE driver double-duty for WEC squad
https://www.motorspo...-duty/10310551/

So one of the Maserati drivers might have the opportunity to race with Peugeot in the WEC. 

Not Vandoorne though, since they don't want both DS drivers doing so and they already have Vergne. 

#39 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 11,982 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 12:11

A feature in The Race here singing the praises of Sette Camâra. Sounds like he's working quite hard with what he has.

Formula E’s Hidden Gem Deserves Better In 2023
https://the-race.com...better-in-2023/

I also notice that The Race is also still sticking with the line that Dragon will become DS-Penske and not DS-Dragon in Gen3. I still can't shake the feeling that this is a mistake but also... if it was.. wouldn't someone have corrected them by now?

Edited by Ben1445, 26 May 2022 - 20:43.

Advertisement

#40 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 13:25

The Captain taking over Dragon and running them to Penske standards would be a great thing for Formula E.

#41 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 11,982 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 20:49

I've sort of only just clocked that DS Techeetah have the well-respected Nigel Beresford as Team Manager. Which is relevant since before joining Techeetah has was with none other than Dragon Racing. And before that he was part of Roger's Team Penske. 

The reported decision for DS to team up with Dragon seemed a bit surprising on the surface but that key staff link gives little more colour and could be an essential thread in this tapestry. Maybe. 

Still lots of unanswered questions which we may only get as and when this deal is officially announced. Like what will the team actually be called and how will it be structured in ownership, management and operations. We've already got a hint that the Dragon operation is expected to blend into the DS facility in Paris, but will be good to hear some more details in due course. 

Edited by Ben1445, 26 May 2022 - 20:58.

#42 RSRally

RSRally

• 1,975 posts

Posted 27 May 2022 - 04:54

It seems to me that the DS model is that their partner team handle the commercial side of things, admin, maybe supply some mechanics but the engineering and and car builds are all in house.

#43 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,928 posts

Posted 27 May 2022 - 12:18

Peugeot open to Maserati FE driver double-duty for WEC squad
https://www.motorspo...-duty/10310551/

So one of the Maserati drivers might have the opportunity to race with Peugeot in the WEC. 

Not Vandoorne though, since they don't want both DS drivers doing so and they already have Vergne. 

Makes sense, I also wouldn't want that if I were team boss of the Formula E team. It's never ideal to have a driver do two different classes, better to have one who is really focussed  on once class.

#44 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 11,982 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 09:03

Don't know if this is another of The Race's joining of the dots to create a story where there isn't one (which to be fair is basically why Silly Season is called Silly Season) but they are suggesting that Theo Pourchaire is in contention for a Nissan FE seat.

https://the-race.com...formula-e-seat/

Says his F2 team, ART GP, will be assisting Nissan with it's Gen3 testing, though this is not confirmed by either team. 

Purchaire has already done some Gen3 testing for Spark Racing Technology. 

The article also says Nyck de Vries says he will "Probably" be in Fe next year through this will not be with his current team, who will become McLaren FE next season. 

#45 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 11,982 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 12:12

Theo Pourchaire himself denies it on his Twitter account, I might add 

#46 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,227 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 12:14

A Formula E article written by Sam Smith will be knowledgeable and well sourced, so there will be some substance to it, regardless of Pourchaire's denial.

#47 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,860 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 12:22

Well, De Vries is now very close to Williams after having won the Formula E title last season.

Youngsters should seriously start to consider Formula E as an equally good opportunity as F3 or F2 to show their talents & raise F1 eyebrows.

Expecially from next season with cars faster than F3 & a bit closer to F2 performances.

If Pourchaire can't get the F2 title this year, than i think going for a FE Gen 3 stint would be better than doing a third season of F2  (wich never looks great from the outside)

Edited by thegamer23, 07 June 2022 - 13:17.

#48 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 12:25

If there is no real path to F1 for Pourchaire, he would be an excellent option for someone looking for a young driver with a lot of upside.

#49 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,928 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 14:15

Well, De Vries is now very close to Williams after having won the Formula E title last season.

I think de Vries will more likely end up at Toyota in WEC. Will be happy for him if he lands that Williams drive though (but hey a Toyota WEC drive also sounds very attractive, could give him a shot at winning Le Mans!)

#50 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,860 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 16:05

Mercedes third driver, Jack Huges, hopes for a Gen 3 drive!

https://www.reddit.c...eat_i_would_be/