Monaco 2023: Alonso's pit for more dry tyres

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 14:55

No time for a big thread but was how much of a blunder was Alonso's first pitstop as the rain was coming in? Did he lose a chance at a win? Was it a risk worth taking?

Advertisement

#2 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 14:56

With the gap after Max stopped, in think Fernando would have been in the lead had they gone straight to inters. Big mistake but easily made in such tricky conditions.

#3 Borko

Borko

• 2,231 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 14:58

They wanted to secure the second place, it's easy to be smart now

#4 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 1,391 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:01

It would have won them the race, and yes it was risky to pit for inters. Stay out, then! Wait and see, he had plenty of room behind. Worst case, he stays second (or he crashes, but then why pit and take dries anyway?).

If you pit at that moment, you take inters. It was a bad, I would say terrible call.

Edited by Ferrim, 28 May 2023 - 15:01.

#5 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:02

Yeah, they blinked one lap too early. But I guess not totally incomprehensible given that they were on probably the worst tyres of anybody, old hards.

#6 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,209 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:04

It was a big blunder. It was very clear they had to go for inters.

#7 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,209 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:04

Yeah, they blinked one lap too early. But I guess not totally incomprehensible given that they were on probably the worst tyres of anybody, old hards.

Max was on mediums.

#8 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:06

They could get all the data from Stroll on inters, but he palpably was not good enough to exploit them, and presumably was feeding back that there was no advantage.  The risks of nepotism.

#9 Primo

Primo

• 2,678 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:07

The blunder was when they did not stop for an undercut at Lap 45-46. With new mediums, he would have been faster when the rain came AND known when to stop for Inters. Keeping him out made zero sense.

#10 Showty

Showty

• 2,184 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:09

They wanted to secure the second place, it's easy to be smart now

There was absolutely no threat behind him that justifies that pit stop.

If any, this call was that threat.

Edited by Showty, 28 May 2023 - 15:10.

#11 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,515 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:09

Made zero sense, I think they threw the win away.

#12 Ruudbackus

Ruudbackus

• 2,145 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:13

It was a wrong call but I don't think it costs them the victory. I wonder whose call it was to go to mediums. Was it the pitwall or was it Alonso's

#13 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:15

There was absolutely no threat behind him that justifies that pit stop.

If any, this call was that threat.

The threat was Alonso dropping it in wet conditions on old dry tyres. It was a bad call, but let's not pretend they did it for no reason at all.

#14 Ruudbackus

Ruudbackus

• 2,145 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:18

It was pretty clear Verstappen was going to keep his tyres alive to react to a possible pitstop from Ashton and make them pit first. I think thats what they tried to do here, to push Redbull into a pitstop too, but by the time Max finished that lap the rain was to heavy to go on slicks for redbull.

Redbull always had the upper hand strategy wise, they could react to what ashton behind was doing. Had Ashton pitted earlier, RedBull would have reacted the lap thereafter. 

#15 Showty

Showty

• 2,184 posts

The threat was Alonso dropping it in wet conditions on old dry tyres. It was a bad call, but let's not pretend they did it for no reason at all.

You said it yourself.

Alonso dropping it in wet conditions on old dry tyres.

So you just don't send him out there again, in wet conditions, on dry tyres.

Of course, there must be a reason, we might never get to know it or understand it.

#16 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,209 posts

This does not make any sense.

#17 balaclava

balaclava

• 378 posts

Lance being utterly useless had the team lost. Just after Alo pitted teams started to put inters on.

#18 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:19

You said it yourself.

Alonso dropping it in wet conditions on old dry tyres.

So you just don't send him out there again, in wet conditions, on dry tyres.

Of course, there must be a reason, we might never get to know it or understand it.

If they believed the rain would stop, fresh dry tyres over old dry tyres makes a lot of sense. Had they been right, they would have looked like geniuses. But they reacted too soon, and it didn't transpire that way.

#19 WKAYE

WKAYE

• 514 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:23

It was a wrong call but I don't think it costs them the victory. I wonder whose call it was to go to mediums. Was it the pitwall or was it Alonso's

The call was from the Pitwall. Alonso asked if they shouldn't be going for inters. It was on the world feed.

Advertisement

#20 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,209 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:27

If they believed the rain would stop, fresh dry tyres over old dry tyres makes a lot of sense. Had they been right, they would have looked like geniuses. But they reacted too soon, and it didn't transpire that way.

No it wouldn't be a genius move. What they did was very stupid in any circumstance. Either you stay out and wait like Max did or gamble early and put on inters. And that gamble was a very safe gamble.

#21 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:31

No it wouldn't be a genius move. What they did was very stupid in any circumstance. Either you stay out and wait like Max did or gamble early and put on inters. And that gamble was a very safe gamble.

