Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Formula E goes full Indycar! | PORTLAND e-Prix

• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

Poll: Formula E goes full Indycar! | PORTLAND e-Prix (21 member(s) have cast votes)

What are you looking forward the most in Portland?

1. Formula E going full indycar! (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

2. Curious to see the cars on a proper, full traditional layout! (14 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

3. How the race will be in terms of energy management on such a track (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

4. Evans not getting t-boned by Sam Bird, for once (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Cassidy pulling off another Solo masterclass (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Wehrlein consolidating his championship lead (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Home favourite Jake Dennis on the Andretti winning the race! (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Yeah, Portland baby! (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,177 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:59

Fy-bv-LQWc-AMCPWIf4.jpg

WHEN: This weekend, on Saturday night! 
WHERE: Portland International Raceway, Oregon

WHY: Formula E meets Indycar in its terrain. Will the race go Full Indy as well? 

-----------------------------------------------------

Formula E is ready to enter the final leg of this incredible Season 9!   :up:  :up: 

After the huge doubts of the Pre-Season Testing, the new Gen 3 car delivered a set of ever-increasing dramatic & tight as hell races. 
The little but fierce Gen 3 car alllows for super close racing in every kind of circuit, and based on the layout the style of racing can be different, more tactical in the faster circuits, pedal on the metal on the tighter tracks. 
Every weekend is a question mark, full of unknowns, and that's exciting!

nick-cassidy-of-envision-racing-during-t

Portland, Rome, London.
3 races to define the first Gen 3 Formula E World Champion.
The stakes are high, the drama rises, as there are at least 4 drivers in realistic contention for the crown. 

This weekend it's going to be one of the most interesting races ever of the serie.
Racing on the Indycar's soil of the Portland International Raceway, Formula E gets his first taste of the American Motorsport experience!

Will the race go FULL INDY too? 
Well, that's what we're here for!

Let's get right into it!

f13lo-6.jpg

PORTLAND, THE FIRST PURE TRADTIONAL TRACK OF FORMULA E 

"Formula E gears up for a sixth visit to the United States of America, this time at Portland International Raceway for the very first time as the championship makes a move to Oregon after five prior trips and 10 races total in Brooklyn’s Red Hook neighbourhood and the Brooklyn Street Circuit in New York City.

Formula E has raced in America every single season since it first took to the track in 2014, and the Southwire Portland E-Prix represents the latest venue in the series' storied American history"

The permanent circuit has a lot of Motorsport heritage, and the layout has a history of providing some close battles.
In 1997, the premier American single-seater series saw the closest three-way finish on a road course as Mark Blundell bested Gil de Ferran and Raul Boesel by half a tenth of a second"

10-12-Blundell-Twin-Checkers-Portland199

One curious fact about Portland: the track originated after a massive flood wiped out an entire town, leaving behind nothing but roads that could be used as a racetrack during Portland's iconic Rose Festival.

The track became a home for professional motorsport in 1975 when the Trans-Am Series began competing at the track, and in the decades that followed, IndyCar and the NASCAR Truck Series followed suit.
The track saw a significant slowdown in competition during the 2000s and 2010s, but it has been revived as a coveted racing venue for IndyCar and the NASCAR Xfinity Series in the past few years.

Now, it's Formula E's turn to write another chapter of the history of this iconic Racetrack. 

1015x508.jpg

The track's one of the longest Formula E will have raced on at 3.190km and 12 turns.
Opposed to what we've saw in Valencia, another traditional venue FE visited in the past, here the track will basically remain the same as the original!

Only a minor modification will take place in Turns 1 (apex a bit tightened) and 7, where Attack Mode lane will be placed.

The rest of the track is unchanged, wich means the drivers will be able to unleash the Gen 3's potential in the fast section, expecially in the long, curved straight between turns 7 & 9, wich is probably set to be the fastest section of Formula E history, with the cars reaching speeds above 280 km/h in Quali mode.
The quick flick, left right, of Turn 10 is set to be another place to watch, as the cars will reach that point at their top speed, turning at the edge of grip.

A big, important test for the serie, wich is set to race 28 laps here, on the Portland International Raceway.

A special race, that every driver wants to win.

Portland-T4-Pano.png

Jump onboard with Roberto Mehri in the Mahindra simulator, to get a feel of what's going to look like in a Formula E Car! 

