* * * - - 6 votes

2023 AMG Mercedes-Petronas F1 Team Thread

• Please log in to reply
7358 replies to this topic

#1 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 3,478 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 14:48

With the release of the signing of Mick Schumacher as Reserve Driver, I thought it appropriate to start the 2023 AMG Mercedes-Petronas F1 Team Thread.  This will be a gut check year for the teams personnel as RUS outscore HAM in their maiden season together and continuing to work together to overcome the legacy of the dreadful W13.

https://www.autospor...-2023/10411683/

Advertisement

#2 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 528 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 15:05

Interesting appointment of Mick Schumacher, if his sim times are visibly off George and Lewis then he may cost himself any chance of returning to the grid.  Still, at least he can't crash the simulator!

#3 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 4,967 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 15:16

Interesting appointment of Mick Schumacher, if his sim times are visibly off George and Lewis then he may cost himself any chance of returning to the grid.  Still, at least he can't crash the simulator!

Mick says hold my beer... :lol:

#4 jonklug

jonklug

• 506 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 16:35

I think this is the perfect place for Mick to grow and continue his development. Will probably also mean some FP1 sessions over the season. 

#5 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,567 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 16:49

I think this is the perfect place for Mick to grow and continue his development. Will probably also mean some FP1 sessions over the season. 

I believe in this too.

He will have a multiple champion and probably a future champion to look the data and the work ethic.

It will be good for the kid.

#6 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,853 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 17:17

Not so sure about that. Teams will need to use a rookie for two sessions, and other than that, few teams run other drivers in practice. Usually only when they have ones that pay quite a bit for it (Orlen - Kubica). I'd be surprised if Schumacher gets a single FP.

#7 Brian60

Brian60

• 579 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 17:39

Ham and Rus dreading the day they have to hand over their car to him for an hour.

#8 lewislorenzo

lewislorenzo

• 3,746 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 17:45

Ham and Rus dreading the day they have to hand over their car to him for an hour.

Best to do it in Paul Ricard

#9 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 18:53

Cant. Not on calendar

#10 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,085 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 19:48

Cant. Not on calendar

Even better then ;)

#11 lewislorenzo

lewislorenzo

• 3,746 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 19:58

Cant. Not on calendar

Oh yeah I forgot😅

Edited by lewislorenzo, 15 December 2022 - 21:13.

#12 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 08:22

I don't foresee a young Felipe Massa-esque turnaround for Mick. There's just not enough track time nowadays. 

#13 Huffer

Huffer

• 3,533 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 09:19

I crash sims all the time! But then again, it's my code that's causing the crash, so it's probably not the same...

Edited by Huffer, 16 December 2022 - 09:20.

#14 sheSgoTthElooK

sheSgoTthElooK

• 3,289 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 09:37

So, we got a little baby boy (Mick) in our squad now, so we gonna make a man out of him. The best school you can enter... 

I'm hyped up for 2023. I don't see anyone else winning it than Mercedes... and I ain't kidding here. It's our time now and it's gonna be lit ...  :smoking:

#15 Nathan

Nathan

• 6,841 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 13:10

In a Williams? I don't see why would Merc would use one of their cars, they need to focus on championships.

#16 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,345 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 13:14

In a Williams? I don't see why would Merc would use one of their cars, they need to focus on championships.

Isn't there a rule that they have to do it at some point in the season for each car?

Edit: Actually, Mick wouldn't qualify for that. 

Edited by garoidb, 16 December 2022 - 13:16.

#17 Red5ive

Red5ive

• 1,743 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 13:27

I think the only way Schumacher will get in the car at a GP weekend is if one of the 2 drivers is out of the weekend for some reason.

#18 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,521 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 14:05

#19 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,567 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 00:44

Mick Schumacher is for me a very interesting personal situation.

I cheered against his father much of my racing life, for my despair, because he was a beast doing that stints in races and winning, he was so supreme with the regs that came in 1994.

So I was a kid and Senna fan, Senna died and there was this new, young, now King, and so strong rival to come and dominate F1. He was the driver that i wouldn't cheer at all, Schumacher was absolutely in the adversary camp

So, if i had to cheer for Hakkinen or Montoya, i would be there with Mclaren always and anybody else against Ferrari always.

