- - - - -

Sebastian Vettel will retire from F1 at the end of 2022

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#1 gpking

gpking

• 361 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:06

Vettel just announced his retirement at the end of the season.

Advertisement

#2 Coral

Coral

• 6,788 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:08

Just heard on Sky Sports News that Vettel is retiring...wow, didn't expect that!

#3 H0R

H0R

• 4,119 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:11

Well deserved and the right decision. There are things much more important than motor racing and he is one of the first to recognize it. I am looking forward to his future endeavours.

#4 jpm2019

jpm2019

• 1,602 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:12

Not clear to me why people are suprised. 

Great statement ! Great person ! 

#5 Loosenut

Loosenut

• 1,200 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:14

I hope we still see him around in the paddock often. Such a great character, we will really miss him.

#6 Laura1955

Laura1955

• 219 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:14

Good...hope next is Latifi or/and Ricci

Can Oscar P can take Vettel place or Oscar cannot drive only for Alpine or Mclaren?

#7 Topsu

Topsu

• 3,020 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:15

Nice. Didn't make the same mistake as Kimi and stick around too long.

#8 P123

P123

• 23,968 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:15

A few years back I would have expected it, as he never gave the impression of wanting to hang about forever.  Now, it seems to be a bit of a surprise.  But he's made his money, had his successes and has other interests, so good luck to SV.  I do think the drivers lose a good spokesperson, and maybe the sport does too.  But maybe he'll hang around in some role or another.

#9 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,329 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:17

Seb was a great driver in the Red Bull days, and he’ll be a fantastic campaigner in his retirement. He is articulate about and committed to his causes and the climate change lobby will benefit from having him in their corner.

All the best Seb, and good luck!

#10 gpking

gpking

• 361 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:19

Few years ago I thought that when Vettel retired he'd disappear and never hear from him again. Now I'm not so sure.

#11 Scaboo22

Scaboo22

• 2,366 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:21

Only 35 too. But I understand it. He's a 4 time WDC fighting to get out of Q1 in a very bad car. I'm still amazed how fast it went downhill for Seb. And a little disappointed it's ending like this.

While I wasn't ever his biggest fan, he is a 4 time WDC and I would have loved to see him get one more shot in a good car...

#12 davidbuckden

davidbuckden

• 133 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:21

Have been conflicted about this as a prospect, but, now it's happened, I think it's a good decision.  Perhaps comment will now focus more on all the good achievements instead of so much carping about him, especially the parrot talk suggesting he won world championships with only meagre talent. Whatever the merits of those Red Bulls, Vettel drove them very well and could have been champion again at Ferrari if only the organisation at Maranello had not reverted to its default - disorganised - mode. My liking for him grew very quickly because of his usual overt sunny disposition, the first, magic, win at Monza and on discovering his interest in and respect for the history of the sport. Forza Seb, and Gesundheit too!

#13 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:23

He has mountains to climb and songs to write. He'll be fine.

#14 Anja

Anja

• 10,355 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:24

I feel pretty conflicted about this. Don't care much for Seb as a driver and barely warmed up to him as a person - but I will still miss him in F1. His personality genuinely brings something to the sport that many others just don't and so makes F1 more interesting. Even if I'm not a fan I really appreciate that. 

#15 MaroF1

MaroF1

• 1,032 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:24

Shame, but its better thar he retires than that he truddles around in 11th place for few more seasons.
He was a beast in Red Bull, but showed some cracks that were fully visible in Ferrari.
Never thought he was on Alonso's or Hamilton's level, but when he was winning, he was on it.
Incredible driver and a great guy, wish him all the best.

Edited by MaroF1, 28 July 2022 - 10:24.

#16 sheSgoTthElooK

sheSgoTthElooK

• 3,297 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:26

Aww .. that's sad and really surprising. I still think he has what it takes.. and he's smart.

The speech itself was very good imo - even though it was scripted before...

