Photo

Lordelo do Ouro Circuit

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 16:29

For those of you not following the quiz thread, this little known circuit was part of an answer to a question posed by Guilherme ( GMiranda ). 

Situated by the River Douro a couple of km south of the Circuito da Boavista used for the 1958 and 1960 World Championship Grand Prix, it held a single international race featuring Derek Bell amongst the 16 starters. 

Perhaps Guilherme could tell us a little more about his research into the circuit and race ? 

I also include a link to some footage found by Nexfast 

Automobilismo: Antevisão do 1º Circuito de Lordelo do Ouro – RTP Arquivos

Edited by LittleChris, 04 November 2022 - 16:30.

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 23:07

Fine film - everyone with a cigarette and ultra safe corner exits against the wall of a building, bales and kerbs...  An intriguing find.

DCN

#3 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 23:20

There must be so many of these films out there Doug. Someone with their camera perched at Freunkreuz not knowing that the forest would reclaim this part of Solitude or hiding behind a tree watching the F2 heroes turn into Gresil at Rouen. Here's hoping more turn up  :)

#4 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 1,179 posts

Posted 06 November 2022 - 23:18

I have a lot of information about the circuit, but I hope to publish it one day. However, I'll post here some of my research.

Portugal experienced a racing boom after WWII, and it was a vibrant period for our country because we had a lot of artisanal manufacturers that, using an engine from certain marques (mainly Fiat), built a chassis and a racing car around it. Most of them were competing for lower engine capacities and were innovative. So there were races at Vila do Conde and Vila Real, but Porto (Boavista) and Lisbon (Monsanto) concentrated the most prominent events. As usual, the money ran tight and to keep such prestigious entry lists as we used to, the ACP decided to alternate between Porto and Lisbon from 1956 onwards.

In 1958 Portugal received F1 for the first time in Boavista, then it was Monsanto in 1959 and Boavista again in 1960. However, the costs were extremely high and being Portugal a small and poor country plagued by a Colonial War since 1961, and without great interest for car manufacturers, F1 was shelved for good. There was international racing between 1961 and the revolution in 1974, but it was focused mainly at Vila Real or F3 races at Cascais and Vila Real. The colonial scenario in Angola and Mozambique was far better; Angola had a round of the Springbok Series tournament for Sport/Prototypes and GT's and a thrilling scenario as it was our most prosperous colony, while Mozambique even received the South African F1 championship.

Both Boavista and Monsanto were deemed too costly to maintain even for national events and had the problem of interrupting the road traffic on vital roads in both cities. Thus it was attempted to bolster races in airfields like Alverca and Montes Claros, as well as a shortened version of Monsanto called Montes Claros.

In Porto, there was no way to use part of the Boavista circuit. As Porto and Lisbon were always rivals and the north of the country had a motoring tradition equal to Lisbon, Porto city council decided to use the roads that were being opened for the buildings that would be built on a small hill over the Douro river mouth to make a circuit in 1962. I decided to use my own maps designs instead of the original ones because you may see them through Google, even if I may post some programme covers here later.

Lordelo-1962.jpg

This is the 1962 circuit. Short and highly twisty, the circuit was full of blind bends and ups and downs. It was a mere provisional solution, but there was no agreement to build a circuit or, more likely, to have a new city circuit in Porto or Matosinhos, and with Cascais arriving and Vila Real returning after some major works, Porto was sidelined.

However, in 1964, the Portuguese A.C.P. Rally counted towards the European Rally Championship. This was the forerunner of the Portuguese Rally, organized for the first time in 1967. The ACP Rally was a national event, but it counted twice for the ERC, one in the late fifties and another in 1964. As most of the rallies back then, it was more of a regularity contest with some special stages, and the ACP decided to organize the final one in Porto and used the Lordelo roads. The format is different, and there is a section which was used in both ways, as you may see on the map:

Lordelo-1964.jpg

As F3 was booming at Vila Real and Cascais, Porto tried again to host an international race while discussions about a new track or a city circuit continued. They decided to use Lordelo again, but on an extended version, as the original was deemed too short. New buildings were being constructed everywhere as the country grew, and many people left the fields for the city. The location of the hill was privileged as it had a nice view of the river and the sea, and it was near a posh part of the town. They needed new streets to access the building places and line up new houses and urbanizations, and the promoters used that to create a new version of the circuit. It wasn't so twisty or slow as the inaugural one, but it could host more prominent events. Despite the rich entry list, most of the F3 stars didn't appear for diverse reasons, as Cascais and Vila Real were more prestigious.

Lordelo-1966.jpg

However, everybody understood it was a provisional solution, and the tarmac was so rough that some national drivers who had very good cars decided not to race because they didn't want to damage them and risk losing money. Then, with more and more work on the buildings, it was impossible to stop them for almost a week to have a race. Finally, Vila Real was now a major international venue, and Vila do Conde, quite near Porto by car and train, was an extremely popular destination and hosted spectacular national races. Porto was sidelined for good, and with the revolution and decolonization, the rich Portuguese motor racing scenario collapsed. There were other problems, far less money and two suitable circuits in the north, plus the Estoril circuit near Lisbon, so Porto had to wait until 2005 to see racing again, now on a more safe and reduced version of the Boavista circuit.