OR, refresh your mind about this iconic racetrack, onboard with Scott McLaughlin, in his 2022 Indycar Pole Lap!

THE BATTLE FOR THE TITLE IS GETTING INTENSE!

The fight for World Championship honours, meanwhile, is looking to be a five-horse race. 
Not bad, isn't it?  :smoking:

TAG Heuer Porsche's Pascal Wehrlein is leading by 1 point (!!) over Jake Dennis on the home favourite car, the Andretti Porsche 99X Electric!

After an imperious start of the Season, Wehrlein lost big points between Cape Town & Monaco, while his opponents have been gearing up, expecially in the shape of Nick Cassidy & Mitch Evans.
Two kiwis, for one title.

cassidy-evans-formula-e-goodwood-0505202

Cassidy has been super impressive all season long so far, with masterclasses in Berlin & Monaco. He's now 6 points behind Wehrlein.

Mitch Evans had a super though start of the season, with reliability issues & teammates crashing into him (twice, last time out in Jakarta, always Sam Bird). 
But the Jaguar ace will never give up, and he can put in stunning drives like in Sao Paolo & Monaco: he's now 25 points behind Wehrlein. All open still! 

Jean Eric Vergne is in the most precarious position, 37 points behind Wehrlein, but his stunning drive in Hyderabad and his consistency can still be the key to win this title!

formula_e_hyderabad_electric_motor_news_

WEEKEND TIMETABLE: RACING IN THE EUROPEAN NIGHT!

The action at Portland International Raceway will begin on Friday, with the First Practice Session.  | 0.00 UTC Time

Saturday, it will be the main programme schedule, with the FP2 at 17.30 UTC time, Quali at 19.40.

The long awaited, Portland e-Prix will go green in the European night between Saturday & Sunday, with the start time set at 0.04 UTC Time   :smoking:  :smoking: 

Fz-Dm-MSVa-AAACcy-O.jpg

All set, ready to go in Portland!

This have all the ingredients to be a new Formula E classic, so...

Gentlemen, start your e-ngines!

Fwx-EOEia-EAAvbr.jpg

Advertisement

#2 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,137 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 13:24

Really looking forward to this and curious to see how they perform on such a classic, permanent track.

#3 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,101 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 14:30

Great opening post (as always)! My only quibble with the poll is, I would have chosen "all of the above"!

Are there any concerns about energy usage being so high that they'll be crawling at the finish? Hope not, this is the kind of place where God intended cars to race - as proved by His intervention in organising a flood.

#4 MattK9

MattK9

• 819 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 14:34

The race is mid-night UTC... so 0100 BST. Oh no....

The misses wont be pleased when I am a little sleepy on Sunday.

#5 MattK9

MattK9

• 819 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 14:37

Great opening post (as always)! My only quibble with the poll is, I would have chosen "all of the above"!

Are there any concerns about energy usage being so high that they'll be crawling at the finish? Hope not, this is the kind of place where God intended cars to race - as proved by His intervention in organising a flood.

Portland should be be easier on energy usage given that it is a higher speed track.

Edit: I see that The Race are reporting that the race will be a peloton style race with high energy saving. They probably know better than I!

Edited by MattK9, 21 June 2023 - 20:36.

#6 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,454 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 15:15

The braking at the end of the back straight and into turn 1 will likely provide a massive amount of recovery, and it is interesting that attack mode is the outside of a turn which had become a major overtaking opportunity for the Indycars themselves.  

My main fear is a lot of drivers taking the lack of nearby walls to mentally mean the place is consequence-free, and trying something extra stupid as a result.  The driver who can best blend their aggression with the precision to manage the tires and their energy levels should come out with a big advantage, as there will be plenty of overtaking opportunities that also cannot be defended easily.

#7 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,137 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 15:35

How much additional interest (if any) do we think racing at Portland will generate within the motorsport community but outside of those of us watching regularly?

One of the most common statements/complaints these days (after the demise of the car swap after Gen1 and FanBoost after Gen2) seems to be about the nature of the circuits.

Edited by Ben1445, 21 June 2023 - 15:36.

#8 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,843 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 15:41

f13lo-6.jpg

When I saw this photo I immediately thought "Jabroc"

#9 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,177 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 15:49

How much additional interest (if any) do we think racing at Portland will generate within the motorsport community but outside of those of us watching regularly?

