* * * * * 1 votes

2023 Spanish GP build up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
938 replies to this topic

#1 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,781 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 19:16

After a throng of semi-permanent and street tracks, F1 returns to the familiarity of Barcelona. With upgrades abound throughout the field, whether they be delayed, scheduled, or unproven from Monaco, we should find out this weekend where the grid really stands, before the races start to come thick and fast through the summer months.

It's Round 7 of the 2023 Formula One World Championship!

[image of lap 1 last year]

Spain23.jpg

The Circuit

[image of revised circuit layout]

Spain23-Circuit.png

One upgrade that doesn't need any testing is the layout - the dreaded final chicane has finally been reverted to the high-speed right handers of the original layout. This will see lap-times drop towards 1m10s in qualifying, and should make overtaking easier into turn 1, by account of the cars hitting Vmax much earlier, meaning the DRS is more effective.

The Brief for Barca

Red Bull are looking to make it seven from seven as the RB19 appears to be without weakness atop the competitive order. The sweeps and straights of Montmeló should play beautifully into their infamous aero efficiency, especially after the track tweak. Verstappen has fought off the early Checo challenge and is strong favourite once again. The aforementioned Mexican will want to bounce back after one of his worst weekends ever in Monaco.

Aston Martin arrive to Barcelona buoyant yet bittersweet after seeing an elusive victory slip through their fingers in the Monte Carlo downpour. Alonso's new-found success has reinvigorated his Spanish supporters, as memories of his last grand prix victory echo around the Catalonia circuit. Another podium should be enough to placate the home crowd, but will probably come harder to find than in Miami or Monaco. Stroll's fortunes have bizarrely juxtaposed the recovery from his wrist injury, hopefully a more conventional track will see him return to the points.

There are still several questions of Mercedes as their ImolaMonaco upgrade remains unproven. Barcelona will tell us if they've genuinely made a step in the right direction, but should nonetheless suit them better than probably any circuit we've visited thus far. Don't forget (how could you?) Hamilton's stirring comeback drive 12 months ago. Russell will be glad there's a race so soon after a scrappy and unfulfilled Monaco.

It's Ferrari's turn to take the "season-defining upgrades" mantle as new sidepods and floor adorn the SF23. Despite solid one lap speed all year, it is their race pace that has let them down, which will be laid bare come Sunday afternoon. Leclerc will remember a dominant weekend cut short this time last year. Sainz will hope he can at least battle with his illustrious countryman in the fight for the podium.

Alpine's Principality Podium couldn't have come at a better time after strong words from Laurent Rossi. The French squad have struggled for consistency at the zany street tracks, and will hope the upgrades introduced in Baku and Monaco can now bear fruit as they aim to turn the "top 4" into a top 5.

Similar can be said for McLaren, who rebounded from a disastrous Miami with a respectable enough performance last weekend. Norris' highs of 2021 and 22 seemed to have been tempered somewhat this year, but thankfully Piastri is growing well into his rookie season. Aiming for another two-car points finish.

Elsewhere, Haas will hope a more traditional track helps them keep pace with the midfield leaders. Alfa Romeo are in a similar position to other teams whereby they still need to validate upgrades from previous races, although their pace has taken a mildly positive turn. Alpha Tauri will rue Tsunoda's points-losing brake problems from Monaco, but will be pleased by De Vries overall improvement. Williams early season giant-killing has subsided, but they can still look fondly on their general pace - this time last year they locked out the back row.

Tyres and Weather

[image of pirelli graphic]

Spain23-Pirelli.jpg

Only the second time, after Bahrain, we've had the C1-2-3 combination this season. Last year's race was a majority three-stop, but in very high temperatures. This year's race should be a two-stop, not withstanding the increased loads in the final sector. Tyre pressures +0.5psi fronts and +1.0psi rears versus last year.

Each driver will be given two sets of test tyres to use across FP1 and FP2 in view of the new spec tyre due for Silverstone.

Fri - 24C/75F, dry

Sat - 23C/73F, cloudy, rain?

Sun - 23C/73F, cloudy, rain?

Schedule

BST     CEST 
FP1     1230    1330
FP2     1600    1700
FP3     1130    1230
Q       1500    1600
R       1400    1500

Convert to my time zone

Formula 2, Formula 3 supporting. Full schedule.

Edited by TomNokoe, 02 June 2023 - 11:30.