But i see Mick, i like the kid, i really like him...  i feel he has a very huge responsability now with his family, with his father in this situation that we know. I didn't like to see his sad eyes this year, even with all the money i feel like he is carrying a lot, a lot, of responsibilities and duties now in life that he will have to deal and surpass like all of us is doing.

I wish good to him, on Formula 1 and out of it too.

I must say that, a Lewis Hamilton's son coming to the racing world, would be interesting too, for many people i am sure.

Edited by Boxerevo, 18 December 2022 - 00:47.

Advertisement

#20 Lesky

Lesky

• 730 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:06

Whats the nature of Lewis Hamiltons relationship with Mick Schumacher? 

I recall Mick biting back in the media saying his father is the best ever and not Lewis.

I also remember Lewis telling the media that Mick had reached out to him about black lifes matter and that kind of stuff and wanted to listen, learn and educate himself which Lewis highly appreciated.

Mick seems like down to earth friendly bloke, so I would not expect any issues, but the Schumacher Vs Hamilton debate is pretty wild from time to time! Of course that is from the outside :-)

Edited by Lesky, 18 December 2022 - 09:09.

#21 baddog

baddog

• 29,677 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:30

I cannot imagine a driver and a driver's son having ANY beef whatsoever about the respective status of the father and the current veteran. That would be crazy.

#22 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:47

I recall Mick biting back in the media saying his father is the best ever and not Lewis.

It would be rather surprising if he did not, wouldn't it?

#23 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 9,280 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 15:15

Whats the nature of Lewis Hamiltons relationship with Mick Schumacher? 

I also remember Lewis telling the media that Mick had reached out to him about black lifes matter and that kind of stuff and wanted to listen, learn and educate himself which Lewis highly appreciated.

Mick seems like down to earth friendly bloke, so I would not expect any issues, but the Schumacher Vs Hamilton debate is pretty wild from time to time! Of course that is from the outside :-)

No beef. At the beginning of this year, Mick even noted that Lewis has been open and given him advice.

https://racingnews36...o-giving-advice

Doubt there was a lot of interaction but seems like they have a good enough relationship so far, given that they’re decades apart and drove for different teams at the time.

I seriously doubt the Mick reserve driver signing is anything more than a token act by Mercedes to honour Schumi’s memory and an easy bit of PR. Mick simply isn’t and never will be in the conversation for anything more than a mid-tier driver and that’s only if he improves 300% from current. He’s not going to become a Merc driver unless the team falls down to Williams level.

#24 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,443 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 15:45

It would be rather surprising if he did not, wouldn't it?

It was barely a bite back. Most drivers on the grid have different opinions.

#25 ToniF1

ToniF1

• 1,528 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 10:26

Mercedes F1 not looking for direct Vowles replacement

Speaking during a media briefing on Friday, Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said: “There is no gap left behind, because for many years we have discussed the succession planning in this area.

“We've been very reliant on James' visibility, and we put an emphasis a few years ago on how that would continue if he one day would decide to do something else, whether within Mercedes or outside. James was very good in setting that up.

“We have an extremely talented team of strategists. We have nine people, some very senior, that are not always on the front line, and some that have grown within the organisation.

“They have flown the airplane now alone in the last six months, and before that already very much just under James's supervision. So I feel very comfortable in the structure going forward. And it’s not that suddenly a big weakness has been created.”

With the strategy team already well settled, Mercedes is expected to simply redistribute Vowles' other areas of work among individuals at Brackley.

https://www.motorspo...ement/10420515/

Wolff: New Hamilton F1 deal will be sorted in a "few hours"

Speaking to selected media including Motorsport.com at the United States Grand Prix, Hamilton had said: “We are going to do another deal.

“We're going to sit down and we're going to discuss it in these next couple of months, I would say.”

But despite both parties being eager to get things sorted to avoid contract talks distracting it from the forthcoming season, nothing has yet been agreed.

That is mainly because Hamilton and Wolff went their own separate ways for Christmas holidays and they have not been in each other’s company since.

However, ahead of February’s car launch and the start of pre-season testing, Wolff anticipated that the opportunity would come up for them to get things across the line.