Staying out came with a lot of risk on those tyres. Verstappen hit the barrier, but got away with it. They weren't sitting in a luxurious position, but a fraught one.

So while they got the call wrong, which was a big shame, I really don't think it was as totally stupid as I'm reading here.

#22 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:35

The only thing that makes ever sense to me is if Alonso had getting stuck behind any other car that was still running dry tyres. But then, was that even possible? If it's too dry, then the slicks would been faster, had it rained harder the inters would have eaten the dry tyre car. So

maybe the strategy team was new to this scenario and the thing messed up completely?

#23 AncientLurker

AncientLurker

• 728 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:35

Should have gone to inters and risked it for the win. They had the time in hand for a second stop, as demonstrated, so it was not a huge gamble if it didn’t work. The bigger gamble was not going for the win. Huge mistake.

#24 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,209 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:37

Staying out came with a lot of risk on those tyres. Verstappen hit the barrier, but got away with it. They weren't sitting in a luxurious position, but a fraught one.

So while they got the call wrong, which was a big shame, I really don't think it was as totally stupid as I'm reading here.

So many were hitting the walls and such but lets go in to put on DRY tires. And you are saying it wasn't a stupid move. Like I said you make no sense. You either wait till the very last moment like Max did who was on even worse tires or you put on inters. It is not complicated and also has nothing to do with hindsight.

#25 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:37

Marko said on Servus TV that even if ALO did go to the inters immediately, they would have been in front.
Krack said that the rain was not on the radar and it just started really after they pitted. They thought it will be a short shower, but they didn't want to risk it with old hards in the rain. No chance against VER in the dry, ALO managed, but VER managed too and was able to pull away...

Further updates in Barcelona and Montreal.

Here Krack confirms exactly what I have been speculating. They probably weren't even thinking about Verstappen and the win, as much as us fans would like, but protecting themselves.

#26 flyboym3

flyboym3

• 2,040 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:40

Its irrelevant the AM was too slow to be a threat, Alonso easily got dropped.

All rbr was going to do was mimic Alonso strategy and keep their lead. Brawn has shown us countless times how to do it from p1.

#27 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:43

I've checked live timing and yes they lost the win.

Alonso was 8s behind when he pit. He gained 5s even on his new Mediums. Inters would have been even better.

Max's inlap was really bad. Tsunoda on inters caught up by 8s in S2 alone.

#28 Ruudbackus

Ruudbackus

• 2,145 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:46

The call was from the Pitwall. Alonso asked if they shouldn't be going for inters. It was on the world feed.

Ok, I somehow missed that. 

#29 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:48

It was a big mistake overshadowed then by Ferrari and Haas strategists.

#30 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,294 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:50

Opportunities like this won't come along everyday, so Aston Martin should have seized it.

#31 jwill189

jwill189

• 2,647 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:53

Fernando was in a weird spot. Although everyone on the dry tyres was losing tyre temperature, the rain had more of a negative effect on the hards. I held my breath as Alonso almost lost it in turn 7.

Alonso had to pit, and at the moment he did, the other half of the track wasn't saturated, and he was worried about burning up the inters. You can only make the best decision based on the current track conditions, so mediums did make sense at the time. It was only after he pitted did the downpour happen. Bad luck just like Russia 2021.

#32 jonklug

jonklug

• 565 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:57

Well we can obviously say it was a mistake now with information they didn't have then, but at the time it was a gamble. If the rain remains a very light drizzle that then stops completely, Fernando is in a great spot. It was just awkward and unfortunate for him. Still a great drive without putting a foot wrong all weekend.

#33 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,613 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 15:57

Really odd decision. They were running a strategy of a long first stint to give them the opportunity to take advantage of any weirdness. Then some potential weirdness started to develop, and they immediately took their flexibility off the table.

Bonkers. I understand if they thought dry tyres were the right call, they’re not clairvoyant, but if you think it’s probably dries you stay out.

#34 naukkis

naukkis

• 178 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:00

I've checked live timing and yes they lost the win.

Alonso was 8s behind when he pit. He gained 5s even on his new Mediums. Inters would have been even better.

Max's inlap was really bad. Tsunoda on inters caught up by 8s in S2 alone.

Yeah. Alonso pitted just right time for Inters - but took mediums. He was only ~17 seconds behind Max after second pit stop for Inters - with inters at first stop he would have cleared Max by big margin.

#35 Ruudbackus

Ruudbackus

• 2,145 posts

Really odd decision. They were running a strategy of a long first stint to give them the opportunity to take advantage of any weirdness. Then some potential weirdness started to develop, and they immediately took their flexibility off the table.

Bonkers. I understand if they thought dry tyres were the right call, they’re not clairvoyant, but if you think it’s probably dries you stay out.