Advertisement

#2 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,781 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 19:20

Lol, I forgot about the photos bug. Whoops

#3 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,912 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 19:25

Lol, I forgot about the photos bug. Whoops

Are the DRS zones to scale in the track map image? Wow...

Edited by ARTGP, 01 June 2023 - 19:29.

#4 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,781 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 19:27

Are the DRS zones to scale in the track map image? Wow. 

Yes, I suppose because Barcelona's always had an "anti-racing" reputation, and because of the final chicane, despite the fact DRS has worked well in recent years. The speeds into T1 will be veeerrrry quick.

Edited by TomNokoe, 01 June 2023 - 19:28.

#5 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,912 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 19:30

Yes, I suppose because Barcelona's always had an "anti-racing" reputation, and because of the final chicane, despite the fact DRS has worked well in recent years. The speeds into T1 will be veeerrrry quick.

The one on the main straight seems excessive now...They will already be coming out of the final corner with a healthy slip stream effect because of the higher speeds. It reminds me of Portimao zone on steroids. 

Edited by ARTGP, 01 June 2023 - 19:33.

#6 flyboym3

flyboym3

• 2,042 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 19:33

I dunno, the drivers have repeatedly said the drs is not as effective as it used to be so they wanted the zones lengthened while the fia was ignoring them and shortening.

Edited by flyboym3, 01 June 2023 - 19:34.

#7 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,912 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 19:43

I dunno, the drivers have repeatedly said the drs is not as effective as it used to be so they wanted the zones lengthened while the fia was ignoring them and shortening.

The difference is that this is the first race where many teams are using high downforce setups outside of Monaco. Slipstreaming and DRS becomes much more powerful because of the bigger wings and the fact that the final corner can be taken at a much higher speed.  

I suspect it will be shortened after Friday. 

Edited by ARTGP, 01 June 2023 - 19:44.

#8 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,564 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 19:46

I mean the drivers were moaning the DRS zones were too short in Miami, but if anything it ended up being to powerful on Sunday.

#9 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,660 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 19:49

The front left will really suffer now that the correct circuit configuration is back in use. There are 4 very high energy right handers, plus a few medium speed ones.

Edited by Hellenic tifosi, 01 June 2023 - 19:52.

#10 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,781 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 19:50

I've had this hunch since last year that Red Bull's straight line advantage is heavily neutralised when they run their deepest RW.

It is only a hunch but to put some technical weight behind it the deeper RW I assume changes the aero profile slightly, meaning the beam-wing magic or whatever it is they do isn't as effective.

Anyway, I'm hoping this week I'm proved right/wrong either way.

#11 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,871 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 20:01

Twenty years and the track has been restored! Finally.

#12 flyboym3

flyboym3

• 2,042 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 20:02

The difference is that this is the first race where many teams are using high downforce setups outside of Monaco. Slipstreaming and DRS becomes much more powerful because of the bigger wings and the fact that the final corner can be taken at a much higher speed.

I suspect it will be shortened after Friday.

Maybe. Its a higher speed track now so some teams may not want to carry the higher downforce penalty.

Edited by flyboym3, 01 June 2023 - 20:02.

#13 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,980 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 20:04

Was this layout not traditionally shite?

I mean less chicanes is good… but barcelona was always bad. Maybe now they aren’t testing there every second day it might be better. They all used to have the setups nailed on

#14 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,871 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 20:06

Not as bad as when they changed it. They ruined the flow and excitement of the circuit and failed to improve the racing, so it's automatically better. Anyway, modern cars do better with faster corners leading to straights, rather than tight corners that string the cars out.

#15 djparky

djparky

• 2,015 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 20:13

I mean less chicanes is good… but barcelona was always bad. Maybe now they aren’t testing there every second day it might be better. They all used to have the setups nailed on

T Year 1 there was great but ever since then it's been mostly rubbish and as you say doing 1000s of laps testing there didnt help. Given this one tends to show up real performance I would expect RBR to be even further ahead than normal.

#16 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 62,149 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 20:13

Last year's race was interesting. Looking forward to seeing how things play out at a normal circuit.

#17 HighwayStar

HighwayStar

• 240 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 20:14

I've been looking forward to this grand prix for two reasons: the first being the long-awaited return to a full fat permanent racing circuit (admittedly delayed by the cancellation of the Emilia Romagna GP), which we haven't had since the season opening Bahrain GP, and the second being the restoration of the sweeping final corner last used in 2006 - good riddance to that nasty little chicane, even if the race isn't memorable it will be great to see the cars tackle that corner at speed again.

