Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Alex Palou SHOCK move to McLaren for 2023! (Split)

• Please log in to reply
1294 replies to this topic

#1 HerbieMcQueen

HerbieMcQueen

• 1,574 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 23:28

So Palou officially states he didn't sign off on CGR's announcement today, that he's leaving them, and Mclaren officially announces him as part of their organisation five minutes later. What a whirlwind.

Advertisement

#2 FLB

FLB

• 29,440 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 23:37

What?!?

590875-gettyimages-168819909-5a922f3a898

#3 FLB

FLB

• 29,440 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 23:37

McLaren sur Twitter : "¡Hola Alex! McLaren Racing welcomes #INDYCAR champion @AlexPalou to its driver roster from 2023, as the team continues to build talent across all of its racing series. Our full driver line-up across all racing series will be confirmed in due course." / Twitter

#4 FLB

FLB

• 29,440 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 23:38

Oh boy... 

Alex Palou Montalbo sur Twitter : "2/3 I did not approve that press release, and I did not author or approve that quote.  As I have recently informed CGR, for personal reasons, I do not intend to continue with the team after 2022." / Twitter

#5 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 23:39

Yeah, this is going to be very interesting.  Seems like McLaren have gotten their ducks in a row so that if Ricciardo leaves then Pato can shift to F1 with Palou dropping in, or if he doesn't, Pato, Palou, and Rossi are the Indycar team with Rosenqvist back to Formula E alongside a driver to be named later (heavily rumoured to be Rene Rast).

But that would mean that the CGR's option wasn't as air-tight as imagined.  Or that Palou and McLaren seem to think this is like football where wantaway talent can get out of deals they don't like.

I suspect some very large billable hours for a few good lawyers are on the cards.

#6 Calum

Calum

• 1,128 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 23:45

Oh this is exciting! 

#7 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 23:52

There's no way CGR didn't know this was coming, particularly today. So they must think they have decent legal grounds, optioned him, now want a payout. They won't hold on to him because it would be such bad blood in the team.

Malukas to #10? Someone washing out of FE/F1? Not many names available.

Edited by Ross Stonefeld, 12 July 2022 - 23:52.

#8 red stick

red stick

• 13,996 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 23:54

Palou will live to regret this.

#9 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 23:56

Palou will live to regret this.

I cannot see how Chip lets this slide, especially since it was already known that Brown and he got along like Grosjean and Rossi.  But perhaps the option was mutual, not one-sided?  The lawyers will let us know.

#10 red stick

red stick

• 13,996 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 23:58

And even if not, CGR firing on all cylinders beats McLaren. I don't get it, short of another F1 test promise. They can't all drive in F1.

#11 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:02

WHAT NAO ?

Jp

#12 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:03

And even if not, CGR firing on all cylinders beats McLaren. I don't get it, short of another F1 test promise. They can't all drive in F1.

Palou has a Super License, so can replace Danny right now if need be.  If not, he can drive alongside O'Ward (who should have a Super License by the end of the year, assuming current performance maintains), and Rossi.  With Rosenqvist sliding over to McLaren's Formula E program.  I guess this is McLaren's way of covering all their bases, but you're right, McLaren is a step down from CGR in Indycar right now.  I would imagine they'd be paying a significant premium to entire such a switch, but it seems like a really dumb way to burn bridges with one of the biggest players in the paddock, after already stepping on Penske's toes with talent poaching as well.  They are not very good at reading the Indycar room, it would appear.

And from Palou's perspective, this seems like a pretty unforgiveable move that will close the door on a future at CGR, when a very long, lucrative career looked to be on the cards for him.

Edited by juicy sushi, 13 July 2022 - 00:04.

#13 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:09

Why can't he have a long lucrative career at McLaren? They have serious backing Ganassi doesn't have. And what does McLaren really worry about keeping Ganassi on side for? They're from F1, they're not worried about some sort of personal equilibrium.

Plus if Palou was under a renegotiation year or had exits or whatever, he's fair game. 

#14 FLB

FLB

• 29,440 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:10

Palou has a Super License, so can replace Danny right now if need be.  

What it does is that it gives McLaren an option to immediately replace Danny Ric.

#15 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,543 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:11

Zak sure knows how to sweet talk someone :lol:

#16 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:19

Why can't he have a long lucrative career at McLaren? They have serious backing Ganassi doesn't have. And what does McLaren really worry about keeping Ganassi on side for? They're from F1, they're not worried about some sort of personal equilibrium.

Plus if Palou was under a renegotiation year or had exits or whatever, he's fair game. 

First, we don't know if Palou had exits.  He certainly feels he does, perhaps CGR do not.  That's for the lawyers.  

