Photo

Wrong 'Bloke'

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 11:59

According to 'Bike Sport News' Australian ex-GP star Gary McCoy is 'returning to' the 2023 NW 200 in May. https://bikesportnew...-set-for-nw200/

Good on 'yer' Gazza, at 50 years old 'returning' to the NW 200 where you have never raced.

Could this 'Gary McCoy' have less than the expected Aussie twang and a little more of the Ulster growl about the voice if interviewed? https://www.northwes...north-west-200/

Any other wrong 'bloke/person' stories?   

Edited by tonyed, 12 April 2023 - 12:00.

Advertisement

#2 brands77

brands77

• 136 posts

Posted 13 April 2023 - 10:58

Staying with Antipodeans, around 2000 there was a Glen Williams, who raced out of Auckland, who was one of the top Kiwi domestic riders. I always assumed that he was the same as Glenn Williams of NZ who raced Ducatis and Kawasakis in World Superbikes in the late '80s and early '90s. I was never completely sure if they were the same person though and the spelling of their first names were different.

#3 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 09:27

At least they remember the old heroes! Much preferable to reading about Ohio Sprint car owner Ralph de Palma, with no syllable mentioning the fact that it is not the Ralph de Palma!!

But I'm sure I have seen examples of 'wrong bloke', too. But, other than the case of "the other" Austrian actor Helmut Berger, they just won't come to mind...

#4 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 09:52

But, other than the case of "the other" Austrian actor Helmut Berger, they just won't come to mind...

Any relation to the "Helmut Berger" James Hunt used to talk about on the BBC Grand Prix coverage  :D

#5 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:07

The police seemed to mistake me for Stirling Moss...

#6 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:18

Any relation to the "Helmut Berger" James Hunt used to talk about on the BBC Grand Prix coverage  :D

Well, Berger IS a frequent family name in Austria, and many subforms of it, too - Attenberger, Leitenberger, Oachkatzlschwoafberger... The 'real' Helmut Berger was, apparently, born Helmut Steinberger! [not Helmut Gerhardberger, though  ;)

#7 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 14:26

I am frequently mistaken for the person I am but NOT the person I would like to be which I find not only annoying but intensely insulting.  :evil:  :smoking:

#8 GregThomas

GregThomas

• 244 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 18:52

Staying with Antipodeans, around 2000 there was a Glen Williams, who raced out of Auckland, who was one of the top Kiwi domestic riders. I always assumed that he was the same as Glenn Williams of NZ who raced Ducatis and Kawasakis in World Superbikes in the late '80s and early '90s. I was never completely sure if they were the same person though and the spelling of their first names were different.

Yeah, they are separate individuals. I've met them both. No idea what Glen the first is doing now haven't heard of him for years. Was very much the battle hardened veteran of British short circuits and any other event he could get an entry for.

Best incident of mistaken identity I know of was Robbie Deans at Wanganui. He'd had quite a big off after getting caught up in catch fencing on the bridge approaching the start line. Well caught on the TV broadcast too.He was sitting out the back of his pit quietly bleeding and waiting for the world to stop spinning when the Steward came past to see how he was. Steward saw his twin brother out front of the pit straightening the bike and said " Oh good, Robbie, you're ok to start the next race then "

He really wasn't - but did anyway.

#9 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 01:25

I suppose one of the worst cases of mistaken identity happened at last years TT with the sidecar crew of César Chanal and Olivier Lavorel where the wrong person was said to have died. As it turned out sadly, in the end, they both died.  

#10 brands77

brands77

• 136 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 07:44

Wasn't Stan Woods, the ex-Suzuki works rider, mistakenly believed to be the son of Stanley Woods early on in his career. A belief that Stan apparently didn't discourage as it proved to be quite useful for him.

#11 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 09:58

Wouldn't he have been Stanley Woods the 2nd.