“We have a full year to go,” said Wolff. “We're so aligned.

“In the last 10 years our relationship has grown that it's just a matter of him physically being back in Europe, sticking our heads together, wrestling a bit and then leaving the room with white smoke after a few hours.”

https://www.motorspo...hours/10420649/

#26 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,567 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 11:06

In the past i believed Lewis would retire in 2020/2021.

It is good news to see that he talks about the possibility of 5 more years. Very good news.

With a competitive car, i will really enjoy for sure. I absolutely hope so. The ride was so good, so good to me, why not more.

I saw too how Schumacher missed the adrenaline\challenge and came back later, so i hope Lewis can stay and burn every desire that he will still have as formula 1 driver.

At least he is looking in good physically, the main problem is motivation. He survived 2021\2022, i believe he can race 5 more years if he really wants it.

Retiring with 43 years.

Edited by Boxerevo, 14 January 2023 - 11:12.

#27 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,345 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 11:11

Mercedes F1 not looking for direct Vowles replacement

https://www.motorspo...ement/10420515/

So, Mercedes will have the benefit of the same standard of strategic prowess that they have enjoyed up to now, thanks to their commendable attention to succession planning. There is nothing to worry about!

#28 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,034 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 22:46

So my excitement at the news of JV leaving has now been massively killed off, more of the same shite it seems.

#29 lewislorenzo

lewislorenzo

• 3,746 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 23:56

Lets hope the car this year can mask the strategy issues

#30 vlado

vlado

• 3,818 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 17:58

Lets hope the car this year can mask the strategy issues

They need to hire someone with the right skill set like Ignacio Rueda  :up:

#31 lewislorenzo

lewislorenzo

• 3,746 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 18:06

They need to hire someone with the right skill set like Ignacio Rueda :up:

He is invaluable to ferrari.

#32 ToniF1

ToniF1

• 1,528 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 16:37

Shovlin about Lewis

“I’ve worked with Lewis now for a long time and he is a driver who has a really impressive feel for what the car is doing,” Shovlin told Motorsport.com in an exclusive interview.

“If you can get the car where he needs it to be, we know far and well what he’s capable of. And, yeah, we’ve worked with each other for sufficiently long enough that we can have whatever conversations need to be had.

“We all like to think we develop as we go through our careers, and if you knew what you know today 10 years ago, then I think we’d all have been more successful.

“Lewis, as a driver, puts an awful lot of effort into looking for where that edge is going to come from. That constant searching for how he can emerge into a new season as an even better driver than the one that we had before is just borne out of his love of winning.

“He doesn’t want to be beaten. He’s very engaged with the engineering process now, he’s talking to all [engineering departments] – on the aerodynamics side, and vehicle dynamics side.

“He’s very familiar with all the people within the team and he knows where to go to ask questions and give feedback. Ultimately, it’s a problem that we’ll all solve together.”

Shovlin thinks that where Hamilton has improved the most is in working out in which areas he needs to devote his key efforts to extract more from a car – and more importantly how to get the team to deliver what he needs.

“I think the mechanism by which he is always looking to improve has always been there, the difference is he has realised how much more he can draw out of the team and the people around him to help that learning and that improvement phase,” explained Shovlin.

“And that’s the thing: he’s become more and more comfortable and settled within the team, and confident and happy to go and speak to different people about different areas. He’s just drawing more effectively on the resource.

“But, ultimately, if he finds an area that he thinks he’s not good enough at, he just solves it by hard work.

“The amount of work a driver has to do these days out of the car, the homework – understanding what the tyres are going to do, what do I need to be doing to manage them well, how am I going to get them at the right window in qualifying – that workload is much higher than it’s ever been.

“And very often you’ll see Lewis as being one of the last drivers to, if not the last driver, to leave the paddock. He’s just going round and round, making sure he knows what it is he needs to do.”

And so on https://www.motorspo...cedes/10422030/

Big money for Lewis from Ineos if this is true, but just a rumour for now...

According to sports business outlet Sportune,  Hamilton has been offered a €70m (£62m) per season salary.

It would mark a significant upgrade to his current deal, which reportedly is €45m (£40m).

However, the report says that, unlike his existing contract, the new extension wouldn’t include a €25m (£22m) bonus for being crowned World Champion.