He could have a long, lucrative career at McLaren.  But their non-F1 teams are all much younger than CGR, and have much less assurance of permanence.  CGR doesn't have the same backing as McLaren, but they are a financial sustainable racing organization with over 30 years of competition in Indycar, just about 20 years in sports cars, and other series as well.  Palou definitely would have been able to explore a long career across many series with CGR, who do have a history of being partnered by major manufacturers needing to compete in top-level series.  That seems like a pretty stable career path.

McLaren might be doing that over the long term, they might not.  At this point, Palou will be relying on their assurances that this is the case, and if not, that he can find alternative career options quite readily.  It's probably the case, but he's giving up a fairly certain shot at a stable career in motorsports that doesn't become available for many drivers outside of F1 or perhaps the Porsche factory driver program.

#17 boomn

boomn

• 1,218 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:22

Sometimes lawyers get to really enjoy silly season too! 😬

#18 FLB

FLB

• 29,440 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:23

Oh to be a fly on the wall at CGR... 

#19 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,543 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:26

Have to think this will have an impact on Palou's championship chances this year.

Edited by krapmeister, 13 July 2022 - 00:27.

Advertisement

#20 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:27

Oh, I don't doubt that for a second.

#21 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:30

I'm trying to think of something similarly bananas and I just can't think of an instance like this.

#22 FLB

FLB

• 29,440 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:33

I'm trying to think of something similarly bananas and I just can't think of an instance like this.

Ericsson / van der Garde (Sauber)

#23 FLB

FLB

• 29,440 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:34

Although I'm struggling to remember a driver flat-out coming out against his current team like Palou just did.

#24 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:36

Although I'm struggling to remember a driver flat-out coming out against his current team like Palou just did.

And it being the defending champion and one of the two top teams in the series.  

#25 FLB

FLB

• 29,440 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:39

When you think who Austin Cindric's father is and what he does for a living, it's even funnier  :lol:

Austin Cindric sur Twitter : "Here's the solution: We need Chip Ganassi vs Zak Brown In the Octagon. Pay per view. Winner takes all. Internet do your thing. #IndyCar #F1" / Twitter

Edited by FLB, 13 July 2022 - 00:39.

#26 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:41

Zak Brown: hold my beer

#27 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:42

Don't worry about the Octagon, this has a high chance of going down on pitlane in Toronto on Friday...

#28 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:44

I love how Zak's fondling all the sweethearts in IndyCar: Colton, Palou, Rossi, O'Ward. The only top dog he hasn't molested yet is Newgarden. Probably afraid of the dad series owner.  :p

Michael's probably watching the news and thinking: OMG, what was I thinking allowing Colton to test for those guys.

Looks like Zak also played the Rosenqvist hand pretty well - if Palou wouldn't work out, he's got an IndyCar driver, otherwise he's got a race winner in Formula E.

Edited by Dolph, 13 July 2022 - 00:47.

#29 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:47

I love how Zak's fondling all the sweethearts in IndyCar: Colton, Palou, Rossi, O'Ward. The only top dog he hasn't molested yet is Newgarden. Probably afraid of the dad series owner.  :p

I am pretty sure they asked, and Josef said no authoritatively enough that the question never even made the rumour mill as being asked.

#30 FLB

FLB

• 29,440 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:49

Notice how Palou linked McLaren Racing and not SPAM? The F1 team and not the IndyCar team?

The more I think about it, the more I'm absolutely conviced he's replacing Danny Ric as soon as his IndyCar obligations are over. Herta isn't having a season that will give him enough SL points.

Edited by FLB, 13 July 2022 - 00:50.

#31 DRSwing

DRSwing

• 509 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:51

WOW, the drama!  I thought for a second the McLaren announcement was from a fake account, having just seen the CGR announcement.

Talk about cutting ties and burning bridges. 

Maybe there is a promise of an F1 seat in the near future for Palou?  They said he is joining the McLaren Racing team but didn’t specify which series, did they? 

Wonder how Pato (or Danny Ric) is feeling now. 

#32 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 00:53

Notice how Palou linked McLaren Racing and not SPAM? The F1 team and not the IndyCar team?

The more I think about it, the more I'm absolutely conviced he's replacing Danny Ric as soon as his IndyCar obligations are over. Herta isn't having a season that will give him enough SL points.

Could be, though Pato is having a season that will give him enough Super License points…

#33 SKL

SKL

• 1,404 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 01:13

Well, Zak and Chip are off each other's Christmas Card list...    man what a MESS...

#34 markpenske

markpenske

• 569 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 02:01

Wow! what a bombshell. Chip wouldn't dump Palou before the end of the season..................would he?

Andretti wouldn't dump Rossi before the end of the season................would he?