#5 Porsche718

Porsche718

• 865 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 03:02

I have a much more condensed history of Circuito Lordelo than has just been posted. I hope this information does not clash with any further details Guilherme may post, but I have tried to be faithful and accurate in my translating from Portuguese. I have gleaned the info from some period publications and some Portuguese automobile club forums and blogs.

Circuito Lordelo

The  area used for the circuit was the Pasteleira precinct which had been used by the military during the war as an equipment maintenance centre. The area was being developed for a future private business centre just south of the Lordelo city along the waterfront.

By 1962 the roads had been finished, but no building constuction had begun, so the Automobile Club of Portugal applied to use the roads for what was basically a local club meeting on June 3rd 1962.

Permission was granted and the track layout finalised within the confines of the newly developed precinct  (see attached photo). The event consisted of two races for touring cars under and over 850cc, and the main GT sports car race competing for the "Automovel Club de Portugal Cup" which became known as the "1st Circuito de Lordelo do Ouro".

As a club event the meeting was a success so future plans were put into place for an international meeting but using an extended layout of 2.95 kms leading uphill from the water front, into the town centre, and returning to the waterfront area via a newly constructed return road. This did not eventuate until August 13-14 1966 where events for touring cars, GT sports and formula vee were held, as well as the "11th Circuito do Porto" for International Formula 3.

Unfortunately, at an international level, the event was not popular, as the competitors felt the surface was much too abbrasive having an asphalt base that included sand and crushed shell which led to the formula 3 cars tearing through their tyres at an unacceptable rate. This, combined with the further building construction within the precinct, meant that there were no further motor racing activities at Lordelo.

The circuit layout is still in existence today and an annual bicylce event is still held using the same roads as those used in 1962 and 66.

image-2022-11-07-140307157.png

Photo late 1961

circuito-porto-1966-r16.jpg

Circuit map from 1966 programme

image-2022-11-07-141714214.png

Modern overlay of Lordelo

Lordelo-programme.png

Cheers all

Edited by Porsche718, 07 November 2022 - 03:24.

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 08:39

Two really wonderfully informative posts.  Thank you both very much indeed.

I covered the 1969 Vila Real 6-Hour race for 'Autosport' and found everything about racing in Portugal pretty much mind blowing - right from quite a massive fight over parc fermé requirements between some entrants/drivers/mechanics and the police - lapping the quite extraordinary public road circuit with Willie Green in his yellow GT40 and being super careful of what seemed to be the 50-foot precipice immediately behind the pits which really concentrated the mind upon watching where you were walking.  Most memorably at one point mid-race I asked David Piper "How's it going?" - and he, never impressed by journos, just glared at me and growled: "Really? Have you been paying attention?".

Race winners Piper/Craft in Al de Cadenet's Porsche 908/02.  Ahem.

The journey there had also been interesting - flight diverted from nearby Oporto to distant Lisbon due to massive electrical storms, then a taxi ride overnight - 246 miles to Vila Real, part of it through said storms, and punctuated by a search for a hospital for one of my travelling companions who'd developed a massive (and I mean massive) and apparently unstaunchable nose bleed.  We found a country hospital about 6 in the morning.  A medic answered the doorbell (!) wearing white scrubs, with bloodstains down the front...  

Our poor girl disappeared within, but after a good 2-3 minutes we heard a scream and she came rushing back out pursued by the concerned sawbones. She explained that the place was absolutely filthy and no way would she be treated there.  So we packed back into the cab and the bemused driver pressed on.  Fortunately the shock stopped the nosebleed.  

Oh yes - I remember racing in Portugal quite vividly...

DCN

#7 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 14:03

Thank you so much for the posts.

One thing I did notice is that the onboard film indicates that the 1962 circuit may have been run clockwise whilst the maps above show the 1966 version as running anti-clockwise. 

#8 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 1,179 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 15:12

I have a much more condensed history of Circuito Lordelo than has just been posted. I hope this information does not clash with any further details Guilherme may post, but I have tried to be faithful and accurate in my translating from Portuguese. I have gleaned the info from some period publications and some Portuguese automobile club forums and blogs.

Circuito Lordelo

The  area used for the circuit was the Pasteleira precinct which had been used by the military during the war as an equipment maintenance centre. The area was being developed for a future private business centre just south of the Lordelo city along the waterfront.

By 1962 the roads had been finished, but no building constuction had begun, so the Automobile Club of Portugal applied to use the roads for what was basically a local club meeting on June 3rd 1962.

Permission was granted and the track layout finalised within the confines of the newly developed precinct  (see attached photo). The event consisted of two races for touring cars under and over 850cc, and the main GT sports car race competing for the "Automovel Club de Portugal Cup" which became known as the "1st Circuito de Lordelo do Ouro".