That they explained, they feared the tyres the had on the car wouldnt have enough grip. But they didnt expect it to rain that hard. So with alonsos experience of driving slicks in the wet at Le mans, they thought mediums was the way to go with the info they had at that time.  

#36 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,026 posts

I was really angry about it. It was clear they had to put inters on, specially with the big gap behind they got nothing to lose.

#37 Ruudbackus

Ruudbackus

• 2,145 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:01

Yeah. Alonso pitted just right time for Inters - but took mediums. He was only ~17 seconds behind Max after second pit stop for Inters - with inters at first stop he would have cleared Max by big margin.

He was 22 seconds behind after that second stop, and closed it to 15-something before Max pulled away again.

#38 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,613 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:03

That they explained, they feared the tyres the had on the car wouldnt have enough grip. But they didnt expect it to rain that hard. So with alonsos experience of driving slicks in the wet at Le mans, they thought mediums was the way to go with the info they had at that time.

Thanks for the info!

Disagree with them. If you’re pitting to put the best cars on for the track at that time, actually put the best tyres on!

#39 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:04

I was really angry about it. It was clear they had to put inters on, specially with the big gap behind they got nothing to lose.

On worn tyres in increasingly wet conditions, they had everything to lose.

Advertisement

#40 naukkis

naukkis

• 178 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:04

He was 22 seconds behind after that second stop, and closed it to 15-something before Max pulled away again.

Ok stay corrected - but with Inters he could easily gained that 3 seconds he need against Max.

#41 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,209 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:07

Well we can obviously say it was a mistake now with information they didn't have then, but at the time it was a gamble. If the rain remains a very light drizzle that then stops completely, Fernando is in a great spot. It was just awkward and unfortunate for him. Still a great drive without putting a foot wrong all weekend.

I disagree completely that this has anything to do with hindsight. They made a very big blunder. Also it was clear already it wasn't a light drizzle at that time. Part of the track was already soaking wet.

#42 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,209 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:09

On worn tyres in increasingly wet conditions, they had everything to lose.

They had nothing to lose with going to inters. Tell me what they would have lost?

#43 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,484 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:10

I disagree completely that this has anything to do with hindsight. They made a very big blunder. Also it was clear already it wasn't a light drizzle at that time. Part of the track was already soaking wet.

Stroll on inters was slower than Alonso on slicks.

When Alonso was in the pit lane it started raining hard in S1/2, but at that point it was too late.

#44 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,209 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:11

When Alonso was in the pit lane it started raining hard in S1/2, but at that point it was too late.

Stroll isn't a reference. It was already completely wet at part of the track. They were losing a bucket load of time at that part of the track.

#45 kryziuotis

kryziuotis

• 185 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:13

Exactly! This decision showed that Aston Martin strategy team lacks winner mentality. To get the win you have to do something different than Max. Even if medium proved to be correct tyre, they would have gained nothing from this pit stop, because Max would still be ahead and on the same tyre. They either had to pit for inters or stayed out and hoped for a safety car.

Edited by kryziuotis, 28 May 2023 - 16:13.

#46 Ruudbackus

Ruudbackus

• 2,145 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:13

This, had they pitted 10 seconds later they would have put inters on; apparently most of the track was still dry when they pitted and in the matter of 1 lap the circuit got soaked. Also Verstappen stated that it was deteriorating really fast

#47 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,209 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:16

This, had they pitted 10 seconds later they would have put inters on; apparently most of the track was still dry when they pitted and in the matter of 1 lap the circuit got soaked. Also Verstappen stated that it was deteriorating really fast

Then why not stay out and take the right decision? Remember Max was on old mediums and Russell was on the same hard tire as Alonso

#48 Ruudbackus

Ruudbackus

• 2,145 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:17

Then why not stay out and take the right decision? Remember Max was on old mediums and Russell was on the same hard tire as Alonso

Becasue they feared it was just to wet for the old hards. And to be fair Max almost put it in the wall, so it wasnt a bad thought. So to wet for the tyres he had, and not wet enough for inters and apparently no indication of the downpoor that followed

Edited by Ruudbackus, 28 May 2023 - 16:18.

#49 Calum

Calum

• 1,138 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:18

Thought they’d have been in more of a high risk gambling mood, considering they are unlikely to beat RedBull in a normal head to head.

Easy in hindsight though isn’t it

Edited by Calum, 28 May 2023 - 16:18.

#50 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,209 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 16:20

Becasue they feared it was just to wet for the old hards. And to be fair Max almost put it in the wall, so it wasnt a bad thought. So to wet for the tyres he had, and not wet enough for inters and apparently no indication of the downpoor that followed

New dry tires wouldn't help if they feared it was too wet for the old hards. So all in all they didn't trust the ability of Alonso.