One of the most common statements/complaints these days (after the demise of the car swap after Gen1 and FanBoost after Gen2) seems to be about the nature of the circuits.

By going to Portland, Formula E kinda is aiming to generate interest in the American's more pure Motorsport audience, i think.

The NYC circuit was maybe good for the media, the skyline thing ecc, but i doubt it attracted a lot of "pure" motorsport fans; bet casual spectators were the majority.

By racing on a circuit, on the other hand, it's a completely different audience. 

It'll be interesting to see how they'll react and how much interest there is around the race, there on track.

And i hope to see a few new faces here on the thread too, maybe curious to see FE on a track!  

Another sim lap, this time with Ghiotto, test driver of Nissan

Edited by thegamer23, 21 June 2023 - 15:57.

#10 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,137 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 16:16

Both the Mahindra and Nissan sim laps clocking in something like 1m11 or 1m12 lap times, though I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be showing off their true lap pace to their rivals ahead of the event. 

Even so - 71-72 seconds around this 3.221km iteration of Portland is 161-163 kph average speed. 

Fastest pole lap to date was Fenestraz in Cape Town with 154.99 kph. That's followed by Valencia (140.47 kph), Mexico City (139.82 kph), Hyderabad (139.37 kph). and Marrakesh (138.78 kph) 

#11 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,137 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 16:32

Only recently learned (as mentioned in the ever brilliant OP) that PIR is built over what was once Vanport, a city of wartime public housing which was destroyed in the 1948 Columbia river floods. The original circuit was formed largely from the roads left over, and revised over time into what we know today as Portland International Raceway. 

Made these: 

Screenshot-2023-06-21-at-17-26-49.png

Screenshot-2023-06-21-at-17-26-57.png

Screenshot-2023-06-21-at-17-26-36.png

7q4037.gif

Edited by Ben1445, 22 June 2023 - 10:10.

#12 RSRally

RSRally

• 2,041 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 04:47

Looking forward to watching the cars around here flat out in qualy.

I really hope they haven't gone too ambitous on race lenghth though. I don't think crusing around a fast open track like this would be a good look.

#13 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,177 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 07:26

Andretti goes all black for the Portland e-Prix! 

Fz-NMYa7-X0-AM-Lg-H.jpg

Fz-NMl-SWYAAdva-P.jpg

Tomorrow, it's already Free Practice 1 day!

Fz-E9-R-e-Xg-AIYi-GB.png

Edited by thegamer23, 22 June 2023 - 07:30.

#14 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,137 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 07:49

Looking forward to watching the cars around here flat out in qualy.

I really hope they haven't gone too ambitous on race lenghth though. I don't think crusing around a fast open track like this would be a good look.

I do hope Jakarta was instructive on exactly what energy levels lead to the best racing for FE. I personally think there might be more risk in setting the limits too generously and it being a boring procession with little to no action than something more energy limited with heavy slipstreaming tactics.

Watching the Indy 500 last month there were tactics of lifting and coasting from the leaders early in the race, and some degree of swapping in and out of the lead in that early phase to save fuel. Towards the end of the race the pace started to pick up as fuel numbers became clear and ... well, this year there was a right old mess of yellows breeding yellows ... but generally then it becomes a shoot-out between whoever has got themselves into the lead grouping at that point. In any case, there are clear parallels between that and some of the more energy limited ePrix we have seen.

I'd be interested to see how a race similar to the Monaco ePrix would play out on a higher speed track like this. I think once Cassidy had the energy to make the finish going flat-out, Evans had little chance as the chasing driver even if he had more usable energy because of the nature of the circuit. Running higher average speeds around Portland in the same sort of situation might see the slipstream effect have more of an impact at flat-out racing speeds, in something perhaps a little closer to Da Costa's scrap with Vergne in Cape Town.

Basically, as long as the race is exciting and engaging, I'm not sure the ultimate speed matters too much.

Edited by Ben1445, 22 June 2023 - 09:53.

#15 Peat

Peat

• 8,873 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 08:07

Andretti goes all black for the Portland e-Prix! 

You sure? Is that not just a generic series show-car? (given the sponsors on it)

#16 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,177 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 08:24

You sure? Is that not just a generic series show-car? (given the sponsors on it)

https://twitter.com/...2076596227?s=20

#17 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,137 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 10:22

Think it's interesting to note that this differs from the permanent circuit stand-ins from covid years (Valencia, Puebla). 