#18 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,164 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 20:19

Barca was traditionally one of the worst tracks but now it’s one that most fans are looking forward to, which says it all about the current calendar. See also: Hungaroring.

#19 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,703 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 20:21

giphy.gif

Advertisement

#20 ANF

ANF

• 29,742 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 20:30

If the processional no-DRS-but-P2P Formula Regional European Championship by Alpine (etc. etc.) races held a couple of weeks ago are anything to go by, it's still shite. The dirty air in the final two corners seemed to create gaps that were so big that they couldn't be closed on the straight. (Slipstreaming in those cars is pretty hopeless though.)

Edited by ANF, 01 June 2023 - 20:31.

#21 ANF

ANF

• 29,742 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 20:36

24) Changes to the Circuit

• Turn 1 run-off has been extended by approximately 30 meters. New walls and fences including a rescue road have been built.
  • The artificial gras has been removed in Turn 3.
  • New concrete verge at RHS entry Turn 7.
  • Tec2 high speed barriers have been added in Turn 13 and Turn 16.
  • New layout between Turn 13 and Turn 14.
  • Removal of temporary kerbs at Turn 1 apex, Turn 2 apex and run-off area, Turn 4 exit, Turn 5 apex, Turn 7 apex, Turn 9 apex and exit and Turn 12 apex.
  • Width of white line at exit Turn 12 LHS extended up to 30 cm.

Also, some details not mentioned in the FIA event notes but mentioned here https://www.european...938a35c036e63a1

• widening of the run-off area in Turn 1, including 70 more metres of gravel plus a slope of 5%,
  • and a new fence protecting Turns 1 and 2 to improve the safety of drivers.

#22 ANF

ANF

• 29,742 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 20:37

(What's the deal with those temporary kerbs?)

#23 dreamerBiH

dreamerBiH

• 997 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 20:39

According to some reports, 60-70% chance for rain on Saturday and Sunday (I was looking at forecast for Montmelo)

Edited by dreamerBiH, 01 June 2023 - 20:40.

#24 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,703 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 20:43

According to some reports, 60-70% chance for rain on Saturday and Sunday (I was looking at forecast for Montmelo)

WooHoo...  :clap:

#25 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,912 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 20:54

I see reports saying rain and others saying dry :drunk: .

Edited by ARTGP, 01 June 2023 - 20:54.

#26 ANF

ANF

• 29,742 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 21:12

At least one of them will be right.

#27 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,781 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 21:45

I was looking for video clips of Lewis driving the new (old) third sector back in GP2, and stumbled across this clip of him colliding with Premat on the last lap of the feature race! I didn't follow LH's junior career and for some reason had never seen the clip, so for my fellow LH fans (and everyone else) who are nonethewiser:

#28 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,703 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 22:17

I see reports saying rain and others saying dry :drunk: .

Don't tell Aston Martin.

#29 ozpata

ozpata

• 754 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 22:35

barcel10.png

#30 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,565 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 22:37

The Monaco-Barcelona double is traditionally a bit of a slog, but with the return to the proper final corner I'm looking forward to the race!

Might still be tedious but I'd like to see some cars trying to race, or at least a few qualifying laps, first.

#31 P123

P123

• 24,032 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 23:50

I was looking for video clips of Lewis driving the new (old) third sector back in GP2, and stumbled across this clip of him colliding with Premat on the last lap of the feature race! I didn't follow LH's junior career and for some reason had never seen the clip, so for my fellow LH fans (and everyone else) who are nonethewiser:

Turned out to be Premat's sole win of 2006.

#32 Chick0

Chick0

• 514 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 00:11

Twenty years and the track has been restored! Finally.

I personally think T1 should be a made a lot tighter,  almost like T1 chicane in Monza, or the last chicane in Suzuka.. 

#33 OO7

OO7

• 23,418 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 05:46

I don't mind rain for qualification and the race, as long as the practice sessions are dry.

#34 vista

vista

• 1,354 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 06:03

Been following F1 since 2005 and this is finally going to be my first grand prix in attendance! Absolutely can't wait and hoping for an amazing Alonso result  :wave:

#35 Laptom

Laptom

• 2,359 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 07:50

Been following F1 since 2005 and this is finally going to be my first grand prix in attendance! Absolutely can't wait and hoping for an amazing Alonso result :wave:

Would love see Alonso on the highest Podium this weekend. That would be great.