The reported deal that Mercedes is offering Hamilton is said to cover the 2024 and 2025 seasons, meaning he would bag €140m (£123m) in just two years.

It would also see Hamilton continue in F1 into his 40s, with the Briton turning 38 earlier this month.

The French report says that the salary would largely be paid by sponsor Ineos, who has a one-third equal share of the Mercedes F1 team.

https://www.motorspo...cedes-contract/

Edited by ToniF1, 19 January 2023 - 16:39.

#33 lewislorenzo

lewislorenzo

• 3,746 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 11:52

Supposedly the new pirellis will induce less understeer. Will be interesting to see if that advantages Lewis.

#34 sheSgoTthElooK

sheSgoTthElooK

• 3,289 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 14:56

I wonder what kind of contract Lewis will sign... he could wait around until mid season (I mean HE IS LEWIS not some random guy) ...

but then again he also can add a paragraph in case he gets the title and want to quit in style... Mercedes will go along anyways...

Edited by sheSgoTthElooK, 23 January 2023 - 14:57.

#35 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,733 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 16:39

I wonder what kind of contract Lewis will sign... he could wait around until mid season (I mean HE IS LEWIS not some random guy) ...

but then again he also can add a paragraph in case he gets the title and want to quit in style... Mercedes will go along anyways...

They will string it out for most of the season like last time then sign the expected two year extension. It gets a lot of free column inches, and constant rumours will keep them at the top of the news. 

#36 mstar

mstar

• 1,833 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 18:35

lewis wants a pay rise but i think merc want to pay less (obviously).  I wonder how it turn out, i am thinking merc want to see how the start of the season goes see how lewis performs as they dont want another vettel situation as like in Ferrari with lec. 

#37 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,345 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 19:14

lewis wants a pay rise but i think merc want to pay less (obviously).  I wonder how it turn out, i am thinking merc want to see how the start of the season goes see how lewis performs as they dont want another vettel situation as like in Ferrari with lec. 

If that is the thinking, it is also highly dependent on how George performs. Mid-season should give some indication of whether he is likely to be close to or even a bit ahead of Lewis in the points standings. Mercedes would probably like to see Lewis prevail over George in at least some of the seasons if thinking about a long term contract. I am assuming Lewis will want to come out of the blocks strongly next season. He will want to get a win or two on the boards too, particularly if George is in the mix for them too. A good start would take away the annoyance of having to reel him back in, and get back to business as usual without having to keep an eye on George's points accrual. The car could be competitive too, so Lewis could be closing in on eighth title before too long (edit: once he is beating George, obviously). 

Edited by garoidb, 24 January 2023 - 19:22.

#38 JL14

JL14

• 588 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 21:03

Last week there was also an article stating Lewis asked for $25 million a year and Merc came back with a contract for $35 million a year, giving him $10 million more than he asked.  :stoned:

#39 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 4,982 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 21:54

I wonder how long Merc will want to pay Lewis bumper contracts, if he does keep finishing behind Russell? Difficult to predict, for sure, but I think there’s a bit of pressure on LH this year.

Advertisement

#40 lewislorenzo

lewislorenzo

• 3,746 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 23:20

I wonder how long Merc will want to pay Lewis bumper contracts, if he does keep finishing behind Russell? Difficult to predict, for sure, but I think there’s a bit of pressure on LH this year.

There’s been pressure on him every year since he came into motorsport…

#41 SlipperyDiff

SlipperyDiff

• 75 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 23:26

People still come to see Hamilton. Georgie isn't at his popularity level yet.

Edited by SlipperyDiff, 24 January 2023 - 23:28.

#42 danmills

danmills

• 3,147 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 00:26

Bold early prediction... Lewis signs 2 years and retires in 2025.

Mclaren promote Ugo Ugochukwu. 

Norris moves to Mercedes.

Fatty ate the Mars bar.

Job done. 

Edited by danmills, 25 January 2023 - 00:32.

#43 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 4,982 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 07:02

You could say the same about the majority of F1 drivers. 

I feel like there’s particular pressure on him this year. Last year could be considered a blip, but if he loses out again this year, questions will be asked.