Could Herta get out of Andretti and move to Ganassi?

#35 rghojai

rghojai

• 2,009 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 02:11

Wondering if Zak has a Spanish sponsor for Palou in F1, hoping Ganassi dumps Palou NAO.

#36 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,302 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 02:32

Herta to Ganassi makes all the sense as the cherry on top of this drama sundae, except his deal runs ‘til the end of next year, I think.

But hey, it’s only a contract…

#37 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,593 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 02:34

I hope Zak didn't pull a Monisha Katelborn.

#38 markpenske

markpenske

• 569 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 02:38

Herta to Ganassi makes all the sense as the cherry on top of this drama sundae, except his deal runs ‘til the end of next year, I think.

that's correct. but then again, CGR has/had an option of Palou for 2023.

This is great. We haven't heard the end of this story

#39 Radoye

Radoye

• 3,364 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 02:58

Did not see this coming, wow! :eek:

Advertisement

#40 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 03:51

I don't see how McLaren can plausibly keep all these top drivers happy. Presumably they're all aiming for the same seat in F1.

#41 loki

loki

• 12,037 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 03:52

It would be entertaining to watch either of those guy try to even climb into an octagon...

#42 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 6,652 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 03:56

I don't see how McLaren can plausibly keep all these top drivers happy. Presumably they're all aiming for the same seat in F1.

What they are doing is certainly very impressive. Great bunch of talents together. 

Don't think Mclaren will prioritise Palou for F1 though when they have Herta, Pato and Piastri as options. 

#43 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 04:00

What they are doing is certainly very impressive. Great bunch of talents together. 

Don't think Mclaren will prioritise Palou for F1 though when they have Herta, Pato and Piastri as options. 

Adding Piastri to the roster surely makes even less sense now.

#44 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,085 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 04:50

This makes sense to me only if Palou is taking Ricciardo's seat in F1. Even just the chance of that seat surely couldn't be enough to tempt him away from Ganassi. He's throwing away a winning combination - one which could, quite literally, have given him decades of opportunities to compete for titles. If he isn't announced very soon as Ricciardo's replacement, I agree with red stick: Palou will regret this.

#45 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 04:58

There's no way CGR didn't know this was coming, particularly today. So they must think they have decent legal grounds, optioned him, now want a payout. They won't hold on to him because it would be such bad blood in the team.

Malukas to #10? Someone washing out of FE/F1? Not many names available.

Unfortunate how this is working out for Rosenqvist. Had he not just signed an extension that will shuffle him to Formula E, he may well have been a contender for a return.

#46 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 05:00

VeeKay isn't under contract for 2023 is he? I'd go with him for the 10 seat.

#47 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 05:27

This makes sense to me only if Palou is taking Ricciardo's seat in F1. Even just the chance of that seat surely couldn't be enough to tempt him away from Ganassi. He's throwing away a winning combination - one which could, quite literally, have given him decades of opportunities to compete for titles. If he isn't announced very soon as Ricciardo's replacement, I agree with red stick: Palou will regret this.

Agreed with every word. Palou's management have either pulled off a massive coup - with mutual ironclad assurances that Palou can leave Ganassi whilst McLaren can terminate Ricciardo - or they've massively overextended to Palou's detriment. Even in the best case scenario, this sounds expensive for McLaren.

#48 loki

loki

• 12,037 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 05:51

Mike Hull has told Nate Brown that definitively Palou is under contract to CGR for the 2023 season.   There was no couching of the term the statement was certain and made a few hours after McLaren announced.  CGR team PR has also confirmed that in an article published on the Indycar site.   Ol’ Floyd seems to think he’s got the kid locked in at least on paper.  The lawyers are going to fight this one out.  It was likely a team option with Palou not having a say in the option.  Not uncommon for younger drivers.  It doesn’t sound like Palou has had consistent management over the last several months.  Roger Yasakawa helped do Palou’s first deals in ICS but is no longer involved.  

https://www.indystar...ct/10044388002/

ETA David Land on Twitter saying Brazilian press reporting CGR contacting Kanaan for this weekend.  I find that that a bit far fetched though possible.

Edited by loki, 13 July 2022 - 05:56.

#49 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,085 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 05:57

That management arrangement doesn't inspire confidence. I have a bad feeling Palou's just thrown away a team dynamic most drivers spend their careers trying to find.

Edited by Muppetmad, 13 July 2022 - 05:57.

#50 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,227 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 06:01

Despite the speculation in this thread, Palou isn’t going to be racing F1 next year because it says in the statement he will do some testing of previous F1 car “alongside his racing duties”, so I think we can be pretty sure the intention is to have him in IndyCar.