Photo

Napier-Railton glimpse at Pendine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 11:10

In this anniversary year of Dylan Thomas's death the presently embattled Beeb are presenting this Napier-Railton at Pendine gem right now:

https://www.bbc.co.u...-wales-27557188

The Brooklands Outer Circuit perpetual lap record holder had been rigged with a fake nose cowl for the 1951 movie 'Pandora and the Flying Dutchman', while Thomas the perennially pickled poet featured amongst the crowd...

My one-time editor at 'Motor Racing' - Cyril Posthumus - had built the model LSR car which featured in the movie's inevitable speed record-attempt crash sequence, so I have long been familiar with the feature film, but until this morning had no idea of any Dylan Thomas connection.

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 09 July 2023 - 11:15.

Advertisement

#2 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 13:39

Perhaps making "And Death Shall Have No Dominion" most apposite. As an aside, when I was about to leave school in '63, someone in Pin Mill offered me a Straight 8 Railton for £10 - Being a mere schoolboy, I didn't have ten quid.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 09 July 2023 - 13:41.

#3 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 20:21

What a great find, even if just a fleeting appearance. Must admit I've always preferred his monologues to his poetry, "The Outing" (to Porthcawl) being a particular favorite - and not just because I used to frequent The Fitzroy Tavern off Tottenham Court Road, formerly his local in London (along with one or two other hostelries ...). .

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,008 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 20:33

Dylan Thomas expert: Dylan Thomas!!!

Cerys Matthews:  Dylan Thomas!!!

BBC: Dylan Thomas!!!

TNF: Napier-Railton!!!

#5 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,096 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 10:23

My one-time editor at 'Motor Racing' - Cyril Posthumus - had built the model LSR car which featured in the movie's inevitable speed record-attempt crash sequence, so I have long been familiar with the feature film, but until this morning had no idea of any Dylan Thomas connection.

DCN

My teens were spent reading Dylan Thomas at school and Cyril Posthumus in Motor Racing, Autosport, and Model Cars (don't try pronouncing the plural of that magazine). How often do I read Dylan Thomas now? Llareggub. How often do I read Cyril Posthumus? Well, I'm half way through my 99th reading of his German Grand Prix book at the moment.

#6 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 10:56

Surely only a matter of time before an expert creator of video deepfakes - which use AI to transplant one person's head onto another person's body - puts DT behind the wheel of the Napier-Railton while reciting a slug of poetry, keeping all parties happy?

Though I'm not sure he ever learned how to drive, let alone was in a fit condition to do so. But that should only add to the excitement.

Edited by Odseybod, 10 July 2023 - 10:58.

#7 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,008 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 12:40

Under Milk Wood Brothers?

#8 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 11:19

Though as an aside, I worked with Cerys' brother at Formula One Management.