Birch brothers, sidecar racers 1960s

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lothar

Lothar

• 47 posts

Posted 24 February 2023 - 17:38

Hi all,

Allen Birch (rider) and his brother Peter Birch (passenger) raced a BMW Rennsport (valve operation by bevel shaft) powered sidecar outfit in 1963 and 1964 as far as I know.

Is it true that Allen was one-legged? What had happened to him?

They had a dragonfly sticker on their fairing in 1963, front, over racing number, blue fairing. In 1964 they had a different fairing, white.

Peter Cropper replaced Peter Birch as passenger at some races in 1964.

Does anyone of you know who the previous owner of that outfit (and BMW RS engine) was and where it went after that?

Thank you and kind regards

Advertisement

#2 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 24 February 2023 - 18:35

Seems Alan lost a leg in a road accident in 1959. Sadly Peter would die in a road accident 12 years later

Manx Nostalgia | I am sharing this from a Facebook group where I live in Cheshire, because I know that many of you will be interested to read the story of the Birch br... | Facebook

Motorsport Memorial - Peter Birch

#3 Lothar

Lothar

• 47 posts

Posted 25 February 2023 - 08:08

Thank you.

It seems there were quite a few handicapped racers in those days.

In Germany there were Franz Vaasen, Alwin Ritter, Heinz Luthringshauser, Johann Attenberger.

#4 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 25 February 2023 - 21:28

Perhaps a legacy from WWII ?

#5 Lothar

Lothar

• 47 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 17:48

Franz Vaasen lost his right (?) leg in race track race in 1947 which was the end of his solo career. From then on he only raced sidecars.

Alwin Ritter had lost his right leg. I don't know when/where/how. Gearshift and rear brake lever on the left side.

Heinz Luthringshauser lost the lower part of his left leg in a car crash in late 1961.

Johann Attenberger had a stiff left knee from an accident in childhood days. Gearshift nad rear brake lever on the right like Luthringshauser.