I get his desire to hang out more ... with his wife and kids ❤️

Wish you luck in your last races, Seb !

Enjoy it.

#17 flingsofdeon

flingsofdeon

• 601 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:27

Didn’t expect it - but makes 2023 more exciting. He’s been past his best for 3+ years and his preaching of causes has been irritating.

Odd considering his hints that he was wanting to continue just a week ago.

Some superb titles notched up though, so he can certainly retire content…

#18 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:28

Right decision imo, in the end he's just a normal guy who loves time with his family, has a lot of other interests and a ton of money. At only 35. If you have all that and 4 titles and 50+ /wins, why struggling to get out of Q1 anymore?
I just hope we'll see him as a commentator one day. With his experience, knowledge, eloquency and wit, he'd be amazing in this role.

Edited by Jovanotti, 28 July 2022 - 10:29.

#19 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 1,973 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:30

I'm actually gutted he's retiring. Such a lovely chap and a great ambassador for the sport, I hope we seem him in the paddock still. I'm pleased he's retiring on his own terms and respect to him for that decision to spend time with his family. Bravo Seb!

Advertisement

#20 blackmme

blackmme

• 1,006 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:30

Absolutely outstanding driver at his peak and he has become an outstanding ambassador for the sport.

The Red Bull's he drove clearly required a very specific technique and he mastered it,

I think he will be hugely missed but if he fancies it then he would be an absolutely brilliant pundit.

Well done Seb!

Regards Mike

#21 Whitelightning

Whitelightning

• 640 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:31

Still so young for retirement in F1 terms, feel like given the right car he still had a lot to give.

Maybe he just wants to spend time with his family like Nico Rosberg now so that means we will still see him at the track every weekend. 😂

4x world champion who in his day was very hard to beat.

#22 jannyg

jannyg

• 2,044 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:32

The move to Aston Martin just has not worked out and it doesnt look like working out any time soon.

Fantastic era during the Red Bull days and was almost successful in resurrecting Ferrari.

I always liked Vettel so he will be missed. But also there are a lot of talented drivers now so his stock just isnt as high. Right time to go.  

#23 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,857 posts

Wow, big news, but not entirely unexpected. He's doing it at the right time. 

He's got a lot to be proud of - and to think early in the 2010s we'd thought he'd obliterate Schumacher's records. It's odd how it all worked out - I guess the 'curse of post-2006 Ferrari' got him in the end. I really hope he writes a book. 

#24 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,021 posts

Respect Vettel’s performances but could never warm to him as a driver.

The last 2 years is starting to resemble Prost - Mansell - Senna - Piquet dropping out of F1 between 91 - 94. Just Hamilton and Alonso left now.

#25 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 655 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:33

I've never experienced such a swing from pantomime villain to genuinely likeable character before SV. Seb has been responsible for some of the strongest emotions, both good and bad that I've experienced in F1 and his slide into the midfield and lower has been very sad - but what a fantastic career, and what a great ambassador for the sport.

I hope we keep hearing from him in the future, and I wish him all the best for his future and family. 

#26 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:33

Strange - during his Red Bull years with the "finger" and ignoring team orders, I really didn't like Seb, but, having read journalists who knew him in his earlier career explain that he was always a different animal in the car than away from it (and having seen Max also become more entitled as a result of Horner and Dr. Marko's smoke blowing), I changed my view, and I found myself saddened to see him struggling at Ferrari in 2018 and 2019.  He is obviously a man of unusual depth for a racing driver, and I'll miss him. 

How do we assess his legacy, though?  I don't think he is the equal of other four-time WDCs, but found his greatest success driving cars that suited his technique.  I consider him one of the best front-runners I've seen in the sport, but with a weakness under pressure that manifested itself in moments like Singapore 2017 and Hockenheim 2018.

#27 Piif

Piif

• 1,806 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:34

I had lukewarm feelings toward Seb as a driver but his stances on the environment, human rights etc have made me warm up to him as a person. Hope he will (as Hamilton says) "use his platform" to promote these messages even after he's gone from F1.