Whilst it is true that Portland essentially replaces New York due to creeping unsuitability of the venue (arguably FE outgrew it during Gen2, there's very limited room to add new attendance capacity and to cap it off there's increased cruise operations and construction work), Portland Internal Raceway is a very suitable venue for FE. It has some vague street-circuit links in its past, is relatively short and is in very close proximity to a proudly 'climate-friendly' city and easily accessible by light rail/public transit.

It even came up in past discussions on this forum about suitable permanent venues for FE after races in Mexico City, Valencia and Puebla alongside suggestions of Circuit Gilles Villeneuve (theoretically :well: ) in Montreal, Autodromo Oscar Galvez in Buenos Aires and similar. Not only is is now here this weekend, but it's on the provisional 2024 calendar as well. There's talk of a Los Angeles race for 2025, but I don't think there's much harm in having both. 

Would be really interest to know how FE and PIR view this event, and what long term ideas there may or may not be to establish it as a regular thing. 

Edited by Ben1445, 22 June 2023 - 10:23.

#18 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,286 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 11:57

I have lots of friends going to this one.

Definitely will be watching.
Jp

#19 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 12:25

I hope it will be a proper race and not a cyclist stage. I really wonder which laptimes they can muster.

Advertisement

#20 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 13:10

When I saw this photo I immediately thought "Jabroc"

The skid plate material of the time if I recall correctly.

#21 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,137 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 13:20

Information so far might would suggest 1m11 laps at full speed (but we’ll see)

If the race pace drop-off is within typical ranges we might see 1m13 or 1m14 race laps.

With a race of 28 laps we might expect to last around 35 minutes (typically 40-50 mins).

Should be a net energy use then of 1.285 kWh/lap or, since lap lengths are variable, 0.40 kWh/km. That’s right in the ballpark of races so far - lowest were Sau Paulo and Berlin 1 at 0.38 kWh/km, with the highest being Cape Town and Jakarta 1 at 0.43/0.42 kWh/km.

Initial numbers perhaps suggesting they’ll let them stretch their legs at something between the two extremes so far this season at the expense of race duration.

But that’s my very quick finger-in-the-air mostly unofficial numbers. Take them with a pinch of salt.

Edited by Ben1445, 22 June 2023 - 13:23.

#22 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,454 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 13:25

The race is claiming a big energy save peloton to start, with the last quarter of the race being a knife fight.  But Cassidy made a big success out of the second Berlin race by taking the lead early, and then setting the pace he wanted, daring people to overtake him before he hit his target (no one did).  So, I guess we shall see.

#23 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 13:36

I might make an effort for this one. I haven’t watched FE since the last time they used a proper circuit in Valencia. When even was that?

I find the all street circuit format tiring, especially as a lot of the tracks were far too twisty, narrow and slow. I just lost interest. But this might be worth a watch. I do like this circuit too.

#24 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,137 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 14:09

I might make an effort for this one. I haven’t watched FE since the last time they used a proper circuit in Valencia. When even was that?

A decent amount has actually changed since then (aside from the cars themselves). The qualifying format overhaul to make the grids less like a lottery came in 2022. As did shift from energy reductions after safety cars to the new format of added laps (achieving the same thing whilst being infinitely more intuitive to understand). They're a lot less strict on process/admin penalties as well these days after Porsche (quite rightfully) likely had a stern word with them after Puebla. FanBoost is finally a thing of the past as of this season and replaced by Predictor, which is basically what they should have done from day one for digital fan-engagement. 

I find the all street circuit format tiring, especially as a lot of the tracks were far too twisty, narrow and slow. I just lost interest. But this might be worth a watch. I do like this circuit too.

This complaint comes up so much it's obviously it's worth listening to. The circuits added for this season (Hyderabad, Cape Town, São Paulo, Portland) are typically faster and less twisty than some of the worst offenders to date and Portland is, of course, permanent. They maybe do have something of a challenge in maintaining all-important calendar stability whilst shifting to suitable tracks for Gen3/4, but I think these new venues are encouraging. 