As a club event the meeting was a success so future plans were put into place for an international meeting but using an extended layout of 2.95 kms leading uphill from the water front, into the town centre, and returning to the waterfront area via a newly constructed return road. This did not eventuate until August 13-14 1966 where events for touring cars, GT sports and formula vee were held, as well as the "11th Circuito do Porto" for International Formula 3.

Unfortunately, at an international level, the event was not popular, as the competitors felt the surface was much too abbrasive having an asphalt base that included sand and crushed shell which led to the formula 3 cars tearing through their tyres at an unacceptable rate. This, combined with the further building construction within the precinct, meant that there were no further motor racing activities at Lordelo.

The circuit layout is still in existence today and an annual bicylce event is still held using the same roads as those used in 1962 and 66.

image-2022-11-07-140307157.png

Photo late 1961

circuito-porto-1966-r16.jpg

Circuit map from 1966 programme

image-2022-11-07-141714214.png

Modern overlay of Lordelo

Lordelo-programme.png

Cheers all

Many Thanks!!!! I had some of those pictures, but the aerial view was unknown to me.

You're Portuguese?

#9 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 1,179 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 15:21

Two really wonderfully informative posts.  Thank you both very much indeed.

I covered the 1969 Vila Real 6-Hour race for 'Autosport' and found everything about racing in Portugal pretty much mind blowing - right from quite a massive fight over parc fermé requirements between some entrants/drivers/mechanics and the police - lapping the quite extraordinary public road circuit with Willie Green in his yellow GT40 and being super careful of what seemed to be the 50-foot precipice immediately behind the pits which really concentrated the mind upon watching where you were walking.  Most memorably at one point mid-race I asked David Piper "How's it going?" - and he, never impressed by journos, just glared at me and growled: "Really? Have you been paying attention?".

Race winners Piper/Craft in Al de Cadenet's Porsche 908/02.  Ahem.

The journey there had also been interesting - flight diverted from nearby Oporto to distant Lisbon due to massive electrical storms, then a taxi ride overnight - 246 miles to Vila Real, part of it through said storms, and punctuated by a search for a hospital for one of my travelling companions who'd developed a massive (and I mean massive) and apparently unstaunchable nose bleed.  We found a country hospital about 6 in the morning.  A medic answered the doorbell (!) wearing white scrubs, with bloodstains down the front...  

Our poor girl disappeared within, but after a good 2-3 minutes we heard a scream and she came rushing back out pursued by the concerned sawbones. She explained that the place was absolutely filthy and no way would she be treated there.  So we packed back into the cab and the bemused driver pressed on.  Fortunately the shock stopped the nosebleed.  

Oh yes - I remember racing in Portugal quite vividly...

DCN

Oh really?? I'd love to hear more about those adventure and, if you allow, I may publish on my website, giving due credits to you!!

Portugal wasn't a properly developed coluntry, we were even below the standards of some Communist countries and even Turkey on some indices. Police was used to keep tight order on a country living under a dictatorship and where the dissatisfaction was increasingly obvious, as the regime failed to open up in 1968 as they promised and the Colonial War dragged on.

Portugal was also a very rural country and our roads, which were quite good when they were built, were now below par with Western Europe too. There were few modern facilities on small towns and villages. And we were a poor countru. Life in Angolan and Mozambique cities was far more vibrant and modern than in Portugal proper.

#10 AJB2

AJB2

• 22 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 15:32

A fair smattering of British cars among the ‘specators’ in the original video.

#11 Porsche718

Porsche718

• 865 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 19:37

Oh really?? I'd love to hear more about those adventure and, if you allow, I may publish on my website, giving due credits to you!!

I think the stories and "adventures" of DCN whilst on assignment would fill many books, and many websites!!!

... and would be the most enjoyable read. :p

Something like ... "My Life On The Road" by DCN. Can't wait.

#12 Porsche718

Porsche718

• 865 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 19:50

You're Portuguese?

Sorry Guilherme, I missed your last question.

No, not Portuguese, Australian.

But I have developed an interest in all motor sport in the Portuguese outposts such as the Macau and Guia races.

BTW - can you post any photos of the Formula 3 race at the '66 meeting. They seem to be hard to find.

Steve W

#13 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 1,179 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 22:10

Sorry Guilherme, I missed your last question.

No, not Portuguese, Australian.

But I have developed an interest in all motor sport in the Portuguese outposts such as the Macau and Guia races.

BTW - can you post any photos of the Formula 3 race at the '66 meeting. They seem to be hard to find.

Steve W

Ahhh OK. I found some photos of Kevin Bartlett some months ago. Portugal had a vibrant scenario, despite the usual lack of money and no permanent facilities until Estoril was built in 1972. We were more famous in rallies because the Portuguese Rally always counted for ERC or WRC, and we could compete with the best. Also, it was more attractive to manufacturers.