Photo

Victor Rigal and Louis-Charles Rigal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,379 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 15:03

Possibly we have already debated, in case, I apoligize.

In the early decades of 20th Century, two French drivers by the same surname competed in Europe with considerable success: Victor Rigal (born in 1879 in Paris) and Louis-Charles Rigal (also born in Paris, in 1887).

I did not find any source indicating they were relatives (brothers? cousins?)

What is the truth? :confused:

Edited by Nanni Dietrich, 01 July 2022 - 15:04.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 39,304 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 15:53

Definitely not brothers. Ancestry has birth records for both of them and although both their fathers were called Louis the signatures on the records are different. As are the maiden names of their mothers. From the look of it, Victor Rigal's father was barely literate - the recording clerk actually wrote the surname and 'Louis' is almost illegible. The signature of Louis-Charles's father is very neat.

Apart from one 1908 travel record for Victor - Le Havre to New York, final destination Savannah GA - and the marriage banns for his parents in 1877, that's all I can definitely assign to either of them though.

#3 robert dick

robert dick

• 1,262 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 16:04

According for example to L'Auto/14 June 1924/page 2, Victor and Louis Rigal were brothers.

#4 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,066 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 18:45

That would not have been the first time journalists got it wrong?

LOUIS-RIGAL.jpg

Louis Rigal

VICTOR-RIGAL.jpg

Victor Rigal

Brotherly resemblance?

DCN

#5 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,054 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 21:56

Don't know when each photo was taken in terms of each Rigals age but the eye's look very similar to me

Edited by LittleChris, 01 July 2022 - 21:57.

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 39,304 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 15:32

Copies of the birth records I mentioned above.

Victor Rigal, born 23 September 1879. Parents Achel Louis Rigal and Anne Appolina Abelina Mouillet.

Rigal1.jpg

Louis Charles Rigal, born 20 July 1887. Parents Louis Rigal and Marie Blanche Gaudry.

Rigal2.jpg

One thing which stands out is that Louis-Charles's father is stated to have been aged 22. Which pretty much negates the possibility that Louis-Charles was Victor's brother!

#7 oliver heal

oliver heal

• 75 posts

Posted 05 July 2022 - 19:24

Maurice Louche gives them as brothers in his "Siecle de Grands Pilotes Francais" so historians as well as journalists make mistakes. The age of the fathers seems to rule out that relationship  but the signature is fairly similar. Interesting that Louis-Charles' mother was not married.