Seems like a genuinely nice guy.  :up:

#28 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 1,973 posts

I used to despise him at RB when he was winning all the time - really hated it  :rotfl:  But moving to Ferrari and actually listening to his humor, he's just a really nice guy and obviously very talented. I don't think the 'new' cars suit his style and think he probably couldn't adapt as well as others, but still a flipping quick racing driver. One of the greats of the sport and he should be very proud of what he's achieved in Formula 1. 

#29 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Thank you Seb 🙂

#30 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:35

A few years back I would have expected it, as he never gave the impression of wanting to hang about forever.  Now, it seems to be a bit of a surprise.  But he's made his money, had his successes and has other interests, so good luck to SV.  I do think the drivers lose a good spokesperson, and maybe the sport does too.  But maybe he'll hang around in some role or another.

Might be good for him to join Alex Wurz in working for the GPDA?

#31 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:35

Only 35 too. But I understand it. He's a 4 time WDC fighting to get out of Q1 in a very bad car. I'm still amazed how fast it went downhill for Seb. And a little disappointed it's ending like this.

While I wasn't ever his biggest fan, he is a 4 time WDC and I would have loved to see him get one more shot in a good car...

Jackie Stewart retired at 32...

#32 Makarias

Makarias

• 12,657 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:36

I never rooted much for him on track but off it he's 100% treasure. All the best to a great guy, happiness in perpetuity!

#33 RekF1

RekF1

• 2,212 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:36

Not that surprising really. I'm thinking that last race of his might make this grumpy old fart cry.

#34 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:41

I think Vettel is one of the first drivers I can genuinely say I've followed his career from start to end - I either wasn't around, or was too young to remember well the start of Schumacher's and others like him. But I can still remember Vettel's first pole and win at that rainy weekend in Monza still clearly, not to mention all his subsequent championship success. On a more personal note, he won the very first Grand Prix I ever attended too, so he'll always have a special place in my memories because of that. He was definitely one of my favourites during that time, and I've continued to enjoy him doing well more recently too. 

I thought he might stop on a year or two more, but then again, he seems to be increasingly passionate about other things - environmental issues etc - so perhaps it isn't too great a surprise. He will be a great loss to the sport though, and I hope he does still remain involved in motorsport in some capacity around anything else he does. Wonder if he's interested in linking up with his old buddy Kimi and racing at Le Mans together? That'd be cool to see.  :up:

First Valentino Rossi last year, now Seb this year. Can all these greats of motorsport please stop retiring? I can't take it.  :cry:   :lol:

Best wishes to Seb for the rest of the season - hopefully Aston can improve that mess of a car and give him chance to leave the sport on a positive note. I can imagine AM are cacking themselves now too - they'll be in a mess without him. 

Edited by JHSingo, 28 July 2022 - 10:44.

#35 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,021 posts

Different beast owing to the deadly 60s and Cevert’s death.

#36 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

his retirement video was classy af

#37 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,307 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:42

Really sad. He'll be a big loss to F1. I still maintain that his 2013 season was one of the best ever driven by anoyone.

#38 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:42

He's driving his best season since 2017. So that's a shame, but also good that he ended on a positive note. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves, as amazing as that sounds for a 4xWDC.

Button/Brawn and Alonso's miraculous 2012 season aside, he was by far the best driver of the 2009-2013 period. His statistics were simply mindboggling.

Aston aren't heading to the top of the grid any time soon, and as others have noted, Vettel has matured and evidently has interests outside of F1, which is always healthy. Completely the right decision, I wish him well.

#39 FortiFord

FortiFord

• 2,212 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:45

As a person, i really liked Seb from his early Red Bull days. He's very personable and has a great sense of humour (he even understands the nuances of British humour which is really impressive for a non-native). 