There was this article earlier in the year as well: 

Formula E's Future Could Be Circuits Like Portland
https://jalopnik.com...land-1850005542

"If we can have a few more events like this,” Reigle said, gesturing at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, itself a permanent circuit, albeit one in the center of Mexico City, “then it would be a good balance. It’s a good opportunity to test these cars on the existing infrastructure of a race track.”

Edited by Ben1445, 22 June 2023 - 14:16.

#25 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,177 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 15:35

"Chainsaw man" Andrè Lotterer

Fz-OMd-TSX0-Ac-TFPwx3.jpg

Fancy a food guide around Portland??   :smoking:  :love: 

49279893851_d14d1b5403_b.jpg

Edited by thegamer23, 22 June 2023 - 15:59.

#26 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,137 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 07:13

I believe the last time FE ran with a US-style pitlane with a wall was Montreal 2017. 

Fz-RM0n-Jag-AA9-RW9.jpg

#27 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,177 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 07:16

Think so!

Tonight, at 0.00 UK time, Practice 1 LIVE on Youtube!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

#28 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,177 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 10:55

#29 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,843 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 12:28

This will be the first FE race I'm intending to watch in full since Beijing 2014. Just because of Portland.

#30 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,177 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 15:42

Portland, looking good! 

Spacesuit-Media-Adam-Pigott-396510-1024x

Drivers are predicting a blistering fast quali for FE standards, with the machines pushed to the limit as we'll see the average speed record being broken.

The Race, however, will likely be quite different & more strategic, with the Berlin style pack racing expcted in the first half of the race.
Could be quite a unique one to watch for the fans at the track, used to the more traditional racing.

Spacesuit-Media-Peter-Minnig-396587-1024

Edited by thegamer23, 23 June 2023 - 15:44.

#31 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,177 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 19:06

Curious stuff!

1c3.png

1c34.png

#32 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,878 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 19:45

Well, due to chickpox I can not go too far until maybe sometime next week. At least I got some racing to watch

#33 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,286 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 20:57

Chicks with the pox. Plenty in Portland.
Jp

#34 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,177 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 21:14

Practice 1 in a bit less than 2 hours

https://www.youtube....o?feature=share

Edited by thegamer23, 23 June 2023 - 21:14.

#35 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,137 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 22:54

Going to be interesting I think

#36 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,137 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 23:33

Ooh it’s weird seeing such a familiar IndyCar venue on an FE broadcast

#37 FLB

FLB

• 29,931 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 23:38

Practice 1 in a bit less than 2 hours

Live now!

Edited by FLB, 23 June 2023 - 23:38.

#38 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,137 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 23:50

Looks like a handful on grip from that shakedown onboard

#39 FLB

FLB

• 29,931 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 23:52

So, so weird looking at the onboard for a track from which I've been watching races for more than 30 years...

Edited by FLB, 23 June 2023 - 23:52.

Advertisement

#40 eab

eab

• 1,028 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 23:57

Bird AND Lotterer? "Don't call it a comeback"

#41 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,137 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 00:02

This is so weird

#42 FLB

FLB

• 29,931 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 00:06

Compared to the IndyCars, the cars are just so... tiny.

#43 FLB

FLB

• 29,931 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 00:10

Nigel Beresford sighting.

Well, there's a man who's been to Portland once or twice...  :up:

Edited by FLB, 24 June 2023 - 00:10.

#44 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,137 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 00:12

163.61 kph is the current fastest lap

154.9 was Fenestraz’s pole in Cape Town

#45 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,454 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 00:17

The new telemetry is a great idea.  It's an easy visual.  

Also, currently into the 1:10s, Cassidy predicting a low 1:09 or 1:08 for pole.  269 at the end of the straight.  Will gearing actually become an issue for some drivers trying to make passes?

#46 eab

eab

• 1,028 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 00:18

First sub-1:10, by 'mr FE' himself.

#47 FLB

FLB

• 29,931 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 00:19

Festival Curves Bypass by JEV!

Edited by FLB, 24 June 2023 - 00:19.

#48 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,454 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 00:19

Formula E Gen 4 to Road America?

grinch-evil-grin.gif

#49 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,137 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 00:20

I would like to see… Formula E… at Milwaukee

(Or any similar oval really, that just happened to rhyme)

#50 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,454 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 00:21

Milwaukee would actually be a decent shout, since you'd definitely get solid regen into the corners, because it's so comparatively flat.