#44 baddog

baddog

• 29,677 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 07:31

2022 was relatively low pressure. No chance at all at the championship, a pretty new teammate. *shrug*

#45 Rumblestrip

Rumblestrip

• 1,452 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 08:50

Last week there was also an article stating Lewis asked for $25 million a year and Merc came back with a contract for $35 million a year, giving him $10 million more than he asked.  :stoned:

Reminds me of the legend of Seth Johnson's contract negotiations...

Johnson's transfer was the epitome of everything that was wrong with Leeds in the early 2000s. His contract negotiations became the stuff of legend after the club apparently paid almost three times what Johnson demanded in the summer of 2001.

Going into negotiations, Johnson's agent apparently informed the player that he could expect a raise on his £5,000-a-week wages to around £13,000. As they sat down to negotiate with Peter Ridsdale, the Leeds chairman made his opening offer: "I'm sorry, I can only offer you £30,000 a week."

Shocked by the massive offer, Johnson's agent reportedly said nothing for a few moments. Ridsdale panicked, thinking he had insulted him with such a low offer, and quickly upped the offer to £37,000. Jackpot.

#46 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 09:24

I know it is all hearsay and rumour, but I thought he had been getting a lot more than that in recent years?

#47 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,034 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 10:55

You could say the same about the majority of F1 drivers. 

I feel like there’s particular pressure on him this year. Last year could be considered a blip, but if he loses out again this year, questions will be asked.

Last year wasn't a blip though, he was as quick and good as he has ever been. He was the better and quicker driver last season imo. I do agree that Lewis needs to finish ahead of George in 23 but I doubt there is a 'particular pressure' on him.

For what its worth, I think George will be much of the same. Very good and not too far behind Lewis but ultimately just short of him, only with the points tally demonstrating it this time. I would be encouraged if George could do this and add a few weekends where he was clearly better than Lewis. Something he didn't do last season but all other teammates of Lewis have done.

I am really looking forward to 2023 and I am glad to see Lewis is still looking to stick around.

#48 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 11:48

Last year wasn't a blip though, he was as quick and good as he has ever been. He was the better and quicker driver last season imo. I do agree that Lewis needs to finish ahead of George in 23 but I doubt there is a 'particular pressure' on him.

For what its worth, I think George will be much of the same. Very good and not too far behind Lewis but ultimately just short of him, only with the points tally demonstrating it this time. I would be encouraged if George could do this and add a few weekends where he was clearly better than Lewis. Something he didn't do last season but all other teammates of Lewis have done.

I am really looking forward to 2023 and I am glad to see Lewis is still looking to stick around.

Excellent piece of historical revisionism. 

"Very good and not too far behind Lewis but ultimately just short of him" is exactly what people were pontificating this time last year about the 2022 season, before Russell led Lewis on points for the entire year and took Mercedes' only race victory into the bargain.  George Russell BEAT Sir Lewis Hamilton fair and square in 2022.  People need to just accept this and move on and stop trying to re-write history. 

#49 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,733 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 11:54

"Very good and not too far behind Lewis but ultimately just short of him" is exactly what people were pontificating this time last year about the 2022 season, before Russell led Lewis on points for the entire year and took Mercedes' only race victory into the bargain. George Russell BEAT Sir Lewis Hamilton fair and square in 2022. People need to just accept this and move on and stop trying to re-write history.

Indeed, and in his first season in a new team, which in recent history has shown to be difficult for a driver, especially against a teammate who is established there.

Whilst on pace Hamilton was marginally ahead of Russell on balance throughout the year, there is no reason to believe that Russell won't get closer this year. I think those expecting him to fall back or not progress will be in for a surprise. Especially now he has a years worth of data at what Hamilton was doing in the same car as him.

#50 lewislorenzo

lewislorenzo

• 3,746 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 12:23

"Very good and not too far behind Lewis but ultimately just short of him" is exactly what people were pontificating this time last year about the 2022 season, before Russell led Lewis on points for the entire year and took Mercedes' only race victory into the bargain. George Russell BEAT Sir Lewis Hamilton fair and square in 2022. People need to just accept this and move on and stop trying to re-write history.

The points didn’t tell the full story just like Alonso vs Ocon last year and Charles vs Sainz in 2021👍🏾