As a driver, i think he was incredibly quick when the circumstances suited him. However he did have a lack of adaptability, specifically to cars with a lack of rear end. For that reason, i'd put him in the same echelons as the likes of Raikkonen and Hakkinen but below Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton.  

Advertisement

#40 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,465 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:46

A sad end to his F1 journey, my favourite driver of all time, took that mantle away from Schumacher who used to be my favourite.

I’ll always cherish the wins, poles and championships that I got to witness as a 12 year old all the way to his last title in 2013 as a 17 year old.

I don’t think I’ll ever feel how I felt when he got pole in Monza 2008 and then converted it the very next day in a TORO ROSSO(hence my name) and the feeling I had during low points like Korea 2010(the tears had to come out) and thinking it was all over, compounded by Alonso’s infamous team radio when he was cackling because it seemed that he was well on his way to the title. Only for Seb to rally and win the title at the final race and then embark on a period of excellence rarely seen in F1, I wish it wasn’t true that he’s retiring but Aston Martin have regressed and shown no signs of offering him what he wants and needs, which is a race winning car.

Danke, Sebastian.

Edited by STRFerrari4Ever, 28 July 2022 - 10:47.

#41 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,260 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:47

Good luck to him. His place in Formula One history is secure.

#42 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,021 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:47

Have to wonder. Did Mercedes approach Vettel around the same time the took in Hamilton. At the time any move to leave Red Bull would have looked crazy.

#43 geralt

geralt

• 1,591 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:50

He retires as a legend of the sport. And an even better man.

Will be missed from the paddock for sure

#44 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,400 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:55

The older he’s got, the more likeable I’ve found him. Some unbelievable drives during that red bull area and so close to a title with Ferrari too.

I’ll miss him.

#45 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,659 posts

34, but 33 when he told Ken of his decision (in April 1973 I believe).

#46 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Slightly surprised. Obviously he’s had a long and very successful career but he seems to be enjoying himself at Aston Martin. I was expecting a couple of years more.

Maybe that’s the point. Go out while he’s enjoying himself.

#47 Jops14

Jops14

• 520 posts

Good for him, I couldnt stand him in those 4 years he was winning. But as with every dominant driver, time makes you reflect, and really the reason is because he was so damn good in that period, it felt like every sunday was a foregone conclusion. (Looking at you back end of 2013)

Looking back, hes had an incredible career and has always come across really well, he’ll be missed greatly, but glad he gets to leave on his own terms.

Look forward to debating his legacy in 10 years time haha

#48 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:57

I used to despise him at RB when he was winning all the time - really hated it  :rotfl:  But moving to Ferrari and actually listening to his humor, he's just a really nice guy and obviously very talented. I don't think the 'new' cars suit his style and think he probably couldn't adapt as well as others, but still a flipping quick racing driver. One of the greats of the sport and he should be very proud of what he's achieved in Formula 1. 

He is much more at home this year. Whatever the issue was probably confined to the 2017-2021 cars, although of course that represents a significant portion of his career.

I don't think the issue was adaptability. He demonstrated top driver skills in 2007-8 on grooved Bridgestone tyres with TC, then slick Bridgestones and Pirellis without TC under a new aerodynamic ruleset from 2009-13.

It only really unravelled from that key Hockenheim race in 2018, a few years and regulation tweaks later. So some of would have to be psychological, but he wouldn't be the first to be chewed up and spat out by Ferrari.

#49 pRy

pRy

• 26,356 posts

Right decision at the right time. I hope we see him on TV as a pundit similar to Rosberg but I won’t be surprised if we don’t see him at all. Lewis will miss his presence. He and Seb have been quite a good pairing for change.

#50 FLB

FLB

• 29,884 posts

34, but 33 when he told Ken of his decision (in April 1973 I believe).

Walter Hayes as well IIRC. He didn't tell anybody else because he didn't want his wife to live the 1973 season as a countdown.

Edited by FLB, 28 July 2022 - 10:59.