#36 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,687 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 07:56

barcel10.png

Isn't the track now the layout of 2000 ish with the restoration of the long left hander (last year) as well? So there should be an old lap record around?

GMT CET

FP1 1230 1330
FP2 1600 1700
FP3 1130 1230
Q 1500 1600
R 1400 1500

Come on F1, it is actually a challenge to have every time different for every session. Especially with races out of my own timezone, it is a chore to find the proper session times.

Edited by SenorSjon, 02 June 2023 - 07:57.

#37 Anja

Anja

• 10,384 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 08:00

Isn't the track now the layout of 2000 ish with the restoration of the long left hander (last year) as well? So there should be an old lap record around?

Not quite, the left hander is shorter than old variant - this is a nice website to compare layouts: https://www.racingci...-catalunya.html

#38 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,871 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 08:15

Yeah the new La Caixa is a bit further in than the original one, to increase runoff. The horrible hairpin was built for the 2004 race, so we’re back to the 2003 layout, effectively.

#39 Laster

Laster

• 3,956 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 08:21

Turned out to be Premat's sole win of 2006.

They let him keep that? Wow I must have really grown used to the stewards getting involved in everything, it’s difficult to remember a time when stuff like that would happen without someone getting a penalty.

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,871 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 08:25

I personally think T1 should be a made a lot tighter, almost like T1 chicane in Monza, or the last chicane in Suzuka..

To the dark room with you, for a beating!

I hope you get the reference.

#41 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,943 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 08:40

Laura Winter:

1086 F1 races. The #SpanishGP would be Alonso’s 362nd start. That is exactly one third (33.3%) of all races. It is the 33rd race at this circuit. He has garage & pit box no 33. He is going for his 33rd win, 10 years since his last. And he’s on home soil. Have the stars aligned?!

#42 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,497 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 08:54

That DRS zone is absolutely huge. It's basically a full KM and activated at pretty high speed, where the cars will shed a lot of drag.

#43 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,918 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 08:58

Laura Winter:

Aaaaand.... the race is going to be won by the guy who has #33 locked in   ;)

Edited by JeePee, 02 June 2023 - 09:17.

#44 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,687 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 08:58

Laura Winter:

The one who formerly used number 33 will prevent this.

#45 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,943 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 09:07

The one who formerly used number 33 will prevent this.

By 33s most likely!

#46 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,660 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 09:07

That DRS zone is absolutely huge. It's basically a full KM and activated at pretty high speed, where the cars will shed a lot of drag.

Hopefully they could take a look into this after FP and move the activation point.

#47 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,164 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 09:55

Hopefully they could take a look into this after FP and move the activation point.

Why? Seeing cars fly past one another unchallenged 100 times is excitement…innit.

#48 Sam1

Sam1

• 818 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 10:04

The drivers moaning every race about the DRS so its nothing new

#49 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,703 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 10:07

Been following F1 since 2005 and this is finally going to be my first grand prix in attendance! Absolutely can't wait and hoping for an amazing Alonso result  :wave:

Have an absolutely amazing time, all F1 fans should try at least once be there and experience all that F1 is, all that is felt but not seen on TV, for the sheer pomp and spectacle, and the realization of how darn fast, and how darn good the drivers and teams are.

Much as I always hope for Haas and Magnussen to spring a miracle... Vamos Fernando!!

#50 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,476 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 10:24

Have an absolutely amazing time, all F1 fans should try at least once be there and experience all that F1 is, all that is felt but not seen on TV, for the sheer pomp and spectacle, and the realization of how darn fast, and how darn good the drivers and teams are.

Much as I always hope for Haas and Magnussen to spring a miracle... Vamos Fernando!!

Top stuff, KWSN. Every time I see people condemning drivers, designers, team principals, strategists and assorted others in F1 as idiots, morons or whatever, I  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: .

Is there a sport/business more competitiveness as this? One with more degrees and doctorates per capita? Or even one with the majority of its participants more exposed to intense and repeated scrutiny of their performance under unrelenting stress?

My position is not one of sycophancy; merely one of having (I hope) some appreciation of the high level of performance we see race after race all up and down the grid.